To Anaheim:

Stuart

Nyquist

Tatar

Kindl

1st

2nd

As dreams go, that's a pretty good one.

Regarding the topic, while a lot can change in a month, I'm not expecting much. Seems like too many teams are too close, and there won't be many big names moving. Maybe we send out a pick or two for a minor tweak, but I don't think there will be enough action for us to find a deal that fits.

We don't have anyone we would want to move. Hank is really the only one not performing up to standards. Maybe Cleary a little, but he's been ok for the role he's been in. Helm and Abby aren't doing it on offense, but I'd be shocked if either were moved. Miller/Emmy/Eaves/Mursak might go if we add another 4th liner, but more to give them an opportunity to play that they won't have here. Our good prospects I think we want to keep, unless we're adding a good, young, top-6 forward. Our lesser prospects wouldn't bring much in return, but someone like Andersson could maybe be moved instead of a late pick.

Bert and Homer aren't going anywhere (nor Pavs obvisouly). With Mule's contract, I don't think we could get an equitable return. If we moved Hudler, we'd need a top-6 scorer in return. I think the only teams interested in Hudler would be teams hurting for offense, and so they wouldn't want to part with another scorer. Flip is probably the only forward we could get enough of a return on to be worth it, but it seems no one (fans or management) wants to consider that.

On defense, it's not worth moving Stuie unless we're getting someone similar in return. It would seem only the the Ducks or Kings (if they even want him back) would be options. Beauchemin seemed like a good potential deal before he was re-signed. Greene might be alright, but he's kind of slow. But I don't see Stuie moving. Kindl could certainly be moved, maybe package him with a pick for someone like Gleason, though I think the team would be fine keeping him.

I think our team could use help on faceoffs, depth scoring, shot-blocking defensemen, physicality (especially in the top-6. I worry about the ability of Flip-Hank-Huds to produce in the playoffs) and backup goalie.

A gritty, top-6 caliber forward like Ruutu, Morrow, Erik Cole (not crazy about his contract though), or (unrealistic probably) Dustin Brown would likely be in our price range, and let us move Hudler, Flip, or Bert down to help depth scoring. Backup goalie and a shot-blocking upgrade to Kindl/Commie wouldn't be expensive either. A good faceoff man (Jarrett Stoll?) seems like it would be doable.

Flip-Pav-Ruutu

Mule-Hank-Bert

Cleary-Helm-Huds

Homer-Stoll-Abby

Nick-White

Nik-Stuie

E-Mark Stuart?

Probably more movement than we're likely to see, but I like that lineuup.

Ok, I don't get it. Franzen is one of the top playoff performers in the league the past 3-4 years. He is currently leading the entire league in Game winning Goals, he's on pace for 67 points and 31 goals and is +25. His point totals have increased the last 4 years (except the year when he had knee surgery)) 30, 38, 59, 55, 67. He has played over 70 games in 4 of the last 5 years. He's only 32.

So why do we want to trade him?

Somebody explain this to me.

Ok, I don't get it. Franzen is one of the top playoff performers in the league the past 3-4 years. He is currently leading the entire league in Game winning Goals, he's on pace for 67 points and 31 goals and is +25. His point totals have increased the last 4 years (except the year when he had knee surgery)) 30, 38, 59, 55, 67. He has played over 70 games in 4 of the last 5 years. He's only 32.

It's not that we want to, but there are players that may very well be available that are better than and more consistent than Franzen. Ryan, Perry to name a couple. IF you are to acquire someone like that, Franzen will have to be involved since you cannot trade Hudler for anyone of that stature. If they go somewhere else, then they still have Franzen and his playoff performances. But if I had to choose between Franzen and Bobby Ryan or Corey Perry? Franzen is gone yesterday...

