• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Echolalia

What to do about goaltending

Rate this topic

Heaven forbid something happen to jimmy and he ends up on the ir for the postseason, because he has been quite the work horse and as consistent as anyone could ask.

Unfortunately the same cant be said for Conklin. I don't trust him between the pipes. Regardless of how the team plays in front of him, the puck hasnt been hitting him and this late in the season I think it might be asking much for something to change now. Joey Mac is getting the start tonight, so for the time being it seems that the organization is looking to see if MacDonald is a viable backup option, but given the short time between now and the deadline, are there enough games to determine how viable that option is? Or should Holland play it safe and deal for a back-up at the deadline? What would everyone prefer?

I'm waiting to see how MacDonald does tonight and possibly the next few games. I'm thinking that's what the Wings brass is going to be doing as well. There's enough games IMO.

Until then, it's tough to answer. We can't overpay for a backup based on the off-chance that Jimmy might be injured in the playoffs. Every team faces that risk with their starting goaltender.

Edited by Nevermind

I'm waiting to see how MacDonald does tonight and possibly the next few games. I'm thinking that's what the Wings brass is going to be doing as well. There's enough games IMO.

Until then, it's tough to answer. We can't overpay for a backup based on the off-chance that Jimmy might be injured in the playoffs. Every team faces that risk with their starting goaltender.

Why exactly can't we overpay for a backup? We have 5m in cap space, and our only weak link is Conklin. We all know Holland isn't gonna make any moves anywhere else.

What to do...What to do....Trade for Nabokov right F'ing now! Overspend no, send Conklin back along with some picks or a lower prospect. Jimmy may not get injured again this season, but if he does, we have NO chance with Conklin and MacDonald.

Which duo looks better?

Howard/Conklin?

Howard/MacDonald?

Conklin/MacDonald?

Howard/Nabokov?

and if there is an injury Nabokov/MacDonald.

Well, how about giving Conklin more than one start a month? He's 35. Sometimes, older guys need to actually play once in a while to get into a rhythm. He has one bad game and then he gets to think about it as he rots on the bench while Howard starts 15 straight.

Why not kill 2 birds with one stone if you are looking at Nabokov as an option. Make a trade for Nabokov and Moulson/Okposo... I know that it seems unlikely to get some of the players from NYI since they are younger, but man it would be pretty sweet to get a bigger winger like Moulson...

Just an idea.

I am never one to throw trade scenarios out there, but with our backup situation, I thought I would throw this out there. What would you think about picking up Giguere and Quincey from Colorado?

That's weird, I had the exact thought the other day watching the Avs/Nucks game :lol: For the right package it'd be nice, Giggy played his best hockey under Babs and Quincey was drafted here :ph34r:

That's weird, I had the exact thought the other day watching the Avs/Nucks game :lol: For the right package it'd be nice, Giggy played his best hockey under Babs and Quincey was drafted here :ph34r:

Yes, and Quincey is supposedly on the block. It looks like Giguere's numbers are okay this year. The two main questions would be what would go in the other direction, and if the Avs would go for it.

Why exactly can't we overpay for a backup? We have 5m in cap space, and our only weak link is Conklin. We all know Holland isn't gonna make any moves anywhere else.

I meant in terms of draft picks and prospects, not dollars.

I am never one to throw trade scenarios out there, but with our backup situation, I thought I would throw this out there. What would you think about picking up Giguere and Quincey from Colorado?

Even though the rivalry's been long dead, I'm not sure if Detroit and Colorado would ever be trading partners.

Islanders are going to lose Nabakov for nothing after this season if they do not trade him. I don't think he'll be that expensive - how many playoff teams really need a backup goaltender?

This is what I was worried about last summer. If Howard gets injured, we're in serious trouble. I think a move needs to be made to acquire a competent backup goalie, not just for now but just in case, God forbid, something else would happen to him later on. Our season shouldn't hinge on Jimmy's health.

Islanders are going to lose Nabakov for nothing after this season if they do not trade him. I don't think he'll be that expensive - how many playoff teams really need a backup goaltender?

Agreed. Somehow it feels like Snow won't deal Nabokov to Detroit though, out of nothing else but pure prick-ish-ness.

I can't believe that everyone is still freaking out about Howard's injury. There is absolutely nothing, right now, to suggest Howard won't be ready for the playoffs. Nothing has changed from prior to the injury to today in terms of the risks/rewards of heading to the playoffs with Howard/Conklin.

Do I agree that Conklin has looked shaky more often than capable? Of course I do but that by no means suggests that I think it would be wise to waste assets acquiring a back up. Anything more than a 3rd/4th round pick would be a waste. I'm not even sure I'd want them to send out a 3/4 pick. MacDonald is capable and come playoff time Howard will be ready.

