• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
unsaddleddonald

Vancouver Sun article on why no one hates the Wings

Rate this topic

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/Wings+have+earned+love/6087554/story.html

“I played against Detroit more than I played for them, and the good way to put it is you have respect for them,” defenceman Mike Commodore said. “A lot of guys end up staying here for a long time. Other guys come in here and maybe their career is at a standstill or they’re on the backside of their career, and they’re able to come here and get rejuvenated. Players respect that, too. The way things are done in Detroit has garnered respect."

EVERYONE LOVES THIS TEAM :angel:

I can name quite a few fanbases, including plenty of names, that do hate us. They all just mad that we got all da Cups

Well, I know for a fact a bunch of current and former Blues players can't stand the Red Wings. I assume it's the same in many other cities.

But that's nothing compared to the various fanbases that hate the Red Wings.

The hatred has nothing (or at least very little) to do with the number of cups the Wings have won...at least as far as I am concerned. For me, it is a combination of certain players I don't like, incidents that have happened in the past (reg. season and playoffs), and past inabilities to get past Detroit in the playoffs, finishing behind them in the standings, etc.

I hate the Canucks...can't stand 'em...do they have any cups? Nope.

I can't stand the Sharks either... no cups.

I actually enjoy the Penguins...and they have a handful of cups. No hatred there from me.

I don't dislike the Canadiens...kind of impartial to them really, and they seemingly have 14,000 cups.

The number of cups a team has, has little to do with whether I hate them or not. It's really all about particular players, specific incidents, etc.

K guys you are missing the point in this article. For one, he isn't talking about our fanbase.....

People hate the Bruins because they play thug hockey.

People hate the Rangers because of Tortorella and players "shooting" goalies after a goal.

People hate the Canucks because they are divers/crybabies.

People hate the Sharks because of players like Thornton (playoff cheap shot master) and Pavelski (diver).

People hate Chicago because they have guys like Kane who will score a goal and race out to center ice with a celebration.

People hate the Wings because.....they win? When our guys score they act like they've done it before. They don't play goon hockey. They don't complain in the media. They don't dish out cheap shots. And to that Blues fan, other than not being able to get over the "Red Wings hump", the only incidents you could be referring to are the Chris Pronger days.

This isnt about fans hating the Wings, it says "players" dont hate the Wings.

Cprice, you are classic...please enlighten us on the players that you know for a fact hate the Wings and provide us with the players statements that prove it. We already know you are jealous and that is why you hate.

I personally only dislikes teams because of their idiot fans who think they know stuff, but they really dont....ie Blues.

The hatred has nothing (or at least very little) to do with the number of cups the Wings have won...at least as far as I am concerned. For me, it is a combination of certain players I don't like, incidents that have happened in the past (reg. season and playoffs), and past inabilities to get past Detroit in the playoffs, finishing behind them in the standings, etc.

What players didn't/don't you like? Lidstrom? Yzerman? Osgood? Datsyuk? I known I'm coming from a complete bias here, but I can't really think of many Wings players in recent history that have had cause for people to hate them. Maybe some people like Chelios and Maltby, but there were never REALLY hateable, more just annoying to oppositions.

The only thing I remember reading about anyone being truely unhappy with the Wings was Curtis Joseph after we apparently treated him like crap. I think he said something to the effect that his years in Detroit were the worst of his career.

The only thing I remember reading about anyone being truely unhappy with the Wings was Curtis Joseph after we apparently treated him like crap. I think he said something to the effect that his years in Detroit were the worst of his career.

He sure loved his $8,000,000 a year though...

Well, I know for a fact a bunch of current and former Blues players can't stand the Red Wings. I assume it's the same in many other cities.

But that's nothing compared to the various fanbases that hate the Red Wings.

I hate the Canucks...can't stand 'em...do they have any cups? Nope.

I can't stand the Sharks either... no cups.

I actually enjoy the Penguins...and they have a handful of cups. No hatred there from me.

I don't dislike the Canadiens...kind of impartial to them really, and they seemingly have 14,000 cups.

The number of cups a team has, has little to do with whether I hate them or not. It's really all about particular players, specific incidents, etc.

Your jealousy is showing...don't feel bad, a lot of people have that problem. ;)

Cprice, you are classic...please enlighten us on the players that you know for a fact hate the Wings and provide us with the players statements that prove it. We already know you are jealous and that is why you hate.