Parise:

I've heard from multiple sources that Devil's ownership can't afford what Zach Parise will be asking to re-sign him. We have the money to sign him (even long term) if we let Hudler walk and give Parise his cap money plus a few million more. He's young, a scorer, and plays hard every shift. I think he wants to win and may even take a bit less to play for a perennial contender. He would basically take Hudler's spot on the second line and we would upgrade from a soft, one-dimensional 20 goal scorer to a grittier, two-way 40 goal scorer without too much of in increase in salary cap (6.5m for Parise minus Hudler's 2.875m = an increase of 3.625m). This would significantly upgrade our offense and give us two legitimate scoring threats (Franzen and Parise) on our top two lines. Parise would help our PP out quite a bit too.

Something to consider here is Jersey's imminent need for a top goaltender once Brodeur retires (I hear he wants to play one more year?). We have possibly the best junior goaltending prospect on the planet in Mrazek. If I were Holland, I would start with Mrazek, a pick, and a prospect (Tatar, Jarnrok, Ferraro?) and get Parise now so we have him for this year's playoff run.

Moen would be a nice pickup too, but I have no clue what it would take to get him. He would fill out the 4th line nicely though with Abdelkader and Homer.

Bert - Dats - Mule

Fil - Z - Parise

Hudler - Helm - Cleary

Moen - Abdelkader - Holmstrom

Miller/Emmerton - press box

Next year Hudler's spot on the third line would go to someone like Nyquist or Mursak that is WAY cheaper and that we need to find a spot for in the lineup anyways. We also have Eaves coming back from injury that could compete for a spot on the third line too.

It's not that we want to, but there are players that may very well be available that are better than and more consistent than Franzen. Ryan, Perry to name a couple. IF you are to acquire someone like that, Franzen will have to be involved since you cannot trade Hudler for anyone of that stature. If they go somewhere else, then they still have Franzen and his playoff performances. But if I had to choose between Franzen and Bobby Ryan or Corey Perry? Franzen is gone yesterday...

Ryan is not consistent at all, didn't he have a 20+ game stretch without a point last season? He had a slump this year also, he's extremely streaky and I don't know how we would benefit more from him over Franzen. Considering playoff production i'd take Franzen over Ryan.

Parise:

I've heard from multiple sources that Devil's ownership can't afford what Zach Parise will be asking to re-sign him. We have the money to sign him (even long term) if we let Hudler walk and give Parise his cap money plus a few million more. He's young, a scorer, and plays hard every shift. I think he wants to win and may even take a bit less to play for a perennial contender. He would basically take Hudler's spot on the second line and we would upgrade from a soft, one-dimensional 20 goal scorer to a grittier, two-way 40 goal scorer without too much of in increase in salary cap (6.5m for Parise minus Hudler's 2.875m = an increase of 3.625m). This would significantly upgrade our offense and give us two legitimate scoring threats (Franzen and Parise) on our top two lines. Parise would help our PP out quite a bit too.

Something to consider here is Jersey's imminent need for a top goaltender once Brodeur retires (I hear he wants to play one more year?). We have possibly the best junior goaltending prospect on the planet in Mrazek. If I were Holland, I would start with Mrazek, a pick, and a prospect (Tatar, Jarnrok, Ferraro?) and get Parise now so we have him for this year's playoff run.

Moen would be a nice pickup too, but I have no clue what it would take to get him. He would fill out the 4th line nicely though with Abdelkader and Homer.

Bert - Dats - Mule

Fil - Z - Parise

Hudler - Helm - Cleary

Moen - Abdelkader - Holmstrom

Miller/Emmerton - press box

Next year Hudler's spot on the third line would go to someone like Nyquist or Mursak that is WAY cheaper and that we need to find a spot for in the lineup anyways. We also have Eaves coming back from injury that could compete for a spot on the third line too.

