• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Tim.D

Bettman: 2013 ASG in Columbus

Rate this topic

boring...I bet guys are gonna be jumping at the opportunity for a weekend in Columbus.. :thumbdown:

Time to change it up again - this whole draft thing is played out. I don't even watch the all-star game, the only thing worth tuning in to is the skills challenge.

I would definitely drive 3.5 hours down to Columbus for the fan festivities, and maybe even get some game tickets if they aren't incredibly expensive.

I get that the outcome of the game doesn't really matter, but it looks like a good time that's worth such a short drive.

Even if you only do the fan fest.

Red Wings fans in Southeast MI have a solid opportunity to experience both the Winter Classic and the ASG in the same year.

I think this s*** is thumbup.gifthumbup.gif

Is Detroit ever going to host the ASG again? Last time they did was the year Joe Louis Arena opened. I wasn't even born yet. I mean, wouldn't something like that be a nice boon to the city's economy?

Not many outside of Red Wing nation understand the magical quality of The Joe. Unless it is renovated, you probably won't see another ASG in our house. :(

Is Detroit ever going to host the ASG again? Last time they did was the year Joe Louis Arena opened. I wasn't even born yet. I mean, wouldn't something like that be a nice boon to the city's economy?

Yeah, but then we'd have people thinking:

boring...I bet guys are gonna be jumping at the opportunity for a weekend in Columbus.. :thumbdown:

You know, except about detroit.

Bettman is clueless. Stop trying to force hockey down the throats of non hockey towns. What a waste. The league should be cutting 10 teams anyways and moving the good players to the rest of the teams. Talent is stretched and the NHL is not in a position to be this large.

Yeah, but then we'd have people thinking:

You know, except about detroit.

Yeah, but there's fun and interesting things to do in Detroit. Especially along the riverfront. My uncle (mom's brother) lives in Columbus and we go up there often to see him - there is f*** all to do there. Seriously. It's not that exciting a place. I can see people not that jazzed up about going to Columbus, Ohio.....but it's not like Detroit is Lincoln, Nebraska in comparison.

Time to change it up again - this whole draft thing is played out. I don't even watch the all-star game, the only thing worth tuning in to is the skills challenge.

Columbus is the Paris of Ohio.

Did I say Paris, I said meant to say hell of Ohio. And Ohio is the hell of America.

Yeah, but there's fun and interesting things to do in Detroit. Especially along the riverfront. My uncle (mom's brother) lives in Columbus and we go up there often to see him - there is f*** all to do there. Seriously. It's not that exciting a place. I can see people not that jazzed up about going to Columbus, Ohio.....but it's not like Detroit is Lincoln, Nebraska in comparison.

Have you spent much time in the city, or have you been confined the suburbs? I've found most of the suburban areas in Columbus (except for a few closer to the city) to be uninteresting. However, the city neighborhoods of Short North (arts district), Arena District (where the arena is), Downtown (the capital), Brewery District, and German Village are excellent. Assuming the players stay near the arena (there are a few nice hotels, and a new Hilton under construction), there will be plenty to do for them within walking distance. Also, there is a large river park that spans much of downtown.

There is a lot to do within the city of Columbus. Shoot me a PM next time you're heading to Columbus and I can give you some suggestions if you want.

Columbus is a great town with a great Arena District. No it's not New York City, but calm down on the pretentiousness. Detroit is a fun city if you know where to go, but it's not exactly the tourism capital of the world itself.

And you'd be surprised how many hockey fans are in Columbus if they'd ever put a decent team on the ice. Let alone how many Red Wings fans there are in the area. Anytime I wear Wings gear out someone gives me a 'Go Wings'.

If you hadn't seen a Lions game before 2001 you would have thought no one in Detroit cared about football.

Also, the Blue Jackets aren't going anywhere. Renegotiating of the lease to Nationwide have pretty much guaranteed the Jackets aren't going anywhere until 2039.

Edited by Hockeytown Red Wings

i can't wait for nashville to get to host the ASG,the nhl said that nashville will get to host one in the future as soon as the music city convention center is complete,which should be early 2013.

Nashville would be great too. Had a great time there this summer. Bridgestone Arena is right there on Broadway with all the bars and things to do downtown too. Saw Social Distortion there at the Ryman Auditorium (the original Grand Ole Opry), so thankfully it wasn't all country music.