• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
toby91_ca

NHL Investigation

Rate this topic

The most interesting part I took from the article is the suggestion that they are investigating everything, including whether it is possible for the clock to stop like that. I took from that.... a suggestion that they are considering the possibility that the timekeeper paused the clock purposely to allow the Kings some extra time to get that goal. I haven't heard any such allegations, I'm just making my own assumption here on the possibility.

TSN

Edit..I messed up my edit, hopefully this doesn't appear twice. The funniest thing is that even if Columbus wins their next 32 straight games, they probably still miss the playoffs. If the Kings make it in by 1pt, that will be interesting.

Edited by toby91_ca

Wow, interesting, i'll have to watch the video once I get home. What really quirks me is how they're saying "Once it's over, it's over" Really? This is the mentality our league has with their screw ups? I know this isn't new, and yes the league is quite dumb dumb at times, but REALLY? I would be up in arms if I had missed the playoffs due to 1 pt from the Kings. You just can't rationalize something like that... that way..

Wow, interesting, i'll have to watch the video once I get home. What really quirks me is how they're saying "Once it's over, it's over" Really? This is the mentality our league has with their screw ups? I know this isn't new, and yes the league is quite dumb dumb at times, but REALLY? I would be up in arms if I had missed the playoffs due to 1 pt from the Kings. You just can't rationalize something like that... that way..

But what are you going to do....have them replay the game? Even doing that changes everything, it's a different game. What should have happened is that they noticed there shouldn't have been a goal when it happened and then they go on to overtime. I don't see any way of fixing this after the fact.

What do you expect them to do? Take away the point and have a do over? When can they do that with the type of schedule they have?

I would expect them to know this is a common occurrence with the league. How many times per season is there some calls towards goals, timing, ect that could influence the game? They should want to implement some type of valid system. Implement more cameras at better angles, ensure the damn clock can function, you know... It just happens so many times during the season where they have to go to the "war room" in toronto for clock screw ups, or miscalled goals. I know it won't be fixed, but I sure enough know that the best way to rationalize something to the public isn't to simply say "uhhh, its over so yeah."

This was worse than Michigan State. I think that the timekeeper's head is going to roll. If it was a mistake, then the timekeeper should have said it was. If he did, and the refs and the league didn't listen to him, then thats even worse.

I would expect them to know this is a common occurrence with the league. How many times per season is there some calls towards goals, timing, ect that could influence the game? They should want to implement some type of valid system. Implement more cameras at better angles, ensure the damn clock can function, you know... It just happens so many times during the season where they have to go to the "war room" in toronto for clock screw ups, or miscalled goals. I know it won't be fixed, but I sure enough know that the best way to rationalize something to the public isn't to simply say "uhhh, its over so yeah."

I don't see a lot of clock malfunctions, so I'm not sure how common it is.

I don't see a lot of clock malfunctions, so I'm not sure how common it is.

Or, it might not even be a "malfunction" or human malfeasance:

"Those clocks are sophisticated instruments that calculate time by measuring electrical charges called coulombs, explained Kings general manager Dean Lombardi in an email to TSN. "Given the rapidity and volume of electrons that move through the measuring device the calibrator must adjust at certain points which was the delay you see – the delay is just recalibrating for the clock moving too quickly during the 10 - 10ths of a second before the delay - this insures that the actual playing time during a period is exactly 20 minutes. That is not an opinion - that is science - amazing devise quite frankly."

I've noticed this phenomenon before. There are times when the clock on FSN will appear to briefly hang. However, I've only noticed this happen with more than 1:00 left, so it just appears that it takes a long time before the next second clicks off. I've just assumed that this was due to a "hiccup" between the arena's timing system and the networks. If what the LA GM says it true, then the timing mechanism picked a really bad time for Columbus to "re-sync".

I've noticed this phenomenon before. There are times when the clock on FSN will appear to briefly hang. However, I've only noticed this happen with more than 1:00 left, so it just appears that it takes a long time before the next second clicks off. I've just assumed that this was due to a "hiccup" between the arena's timing system and the networks. If what the LA GM says it true, then the timing mechanism picked a really bad time for Columbus to "re-sync".

I've noticed it too. I tend to see it happen more when there is less than a minute. I always thought it was just the FSN clock not syncing up 100% with the real game clock or having something to do with only 2 or 3 digits in the clock. All speculation on my part, of course.

While we are on topic, I'm pretty sure it was this year, but does anyone remember that happening to the Wings? It wasn't at 1.8 and led to the tying goal, but I remember we were on a PK and the clock didn't tick for 15-20 seconds. I remember being pissed because it meant we spent an extra 20 seconds or so on the PK. IIRC, Ken even pointed it out.

I think this probably happens more times than people would like to admit whether intentional or accidental. I think we have all seen the clock freeze for a second or two, or keep running for a few seconds after the whistle before.

Not NHL, but just the other day I was watching a Walleye game on TV, and there was only a minute or so left in the period the Walleye were srtuggling to maintain their lead, and even get the puck out of their zone, and when the whistle blew the clock stopped, then ran again, then stopped for a millisecond then ran some more before it atually stopped. It was probably 10 seconds that ran off.

Edited by sleepwalker

What are we, in the 18th century using wind up clocks? The muli-billion dollar NHL can't get game clocks that work like a clock should ... one that doesn't go faster or slower throughout the game and has to 'sync' every so often? This is a joke, how about they take some of the commissioner's salary to buy some game clocks for every arena that work like most people's clocks ... straight and narrow.

its funny he says they are sophisticated and amazing machines, yet they fail at their only purpose, which is accurately counting down from 20:00 to zero... while it sucks to see things like this, the b.s. excuses and coverups is what is really embarrassing... just own up to what really happened and stop blaming coulombs...

I think he was trying to say that the clock auto-adjusts so that the period is exactly 20 minutes. Why the clock can't be designed to not get off within a twenty minute period is beyond me though. That video sure looks sketchy though.

Strange, the Kings GM benefits from a ridiculous circumstance and attempts to justify it.

Didn't see that coming.

Or maybe he's just explaining how the clocks work?

It may look shady because the kings scored with so little time left. But that's thinking of it after the fact when we know they scored. If someone did control the clock like that they obviously couldn't know doughty would score. But they had a trick prepared to delay the clock a couple extra tenths of a second just in case?

Seems unlikely. It's possible the timekeeper intentionally delayed the clock for a few tenths of a second and doughty scored in that time. If he did, that guy should go play the lotto. He's hot some seriously good luck right now.

Isn't this a network issue rather than a league/Kings issue? All this is based on the graphics that the network provided. Surely as long as the time runs for a complete 20 minutes, and no more, in the time keepers box then it's all fine? I mean we've seen times before where teams come out to play the 2nd or 3rd period, only to play 1 second of the previous as the timers didn't match. I think it's probably all fine, but the (possibly less accurate) TV clock, was just trying to catch up with actual game clock so that the horn would sound as it hit 0:00.

Funny though. Never seen anything like that before. I've always prefered sports with countdown clocks. Not like football (soccer) whereby the officials deem how much time has been wasted and then add it on accordingly. I've seen football matches where the officials indicate 3 or 4 minutes added at the end, then proceed to play 6 or 7 during which the 'bigger' team (usually Manchester Utd) score an equalising goal. Much conspiracy there amongst non-Utd fans hehe :P Then rugby just seems to do what it wants, in that the game ends at 80 minutes, but only when play stops - so if you need a few points to win, you've got to keep the ball in play. Quite fun, but gets crazy then they get into about the 8th extra minute.