I too would love Parise here, but you do know that the Devils are gonna have a projected $26M in Cap Space this off season? That's $2M more than the Red Wings. Not that they still won't trade him, but they certainly can afford him unless he wants the top dollar a player can make, in that case they could still afford him, but I don't know if Holland is gonna offer him that much, that would set a precidence on our team of paying top dollar, and with Datsyuk due up pretty soon, he will command and get more than Parise... I hope Parise would accept a long term, lower salary deal, but I am not so sure...

...besides, if Holland has any hope of signing Suter, that is gonna cost at least $7.5M to start. It's gonna be fun to see what happens, but I hope Holland is a player in some shape and form! (and not just resigning our UFA's)

I too would love Parise here, but you do know that the Devils are gonna have a projected $26M in Cap Space this off season? That's $2M more than the Red Wings. Not that they still won't trade him, but they certainly can afford him unless he wants the top dollar a player can make, in that case they could still afford him, but I don't know if Holland is gonna offer him that much, that would set a precidence on our team of paying top dollar, and with Datsyuk due up pretty soon, he will command and get more than Parise... I hope Parise would accept a long term, lower salary deal, but I am not so sure...

...besides, if Holland has any hope of signing Suter, that is gonna cost at least $7.5M to start. It's gonna be fun to see what happens, but I hope Holland is a player in some shape and form! (and not just resigning our UFA's)

I was listening to the NHL channel on Sat. radio this weekend and one of their people confirmed that the NHL had given a loan to the Devils this year to help make payroll. I know they've got lots of cap space but it sure sounds like ownership might not have the money to sign him. I've also read on a few hockey websites that he doesn't want to sign in Jersey anyways as they aren't close to competing for a cup and it doesn't look like they will be anytime soon either. He's making 6m this year on a one-year deal so I would hope he could be signed long term for a similar number per year.

I was listening to the NHL channel on Sat. radio this weekend and one of their people confirmed that the NHL had given a loan to the Devils this year to help make payroll. I know they've got lots of cap space but it sure sounds like ownership might not have the money to sign him. I've also read on a few hockey websites that he doesn't want to sign in Jersey anyways as they aren't close to competing for a cup and it doesn't look like they will be anytime soon either. He's making 6m this year on a one-year deal so I would hope he could be signed long term for a similar number per year.

Oh, ok cool! I too hope he can be had for about $7M. I guess I didn't think about HOW they will make payroll, I just looked at the amount they had available. I hope you are right and I hope Holland makes a run at him, I am all aboard for it!

I say trade Stuart at the deadline, or if you want him for the cup run, trade him at the draft. There's no doubt that he wants out, and there's no point in letting him go for nothing.

At the deadline:

Stuart + Kindl + Hudler + 1st/2nd

for

Ryan + Lydman

At the draft:

Stuart

for

Lydman

Or keep him for the cup run and go after Ruutu, something like Ferraro + 2nd for Ruutu.

Morrow would be nice too.

Assuming Holland makes a minor move or two before the deadline, what "pieces" do you guys feel could be moved as part of the deal(s)? Off the top of my head, here are a few guys I could imagine being packaged to get a guy like Morrow or Moen:

Fabian Brunnstrom-1 point in 5 games this year with the Wings. 13 points in 18 games with Grand Rapids. Doubt Dallas will want another go-around with this guy, though.

Jiri Hudler-This one is tough for me, because he has been playing well lately. So I guess it depends on what Ken's plans are for him in the offseason. If he views Hudler's play as raising his trade value, then he could definitely be packaged. If Ken intends on keeping him, obviously he isn't going anywhere. Consistency, on a year-to-year basis has to be a concern for management with Hudler, though.

Patrick Eaves-Another tough call for me. It is unfortunate he has had an injury-riddled year, but can he regain his spot in the lineup when he gets back? Miller's been playing solid on the fourth line, so I think he's earned that spot on the 4th line.

Brad Stuart-If we know he is not going to return this summer, might as well get something for him. At the same token, I think he could be essential in this year's playoff run. Again, an other tough call for management.

Anyone think other guys could be on their way out before February 27th?

So we're going to be sellers?!?

