• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
achildr1

My Dream NHL

Rate this topic

If I was NHL czar and had more influence than I should...

Pheonix moves to Hamilton, becomes Hamilton Tigers. (early NHL franchise)

Panthers move to Quebec, become Quebec Nordiques

NHL adopts the proposed four division set up.

Ottawa makes heritage Jersey thier home jersey and designs similar jersey for away.

San Jose returns to something not so horrifically bad.

Dallas scraps the college look and returns to original jerseys. If they move, go to Seattle.

Nashville scraps and burns their new look and returns to originals.

Colorado returns to originals.

Anahiem, NYI, scrap third jerseys.

Columbus makes home and aways like those thirds.

Carolina scraps toilet bowl logo and bases new look on the third jersey logo.

Gary Bettman is fired, rehired, then fired again to make my point loud and clear.

NHL Cap is set at 50 million and floor is 35. Those numbers don't change until next CBA. Player salaries are based on a system of ranking types and statistical analysis so Wade Redden's contract won't sink a franchise...because their will be no "burying" contracts. This is to put a stop to GM's inflating player salaries. Contracts will have a maximum length of 5-7 years. With a possible exemption for 1 franchise player.

No touch icing will be instilled. Fighting will remain a part of the game, although any staged fights or players who play less than 5 minutes a night with the sole purpose of fighting will be prohibited. A committee will oversee player discipline and clear gidelines for it will be established.

Several camera's at optimal positions will be installed in the goal posts for the fool proofing of goal calling. Toronto will no longer get to make stuff up. A goal will never allowed to be called or refuted on the ice if their is video evidence showing the opposite outcome.

The ice surface will be 5 feet wider on each side to make a compromise between international ane North American rinks that will allow for more skating and skill while reducing the amount of dangerous board play that is starting to decimate player health in the league.

The Winter Classic will become the center piece for league marketing for non-traditional fans. The All star weekend will be abolished and become part of the Winter Classic Weekend. Instead of two all star teams, the Stanley Cup winning team from the prior year will play a team comprised of all star players selected by coaches, GM's, and players. An emphasis on that years performance would be made. The game would count for something. The "all star" game would be played the day before the Winter Classic, along with the Alumni game. Preferably all on that years outdoor rink. Programming on the network in which it was televised would be hockey centered (history, 24/7, NHL 36, etc..) for either the whole weekend or the entire day of the Winter Classic. Like the Super bowl of hockey.

There would be an award for Best Defensive Defenseman.

The Stanley Cup would no longer be given by the commissioner but would be awarded by a person chosen by the winning team. A former star player, management, etc.

To be continued...

What would you want?

Instigator rule gone.

Go back to wood sticks

no more 3 point games if you lose you lose you get nothing. Winner gets 2 points shootout goes no more than 5 shooters each if nothing is decided then tie 1 point each

NHL off NBC back on ESPN

No games 2 nights in a row in the playoffs.

go back to 1 ref 2 linesmen on the ice 4th guy is in the press box

each team gets to play each other once a year home and away

player benches at opposite ends of the ice.

Sponsored named arenas must share a heritage name for example the Bell Centre Forum In Montreal, The Air Canada Maple Leaf Gardens in Toronto, Caesars Olympiad in Detroit, The TD Boston Gardens teams without deep heritage will just have to make something up!

and also the ability to challenge a call, goal ect like in football give the coach 1 yellow flag to throw on the ice per game.

Edited by shoe

Relocate any struggling franchise (i.e. Phoenix, Columbus, Florida, Islanders) to Canada, either in Quebec or Hamilton

Relocate any struggling franchise (see above) to any of the following western cities: Seattle, KC, Portland, SLC

Each team plays home and away with every other team in the league every season

Detroit and Toronto back in the same division

No more 3 point games, if 5 minute OT and 5 round shootout is not enough to decide winner, the game ends in a tie with each team awarded 1 point, if you lose, whether in regulation, OT, or shootout, you are awarded 0 points.

Instigator rule and trapezoid are gone.

Hybrid icing implemented, referee or linesman can blow play dead if they judge the defending player will reach puck first after it passes the faceoff dot.

No more fan balloting for ASG

Make the Winter Classic the last game before the All Star break

Instigator rule gone. If you show me proof of a goon k-oing a star on purpose, the goon's gonna get suspended.

Phoenix to Quebec or Hamilton.

Florida CAN STAY. If they can keep attendance above 15k (which they have, current stats put them at 16,744), they can have em in Miami. http://espn.go.com/nhl/attendance

NYI can move to Quebec or Hamilton. The New Barclays Center in Brooklyn seats 14,500 on a regulation sized rink, it's not enough. And the mausoleum will fall down in 4 years anyway.

