• Please log in to reply
83 replies to this topic

#21 matemate

matemate

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 82 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 08:55 PM

Morrow and Moen is what we need. Prust and Ruutu would be nice too.

Morrow-Datsyuk-Franzen
Filppula-Zetterberg-Ruutu
Mursak-Helm-Bertuzzi
Moen-Abdelkader-Prust

Lidstrom - White
Stuart - Kronwall
Ericsson - Commandore

Edited by matemate, 27 January 2012 - 08:58 PM.

#22 Dominator2005

Dominator2005

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,293 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 09:11 PM

Morrow-Datsyuk-Franzen
Mursak-Helm-Bertuzzi
Moen-Abdelkader-Prust

Lidstrom - White
Stuart - Kronwall
Ericsson - Commandore

Trade Big E for Peckhman and that's it!
"Some guys dream about scoring goals, or making big saves... I swear to God I dream about kicking ass in a hockey fight - no other way to say it than I love to do it, its who I am"... Brian McGrattan

#23 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,703 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 09:47 PM

Morrow-Datsyuk-Franzen
Mursak-Helm-Bertuzzi
Moen-Abdelkader-Prust

Lidstrom - White
Stuart - Kronwall
Ericsson - Commandore

I love the looks to this lineup, but there's no way the Rangers deal Prust. Also, you're missing Holmstrom. Realistically, this is what I'd like to see:

Morrow-Datsyuk-Franzen
Filppula-Zetterberg-Hudler
Moen-Helm-Bertuzzi
Miller-Abdelkader-Holmstrom
Mursak

Lidstrom-White
Kronwall-Stuart
Ericsson-Commodore
Kindl

I think we'll be able to get one of Moen or Morrow, but even the thought of being able to get both of them seems a litte unrealistic. We don't have that many bargaining chips. We'll find out.
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#24 dobbles

dobbles

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 09:58 PM

i am really surprised at how many people are advocating multiple changes... i know you all want us to get tougher and grittier, but personally, i would rather only make 1 or possibly 2 roster changes down the stretch. its kind of silly to throw off the chemistry of a team that has been top 5 in goals scored and goals against most of the season...

I love Maltby, but to say he wasn't a ****** is a dis-service to his career of douchebaggery.

#25 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,703 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 10:07 PM

i am really surprised at how many people are advocating multiple changes... i know you all want us to get tougher and grittier, but personally, i would rather only make 1 or possibly 2 roster changes down the stretch. its kind of silly to throw off the chemistry of a team that has been top 5 in goals scored and goals against most of the season...

Yeah I don't want to see us to tinker with the roster too much, but I feel a change or two would benefit the team down the road in the playoffs.
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#26 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,911 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 10:26 PM

Problem is, and I do agree with you, but they are playing absolutely abysmal on the road. If it wasn't for a 17 game win streak at home where would they be in the standings? They most certainly wouldn't be #1 overall. I am glad that they are nearly unbeatable at home, but sooner or later they are going to have to win on the road, especially if they want a Cup. I am not saying multiple changes would do the trick, but a couple of changes to wake up our team on the road. I have no idea what Holland will do, we can all wish in one hand and you know what in the other for the players we like, but Holland is going to do what is best, or what he feels is the best for this team. He says he wants a top 6 guy, if a deal presents itself then he'll pop at it, if the other teams want to rape him (which most teams do) then he will go into the playoffs status quo and try to make his changes in July. Morrow and Moen would most definitely change the makeup of this team to a bit more snarly. I think Morrow is a top 6 forward and would fit nicely in our top 6 and Moen would make our bottom six even that much more tougher to play against. He could slide in with Helm and Cleary moving Miller back to the 4th line, where he would make Abdelkader better.

I dunno, sure we are in a great spot right now, but we are gonna need to be able to get past St. Louis/San Jose and Chicago on the road eventually, possibly in the playoffs and right now, as has been most of the season, they just can't do it. But if the deals are just too rich for Holland, I am ready for them to give it their best shot with who they have...

Bring Fedorov Home For A Day!

He Needs To Retire A Red Wing.

When Gordie Leaves Us, the NHL MUST Retire The #9.