Also: hell no to Rutuu when Jokinnen is such a better choice

Players that I could care less if we lose are bold

Players that I would move but it would be painful to me are underlined

Players that I wouldn't want to move are italic

Players that CANNOT BE TRADED ARE REDACTED BECAUSE I WOULD RIOT

All of this is assuming we make a trade to improve our team. NONE OF THIS SUGGESTS ANY VALUE TO THE PLAYER IN TERMS OF TRADE. This is just my estimation of what I think our organizational strengths are.

Valtteri Filppula

Johan Franzen

Drew Miller

Cory Emmerton*

Chris Conner (M)

Gustav Nyquist* (M)

Tomas Tatar* (M)

Fabian Brunnstrom (M)

Brent Raedeke* (M)

Chris Minard (M)

Teemu Pulkkinen* (E)

Pavel Datsyuk

Henrik Zetterberg

Darren Helm

Justin Abdelkader

Joakim Andersson* (M)

Francis Pare* (M)

Louis-Marc Aubry* (M)

Jamie Johnson (M)

Calle Jarnkrok* (E)

Riley Sheahan* ©

Alan Quine* (J)

Brooks Macek* (J)

Jesper Samuelsson* (E)

Julien Cayer* ©

Dan Cleary

Todd Bertuzzi

Jiri Hudler

Tomas Holmstrom

Patrick Eaves (IR)

Jan Mursak*

Landon Ferraro* (M)

Mitchell Callahan* (M)

Willie Coetzee* (M)

Trevor Parkes* (M)

Andrej Nestrasil* (M)

Tomas Jurco* (J)

Marek Tvrdon* (J)

Philippe Hudon* (J)

DEFENSE / GOALTENDER

Defense

Goaltender

Ian White

Nicklas Lidstrom

Niklas Kronwall

Brad Stuart

Jonathan Ericsson

Mike Commodore

Jakub Kindl

Brendan Smith* (M)

Garnet Exelby (M)

Doug Janik (M)

Logan Pyett* (M)

Brian Lashoff* (M)

Travis Ehrhardt* (M)

Sebastien Piche* (M)

Gleason Fournier* (M)

Adam Almqvist* (E)

Xavier Ouellet* (J)

Max Nicastro* ©

Ryan Sproul* (J)

Richard Nedomlel* (J)

Benjamin Marshall* ©

Nick Jensen* ©

Mattias Backman* (E)

Alexei Marchenko* (E)

Jimmy Howard

Ty Conklin

Joey MacDonald (M)

Jordan Pearce* (M)

Thomas McCollum* (M)

Petr Mrazek* (J)

I know there is going to be much talk about this list as absurd, that we can't get much of anyone without offering up more. I say we use draft picks instead of these prospects.

Sorry to those who think I am undervaluing the tougher and bigger guys in favor of the skill guys... but I am. That is what we use and are good with. I just find these players as having a better chance of having a big impact.

Edited by Majsheppard

Oh, ok cool! I too hope he can be had for about $7M. I guess I didn't think about HOW they will make payroll, I just looked at the amount they had available. I hope you are right and I hope Holland makes a run at him, I am all aboard for it!

Jersey is somewhere in the 80 mill in debt zone, hence the loans from the league.

Players that CANNOT BE TRADED ARE REDACTED

Ericsson and Bertuzzi both have modified NTC (I don't know that the details were ever made public) and likely aren't going anywhere, unless they themselves want a change of scenery.

Homer has a NTC as well.

EDIT: just realized you probably meant "cannot be traded" as in "no way in hell would you want them traded."

Ericsson and Bertuzzi both have modified NTC (I don't know that the details were ever made public) and likely aren't going anywhere, unless they themselves want a change of scenery.

Homer has a NTC as well.

EDIT: just realized you probably meant "cannot be traded" as in "no way in hell would you want them traded."

Do we even know the details of Ericsson's no trade clause?

