• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#21 jollymania

jollymania

Heavy Hitter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,610 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 02:58 PM

I do love Morrow but Grabby is only 27 and is currently 1.2 million less, don't get me wrong if I read we signed Morrow Ill do a little dance as well but I really love the raw freaking talent Grabovski has and believe he doesnt get the kudos he deserves in toronto.

but he doesn't throw massive hits, fight, and isn't a leader
"I assure you the hits along the boards he(Aaron Downey) constantly threw SEVERAL TIMES EVERY SHIFT were far more damaging hits that what Kronwall throws."
- uk_redwing
HockeyArchive Twitter

#22 Hairy Lime

Hairy Lime

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 03:23 PM

"Toughening up" is something that should of been addressed when the Wings were trying to repeat, after Drake retired, when Kopecky kept falling on his ass while Downey was relegated to Grand Rapids. Yeah, that season was fun to watch... Thanks, Kenny.

But as to this season, have to wait and see who the buyers and sellers are. I'd love to add a player like David Clarkson, but NJ won't deal him if they are in a playoff position come the deadline, and maybe not even if they aren't. Chris Neil would be a good addition, and I'd be more than willing to give up Abdelkader in a package for him, and I don't care if he IS 8 years younger. I can't stand Abby! But again, would Ottawa part with Neil if they are fighting for positioning? I also like the idea of adding Morrow, even though I think he hates the Red Wings. He's a more talented Dallas Drake. But what would Dallas want in return? He's an unrestricted free-agent next season.

Detroit does need to get a little harder to play, but the days of Holland fleecing other teams is long over.

#23 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,623 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 04:12 PM

Link was a defenseman.

In all seriousness, I don't know what Holland/Babcock's definition of a "heavy" winger is.

After all, this is the team that gave us phrases like "team toughness" and "our powerplay is our enforcer", although the latter may have been a LGW created phrase (I don't remember anymore).

Well, comsidering the article says "ANOTHER HEAVY WINGER" I guess that means someone like Franzen or Bertuzzi, since Babcock seems to think we already have a heavy winger and he would like ANOTHER one...if that is the case, we will be seeing more of the same type of player...

...I would be excited if he would have left out the "another." I hope he feels that Moen and Morrow are heavy wingers, because I am all for that, but I am not all for another Franzen or Hudler...

If we can pluck these two from the stars I think we will be one of the hardest teams to play against in the playoffs:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tS2xMuM2W4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2iWV6_v4h4

imagine kronwall, stuart, and fistric all out there to destroy someone on any given shift.
also think of the drake factor that morrow has, a gritty guy who will take runs at anyone, fight, and even has some talent offensively and is a great leader.

Ya, Morrow and Fistric would be great. But, lets stop saying the "Drake" factor. He wasn't really that big of help in winning, but he did add grit and toughness as would Morrow, but it seems that most folks around here feel that if it weren't for Drake, we wouldn't have won.

Who would go back to Dallas in your trade scenario? A d-man obviously, but who and who else? Just curious...

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Aww You Mad Bro? Are You Butt Hurt?

#24 Probie

Probie

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 05:00 PM

A name flying under the radar...Robyn Regehr. Buffalo will be sellers, and they have a bunch of big contracts that are IMO a little too big considering the players abilities. I have heard Regehr has lost a step( I havent watched him for a bit), but even if he has, he still has to be a very good shutdown Dman, and he is quite physical. He would solidify our defense IMO. Hes at 4mil and under contract for next season only. Its a thought many haven't looked at.

#25 Hairy Lime

Hairy Lime

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 06:52 PM

Well, comsidering the article says "ANOTHER HEAVY WINGER" I guess that means someone like Franzen or Bertuzzi, since Babcock seems to think we already have a heavy winger and he would like ANOTHER one...if that is the case, we will be seeing more of the same type of player...

...I would be excited if he would have left out the "another." I hope he feels that Moen and Morrow are heavy wingers, because I am all for that, but I am not all for another Franzen or Hudler...

Ya, Morrow and Fistric would be great. But, lets stop saying the "Drake" factor. He wasn't really that big of help in winning, but he did add grit and toughness as would Morrow, but it seems that most folks around here feel that if it weren't for Drake, we wouldn't have won.

Who would go back to Dallas in your trade scenario? A d-man obviously, but who and who else? Just curious...

