• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#41 jollymania

jollymania

Heavy Hitter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,610 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 01:24 AM

Well, comsidering the article says "ANOTHER HEAVY WINGER" I guess that means someone like Franzen or Bertuzzi, since Babcock seems to think we already have a heavy winger and he would like ANOTHER one...if that is the case, we will be seeing more of the same type of player...

...I would be excited if he would have left out the "another." I hope he feels that Moen and Morrow are heavy wingers, because I am all for that, but I am not all for another Franzen or Hudler...

Ya, Morrow and Fistric would be great. But, lets stop saying the "Drake" factor. He wasn't really that big of help in winning, but he did add grit and toughness as would Morrow, but it seems that most folks around here feel that if it weren't for Drake, we wouldn't have won.

Who would go back to Dallas in your trade scenario? A d-man obviously, but who and who else? Just curious...

im not sure, maybe ericsson paired with andersson and a pick? im no good at actually making trade proposals, just looking at what I want and think the tea needs.

I think Morrow would have a greater impact than drake.
"I assure you the hits along the boards he(Aaron Downey) constantly threw SEVERAL TIMES EVERY SHIFT were far more damaging hits that what Kronwall throws."
- uk_redwing
HockeyArchive Twitter

#42 Wing Across The Pond

Wing Across The Pond

Gabriel's Wings

• Silver Booster
  • 744 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 06:36 AM

It was game # 5:

Beauty!!!!

Ah man, looking at this again we had a good few guys that could dish out the grit. Draper was mentioned in the video who always had a pop to him, Cheli as well who was always willing to 'bend the rules' at some point or another :P I mean even Helm had a breakout during that post-season. A lot of bottom 6 players and some defencemen that would get gritty. Somehow I don't see that happening with Eaves, Miller and Abby :( Play Commodore

Posted Image

Check out my blog -The Heid-Out- a cynical mans take on everyday life

#43 esteef

esteef

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 04:04 PM

It was game # 5:

Beauty!!!!

Drake wasn't done there!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWW594wLzRU

Check out that scoring chance off the first hit. Delicious!

esteef
"The Wings haven't won a Cup without Darren McCarty since 1955."

#44 wingslogo19

wingslogo19

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,234 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 04:37 PM

Drake wasn't done there!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWW594wLzRU

Check out that scoring chance off the first hit. Delicious!

esteef

Beauty! I miss Drake
IPB Image

#45 egroen

egroen

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 4,619 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 04:44 PM

I'm crossing my fingers for Morrow or Doan by the trade deadline - perfect fit, IMO.
Red Kelly #4 and Larry Aurie #6 belong in the rafters!!!

"For my game, I don't need to score the goal," Konstantinov once explained. "I need someone to start thinking about me and forgetting about scoring goals."

#46 anthonyn66

anthonyn66

Wings fan in Leaf Nation

• PipPip
  • 315 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 10:10 PM

Ruutu would definitely be what Babcock wants. I think what Babcock means by a heavy winger is a gritty power forward who can score like Franzen and Bert. Ruutu fits all that criteria.

-He always gets a lot of hits every year (308 last year, a drop this year but on pace for almost 200). Ruutu can throw some huge hits, which is what we all seem to miss.
-On pace to match his goalscoring total from last year, which is 19 goals, and may pass his career high 26, especially playing with more skilled players
-He got 38 assists last year, so he can dish the puck as well (like Bertuzzi). The drop in assists this year is probably because of him not playing with enough talent on his line or not being able to develop chemistry because the lines are juggled all the time in Carolina. The coaching situation is not good, either. Last year when he played with Skinner and Jokinen, they lit it up, and I think if Hudler is moved down then Flip-Z-Ruutu would make a great line.
-The Flip-Z-Hudler line is an imbalance anyways, not a very physical line, there isn't good size, and Flip and Hudler (and even Z to an extent) are both playmakers. I think every line needs a physical power forward and that's where Ruutu comes in.