For everyone that is arguing 'if Howard is out the Wings are screwed in the playoffs' you should all realize that that's the case for the vast majority of teams in the hunt. The only teams that wouldn't be screwed would be:

BOS (Rask)

PHI (Bobrovsky) - it's not a significant downgrade from the way bryzgalov has been playing

TOR (Gustavsson/Reimer) - lately both have been fine but neither is a significant upgrade over the other

VAN (Schneider)

SJ (Greiss) although he is unproven (by a long stretch) he has had a good year so far

NASH (Lindback) - he's really good but a downgrade from Rinne, but they wouldn't be screwed with him

STl (Elliot/Halak)

LA (Bernier)

MINN (Harding)

Of that list the only teams that truly would still be as competitive with or without their starter are BOS, PHI, VAN, STL

Even that, PHI would still have as a good a shot only because Bryzgalov has been shaky this year. Normally that would be a big step down to Bob.

The situations that BOS, VAN and STL have are luxuries - not necessities

Blues might be willing to take anything for Ben Bishop. He's a UFA (when I looked quick, could be wrong) who has spent more than his share of time in the minors (ala Jimmy). And with Halak/Elliott for another year, Bishop is likely going to want to out of the Blues and into an organization that needs someone like him. At 6-6, he can practically cover from post to post in the butterfly, and his shoulders are equal to the crossbar height when down. A huge body that makes it hard to score on.

He's been frustrating to the opponent every time I've seen him play against the Chicago Wolves. He definitely got better the longer he stayed in Peoria (just like Jimmy in GR).

With reports of the Wings scouting the Sabres lately, I wouldn't be too surprised to see something like Enroth & Boyes as Kenny should be able to make that deal pretty cheaply with the Sabres wanting to get something back out of the Boyes deal. Maybe Conks, a 2nd or 3rd rounder, & Miller to sweeten the pot. Given how much of a seller's market it is right now, I see smaller gamble moves like this on the horizon than Kenny making some huge deal.

Blues might be willing to take anything for Ben Bishop. He's a UFA (when I looked quick, could be wrong) who has spent more than his share of time in the minors (ala Jimmy). And with Halak/Elliott for another year, Bishop is likely going to want to out of the Blues and into an organization that needs someone like him. At 6-6, he can practically cover from post to post in the butterfly, and his shoulders are equal to the crossbar height when down. A huge body that makes it hard to score on.

He's been frustrating to the opponent every time I've seen him play against the Chicago Wolves. He definitely got better the longer he stayed in Peoria (just like Jimmy in GR).

Sorry but you are wrong.

Bishop was named recently the best goaltender not in the NHL by some periodical... I forget which.

They will not be giving him away for "anything." Halak, Elliot, or Bishop will be moved. Bishop is the likely candidate, but they will be looking for something of good value in return. I expect they will want a good prospect back. Plus, he is in division and has no playoff experience. The Wings won't be in on him.

Conklin should not play another NHL game. Regardless it is for the Wings or another team. What a waste of money ! We need a back up now , or all the hard work will go down the drain. Let's just hope that Howard gets healthy and stays healthy. Howard will need some night off approaching playoff time. Games are onley going to get harder and harder.

Please get us a backup goaltender !

Conklin should not play another NHL game. Regardless it is for the Wings or another team. What a waste of money ! We need a back up now , or all the hard work will go down the drain. Let's just hope that Howard gets healthy and stays healthy. Howard will need some night off approaching playoff time. Games are onley going to get harder and harder.

Please get us a backup goaltender !

They did. His name is Joey MacDonald. He had a .917 save percentage last season for the Wings. IMO the Wings would have to give up too much for a better backup.

JMac has allowed only two goals and stopped a handful of shoot out attempts. I trust in JMac as our backup. JHowwww will be back soon enough and all will be good in life.

Sorry but you are wrong.

Bishop was named recently the best goaltender not in the NHL by some periodical... I forget which.

They will not be giving him away for "anything." Halak, Elliot, or Bishop will be moved. Bishop is the likely candidate, but they will be looking for something of good value in return. I expect they will want a good prospect back. Plus, he is in division and has no playoff experience. The Wings won't be in on him.

Leino and Brunnstrom we're both named best X not playing in the NHL at one point or another.

i can't wait for Mrazek to come up and have the Howard/Mrazek combo. until then, the only deal that would make sense would be to offer up something to the islanders for Nabby. i can only imagine that if the wings don't get him at the deadline, he'll sign in the offseason anyways, so the isles may as well cut their losses.