• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Dominator2005

Toughening Up?

Rate this topic

Well, comsidering the article says "ANOTHER HEAVY WINGER" I guess that means someone like Franzen or Bertuzzi, since Babcock seems to think we already have a heavy winger and he would like ANOTHER one...if that is the case, we will be seeing more of the same type of player...

...I would be excited if he would have left out the "another." I hope he feels that Moen and Morrow are heavy wingers, because I am all for that, but I am not all for another Franzen or Hudler...

Had no idea Hudler was a heavy winger.

A name flying under the radar...Robyn Regehr. Buffalo will be sellers, and they have a bunch of big contracts that are IMO a little too big considering the players abilities. I have heard Regehr has lost a step( I havent watched him for a bit), but even if he has, he still has to be a very good shutdown Dman, and he is quite physical. He would solidify our defense IMO. Hes at 4mil and under contract for next season only. Its a thought many haven't looked at.

I was thinking the same thing. Holland and Regier are good friends and Regehr would make a good replacement for Stuart next year. Hopefully they could snag both him and Gaustad.

Regehr would be nice but ain't gonna happen.

Ruutu makes most sense if we are looking to add scoring forward with some size and grit.

Gaustad is a perfect 3rd line center but I don't see Sabres letting him go.

Travis Moen is a good PK, hard hitting 3rd liner with limited scoring touch which could be very tough to play against in playoff's.

Hall Gill is good PK, stay at home D, shoot blocking machine...

I wouldn't mind Theo Peckhman as a young stay at home def who can drop the gloves... trading big "E" (even with his Modified NTC) for Theo would be "nice"

Accordingly to :

http://toutsurlehockey.com/11343/rumeurs/de/transactions/tslh/CAR/2012-01-30/les-jours-de-tuomo-ruutu-en-caroline-seraient-comptes/

asking price for Ruutu is 1st round pick and prospect but they are always wrong.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/id/14334/trade-rumblings-ruutu-carter-on-move

Speaking of grit, Habs winger Travis Moen is garnering some interest around the league. He’s an unrestricted free agent on July 1 and would be a decent rental pickup for a contender looking for a bit more of a physical presence on their third line. Vancouver and Detroit are among several teams that have an eye on him, although one NHL source told ESPN.com that Montreal GM Pierre Gauthier is telling teams he’s not ready to sell yet. The Canadiens play eight of their next 12 games at home and the word is Gauthier wants to see if his team can make a run before pulling the plug.

Concerning your comment about Drake, I think the exact opposite. Would that Red Wings team have won the cup without him? Maybe, but he sealed the deal. He brought a level of nastiness that the previous Red Wings teams under Mike Babcock lacked. Big hits fire up your team, and he delivered a lot of them in those playoffs, and it seemed like the rest of the team followed his lead. Players don't like playing against guys like Dallas Drake, because, well, they don't like getting smoked. You want to make your team as difficult to play against as possible, something all of the Detroit teams since then have not been. I think next years team, which, on paper, was a better team with the addition of Hossa, suffered because there was no attempt to replace the snarl Detroit lost with the retirement of Drake. It also didn't help that Detroit played the whole season without an enforcer, and that pretty much every team they played against took as many liberties as they so pleased. Downey only played in about 40 or so games that championship season, but pests and agitators knew that there was somebody who would hold them accountable if they misbehaved. The extracurricular stuff was limited in the games he played in. Even having Mac, as limited as his diminishing skills were, helped team morale. So I believe that adding a tough-nosed forward who is not afraid to muck it up, like Drake and unlike Abby, would go a long way to strengthening Detroit's chances, and that Dallas Drake was more valuable than you're giving him credit for. Some of the most important plays in a game are the ones that don't always end up on the stat sheet.

Zetterberg being healthy and on a tear is why Detroit won in '08. That and they had favorable playoff matchups. But they got the 1 seed so they earned those matchups. Drake helped the team, he did not "seal the deal". They would have won without him.

*EDIT*

Also, Franzen coming into his own is a huge factor. They probably would not have won it all if Franzen hadn't awaken.

Edited by Dave

Zetterberg being healthy and on a tear is why Detroit won in '08. That and they had favorable playoff matchups. But they got the 1 seed so they earned those matchups. Drake helped the team, he did not "seal the deal". They would have won without him.

*EDIT*

Also, Franzen coming into his own is a huge factor. They probably would not have won it all if Franzen hadn't awaken.

I might be wrong but as far as I can remember we were losing against Dallas... 3rd game 1st Dallas Drake's shift, he delivered 3 huge hits and that might have changed that particular series. Dallas Drake type of players can't hurt you, playing 8 to 10 minutes a game with high energy...

Had no idea Hudler was a heavy winger.

Exactly...I would like to know who the other Heavy Winger is...Babcock said another heavy winger, but I look up and down the roster and see no heavy winger, so could he be talking about Franzen? If so, then if he wants another heavy winger like Franzen, I pass. If he said he wants another scorer, then I would take another Franzen, but not if that other Franzen is going to be another heavy winger, because from what I have watched, we don't have one already here. I can do without another heavy winger if that heavy winger is of the Hudler/Franzen/Cleary type...

Well, comsidering the article says "ANOTHER HEAVY WINGER" I guess that means someone like Franzen or Bertuzzi, since Babcock seems to think we already have a heavy winger and he would like ANOTHER one...if that is the case, we will be seeing more of the same type of player...