I personally only dislikes teams because of their idiot fans who think they know stuff, but they really dont....ie Blues.

Kelly Chase, Tony Twist, Backes, nickol, jackman just to name a few. these guys hate the wings. Being from st. louis I have relatives that run into or know these guys pretty well. The blues alumni love jackman for his aggressive play against the wings and his hatred for them. I get crap for wearing my wings shirts all the time. During game days against the Red Wings the local ESPN radio show calls it "Punch a Wings fan in the face day". I get a lot of crap for wearing Wings socks in pick up games. fans around here just do not like anything to do with the wings. Some places that I play I can't even wear anything Red Wings without getting cheap shots or just completely ignored on the ice. There is a lot of hatred and will only get worse if the new playoff format is approved. The good thing is that when going to blues vs Red Wings games if you are respectful and knowledgable the blues fans leave you alone or will have a decent conversation with you. Rarely have I ever had a problem going to the games, gentle ribbing every once in a while.

The only nice thing I can say about any of the Blues is that I like the fact that David Backes flew to Texas and brought back three rescued dogs. As a dog lover and owner, I do admire him for that - but that's where it ends.

All them years making it to the playoffs and consecutively and no Lord Stanleys to show for it... Come on man, be for real, please.

Kelly Chase, Tony Twist, Backes, nickol, jackman just to name a few. these guys hate the wings. Being from st. louis I have relatives that run into or know these guys pretty well. The blues alumni love jackman for his aggressive play against the wings and his hatred for them. I get crap for wearing my wings shirts all the time. During game days against the Red Wings the local ESPN radio show calls it "Punch a Wings fan in the face day". I get a lot of crap for wearing Wings socks in pick up games. fans around here just do not like anything to do with the wings. Some places that I play I can't even wear anything Red Wings without getting cheap shots or just completely ignored on the ice. There is a lot of hatred and will only get worse if the new playoff format is approved. The good thing is that when going to blues vs Red Wings games if you are respectful and knowledgable the blues fans leave you alone or will have a decent conversation with you. Rarely have I ever had a problem going to the games, gentle ribbing every once in a while.

My uncles, sisters fathers son told me he hates them....other than he said she said, you just talked about how much the fans hate them.....

I don't have any quotes on hand. Not something I collect and save. Sorry.

But my comment stems from years of hearing occasional comments made by players & former players. TV & radio interviews, or even talking to them in person. I've spent a few games in the press box talking with a few former players (Chase, Twist, MacInnis), radio broadcasters, etc. I talk with Chris Kerber (Blues PBP radio voice) every now and then as I was doing some web work for him, and we've talked about the team's underlying hatred for certain teams, including the Red Wings. One of the games that I was in the press box, was against the Hawks...and the topic of rivalries came up...and Detroit was mentioned as a team a lot of the players couldn't stand.

A buddy of mine that I did the St. Louis Blues Radio podcast with has press credentials and interviews players all of the time. I can get more info for you on this topic if you want to obsess over it.

I've already said I'm not jealous of the Red Wings for anything. The fact you keep saying it doesn't somehow make it true. I'm being honest. No jealousy...just a sports rivalry hatred that stems from too many incidents on the ice to mention.

And I'm not sure what you think I don't know. Why would I come on here and lie? I just tell it like it is. So there you go.

What players didn't/don't you like? Lidstrom? Yzerman? Osgood? Datsyuk? I known I'm coming from a complete bias here, but I can't really think of many Wings players in recent history that have had cause for people to hate them. Maybe some people like Chelios and Maltby, but there were never REALLY hateable, more just annoying to oppositions.

Easiest question ever.

McCarty

Draper

Maltby

Holmstrom

Lapointe

Hasek

Chelios

Kocur

Probert

Konstantinov

Datsyuk

Bertuzzi

Howard

I'm sure they are all nice guys off the ice or whatever...but strictly speaking on the ice, I couldn't stand those guys.

Some because of some on ice incident(s)...others because they are dirty/cheap...and others just because they are Wings. ;)

I don't hate Yzerman. You'd think I would because of that 2OT goal in game 7 back in the day...but I hate Gretzky for coughing the puck up to #19 right before the goal.