• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
NorwegianWing

Future retired numbers

Rate this topic

It obviously takes a lot to retire your Wings jersey, seeing as the only player in 40 years to do it was Yzerman himself. I guess we can pretty much assume that Lidström #5 will get retired, but my question is if other players currently on our roster have a chance? The most obvious candidates perhaps being Datsyuk #13 and Zetterberg #40. Anyone think they have a shot at it? I don't live in Detroit, or America even, and have only been following the Red Wings for a few years. The importance of this whole thing may escape me to some degree. Please let me know what you think!

Aside from the obvious Lidstrom, Datsyuk is the only one that I see having a shot at making it to the rafters. If he continues his dominance, adds another championship to his resume and finishes his career with the Wings, it's a no brainer.

If you look at the fact that the likes of Osgood, Draper and even Holmstrom who have been major factors to the Wings success over the last 2 decades, it doesn't bode well for Z, Franzen or Kronwall, who will likely be Wings for life with success in Detroit.

Retiring jersey's is something sacred, I don't think teams need 20 jersey's retired like the Habs do. It should be for the organizational greats.

Aside from the obvious Lidstrom, Datsyuk is the only one that I see having a shot at making it to the rafters. If he continues his dominance, adds another championship to his resume and finishes his career with the Wings, it's a no brainer.

If you look at the fact that the likes of Osgood, Draper and even Holmstrom who have been major factors to the Wings success over the last 2 decades, it doesn't bode well for Z, Franzen or Kronwall, who will likely be Wings for life with success in Detroit.

Retiring jersey's is something sacred, I don't think teams need 20 jersey's retired like the Habs do. It should be for the organizational greats.

Hank will also be the next captain presumably, whereas Datsyuk won't. I would preferably only see Lidstrom and Datsyuk in the rafters myself.

# 5's going 100%. There's no point in discussing that.

#13 has a good chance as well IMO. If this was June 2008 or 2009, everyone would think #40 would go to the rafters as well.

Both Datsyuk and Zetterberg have the 'Red Wings blood/character' required to have their jerseys retired. We just have to wait to see what their cumulative accomplishments look like at the end of their careers--assuming they retire Wings (which I think is pretty much a guarantee).

Have you forgotten that Montreal has won 24 Cups in their history? How many of their retired numbers wouldn't count as, "organizational greats"? Give a few examples of numbers that shouldn't be retired by The Habs.

As far as Wings go. Larry Aurie's number deserves to be "officially" retired. And Lidstrom's number, will be retired, without a doubt. Datsyuk stands a chance, but he needs to add more team, as well as, personal awards to his resume for that to happen. That's why I think it would be great to have "honored" numbers, like The Leafs do. I feel that players like Draper, Shanahan, Osgood, Fedorov, etc., should be recognized for what they did for the team, even if their numbers are still left in circulation. Just my .02

The habs have that many because they are by far the number 1 all time franchise, I cant think of any number they have retired that shouldnt be.

As for the wings, Lidstrom will be and thats it probably. No Osgood, Homer and Draper wont. They were great redwings but not all time great players like everyone else in the rafters.

If Red Kelly isnt up there, its hard to make an argument for anyone else really

#5 Lidstrom - pretty self-explanatory. Lifetime wing and the best player of his generation. Has done it all.

#20 Downey - 2008 Stanley Cup. Enough said.

#4 Red Kelly - at some point, this organization will get a clue and retire his number. Probably after Ilitch dies and new ownership takes over. Before Lidstrom, he was the best defenseman ever to play for this franchise.

#6 Larry Aurie - same as above. His number may likely be restored one day where it belongs.

#7 Norm Ullman - a great player who was one of the best centers of his era. Only, I think he wore the same number as Lindsay. Don't know how that would work.

#91 Sergei Fedorov - this is one that will probably not happen, but I wish it would. I know it's been debated to death around here. But in 25 years, who knows.

#13 and #40 - They may or may not get retired, depending on how much more they accomplish in their careers.

Getting your number retired should only happen when there is no question that it shouldn't be there.

See, this line of reasoning annoys me because there is always a question over whether it should be there. I can show you posts by people on this website who think Lidstrom doesn't deserve to have his number retired. Seriously. So by your logic, he doesn't deserve to have his number retired.

For me Lidstrom obviously. I think Datsyuk will eventually because he is such an other-worldly talent with an already impressive resume. RIght now Zetterberg won't, as he hasn't really kicked on since 2008.

Osgood, Shanahan, Fedorov, Holmstrom and Draper - I've said this before, in 10 or 20 years when the Wings suck, and I mean really suck, and we're all nostalgic and misty-eyed about the good old days, some if not all of them will have their numbers retired. Osgood would already if he had won game 7/not been so injury prone at the end/not sucked so much at the end. Fedorov would be a lock by any other standard apart from the manner of his leaving.

Osgood, Shanahan, Fedorov, Holmstrom and Draper - I've said this before, in 10 or 20 years when the Wings suck, and I mean really suck, and we're all nostalgic and misty-eyed about the good old days, some if not all of them will have their numbers retired. Osgood would already if he had won game 7/not been so injury prone at the end/not sucked so much at the end. Fedorov would be a lock by any other standard apart from the manner of his leaving.

LOL @ Osgood, Holmstrom and Draper. None of them would even have gotten their numbers retired here. Fedorov would have if he retired as a Wing, and Shanahan is out as he didn't even play half his career here.

It's really just too early to say about Zetterberg and Datsyuk.

Really? How many HOFers have scored 200 goals and 700 points?

He'll probably get there, but I'm not sure I'd call him a lock at this point.

Bob Gainey is an excellent comparison, and Datsyuk is better. If Datsyuk retired today I think he still gets in.

I've always been of the mind that if you even have to hesitate and ask if a guy should have his number retired the answer is no.

Lidstrom? YES, 100% never any debate.

Datsyuk is getting closer, another 5 years at the current pace, another cup (which would give him three) and maybe a Conn Smythe or a Hart Trophy and yes, he's up there.

Zetterberg is tougher. Since he took on the role of shut down checker his offensive numbers are down. That being said he has banked a Conn Smythe and has won a cup. I'm willing to overlook offensive numbers in return for shutting down players at big times (ie Crosby in that 5 on 3 in the 2008 Final). Z will have to win at least one more cup and perhaps a Selke or two before I think he should make it up to the hallowed rafters of JLA.

Fedorov leaving in the way he did has always pissed me off. He'd won everything he could in Detroit. He was aces. If he'd have played his full career here his number certainly would have been hoisted but his own selfishness stopped that from ever happening.

Guest irishock

Datsyuk playing an entire career (say up to Selanne age and level) with us would have a better chance at his jersey going up the rafters than any of Fedorov, Shanahan or Osgood.

Edited by irishock

Really? How many HOFers have scored 200 goals and 700 points?

He'll probably get there, but I'm not sure I'd call him a lock at this point.

It's not about the number of points that Datsyuk will have at the end of his career or Stanley Cups or individual awards. He's simply one of the best and most talented players that has ever played this game. That's indisputable. He deserves to be recognised and honoured for that by being elected into the HoF.

Datsyuk most likely won't come close to 1394 career points, and definitely won't reach 668 goals but he is ten times the player Robitaille was.