#27 rick zombo

rick zombo

Grit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,478 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 10:42 PM

Problem is, and I do agree with you, but they are playing absolutely abysmal on the road. If it wasn't for a 17 game win streak at home where would they be in the standings? They most certainly wouldn't be #1 overall. I am glad that they are nearly unbeatable at home, but sooner or later they are going to have to win on the road, especially if they want a Cup. I am not saying multiple changes would do the trick, but a couple of changes to wake up our team on the road. I have no idea what Holland will do, we can all wish in one hand and you know what in the other for the players we like, but Holland is going to do what is best, or what he feels is the best for this team. He says he wants a top 6 guy, if a deal presents itself then he'll pop at it, if the other teams want to rape him (which most teams do) then he will go into the playoffs status quo and try to make his changes in July. Morrow and Moen would most definitely change the makeup of this team to a bit more snarly. I think Morrow is a top 6 forward and would fit nicely in our top 6 and Moen would make our bottom six even that much more tougher to play against. He could slide in with Helm and Cleary moving Miller back to the 4th line, where he would make Abdelkader better.

I dunno, sure we are in a great spot right now, but we are gonna need to be able to get past St. Louis/San Jose and Chicago on the road eventually, possibly in the playoffs and right now, as has been most of the season, they just can't do it. But if the deals are just too rich for Holland, I am ready for them to give it their best shot with who they have...

One of the best posts I've read in a while.

The only thing I could add is that this team would do equally well with a legit goal scoring winger. But Morrow with his intangibles and physical play would be equally useful.
"In Detroit, every day is a good day to win"

#28 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 11:00 PM

I'd much rather get a point producer like Vermette, A.Kostitsyn, Grabovski, Hemsky or Selanne, or a defenseman like Gleason than just bottom line grinder like Morrow or Moen. You should get those type players via free agency because having to give up assets for them is just bad hockey management they are a dime a dozen in the league. Morrow would have been great a few years ago before his injuries, but he's a shell of himself especially for his projected cost, if Holland can get a good deal I'd love it, I just don't see Dallas trading their captain for scraps. And Moen is just a older, slower version of Abdelkader.

Selanne isn't going anywhere, Hemsky is lazy and injury-prone, Grabovski isn't going anywhere (barring a ridiculous offer), Vermette is not really a producer, and Kostitsyn is a one-dimensional second-liner. Gleason, sure, provided that Ericsson is the one who leaves.

I agree that Morrow is not worth buying, given the remaining time on his contract.

A lot of people seem to ignore the intangibles of roster management and instead treat trades as they would be in NHL 12.

#29 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,611 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 11:04 PM

I see two trades happening, maximum. Probably one. Holland is too smart to mess with everything. The idea at the trade deadline if you are a contender is to TWEAK your team, not rebuild it. Clearly a lot of things are going right for the Wings this year. But some more quality depth on the 4th line (either grittier or most importantly a centerman) would help down the stretch. And of course a new scoring winger wouldn't be frowned upon. Anything more than that is overkill. Look at 2008, the last time Holland did a significant move. He traded for Stuart, who was flying under the radar. An Ian White type signing. It wasn't hugely flashy but he was clearly the missing piece. I think we'll see something like that, even though it's fun to speculate about bringing in a star.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#30 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,088 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 04:19 AM

If all we did at the deadline was Morrow and Moen, I would be delighted. Moen is a pending UFA so could be had for a middling pick, and is exactly what we need on the bottom 6. Big, can play, can drop the gloves. Was great for the Ducks during their cup run.
"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#31 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,248 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 12:11 PM

Trade Big E for Peckhman and that's it!

Players with a NMC or NTC.

Datysuk, Bert, Homer, Lids (not that it matters), Ericsson.

#32 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,248 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 01:01 PM

Selanne isn't going anywhere, Hemsky is lazy and injury-prone, Grabovski isn't going anywhere (barring a ridiculous offer), Vermette is not really a producer, and Kostitsyn is a one-dimensional second-liner. Gleason, sure, provided that Ericsson is the one who leaves.

I agree that Morrow is not worth buying, given the remaining time on his contract.

A lot of people seem to ignore the intangibles of roster management and instead treat trades as they would be in NHL 12.

So then we go into the playoffs with a bottom pairing of Commodore/Kindl? No thanks.