With the way Hudler has been playing, I think we could get away with sending him for Ruutu.

Morrow is also a great option but he'd be more expensive I think, although he's played for Babcock before which is always a plus.

#47 Dominator2005

Dominator2005

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,222 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 10:11 PM

Ruutu would definitely be what Babcock wants. I think what Babcock means by a heavy winger is a gritty power forward who can score like Franzen and Bert. Ruutu fits all that criteria.

-He always gets a lot of hits every year (308 last year, a drop this year but on pace for almost 200). Ruutu can throw some huge hits, which is what we all seem to miss.
-On pace to match his goalscoring total from last year, which is 19 goals, and may pass his career high 26, especially playing with more skilled players
-He got 38 assists last year, so he can dish the puck as well (like Bertuzzi). The drop in assists this year is probably because of him not playing with enough talent on his line or not being able to develop chemistry because the lines are juggled all the time in Carolina. The coaching situation is not good, either. Last year when he played with Skinner and Jokinen, they lit it up, and I think if Hudler is moved down then Flip-Z-Ruutu would make a great line.
-The Flip-Z-Hudler line is an imbalance anyways, not a very physical line, there isn't good size, and Flip and Hudler (and even Z to an extent) are both playmakers. I think every line needs a physical power forward and that's where Ruutu comes in.

With the way Hudler has been playing, I think we could get away with sending him for Ruutu.

Morrow is also a great option but he'd be more expensive I think, although he's played for Babcock before which is always a plus.

THIS!!!!
"Some guys dream about scoring goals, or making big saves... I swear to God I dream about kicking ass in a hockey fight - no other way to say it than I love to do it, its who I am"... Brian McGrattan

#48 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 10:21 PM

I'm crossing my fingers for Morrow or Doan by the trade deadline - perfect fit, IMO.

Keep crossing them for Morrow. Maybe not so much for Doan:

http://prohockeytalk...l-of-franchise/

#49 Buppy

Buppy

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 11:00 PM

Either would fit very well. I don't think Morrow would be much (if any) more expensive. He's older, and only has 8 goals so far. Also seems to be a lot of teams interested in Ruutu. 1st rounder plus a prospect seems about the right range for either. I would hope the prospect could be someone like Emmerton or Andersson, but considering that our first rounder figures to be a lower one we may need to offer more.

Not sure either team would be interested in Hudler, and I wouldn't necessarily want to trade him anyway. Our bottom 6 hasn't been scoring this year, and Hudler has been pretty effective when he's been moved down. Cleary knows how to play with skill players, so I think he could benefit a lot from Hudler. Huds-Helm-Cleary could be pretty dangerous. Plus, between Huds, Cleary, Homer, Bert, Flip, and Ruutu/Morrow, we'd have a ton of options for juggling lines if guys aren't clicking. Plenty of parts to get 3 lines going.

Add a 4th-line center (All due respect to Miller, Eaves, and Mursak, but I think we need another center.) and we'd be set. Stoll, Gaustad, or Steckel would be my choices; three of the better faceoff men in the league and pretty nice hitters besides.

#50 Tim.D

Tim.D

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 11:16 PM

Here's some info:

-Doan won't be traded at/before the deadline.
-Carolina will need some sort of salary in return for Ruutu because they are very close to the cap floor, and dealing Ruutu for picks/prospects just cuts off more salary.
-A lot of teams in the league are expecting Ruutu as much as Wings fans are. Don't be surprised if we don't get him.
-I'm hearing more talk surrounding Morrow now that the ASG has passed, and he has been activated from the IR as well.

Personally, David Clarkson would bring everything this team needs in a top-six forward. He's gritty, hits, fights, and already has 17 goals this season. I doubt the Devils will give him up, though, as he is well-liked there, and he could be a crucial playoff piece if they are in the running for the playoffs come Febuary 27th.