• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
b.shanafan14

Stars' Brenden Morrow available?

Rate this topic

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=386166

Fresh from the Bob McKenzie rumor mill:

Here's a question a lot of contending NHL teams are asking today: Is Brenden Morrow of the Dallas Stars available for trade?

There is certainly some talk within the NHL community anticipating that Morrow "may" become available between now and the NHL trade deadline.

But the Stars are right in the thick of the playoff race, currently sitting in 10th place, just three points out of eighth and have played fewer games than any of the teams immediately in front of them.

Morrow has this season and one more with an annual cap hit of $4.1 million, and he has a no-trade clause.

So if Morrow doesn't want to move, he's not going anywhere and the Stars are certainly not in a position where they necessarily "need" to trade their captain. And because of the NTC, they're not about to aggressively shop him either.

But that doesn't mean there aren't contenders interested in targeting him as a possible acquisition.

Seems like its mostly speculation, but could be interesting. Despite a dip in production, possibly due to injury and reduced ice-time, I always thought the guy was built for the playoffs. He plays with a lot of energy, hits like a cannonball, and can score some clutch goals. His production has been dropping and he hasn't had a sniff at the playoffs since the Wings eliminated the Stars in 2008.

However, if available at little cost and willing to play with a cup contender like the Wings, I'd definitely be interested. What do you folks think? What is he worth?

I'd take him. In fact, that's what happened to me in NHL 12 (the Stars offered him for Hudler and McGrattan) and I won the Cup!

He'd be a beast and would play his heart on every shift for a Cup. And he's still a pretty solid player, albeit he's struggled a little this year. Maybe a change of scenery would spark him.

Would I want him over Perry, Iginla or Ryan? No. But those guys would likely be harder to get.

Edited by GMRwings1983

Morrow has been one of my favorite non-Wings for years. Guy is a real gamer. I'd be ecstatic if we got him. He's won a Cup, plays his heart out every shift, he's a leader on the ice and in the locker room, goes to the dirty areas, and adds grit to the lineup. He's scored 22 points in 41 games this season. He just turned 33, so he's got a few years left in him. Additionally, and most importantly, he's solid in the playoffs. Last time Dallas made the playoffs in '08, he scored 15 points in 18 games.

Quick summary: I'd nut if we got Brenden Morrow.

Morrow has been one of my favorite non-Wings for years. Guy is a real gamer. I'd be ecstatic if we got him. He's won a Cup, plays his heart out every shift, he's a leader on the ice and in the locker room, goes to the dirty areas, and adds grit to the lineup. He's scored 22 points in 41 games this season. He just turned 33, so he's got a few years left in him. Additionally, and most importantly, he's solid in the playoffs. Last time Dallas made the playoffs in '08, he scored 15 points in 18 games.

Quick summary: I'd nut if we got Brenden Morrow.

I don't think he ever won a Cup.

I'd take him. In fact, that's what happened to me in NHL 12 (the Stars offered him for Hudler and McGrattan) and I won the Cup!

He'd be a beast and would play his heart on every shift for a Cup. And he's still a pretty solid player.

Would I want him over Perry, Iginla or Ryan? No. But those guys would likely be harder to get.

Sounds good to me!

Morrow, Hemsky and Nabakov....plan the parade!

...and no, he hasn't won a Cup. His rookie season was the year they lost the Cup to the Devils...

Edited by LeftWinger

He'd be a beast and would play his heart on every shift for a Cup. And he's still a pretty solid player, albeit he's struggled a little this year. Maybe a change of scenery would spark him.

Honestly, I don't see this one as unfeasible :P. Hudler's production is increasing again while Morrow's stock is falling. I think Morrow would be perfect, plays a physical game, could keep the flies off better than anyone else we have at the moment, and seems like a great leader. His cap hit is a bit on the high side, but if the Wings can afford to absorb it next season, it would be helped by dropping Hudler's hit. We might have to sweeten the deal a bit more due to Hudler's size and speed (or lack there of), but honestly, even trade I think.

He is hungry and could probably use the change in scenery. Morrow (and a fourth rounder) for Hudler (and a third rounder). Get it done, Kenny

Edited by b.shanafan14

I would take him in a heartbeat but I don't think I would want to give up what it would take to get him - I doubt Dallas would be especially interested in Hudler and I doubt I would part with Filppula to make it happen. He would be a great addition though, that's for sure.

Morrow would be an amazing addition although I think he has years left on his contract and makes quite a bit

One more year @ $4.1M. The issue is that a lot of teams would be interested in his services so that might start a bidding war that might get a little to high.

This is the kind of guy you win a cup with on your team, there is no doubt he would fit, the missing piece, Drake-esque.

Yep, except he can still score, unlike Drake at that time. I've never really liked us playing against Morrow, but that's a compliment to him. I just had a big debate with someone recently about the toughness level of the new NHL that started with me saying how much I like Brendan Morrow as a player. I would be ecstatic to get him, he brings so much of what we need. Get er done Kenny!

I don't think I'm getting it... So the Stars are in a playoff race, but *may* drop out of it. And if they do, *maybe* Morrow would wave his no trade clause, *if* the Wings had the right assets?

I mean, it would interesting; but is this the length we have to go to for rumors now? There aren't any players a little more available we could speculate about?

I saw this on TSN and thought, holy s***... this guy might be the best option to pick up at the deadline.

He does add much that we need. I think we need to get whoever we get without giving up ANY of our forward prospects from overseas. I am okay giving up any of our North American forwards.. (they aren't that good) I would even be okay giving up one of our recent defensemen prospects. I feel we have so much in the pipeline that I wouldn't want to give up much for the future.

I am also okay with Selanne.

Not exactly sure where he would go assuming the Wings have any outside shot at landing him. However, he's definitely more ideal if you wanted to have him as a top-six/bottom-six tweener. Much better than Hudler in that regard.

If he's on the bottom-six I'd cage him up and then let him loose on the ice as a wrecking ball like Dallas Drake. If he's on the top six then you have someone who can keep pucks down low and create space for Zetterberg and Filppula.