Doesn't Morrow only have another year on his contract? The Wings would get him prorated for this season, then next season at $4.1 mill, which could be overpayment if he's injured or he could stay healthy and flourish in Detroit. His contract is similar to Mule's, and his regular season production could be similar as well. And unlike Franzen, he's physical and a pain in the ass to play against.

#33 Danielsm

Danielsm

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 481 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 01:55 PM

So then we go into the playoffs with a bottom pairing of Commodore/Kindl? No thanks.

Doesn't Morrow only have another year on his contract? The Wings would get him prorated for this season, then next season at $4.1 mill, which could be overpayment if he's injured or he could stay healthy and flourish in Detroit. His contract is similar to Mule's, and his regular season production could be similar as well. And unlike Franzen, he's physical and a pain in the ass to play against.

Commodore/Smith

Yes please.

#34 Buppy

Buppy

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,985 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 02:18 PM

If he's trading for Gleason, I'd assume Gleason would be on the third pair, or 2nd with Stuart moving down.

And yeah, I think Morrow would fit our needs pretty well, and the contract is fine. Maybe a bit less offense than Mule, but he did score 33 last year.

#35 darkmanx

darkmanx

Toronto's Finest

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,832 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 02:26 PM

Morrow on Z's line would cause a ton of turnovers and open up alot more space. I would rather Parise though.

#36 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,248 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 02:31 PM

Commodore/Smith

Yes please.

Smith looked promising in his time up with the Wings. But a rookie in the playoffs is always a little scary.

If he's trading for Gleason, I'd assume Gleason would be on the third pair, or 2nd with Stuart moving down.

And yeah, I think Morrow would fit our needs pretty well, and the contract is fine. Maybe a bit less offense than Mule, but he did score 33 last year.

Oh. right. I forgot that when we dealt for Gleason he would actually be playing for the Wings. :lol:

either way, Ericsson has a NMC, so as much joy as it would bring people to see him go, he'd have to agree to it.

#37 St. Michael (the Red Wing)

St. Michael (the Red Wing)

Heavenly With the Puck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 03:17 PM

If we got Morrow and Moen at the deadline... I don't know my reaction. We'd be the favorites to win the cup, that's for sure.

Bertuzzi-Datsyuk-Franzen
Filppula-Zetterberg-Morrow
Moen-Helm-Cleary
Miller-Abdelkader-Eaves/Holmstrom

Be nice to pick up a 4th line center so Abby could move to the wing, but still.

No way we get Moen and Morrow both...

#38 chrisdetroit

chrisdetroit

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,407 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 04:34 PM

Franzen 19 goals, 41 points, +25, GWG 9 (leads the league in GWG)

Morrow 8 goals, 22 points, +4, 1 GWG

There is no comparison. $4.1m per year for 22 points in 41 games. No thanks.

A LITTLE less. 41 points compared to 22 points. Almost 50% less...
Do or do not. There is no try

#39 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,911 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 05:34 PM

No way we get Moen and Morrow both...

No way we get Hossa, ever......oh wait.....

Never say never, but the odds are low, I agree.

Franzen 19 goals, 41 points, +25, GWG 9 (leads the league in GWG) only ONE actual goal that untied a game and stood as a game winner. Other 8 GWG's were goals that were scored after the Wings were already leading and the visitor failed to complete the comeback.

Morrow 8 goals, 22 points, +4, 1 GWG

There is no comparison. $4.1m per year for 22 points in 41 games. No thanks.

A LITTLE less. 41 points compared to 22 points. Almost 50% less...

besides, I wouldn't trade Franzen for Morrow, who ever suggested that is nuts. Franzen for Ryan or Perry? Yes, but Morrow should only cost some prospects and MAYBE a roster player, possibly named Hudler or Emmerton.

Edited by LeftWinger, 28 January 2012 - 05:35 PM.

Bring Fedorov Home For A Day!

He Needs To Retire A Red Wing.

When Gordie Leaves Us, the NHL MUST Retire The #9.

#40 newfy

newfy

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 06:59 PM

Morrow would be a good addition but I really hope the wings get Moen. He could help the terrible PK, give some toughness and has proven capable of shutting down top players when given the chance.

Emmerton plus a 5th for Moen would be great. I think Morrow will cost more then he is worth, but hes definitely a player who has that "Dallas Drake" kinda feel to him for sure

RIP BOB PROBERT #24