Concerning your comment about Drake, I think the exact opposite. Would that Red Wings team have won the cup without him? Maybe, but he sealed the deal. He brought a level of nastiness that the previous Red Wings teams under Mike Babcock lacked. Big hits fire up your team, and he delivered a lot of them in those playoffs, and it seemed like the rest of the team followed his lead. Players don't like playing against guys like Dallas Drake, because, well, they don't like getting smoked. You want to make your team as difficult to play against as possible, something all of the Detroit teams since then have not been. I think next years team, which, on paper, was a better team with the addition of Hossa, suffered because there was no attempt to replace the snarl Detroit lost with the retirement of Drake. It also didn't help that Detroit played the whole season without an enforcer, and that pretty much every team they played against took as many liberties as they so pleased. Downey only played in about 40 or so games that championship season, but pests and agitators knew that there was somebody who would hold them accountable if they misbehaved. The extracurricular stuff was limited in the games he played in. Even having Mac, as limited as his diminishing skills were, helped team morale. So I believe that adding a tough-nosed forward who is not afraid to muck it up, like Drake and unlike Abby, would go a long way to strengthening Detroit's chances, and that Dallas Drake was more valuable than you're giving him credit for. Some of the most important plays in a game are the ones that don't always end up on the stat sheet.

#26 Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

LGW's impromptu Photoshopper

• Silver Booster
  • 4,337 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 07:22 PM

Had no idea Hudler was a heavy winger.

Posted Image

#27 Rice

Rice

Hank.

• Gold Booster Mod
  • 5,957 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 07:25 PM

A name flying under the radar...Robyn Regehr. Buffalo will be sellers, and they have a bunch of big contracts that are IMO a little too big considering the players abilities. I have heard Regehr has lost a step( I havent watched him for a bit), but even if he has, he still has to be a very good shutdown Dman, and he is quite physical. He would solidify our defense IMO. Hes at 4mil and under contract for next season only. Its a thought many haven't looked at.

I was thinking the same thing. Holland and Regier are good friends and Regehr would make a good replacement for Stuart next year. Hopefully they could snag both him and Gaustad.
In a 2005 study published by the journal Nature, researchers at Durham University in England concluded that, across a range of sports, we found that wearing red is consistently associated with a higher probability of winning. The researchers also suggested that red's effect may subconsciously intimidate opponents in athletic contests, especially when the athletes are equal in skill and strength.

#28 Dominator2005

Dominator2005

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,223 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 07:45 PM

Regehr would be nice but ain't gonna happen.

Ruutu makes most sense if we are looking to add scoring forward with some size and grit.
Gaustad is a perfect 3rd line center but I don't see Sabres letting him go.
Travis Moen is a good PK, hard hitting 3rd liner with limited scoring touch which could be very tough to play against in playoff's.
Hall Gill is good PK, stay at home D, shoot blocking machine...

I wouldn't mind Theo Peckhman as a young stay at home def who can drop the gloves... trading big "E" (even with his Modified NTC) for Theo would be "nice"
"Some guys dream about scoring goals, or making big saves... I swear to God I dream about kicking ass in a hockey fight - no other way to say it than I love to do it, its who I am"... Brian McGrattan

#29 darkmanx

darkmanx

Toronto's Finest

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,627 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 07:50 PM

What do you guys think would realistically land Ruutu ?

#30 Dominator2005

Dominator2005

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,223 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 07:58 PM

High draft pick and a prospect.
I don't think that they want to add salary at this stage.

http://www.thefourth...op25/index.html

Edited by Dominator2005, 30 January 2012 - 07:58 PM.

"Some guys dream about scoring goals, or making big saves... I swear to God I dream about kicking ass in a hockey fight - no other way to say it than I love to do it, its who I am"... Brian McGrattan

#31 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

This is how I watch Wings games

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 08:11 PM

High draft pick and a prospect.
I don't think that they want to add salary at this stage.

http://www.thefourth...op25/index.html

Gleason isn't likely to be back in Raleigh next year. It's believed the Hurricanes will deal him before Feb. 27.

Well so much for that.