I was under the impression it was one of those "pick a number of teams he would accept being traded to" clauses.

I was under the impression it was one of those "pick a number of teams he would accept being traded to" clauses.

I don't know that anyone knows the details outside of the Wings organization. But you're probably right in that it's some sort of acceptable teams situation.

Homer has a NTC as well.

I said in the post that there is no regard to if they can be traded or if they have value. Just people that are off limits in my book.

Personally, if someone didn't want me anymore, I'd waive my no-trade clause and play somewhere else.

That's probably not true, but I hope Ericsson feels that way. ;)

Be happy you don't get it. There is nothing to get other than those people are missing the entire poiint of Red Wing hockey. And Filp is finally having his breakout year, yet people want to trade him.

What is the chance of Holland actually trading Ericsson? As much as I would like to see him go. I don't think that it will happen till his contract is up.

If E goes you can bet Holland is 100% positive he'll retain Stuart or Lidstrom will return (unlikely). Holland's not a big fan of having a huge turn-over between any two years. With Lidstrom and Stuart likely leaving I doubt he'd want fully half of the top six d-core gone. The number of players moving out of our D really worked to Ericsson's advantage when he signed his contract this summer.

Players that CANNOT BE TRADED ARE REDACTED BECAUSE I WOULD RIOT

All of this is assuming we make a trade to improve our team. NONE OF THIS SUGGESTS ANY VALUE TO THE PLAYER IN TERMS OF TRADE. This is just my estimation of what I think our organizational strengths are.

Valtteri Filppula

Johan Franzen

Drew Miller

Cory Emmerton*

Chris Conner (M)

Gustav Nyquist* (M)

Tomas Tatar* (M)

Fabian Brunnstrom (M)

Brent Raedeke* (M)

Chris Minard (M)

Teemu Pulkkinen* (E)

Pavel Datsyuk

Henrik Zetterberg

Darren Helm

Justin Abdelkader

Joakim Andersson* (M)

Francis Pare* (M)

Louis-Marc Aubry* (M)

Jamie Johnson (M)

Calle Jarnkrok* (E)

Riley Sheahan* ©

Alan Quine* (J)

Brooks Macek* (J)

Jesper Samuelsson* (E)

Julien Cayer* ©

Dan Cleary

Todd Bertuzzi

Jiri Hudler

Tomas Holmstrom

Patrick Eaves (IR)

Jan Mursak*

Landon Ferraro* (M)

Mitchell Callahan* (M)

Willie Coetzee* (M)

Trevor Parkes* (M)

Andrej Nestrasil* (M)

Tomas Jurco* (J)

Marek Tvrdon* (J)

Philippe Hudon* (J)

DEFENSE / GOALTENDER

Defense

Goaltender

Ian White

Nicklas Lidstrom

Niklas Kronwall

Brad Stuart

Jonathan Ericsson

Mike Commodore

Jakub Kindl

Brendan Smith* (M)

Garnet Exelby (M)

Doug Janik (M)

Logan Pyett* (M)

Brian Lashoff* (M)

Travis Ehrhardt* (M)

Sebastien Piche* (M)

Gleason Fournier* (M)

Adam Almqvist* (E)

Xavier Ouellet* (J)

Max Nicastro* ©

Ryan Sproul* (J)

Richard Nedomlel* (J)

Benjamin Marshall* ©

Nick Jensen* ©

Mattias Backman* (E)

Alexei Marchenko* (E)

Jimmy Howard

Ty Conklin

Joey MacDonald (M)

Jordan Pearce* (M)

Thomas McCollum* (M)

Petr Mrazek* (J)

I know there is going to be much talk about this list as absurd, that we can't get much of anyone without offering up more. I say we use draft picks instead of these prospects.

Sorry to those who think I am undervaluing the tougher and bigger guys in favor of the skill guys... but I am. That is what we use and are good with. I just find these players as having a better chance of having a big impact.