• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
hockey23

Howard has broken finger, Joey Mac recalled

Rate this topic

It seems like the initial injury estimate with the Red Wings always turns out to be longer than expected. I never really bought the two games speculation with a broken finger, but anything close to this 4-6 weeks talk would be devastating.

I'm rooting for Conklin to come up big with this opportunity, but this has the potential to go south real quick for the Red Wings.

Please heal quickly Jimmy.

Guest irishock

Nah, we won't be losing to the 8th seed. ;)

But you will. You're losing to the 8th seed in the final day of the regular season in a tight playoff race, falling right out of the playoffs with the Stars at #8.

Guest irishock

MacDonald looked real solid out there. I guess it could be due to the fact that he's at least seen some form of action in AHL games for the season. Conklin has been simply raw.

after the other nights Game mike babcock has got to be thinking..."Do I keep Joey MacDonald and send ty conklin on his way. When howard comes back?"

Not knowing all the ins & outs of any mans contract who knows. But Lets hope so...

MacDonald looked real solid out there. I guess it could be due to the fact that he's at least seen some form of action in AHL games for the season. Conklin has been simply raw.

Exactly. People forget that Howard went through the same thing when he was Osgood's back-up a few years ago. With goalies, it takes a few consecutive games to get into a groove. Conklin is no Jimmy Howard but I expect once he gets a few games under his belt he will be fine. When Conklin was with us 2 years ago, he saw enough action to keep him fresh.

Maybe after tonight people will wake up to what I have been screaming when we signed him...AGAIN, but Conklin has no right being out there with us.

Damn, I wish Holland had listened to you. Did you at least try to call him and let him know that he was making a mistake?

Exactly. People forget that Howard went through the same thing when he was Osgood's back-up a few years ago. With goalies, it takes a few consecutive games to get into a groove. Conklin is no Jimmy Howard but I expect once he gets a few games under his belt he will be fine. When Conklin was with us 2 years ago, he saw enough action to keep him fresh.

Damn, I wish Holland had listened to you. Did you at least try to call him and let him know that he was making a mistake?

I tried but he wouldn't take it, something about not excepting the charges is what I was told.

Does Conklin have a 2-way contract? If so, why don't they swap MacDonald and Conklin, that way we have a reliable backup for now and Conklin can see some regular action and get back into a groove.

I know Conklin hasn't played well but I don't like how people talk about him like he's garbage. We know there's talent in there, and to be fair he hasn't played consistently and most of his games have come when the Wings take the night off. Obviously he's expendable, but I don't think it's quite fair to completely denigrate the guy.

Does Conklin have a 2-way contract? If so, why don't they swap MacDonald and Conklin, that way we have a reliable backup for now and Conklin can see some regular action and get back into a groove.

I know Conklin hasn't played well but I don't like how people talk about him like he's garbage. We know there's talent in there, and to be fair he hasn't played consistently and most of his games have come when the Wings take the night off. Obviously he's expendable, but I don't think it's quite fair to completely denigrate the guy.

Pretty much exactly how I feel. Not trying to solely defend Conklin, maybe I am, but the team didn't show up well for him last night and a good bit this season. Obviously he himself has certainly not helped his own cause either.

I'm not against anything in terms of the backup goalie position, but I don't think it's time to officially declare a move/trade for a backup.

While I do have a soft spot some for Conklin, I really just wish I could understand why the continued hesitancy towards MacDonald. I'm not trying to make him out to be more than he is, but last season in extended relief, did as good as you could ask for. Last night, the same. If Conklin continues to struggle, why not promote MacDonald up to #2? If worst comes to worst and you have to put Conklin on waivers and nobody claims him, I wouldn't think that three goalie salaries in the current roster makeup would put a lot of pressure on their salary cap (please correct me if I am wrong, I don't follow salaries/the cap situation at all).

And I want to state that in this situation it would make me very happy if Conklin stops struggling, but his chances are getting fewer and fewer obviously.

While I agree there have been games/times when the team has left Conklin out to dry, the scenario works both ways. It's deflating for a team to not be able to count on their goalie to make even routine saves. Look at what happened when MacDonald came in last night. His ability to make stops gave the Red Wings a chance to stick around and make something of the game.

Conklin is a backup goalie. I'm basically to the point now where I can't accept the excuse it's rust for Conklin when he goes out during games and gets lit up. His role is to be prepared when called upon and quite frankly besides his first start, he hasn't been capable even for a backup's standard. Maybe with more starts he would find more of a groove, but the Red Wings aren't in a position right now to be throwing points away so Conklin might eventually look like a respectable goalie again.

3.40 GAA, .878 save percentage. Maybe the team in front of him hasn't shown up at times, but those stats alone show Conklin hasn't done a whole lot of showing up for them either. I don't expect him to be Jimmy Howard all of a sudden, but right now it appears even Joey MacDonald is a stronger option in net than Ty Conklin.

personally, i am waiting for a couple more games before making up my mind, but i am really leaning towards conklin not being someone they should keep on the roster. it's unfortunately not even an issue of how good or bad he might be in a night. to me it comes down to the fact that the team is nowhere near as effective with him in net. whether its a lack of confidence, bad luck, or anything else, it just isn't working right now.

i certainly concede that a lack of playing time can hurt a backup. however, conklin is 54th in minutes played, so it could be worse. the team is 6th in goals against and howard is near the top in most goalie stats, so its not like the team in front of him is incapable. yet he is near the bottom of all goalies for save percentage. even a guy like macdonald was able to come in and play lights out last night.

the problem could be conklin. the problem could be how the team in front of him plays when hes in there. either way, with how tight the central is, its a problem the wings cant afford to let linger.

Conklin is not a good backup goalie. He was 3 years ago. If howard went down for any period of time in the playoffs would you be comfortable with Conklin or Macdonald plugging that hole for any amount of time under that kind of pressure? I wouldn't. This team is too good not to make a move in my opinion.

I just feel so bad for Jimmy if he's out for a month, the boy was well on his way to stomping the s*** out of brodeurs wins in a season record. As far as Conks goes while Jimmy is gone it's going to be the goalie that gives us the best shot at a W and right now that looks like Joey Mac.