NJ can move to somewhere. If the Ownership group can't get their s*** together, We will take over and sell to the highest bidder, relocation or not. KC Has an arena, but no ownership group, Seattle has a lot of drive for it, but no ownership group, and no suitable arena. Portland OR? maybe. Hartford? Needs a new building. Saskatoon has a building that seats 15,135 and you KNOW that would sell out every night. Needs an ownership group.

i like all the ideas you mentioned. i would add on the topic of taking out the trapezoid, if a goalie leaves the crease to play the puck he should essentially become a 3rd dman that can be hit. then you won't have goalies thinking they're untouchable and turning their back to play the puck and try to draw a penalty. i think the lucic hit on miller was great and that's what should happen when a goalie's 30 ft out of his net.

i love the fire/rehire/fire again for bettman...that's good s***! and as much as i love shanny, he's s***ting the bed with some of his BS suspensions. i guess he had to be hard on Smith cause he's a former Wing and can't show bias, but that was a pathetic suspension call, let alone giving 5 games for it.

i really wish the NHL actually could make the rinks bigger but the owners would unfortunately never sign off on spending millions to do the construction. as long as they get their revenue, most owners don't care about making the game more wide open and safe, they care about the first 2-3 rows of seats they would lose...

I considered going back to wood sticks, I think that may be beneficial.

I would be totally fine with NJ moving as well. If they can't make it after winning as much as they have the last 15 years, they need to go somewhere else. Maybe the Islanders could have a few more fans if that happened.

This is extremely far fetched, but I wonder how a team in Windsor would do? That would be awesome for a rivalry with Detroit. And Southern Ontario could probably support a team even in a super small market like Windsor.

I love the english premier league's setup.

every team has a reserve team for their prospects, i.e. the detroit red wing reserves.

the NHL keeps its 30 teams, but the bottom 3 teams at the end of the year go to the AHL, and the top 3 teams in the AHL come up to the NHL.

Cool topic.

My dream NHL:

*Remove the instigator penalty

*Adopt the four division system proposed earlier this year

*Go back to the home team wearing white

*Continue to allow players to choose whether to wear a visor or not

*Move teams out of Phoenix and Florida and put them in Quebec City and Hamilton. Shift division format accordingly

*Remove the trapezoid

*Ease up on the hooking/holding/interference, in order to enable players to play a little defense without getting penalized, but without slowing the game down to the mid-'90s pace.

*Remove the "Delay of game" penalty for players flipping the puck out of play in their own end

*Remove the double minor penalty when blood is drawn on a high stick

*Continue to allow refs to choose whether to wear a visor or not

*Host Winter Classics in cities that have the weather conditions to host one. No team will play in the Winter Classic more than once before every other team gets a turn to participate in one. For example, even if a team like Dallas does not have the weather conditions to host one, they will get their chance to play in one before any other team plays in multiple. Once Pittsburgh or Washington or Detroit play, they will wait until every other team has participated in one before they get a chance to play in one again. If we continue to feature a small amount of teams in the Classic every year, it will lose its steam.

Hopefully this thread lasts a while. I'm sure some great ideas will be tossed out there. I'm sure I'll have to come back and edit this later on.

Edited by Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Contract Florida, Nashville and Columbus from the league

Move Winnipeg to Quebec and move Phoenix back to Winnipeg. Somehow, it'd be more fitting.

Ban goalies from getting into a butterfly stance.

Get rid of the instigator.

Bring back pure goons who can't play hockey.

Give the original 6 teams an automatic playoff spot.

Bring back the jerseys from the early 90's. Get rid of the new Reebok s*** and the stupid stripes.

Have home teams wear white again.

Each team will play a home and home against each team.

30 NHL teams, plus a new expansion team called the LGW Blizzard. Here is how the Blizzard will look:

Doc Holliday-Konnan511-Hockeytown0001

Red Wings Addict-Motown4013-SouthernWingsFan

Newfy-F.Michael-Detroit #1 Fan

GMRwings1983-Esteef-LeftWinger

55fan-Chelischick

Edicius-Cusimano_Brothers

Jollymania-haroldsnepsts

WizardofOz30

Puckloo39

Head Coach: Shoreline

Assistant Coach: Mindfly

Goaltending Coach: Jedi

Team Doctor: Matt

GM: Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Assistant GM: Tim.D

30 NHL teams, plus a new expansion team called the LGW Blizzard. Here is how the Blizzard will look:

Doc Holliday-Konnan511-Hockeytown0001

Red Wings Addict-Motown4013-SouthernWingsFan

Newfy-F.Michael-Detroit #1 Fan

GMRwings1983-Esteef-LeftWinger

55fan-Chelischick

Edicius-Cusimano_Brothers

Jollymania-haroldsnepsts

WizardofOz30

Puckloo39

Head Coach: Shoreline

Assistant Coach: Mindfly

Goaltending Coach: Jedi