• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Echolalia

What to do about goaltending

Rate this topic

Guest Crymson

JMac was fine last season and he will likely be fine this season. While save percentage is far from a great statistic, his was .917.

JMac had some good games last season to go along with some horrendous games. His marked inconsistency is a big reason why he's spent most of his career in the AHL.

JMac had some good games last season to go along with some horrendous games. His marked inconsistency is a big reason why he's spent most of his career in the AHL.

I agree. However, if he was consistent, he would be a starting NHL goalie. I wouldn't mind an improvement, but I don't think a markedly better backup can be had for late round picks or bad prospects. IMO the best chance of getting a better backup is in combination with a trade for another player.

i can't wait for Mrazek to come up and have the Howard/Mrazek combo. until then, the only deal that would make sense would be to offer up something to the islanders for Nabby. i can only imagine that if the wings don't get him at the deadline, he'll sign in the offseason anyways, so the isles may as well cut their losses.

Well you might have to wait a long time. Also there is no telling if Howard will be here when Mrazek is ready. Howard might command more money then we will give him.

Bring in Nabakov. End of thread.

This is a team that barring further injury and some slight tweaking should be in the midst for contending for the cup this spring. Even if Jimmy makes a speedy recovery nothing ensures that he doesnt get hurt again ... especially when its now more clear than ever that Detroit doesnt have an NHL calibre backup tender. Jimmy will be getting bumped, slashed, and snowed yet again this post season.

Is Nabby can provide a steady presence while Jimmy has a few nights off down the stretch and is able to compete if need be in the playoffs I think he could make a valuable tandem option while we wait for Mrazek to become the stud we all hope he is.

Nabby has essentially been the Islanders number one goalie this season. I don't know why posters think he will be easy to receive in a trade. He's played the most games of any Islanders goalie, and he has the best stats of Islanders goalies.

Why would the Islanders trade Nabby for spare parts?

Nabby has essentially been the Islanders number one goalie this season. I don't know why posters think he will be easy to receive in a trade. He's played the most games of any Islanders goalie, and he has the best stats of Islanders goalies.

Exactly.

Also, if it's between acquiring a top 6 forward or a backup goalie, Holland better go for the top 6 forward. MacDonald has never disappointed the Wings and would be more than a serviceable backup.

two words, Manny Legace! haha j/k

Seriously, we need to hang on to what we got, wait for Howard to recover, and see what happens. Not saying Holland doesn't need to be on the phone feeling out other options though.

Guest Crymson

I agree. However, if he was consistent, he would be a starting NHL goalie. I wouldn't mind an improvement, but I don't think a markedly better backup can be had for late round picks or bad prospects. IMO the best chance of getting a better backup is in combination with a trade for another player.

If he was consistent, he would be an NHL backup. But he's not consistent.

They're 100% sure to lose him after the season, so they may as well get something for him. Besides, it's not as if they're going to get any better. That said, I can't predict what their asking price will be.

If he was consistent, he would be an NHL backup. But he's not consistent.

They're 100% sure to lose him after the season, so they may as well get something for him. Besides, it's not as if they're going to get any better. That said, I can't predict what their asking price will be.

The Islanders need Nabby to have a chance at winning. They won't make the playoffs, but their goalie situation is terrible without him. Keeping him is their only chance to build confidence and finish strong going into next year. With the terrible offers posted here, the Islanders won't lose much by waiting and trading his rights after the season. It's possible he gets a starting offer for next session that he prefers to being a back up.

Assuming Nabby wouldn't re-sign with the Wings, what would you be willing to give up? It is possible he will be offered a starting position after the season with another team.

The Islanders need Nabby to have a chance at winning. They won't make the playoffs, but their goalie situation is terrible without him. Keeping him is their only chance to build confidence and finish strong going into next year. With the terrible offers posted here, the Islanders won't lose much by waiting and trading his rights after the season. It's possible he gets a starting offer for next session that he prefers to being a back up.

Assuming Nabby wouldn't re-sign with the Wings, what would you be willing to give up? It is possible he will be offered a starting position after the season with another team.

If the Islanders are hanging around the playoff picture, they won't trade Nabby. Think about it, why trade Nabby if you are on the cusp of making the playoffs? They will make more money if they make the playoffs than they would if they traded Nabby. Even if the Islanders traded him, they are going to want something for him. I wouldn't trade a top prospect for him, but based on his numbers this season so far, he could demand a 1st round pick. I think thats too steep for a backup goalie.

Joey Mac has played solid the last two games. I say keep giving him starts. Hell, if the Wings would score more than 1 goal, then they could win some games.

Not sure if this was posted elsewhere or not but lets hope it's wrong....

http://aol.sportingnews.com/nhl/story/2012-02-04/jimmy-howard-injury-jimmy-howard-finger-red-wings-ty-conklin

Also hopefully Joey Mac keeps up the solid play. Sure he hasn't been stellar but he's made some great saves and kept us in both games for the most part.

Edit: this is a link a friend just texted to me..

Edited by amato

If the Islanders are hanging around the playoff picture, they won't trade Nabby. Think about it, why trade Nabby if you are on the cusp of making the playoffs? They will make more money if they make the playoffs than they would if they traded Nabby. Even if the Islanders traded him, they are going to want something for him. I wouldn't trade a top prospect for him, but based on his numbers this season so far, he could demand a 1st round pick.

Nabokov just increased his value for the Islanders. He shut out Philly for a 1-0 win in a shootout. He made something like 45 saves.

If anyones counting Nabby just earned a shutout against the Flyers and made 45 saves in the game and won the shutout. The old boys still got it ... hopefully they start tanking now, because their still "sorta" competing for that 8th playoff spot.

If anyones counting Nabby just earned a shutout against the Flyers and made 45 saves in the game and won the shutout. The old boys still got it ... hopefully they start tanking now, because their still "sorta" competing for that 8th playoff spot.

Nabokov's stats are better than his career average...on one of the worst teams in the league. He's definitely still got it. If he were on a contender he wouldn't be so overlooked.

I doubt the Isles will trade Nabby. Good goalie at a bargain price, but not sure they could really get anything great in return. Maybe Chicago or Philly (lol) would pay something, but everyone else pretty much already has a solid starter and isn't going to deal much for a backup.

Harding seems like a good option. Pending UFA who will probably go looking for a starting job in the offseason, and Hackett is a pretty good looking prospect who could step into the backup role in Minnesota.

Nabby just drove up Snow’s asking price tonight.