• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#21 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,965 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 05:05 PM

The only problem is that the NFL has it's ProBowl on NBC this Sunday night. Again, if the WC gets delayed, we have issues with running into the ProBowl, which starts at 7:00 Eastern, IIRC.

I can't believe the idiocy of having both All-Star/Pro events the same day.

Pro Bowl? A game even more meaningless than the NHL ASG? It's even worse now when theoretically you don't have players from the best 2 teams in the NFL there.

#22 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,898 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 08:54 AM

Pro Bowl? A game even more meaningless than the NHL ASG? It's even worse now when theoretically you don't have players from the best 2 teams in the NFL there.

Agreed. I have been an avid football fan all of my life and have yet to bother watching a single Pro Bowl.

#23 SouthernWingsFan

SouthernWingsFan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 24,609 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 08:28 AM

If the risk of bad weather didn't possibly warrant game time changes, I'd be all for putting it on Super Bowl weekend on midday.

I think the weekend before Super Bowl weekend is a fabulous idea. Alumni game on a Saturday and the Winter Classic on a Sunday per usual.

How about the All-Star game as well that weekend on a Saturday, and the skills competition on a Friday evening, or do you think that is too much to pull off in an outdoor venue?

Because for the most part, I still like All-Star weekend. I don't pay attention too intently as it's the land of no defense and very little physical play, which I perfectly understand given the game doesn't officially count, but I still enjoy it and I enjoy the skills competition even though some of it is hot dogging and being a goofball. If they're having fun with it and not showing anybody up to piss other players off, I'm having fun as well.

#24 WingsFanInBeanLand

WingsFanInBeanLand

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 55 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 11:15 AM

How about an Original Six Winter Classic Tournament?

The teams would be seeded according to their position in the standings at the start of the tourney. The first and second place teams, according to standings, would meet the winners of the lower seeded games.

The 5th and 6th place teams would play the first game on Monday, the winner to meet the 1st place team on Wednesday.

The 3rd and 4th place teams would play the second game on Tuesday, the winners to meet the 2nd place team on Thursday.

The winners of the Wednesday and Thursday games would then play for the Winter Classic Championship on Saturday.

I havenít delved deep enough into how this would fit into an 82 game schedule. I just think itís a cool idea.

The following would be according to the standings as of today 1/30/2012.

Posted Image