#32 Dominator2005

Dominator2005

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,223 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 08:16 PM

Accordingly to :

http://toutsurlehock...raient-comptes/

asking price for Ruutu is 1st round pick and prospect but they are always wrong.

http://espn.go.com/b...-carter-on-move

Speaking of grit, Habs winger Travis Moen is garnering some interest around the league. Hes an unrestricted free agent on July 1 and would be a decent rental pickup for a contender looking for a bit more of a physical presence on their third line. Vancouver and Detroit are among several teams that have an eye on him, although one NHL source told ESPN.com that Montreal GM Pierre Gauthier is telling teams hes not ready to sell yet. The Canadiens play eight of their next 12 games at home and the word is Gauthier wants to see if his team can make a run before pulling the plug.

#33 Barrie

Barrie

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,919 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 08:19 PM

I hope it's someone who Babs can play in the playoffs, instead of a Downey type that will just sit in the pressbox.
Lets Go:
Red Wings
Tigers
Roughriders
Lions
Spartans
Pistons

#34 Dave

Dave

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 08:32 PM

Concerning your comment about Drake, I think the exact opposite. Would that Red Wings team have won the cup without him? Maybe, but he sealed the deal. He brought a level of nastiness that the previous Red Wings teams under Mike Babcock lacked. Big hits fire up your team, and he delivered a lot of them in those playoffs, and it seemed like the rest of the team followed his lead. Players don't like playing against guys like Dallas Drake, because, well, they don't like getting smoked. You want to make your team as difficult to play against as possible, something all of the Detroit teams since then have not been. I think next years team, which, on paper, was a better team with the addition of Hossa, suffered because there was no attempt to replace the snarl Detroit lost with the retirement of Drake. It also didn't help that Detroit played the whole season without an enforcer, and that pretty much every team they played against took as many liberties as they so pleased. Downey only played in about 40 or so games that championship season, but pests and agitators knew that there was somebody who would hold them accountable if they misbehaved. The extracurricular stuff was limited in the games he played in. Even having Mac, as limited as his diminishing skills were, helped team morale. So I believe that adding a tough-nosed forward who is not afraid to muck it up, like Drake and unlike Abby, would go a long way to strengthening Detroit's chances, and that Dallas Drake was more valuable than you're giving him credit for. Some of the most important plays in a game are the ones that don't always end up on the stat sheet.

Zetterberg being healthy and on a tear is why Detroit won in '08. That and they had favorable playoff matchups. But they got the 1 seed so they earned those matchups. Drake helped the team, he did not "seal the deal". They would have won without him.

*EDIT*

Also, Franzen coming into his own is a huge factor. They probably would not have won it all if Franzen hadn't awaken.

Edited by Dave, 30 January 2012 - 08:33 PM.

#35 Dominator2005

Dominator2005

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,223 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 08:43 PM

Zetterberg being healthy and on a tear is why Detroit won in '08. That and they had favorable playoff matchups. But they got the 1 seed so they earned those matchups. Drake helped the team, he did not "seal the deal". They would have won without him.

*EDIT*

Also, Franzen coming into his own is a huge factor. They probably would not have won it all if Franzen hadn't awaken.

I might be wrong but as far as I can remember we were losing against Dallas... 3rd game 1st Dallas Drake's shift, he delivered 3 huge hits and that might have changed that particular series. Dallas Drake type of players can't hurt you, playing 8 to 10 minutes a game with high energy...

#36 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,623 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 08:45 PM

Had no idea Hudler was a heavy winger.

Exactly...I would like to know who the other Heavy Winger is...Babcock said another heavy winger, but I look up and down the roster and see no heavy winger, so could he be talking about Franzen? If so, then if he wants another heavy winger like Franzen, I pass. If he said he wants another scorer, then I would take another Franzen, but not if that other Franzen is going to be another heavy winger, because from what I have watched, we don't have one already here. I can do without another heavy winger if that heavy winger is of the Hudler/Franzen/Cleary type...

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Aww You Mad Bro? Are You Butt Hurt?

#37 Dominator2005

Dominator2005

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,223 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 08:52 PM

It was game # 5:

Beauty!!!!

#38 Dave

Dave

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 09:35 PM

It was game # 5:

Beauty!!!!

I'm not going to say that the shift wasn't awesome, but Detroit lost game 5....

#39 Dominator2005

Dominator2005

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,223 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 10:09 PM

But still won the Stanley Cup

#40 Barrie

Barrie

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,919 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 11:29 PM

Helm and Abby could have a shift like Drake had. Remember Helm's hit on Jovo last year?

Also it was Draper's front teeth that won the series against Dallas in 2008.
Lets Go:
Red Wings
Tigers
Roughriders
Lions
Spartans
Pistons