• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

wingsdiehard13

The SuperSkills competition is an embarrassment

Rate this topic

Looks like all the players are having fun and I'm having fun watching it.

Except for the constant reminders that Sidney Crosby and Alex Ovechkin aren't there. And Pierre McGuire and Jeremy Roenick. They need to get some different commentators on the NBC family of networks.

Is anyone else bothered by the way Kane sounds when he's talked to by the commentators? He sounds to me like he doesn't want to be bothered, or kind of arrogant. I hear he's a bit of a jerk from even Chicago fans but I was just wondering if anyone else got that feeling...

With that said, Kanes superman goal was pretty neat. I thought Perry's was a bit better.

Is anyone else bothered by the way Kane sounds when he's talked to by the commentators? He sounds to me like he doesn't want to be bothered, or kind of arrogant. I hear he's a bit of a jerk from even Chicago fans but I was just wondering if anyone else got that feeling...

With that said, Kanes superman goal was pretty neat. I thought Perry's was a bit better.

I'm not bothered, he's just a complete idiot/ass/whatever you want to call him. If he was related to me, I'd be bothered.

Looks like all the players are having fun and I'm having fun watching it.

Except for the constant reminders that Sidney Crosby and Alex Ovechkin aren't there. And Pierre McGuire and Jeremy Roenick. They need to get some different commentators on the NBC family of networks.

I didn't watch the NBC feed just the CBC feed. I really hated how they switched up the fastest skater part again this year. Leave it as a single lap and please put the fastest people out on the ice.

I didn't watch the NBC feed just the CBC feed. I really hated how they switched up the fastest skater part again this year. Leave it as a single lap and please put the fastest people out on the ice.

I didn't like how they broke up the fastest skater either. Terrible. How can you classify that as a fastest skater? Is the fastest runner in track asked to run tires like in boot camp? Give me a break.

The fastest skater event should be exactly like they had it before. It should be a full out lap or even 2 laps...tonight the event was too choppy. Players didn't even have enough room to get to full speed.

I didn't like how they broke up the fastest skater either. Terrible. How can you classify that as a fastest skater? Is the fastest runner in track asked to run tires like in boot camp? Give me a break.

The fastest skater event should be exactly like they had it before. It should be a full out lap or even 2 laps...tonight the event was too choppy. Players didn't even have enough room to get to full speed.

Especially when goalies are doing the fastest skater. Then you know it's a joke.

I don't think CBC explicitly mentioned Crosby or Ovechkin once (Maybe Ovechkin once in passing reference to the fancy breakaway event). Props to them.

They had Price miked up and I gained a lot of admiration for him, and the way he handled his role in that contest.

Jim Hughson and Craig Simpson also commented that Datsyuk was probably the best overall player in the league.

Crowd going nuts on Chara's 108.8mph shot was cool (since we heard their reaction before seeing the time)

Overall very solid event IMO.

I don't think CBC explicitly mentioned Crosby or Ovechkin once (Maybe Ovechkin once in passing reference to the fancy breakaway event). Props to them.

They had Price miked up and I gained a lot of admiration for him, and the way he handled his role in that contest.

Jim Hughson and Craig Simpson also commented that Datsyuk was probably the best overall player in the league.

Crowd going nuts on Chara's 108.8mph shot was cool (since we heard their reaction before seeing the time)

Overall very solid event IMO.

I thought at first Chara hit 110mph just by the way it looked. The difference in look from Alfredsson's 101mph shot to Chara's 108.8 was surprisingly very noticeable. The puck looked liked it just instantly transported to the net.

Besides the hardest shot everything else was meh to me.

I don't know how they chose who goes for each event.

No Datsyuk for the shootout? No Gaborik for fastest skater?

That's another thing that gets me frustrated with the skills competition. It seems like in more recent years that players with reputations for being the fastest players in the league don't take part in the fastest skater competition. I would've loved to see Gaborik do a lap in that competition. And players with know slick moves don't take part in the shootout.

I want to see the fastest players skate and the sickest puck handlers dangle dangle.

Edited by dragonballgtz

i only watched it for datsyuk and he blew it in the breakaway.

******* waste

This. Only watched for a chance to see Datsyuk dazzle. I saw plenty of Patrick Kane, Corey Perry, and company (although mini-stick move should have won that event). Watch for two plus hours and what do I see? Datsyuk takes 15 seconds to spin himself dizzy around cones and then half-heartedly does his go to backhand-to-forehand move against a goaltender who was expecting it. Way to utilize the best talent in the whole fiasco. Should have had him in the passing event since Kane took forever, you can't tell me Pasha wouldn't have smoked him. They didn't even have him passing for accuracy or one-timers, he literally cooled his heels for the whole event.

No wonder players opt out. The game is one thing, but most of those guys during the draft, media day, and skill competition have to be thinking "I'm leaving my family for THIS?"

I didn't watch it at all. I simply cannot get into the All Star stuff! I wish the league would simply say these are the all stars this year and wrap that up at the end of the season. There is no reason for an all star break and all this silly hoopla. I'm certain the ratings will be down on the Skills Competition as well as the game itself.

I consider myself a huge hockey fan, and eventhough I am in the Detroit area I subscribe to Center Ice to watch as many games as possible, but I usually skip out on the all star stuff. It simply doesn't interest me or the average hockey fan. Sorry to be a hater. :)

I can't be alone in saying this is a complete waste of time. It's so cheesy and catered way too much to the non-regular hockey fan.

I dont get the negs for this comment because it was pretty brutal imo but the problem I personally have about bitching about it is I dont have a solution for fixing the level suck that it has. The NHL is not the NBA but the players seem to be confused via Gary Bettamn on what they should be doing out there...At times it looked more like a circus then seeing the best hockey players in the world on one pad of ice.

I dont get the negs for this comment because it was pretty brutal imo but the problem I personally have about bitching about it is I dont have a solution for fixing the level suck that it has. The NHL is not the NBA but the players seem to be confused via Gary Bettamn on what they should be doing out there...At times it looked more like a circus then seeing the best hockey players in the world on one pad of ice.

Agreed.

While I did enjoy the actual game today, the overall production value of the whole event (and also the NHL Awards in the summer) is just so poorly executed that it just makes the NHL look so bush league. It makes me seriously wonder not only who is doing the marketing, but who on earth are they trying to market this TO?

Like other poster mentioned, my biggest problem was not having the most skilled players actually compete in the skills competition. I know I'm a Wings fan, so obviously I want Datsyuk in every event, but the overall format is anything but a "skills competition". There is no rhyme or reason to any of it, and the majority of the players basically spend 3 hours sitting on one knee smiling politely.

Ah well, the game was fun though. Pavel and Jimmy both played well, but neither of them looks good in any color other than red. :cool:

Edited by hooon