...I would be excited if he would have left out the "another." I hope he feels that Moen and Morrow are heavy wingers, because I am all for that, but I am not all for another Franzen or Hudler...

Ya, Morrow and Fistric would be great. But, lets stop saying the "Drake" factor. He wasn't really that big of help in winning, but he did add grit and toughness as would Morrow, but it seems that most folks around here feel that if it weren't for Drake, we wouldn't have won.

Who would go back to Dallas in your trade scenario? A d-man obviously, but who and who else? Just curious...

im not sure, maybe ericsson paired with andersson and a pick? im no good at actually making trade proposals, just looking at what I want and think the tea needs.

I think Morrow would have a greater impact than drake.

It was game # 5:

Beauty!!!!

Ah man, looking at this again we had a good few guys that could dish out the grit. Draper was mentioned in the video who always had a pop to him, Cheli as well who was always willing to 'bend the rules' at some point or another :P I mean even Helm had a breakout during that post-season. A lot of bottom 6 players and some defencemen that would get gritty. Somehow I don't see that happening with Eaves, Miller and Abby :( Play Commodore

Ruutu would definitely be what Babcock wants. I think what Babcock means by a heavy winger is a gritty power forward who can score like Franzen and Bert. Ruutu fits all that criteria.

-He always gets a lot of hits every year (308 last year, a drop this year but on pace for almost 200). Ruutu can throw some huge hits, which is what we all seem to miss.

-On pace to match his goalscoring total from last year, which is 19 goals, and may pass his career high 26, especially playing with more skilled players

-He got 38 assists last year, so he can dish the puck as well (like Bertuzzi). The drop in assists this year is probably because of him not playing with enough talent on his line or not being able to develop chemistry because the lines are juggled all the time in Carolina. The coaching situation is not good, either. Last year when he played with Skinner and Jokinen, they lit it up, and I think if Hudler is moved down then Flip-Z-Ruutu would make a great line.

-The Flip-Z-Hudler line is an imbalance anyways, not a very physical line, there isn't good size, and Flip and Hudler (and even Z to an extent) are both playmakers. I think every line needs a physical power forward and that's where Ruutu comes in.

With the way Hudler has been playing, I think we could get away with sending him for Ruutu.

Morrow is also a great option but he'd be more expensive I think, although he's played for Babcock before which is always a plus.

Ruutu would definitely be what Babcock wants. I think what Babcock means by a heavy winger is a gritty power forward who can score like Franzen and Bert. Ruutu fits all that criteria.

-He always gets a lot of hits every year (308 last year, a drop this year but on pace for almost 200). Ruutu can throw some huge hits, which is what we all seem to miss.

-On pace to match his goalscoring total from last year, which is 19 goals, and may pass his career high 26, especially playing with more skilled players

-He got 38 assists last year, so he can dish the puck as well (like Bertuzzi). The drop in assists this year is probably because of him not playing with enough talent on his line or not being able to develop chemistry because the lines are juggled all the time in Carolina. The coaching situation is not good, either. Last year when he played with Skinner and Jokinen, they lit it up, and I think if Hudler is moved down then Flip-Z-Ruutu would make a great line.

-The Flip-Z-Hudler line is an imbalance anyways, not a very physical line, there isn't good size, and Flip and Hudler (and even Z to an extent) are both playmakers. I think every line needs a physical power forward and that's where Ruutu comes in.

With the way Hudler has been playing, I think we could get away with sending him for Ruutu.

Morrow is also a great option but he'd be more expensive I think, although he's played for Babcock before which is always a plus.

THIS!!!!

Either would fit very well. I don't think Morrow would be much (if any) more expensive. He's older, and only has 8 goals so far. Also seems to be a lot of teams interested in Ruutu. 1st rounder plus a prospect seems about the right range for either. I would hope the prospect could be someone like Emmerton or Andersson, but considering that our first rounder figures to be a lower one we may need to offer more.

Not sure either team would be interested in Hudler, and I wouldn't necessarily want to trade him anyway. Our bottom 6 hasn't been scoring this year, and Hudler has been pretty effective when he's been moved down. Cleary knows how to play with skill players, so I think he could benefit a lot from Hudler. Huds-Helm-Cleary could be pretty dangerous. Plus, between Huds, Cleary, Homer, Bert, Flip, and Ruutu/Morrow, we'd have a ton of options for juggling lines if guys aren't clicking. Plenty of parts to get 3 lines going.

Add a 4th-line center (All due respect to Miller, Eaves, and Mursak, but I think we need another center.) and we'd be set. Stoll, Gaustad, or Steckel would be my choices; three of the better faceoff men in the league and pretty nice hitters besides.

Here's some info:

-Doan won't be traded at/before the deadline.

-Carolina will need some sort of salary in return for Ruutu because they are very close to the cap floor, and dealing Ruutu for picks/prospects just cuts off more salary.

-A lot of teams in the league are expecting Ruutu as much as Wings fans are. Don't be surprised if we don't get him.

-I'm hearing more talk surrounding Morrow now that the ASG has passed, and he has been activated from the IR as well.

Personally, David Clarkson would bring everything this team needs in a top-six forward. He's gritty, hits, fights, and already has 17 goals this season. I doubt the Devils will give him up, though, as he is well-liked there, and he could be a crucial playoff piece if they are in the running for the playoffs come Febuary 27th.