• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

wingsdiehard13

The SuperSkills competition is an embarrassment

Rate this topic

I like it. If it was just showing off and being a goof at the beginning I wouldn't watch as much (and I do like that part - they get creative and as long as players aren't showing up others to make them mad and it's all in good joking fun, all for it), but I'm glad they also put an event at the end as well where they are serious about the shootout as well.

No problems with it. And if it brings in more fans that don't watch hockey, more power to it. Me as a hockey fan already and most others in here will probably be at least tuning in with some interest regardless.

I like it. If it was just showing off and being a goof at the beginning I wouldn't watch as much (and I do like that part - they get creative and as long as players aren't showing up others to make them mad and it's all in good joking fun, all for it), but I'm glad they also put an event at the end as well where they are serious about the shootout as well.

No problems with it. And if it brings in more fans that don't watch hockey, more power to it. Me as a hockey fan already and most others in here will probably be at least tuning in with some interest regardless.

I do agree that the end was better. When I posted it was during the beginning with all the props and the goalies weren't making any kind of effort. Just seems petty to me.

a bunch of grumpy old men here.... the whole all star thing is for the kids. It's not all that bad. When I was a kid with no deal and had nothing better to do I was excited for it and watched it and thought it was pretty cool. It's not that it got worse now, it probably got ever better, but I just grew out of it.

The skills comp. is actually the only thing I watch on all-star weekend. I think its fun to see these guys show off a bit and have fun. Saying that, anyone else a little skeptical about Alfie and, to a lesser degree, Spezza's slapshot speeds? I know the NHL doesn't mes around like the KHL by doctoring the record speeds, but I find it really hard to believe Alfredsson can shoot the puck 5MPH more than Phaneauf....If he can, all the power to him, but I never expected the guy to get over 100MPH, especially considering his age and the tiny stick he uses. Crazy...

My younger brother and I had some fun watching it, since I was home for the weekend. I mean, yeah it's sort of goofy, but if you just enjoy it as a fun diversion before the game the next day it's a lot of fun. Yeah, the breakaway challenge was goofy as hell, but in a fun way. The ministick thing was funny. Besides, they have the serious shootout later, which also didn't dissapoint, even if Datsyuk got eliminated right away. The relay was sort of neat, though I was surprised it seemed so hard to hit those targets with how clean passes look in game. The fastest skater problems I agree with, a lap would be better. Also, I prefer target shooting to be accuracy based not time based, but that's a personal complaint. Overall, it's a cool thing to do for the kids, being able to see all their hockey heroes out doing fun stuff like that. And it's better than just having the game Sunday and that being it. I would also like to say, it's nice they wear their team jerseys Saturday for the skills stuff.

I watch it, but just because there is no real hockey on. I don't really care for it, but I don't have anything against it. All in all it's an okay event and it looks like most everyone was having fun, and I think that is important with what these guys go through during the year.

a bunch of grumpy old men here.... the whole all star thing is for the kids. It's not all that bad. When I was a kid with no deal and had nothing better to do I was excited for it and watched it and thought it was pretty cool. It's not that it got worse now, it probably got ever better, but I just grew out of it.

That seems to be the consensus so far. I guess we all grew out of it.

As I grew up, I always thought the players took a lot of pride in being all-stars for all sports. As in, they all really wanted to go to be able to say they were an all-star year after year.

Was I just naive or is the fact that some players make an effort to avoid the all-star game a relatively new phenomenon?

Was I just naive or is the fact that some players make an effort to avoid the all-star game a relatively new phenomenon?

In my opinion, most guys there seemed to have fun. But, I think really Ovechkin was the only one to turn it down and with how his seasons been I can see him not being into it. I think there was some guys there that didn't really wanna be, but I think the majority of players seemed to be having fun with it.

The skills comp and all star game aren't for us, assuming "us" are very knowledgeable hockey fans that already love the sport. It's for the non-hockey fans as a way to gain fans. Even then, i enjoy the all-star weekend. I think its cool to see the guys out there having fun. An all-star game was never meant to be all that competitive, thus we see no checking or fighting etc in the games. It's a way for the fans to vote on players and for the players to have fun. I understand why Lids didn't go, cause he's already been to a thousand. Jimmy on the other hand was thrilled to be invited. Playoff hockey is for "us" not the all-star game, if you dont like it, dont watch it, but appreciate what it does for the young and new fans out there.