• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
NorwegianWing

Future retired numbers

Rate this topic

It's not about the number of points that Datsyuk will have at the end of his career or Stanley Cups or individual awards. He's simply one of the best and most talented players that has ever played this game. That's indisputable. He deserves to be recognised and honoured for that by being elected into the HoF.

Datsyuk most likely won't come close to 1394 career points, and definitely won't reach 668 goals but he is ten times the player Robitaille was.

I understand that, but that reasoning very rarely gets you into the Hall of Fame, you need results.

Bob Gainey is a decent comparison in terms of stats, but he is/was considered the best defensive forward of all-time. I think Datsyuk is the better overall player, but without piling up the stats, I wouldn't put him into "LOCK" category.

Lids is as good as in, Pavs will most likely be but he still needs almost another decade of awesome to seal it....Z dropped out of this long ago imo, hes still a good player but not nearly as dominant a player as he used to be.

I highly doubt Pavs will play for another decade (though not impossible).

Datsyuk playing an entire career (say up to Selanne age and level) with us would have a better chance at his jersey going up the rafters than any of Fedorov, Shanahan or Osgood.

Datsyuk palying an entire career up to Selanne's age and level is an enormous stretch (stats wise anyway) - even age.

If this question had been asked 10 years ago, when Nick had just one Norris Trophy under his belt, would he have been the lock he now is? No.

Therefore it is way too early, IMO, to suggest Zetterberg or Datsyuk are unlikely to warrant having their numbers retired. Z probably has almost half of his career still to play, and I bet Datsyuk will play another six or seven years as well. There are many potential accomplishments for both of them still to come. Neither guy is likely to win a major award eight times after the age of 30 the way Nick has, but I could certainly see either of them winning a few more awards and a few more Cups. Bottom line, I think it is quite possible that both will have their numbers retired some day.

Edited by paulwoodsfan

Nothing against any current Wing or past Wing but #5 will probably be the only one for a long time. #13 and #40 are great players as were #91 and #14 but it takes more then that to get to the rafters at the Joe.

Lidstrom will. Datsyuk has a good chance. Fedorov one day will. There are numbers in te rafters at the Joe that belonged to players who left on much worst terms than Fedorov. He was the single biggest contributer (Bowman excluded) to 3 cups, one of which ended a gnarly drought. Add a billion awards NHL wide and internationally as well.

Nothing against any current Wing or past Wing but #5 will probably be the only one for a long time. #13 and #40 are great players as were #91 and #14 but it takes more then that to get to the rafters at the Joe.

Yes, but #13 & #40 will more than likely play their entire career's here. That is the major difference. I am not saying they will be up there but that would be their only chance.

Numbers I would LOVE to see up there withing the next 5 years:

#5 - #91 - #30 - #96(just to spite Bowman!)

However, the numbers that will probably be the ones going up:

#5. If Osgood get HOF, then maybe his will go up.

Lock 5 Could really be up there before he actually steps off the ice.

Likely 13, 91 (locks if from USA)

Fence 30 (top ten numbers (really!) .... Mayberry looks don't help )

Unlikely 14, 24 (locks if whole career as Wing)

Better get moving 40 (gone soft since wedding?)

One banner 18, 25, & 33, like to see some yeomen up there.

Beam me up, Scottie! Scottie Bowman helped redefine this franchise.

Personally don't think Shanny or Fed will ever be retired here. I remember a couple years ago there were seriously people saying that 33 and 18 could be retired.

Lidstrom will obviously be up there. I don't think Datsyuk will but he has a lot of hockey left.

Lids is a given. He's all that and a bucket of cheese. There is no better.

The next closest would be Pasha. If he continues to amaze and spends the rest of his career here, it is possible. I won't say yes, but I sure won't count him out yet.

I would like it if there was some sort of a secondary honouring system for guys like Ozzie, Drapes, Malts, Hank, Mac, Probie... guys who played a huge role in Red Wings history and were fan faves. Certainly not jersey retirement- that is just for the creme de la creme.

The next closest would be Pasha. If he continues to amaze and spends the rest of his career here, it is possible. I won't say yes, but I sure won't count him out yet.

I would like it if there was some sort of a secondary honouring system for guys like Ozzie, Drapes, Malts, Hank, Mac, Probie... guys who played a huge role in Red Wings history and were fan faves. Certainly not jersey retirement- that is just for the creme de la creme.

You know the posts/beams on the concourse level in the Joe with all the random.players on it? They should honor those guys on them. Put up a picture but also put up their career stats, a large font number of thier jersey number, and a bio and don't put a trash can underneath or around it. Then say something like "these are the guys who have supported (get it ;) Lol) this franchise in its brightest days".

They do.

It's these along the wall of the entrance to the locker room or something like that.

gordie_howe_plaque.jpg

Obviously if you're special enough to have your number in the rafters then you get both a banner that forever reserves the number and a plaque.

They do.

It's these along the wall of the entrance to the locker room or something like that.

gordie_howe_plaque.jpg

Obviously if you're special enough to have your number in the rafters then you get both a banner that forever reserves the number and a plaque.

Cool. I've never been to the Joe and have never heard of anyone getting the honour, so I'm glad they have something. I've seen the plaques sometimes on tv, but have never seen them up close.

Cool. I've never been to the Joe and have never heard of anyone getting the honour, so I'm glad they have something. I've seen the plaques sometimes on tv, but have never seen them up close.

Yzerman got one recently if I'm not mistaken? They do look pretty cool and I'd love to see them in person one day! *Can dream*.

Lidstrom's #5. Then another 40 years of nothing.

I'd potentially like to see #35 up there at his career's end :) he can be one big player in the future.

#96(just to spite Bowman!)

hysterical.gif loved this

The possibility of Pasha getting up there grows every season as he continues to just get better at his craft, took awhile. Among his peers there aren't many who deny it really and the longer he stays with the organization the harder it becomes to think anyone can wear #13 in the Winged Wheel ever again and what other premise does one have for retiring a jersey? Can't think of one.