• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
egroen

When Eaves comes back...

Rate this topic

Detroit will have too many forwards on the roster when Eaves returns. One of the bottom 6 forwards will have to be waived, traded for a low pick or bundled in a package for an upgrade.

Who would you prefer goes?

I doubt Helm or Abdelkader goes, but Eaves/Miller/Emmerton/Mursak all have similar qualities and are pretty easily replaceable, even within the organization.

As far as value to the team, I'd rank them:

Eaves

Mursak

Miller

Emmerton

Emmerton seems like the most obvious trade bait as he is young with upside but largely redundant on this team. Eaves injuries have me a little worried though.

With Kenny saying that Eaves recovery isn't going well at all, i'm not sure we should be pulling the trigger on this already.

I haven't really paid attention to his status - just assumed he would be back sooner than later.

With Kenny saying that Eaves recovery isn't going well at all, i'm not sure we should be pulling the trigger on this already.

I had a similar thought. A broken jaw isn't something you come back from in tip top shape immediately. Unless someone here has heard differently, I'd expect he's lost of ton of weight and strength. Generally, I agree with egroen's assessment of him being the most valuable on that list, but I suspect it'll be next season before we see Patty back at 100%. Making a quick move based on his return would feel odd to me, if I'm correct.

Even if Eaves remains on IR for the season, one of these guys will need to be moved if Holland brings in a forward before the trade deadline... which I am hoping he does - whether it is Parise/Ruutu/Hemsky/Moen/etc.

Edited by egroen

see I'd rank them:

mursak

miller

eaves

emmerton

i think mursak has tremendous upside (we just haven't seen it consistently because of injuries) and is very young.

miller plays a role and plays it well, and i don't think he'll be one of those players expecting a significant raise every few years.

eaves cannot stay healthy. seriously, look at his TSN profile.

emmerton is... um.

see I'd rank them:

mursak

miller

eaves

emmerton

i think mursak has tremendous upside (we just haven't seen it consistently because of injuries) and is very young.

miller plays a role and plays it well, and i don't think he'll be one of those players expecting a significant raise every few years.

emmerton is... um.

Isn't that word a little too strong? He has upside, but I doubt it's "tremendous", like he'll be some perennial All Star real soon.

see I'd rank them:

mursak

miller

eaves

emmerton

emmerton is... um.

Give the guy a break. He got a puck shot into his face. Not much you can do about that one. Even if he has had injury problems before hand, he hasn't been that injury prone while with the Wings besides for maybe a 10 game groin injury it has been all minor.

We currently have an open spot, and the roster limit goes away at the trade deadline. No one needs to be waived.

We do have a spot open with Eaves on the LTIR but the roster limit does not go away until the last regular season game. The cap also goes away at this time as well. No 23 man roster limit or salary cap for the playoffs.

I think I'm in the minority but I like what Miller brings to the team over Eaves. I'd rank them:

1) Mursak

2) Miller

3) Emmerton

4) Eaves

Only reason Emmerton is higher than Eaves is just because he's still relatively young and could still improve. To me Eaves does his job but I don't see any upward mobility for him.

Edited by nosyt612

We do have a spot open with Eaves on the LTIR but the roster limit does not go away until the last regular season game. The cap also goes away at this time as well. No 23 man roster limit or salary cap for the playoffs.

Buppy is correct. No roster limit after the trade deadline.

Buppy is correct. No roster limit after the trade deadline.

Yeah, my bad on that, just looked it up again and you're right. This is good news then. Assuming everyone is healthy there should be a lot of competition for the bottom 6 come playoff time.

Cleary

Homer

Helm

Abdelkader

Miller

Eaves

Emmerton

Mursak

Connor

I personally would like to see Mursak get some more ice. I really like his speed. I'm not too high on Miller but I can't deny that he is doing a great job this year and would be difficult to take out.

Isn't that word a little too strong? He has upside, but I doubt it's "tremendous", like he'll be some perennial All Star real soon.

tremendous in the sense that he's a 6th round pick who can skate like hell and that creates opportunities.

Give the guy a break. He got a puck shot into his face. Not much you can do about that one. Even if he has had injury problems before hand, he hasn't been that injury prone while with the Wings besides for maybe a 10 game groin injury it has been all minor.

i like eaves, and the broken jaw was a freak accident, for sure.

but even though he hasn't been that injury prone with the wings doesn't mean it couldn't happen. every year he's been in the league, with every team he's been on, he has been dogged by injuries.

that's all I'm saying.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=26377

23-man Roster<br style="font-family: verdana; ">There may be a maximum of 23 players on each Club's playing roster at any one time from the commencement of the NHL regular season through the trade deadline. Prior to the start of the season, each Club must submit to the NHL its "Opening Day Playing Roster" which shall be comprised of not more than 23 players. Each Club must have a roster of at least 20 players, composed of 18 skaters and two goaltenders. Players on Injured Reserve do not count in the 23-man limit.

So, if there is no roster limit after the deadline here is a roster I would LOVE to see after the deadline and with Eaves back in the mix...

Bertuzzi Datsyuk Franzen

Filppula Zetterberg Morrow

Moen Helm Cleary

Miller Abdelkader Eaves/Mursak/Conner/Holmstrom

Lidstrom White

Stuart Kronwall

Commodore Ericsson

Kindl/Smith

Howard

Nabokov

Obviously I am trading Hudler/Emmerton/Prospects/Picks to get Morrow/Moen/Nabokov. I know Hudler is playing well right now, but for me, that just ups his trade value and we need a valuable asset to acquire Morrow. I am not saying that Dallas would accept Hudler in exchange, but this is just what I would like to see happen. Obviously this team to be a bigger tougher team in order to get past the Sharks and Canucks this playoff season, so that is why I am sending Hudler away for Morrow and acquiring Moen and also shoring up the goalie spot with Nabokov because I would not be comfortable with Conklin backing up Howard in the playoffs.

I know the Hudler slappies are gonna neg me for this, but that is ok and justified, I personally would just rather see Morrow in the top 6 than Hudler. If we could get Morrow without losing Hudler, then all the better, but I think Hudler is not as good in the bottom 6 as he is on the second line and he would be wasted in that spot.

How about this:

Bert -Dats- Franz

Fil - Zett - Huds

Morrow - Helm - Cleary

Miller - Abdelkader - Moen

Mursak

Holmstrom

Eaves

Conner

That would assume that we could get Morrow AND Moen for just prospects. Of course Nabokov can be had with picks or maybe even a package including Conklin...

First off I'm not completly sure why Eaves was resigned this past off-season. Yes he's a good player but he's also had some injuries and he's one of the players that is replaceable. It seems to me the majority of people on here think Emmerton should go if we do anything as far as trading or waiving this season. My question is have we as fans given him a long enough oppertunity to be better and grow?? I'd say NO. He's young and yes he isn't a top star on this team and may never be a top star on this team or any other team in the NHL but he does have some value. Wings can't keep drating these players than taking so much time and effort in developing them on to waive or trade every single one. Example Quincey, Ritola, even Newbury imo had some value. I'm not saying who I'd want to get rid of because I really don't know yet but I just think that we all should give these younger players a chance to develop their skills in the NHL and see what they can do with the Wings before we send them packing.