• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
under_par_00

Jeff Carter

Rate this topic

What do you think of Jeff Carter? Lots of talk of the Blue Jackets looking to trade him. The only downside is the 10 year contract, but he is only 27, and $5mil might not be that much in 10 years. The BJs traded Voracek and a 1st that turned into Couturier. Holland could realistically trade for him.

I dunno, if you look at it in 5 year blocks then 5M/yr for the first 5 is good value for a 30-40 goal guy. He’d only be 33. The next 5 years would be dodgy but you’d probably get decent value for two or three of them. You’re really only talking about a bad cap hit for the final 2 or 3 years of his deal. And a lot can happen to a franchise in 7-8 years.

I’m more worried about his character coming into question than the contract, to be honest.

I'd definitely love to acquire him. It is a long contract but in a few years it will be great value and it already is if he even just stays a 30 goal scorer (and he could easily surpass that). The new CBA also has the potential to roll back salaries and cut long contracts down which minimizes the risk in that way as well. I see him as a prime target for the Leafs, haven't thought about him coming here but I like the idea.

I don't know that I have a reason to dislike the guy. But I do believe where there is smoke, there is fire. There was a lot of talk about issues in the Philadelphia dressing room with this guy, and Richards. Detroit doesn't need someone rocking the boat in the room. Plus the contract, is a lot to seriously consider. Personally I would pass. I like what we have. I think the pieces this team needs are smaller in nature then a large signing like Carter.

Guest Crymson

He had attitude issues in Philly, and he's had attitude issues in Columbus as well. I think that regardless of what we may feel about him, this is going to warn Holland away from trading him.

He had attitude issues in Philly, and he's had attitude issues in Columbus as well. I think that regardless of what we may feel about him, this is going to warn Holland away from trading him.

I agree. Character matters--especially when it's such a long-term, expensive contract.

Also, I don't think he's the type of player who'd play with enough heart in the playoffs.

I think all the people who hate Franzen around here would hate Carter pretty much just as much if not more.

As long a contract, for more money, for a guy that is just as streaky and haven't proven to be half as good in the playoffs as Franzen.

Pass.

I would pass. I really like the idea of getting a sniper for this team but Jeff Carter is very streaky and is rumoured to have attitude problems. I want someone that will come aboard and work at 110% every night. I think that this team needs to have some more players that have that work ethic. We have too many players that coast through parts of the season and I think Carter would just be another one. If we could find a Morrow type that would score 30-40 per sign me up!

I think he is someone who I can see Holland aquiring as he is a little easier to get for multiple reasons, but he`d already have a trade lined up for him to be shipped right out before Carter can even say Detroit.

Edited by 13dangledangle

Anybody who thinks that Carter would not be a great addition(and give Detroit that much-needed right-handed sniper)probably needs to watch another sport. Hockey is not your game. Character/Attitude problems? Well, I guess LA should of traded Kobe Bryant years ago? I will admit, I like players with good character, but I also like to win... and besides, the worse thing I heard about Carter is that he likes to chase teammate's wife's. If you have a faithful wife, you have nothing to worry about. Would I rather have a player like Bobby Ryan? Sure, but the price would be a lot steeper.

One bad apple don't spoil the whole bunch. Get 'er done, Kenny!

Im torn on this, I like Carter because he is from my hometown and I want to see him succeed in the NHL and I think he would be a great fit on the Wings. At the same time, the alleged off-ice stuff, contract length, and injuries kinda scare me off.

in the end, I would not be upset if Kenny made him a Red Wing.

It would probably take a 1st + one of Tatar/Nyqvist and a current roster player to get him here. Probably more since its in the same division/conference.

Anybody who thinks that Carter would not be a great addition(and give Detroit that much-needed right-handed sniper)probably needs to watch another sport. Hockey is not your game. Character/Attitude problems? Well, I guess LA should of traded Kobe Bryant years ago? I will admit, I like players with good character, but I also like to win... and besides, the worse thing I heard about Carter is that he likes to chase teammate's wife's. If you have a faithful wife, you have nothing to worry about. Would I rather have a player like Bobby Ryan? Sure, but the price would be a lot steeper.

If you've ever watched Carter and still think he'd be a great addition (especially considering the cost it would take) then you're the one who needs to watch another sport. This guy plays predominantly on the perimeter, never bears down when the going gets difficult, and quits on plays more often than not. He is extremely overrated.

People always are so pumped to trade for 'superstars' but if you look back on so many deals that have been made league wide for these supposed upper echelon type guys the team that receives the package almost always wins - provided there isn't some outside factor in trading the player (i.e Kovalchuk as a pending UFA that wasnt going to re-sign).

To me, Jeff Carter would be a mistake on so many levels it's not even funny

If you've ever watched Carter and still think he'd be a great addition (especially considering the cost it would take) then you're the one who needs to watch another sport. This guy plays predominantly on the perimeter, never bears down when the going gets difficult, and quits on plays more often than not. He is extremely overrated.

People always are so pumped to trade for 'superstars' but if you look back on so many deals that have been made league wide for these supposed upper echelon type guys the team that receives the package almost always wins - provided there isn't some outside factor in trading the player (i.e Kovalchuk as a pending UFA that wasnt going to re-sign).

To me, Jeff Carter would be a mistake on so many levels it's not even funny

I have seen him play, and numbers(and my eyes) don't lie - he's a pure goal scorer. Does he need to work on his attitude and his all-around game? Sure. But I remember a time when Yzerman didn't play defense, either.

He's a young guy; give him time. You're pretty quick to right off a guy, aren't you. Also, I'm not suggesting giving up a whole lot. Carter wants out of Columbus, so if they ask for too much, walk away. But for Holland to not at least test the water would be asinine.

He'd be a great addition if he didn't have that bloated contract and wasn't a raging douchenozzle.

I didn't know about the wife chasing or dressing room crap on Carter, but if it's true we don't need someone like that as a distraction going into the playoffs . Our guys need to concentrate on one thing, WINNING. Besides, our offence has the talent . I think Holland needs to find a decent back up goalie or bye bye cup run.

This X 10!

Character wins cups. I want no part of Jeff Carter

Bobby Ryan would NOT command a lot steeper price than Carter. Carter is 6.2 next year, Bobby Ryan is 5.5..Unless Bobby Ryan gets a hatty in the next 30 games, rest assured, Carter's pricetag is bigger. As the saying goes, One bad apple does spoil the bunch and Carter is a selffish prima donna who is not a team guy. Detroit does not subscribe to the bullshart that Carter brings.

Maybe YOU need to watch another sport!

Ive said before that i would welcome carter with open arms. The issues in philly he should have learned from and there arent any guys on the current roster that would be influenced by carter. Furthermore, the attitude in cb is rightfully so. Who would want to be pawned of to the worst team in the league? Especially after signing long term with that team expecting a nmc.

He fills a lot of our needs:

Size

Sniper

Rh center

Decent age

Think of the possibilities with datsyuk zetterberg and carter available at center for the top 2 lines. Thats a lot to handle in terms of matchups for opposing teams. If had for the right price we would be nuts to pass him up.

If Carter wants to seriously win then being in the Detroit locker room will surely be the cure for his cancers. How could it not with the class of the team and the ownership running it. Man I remember almost vomiting when I heard we picked up Chelios... I loathed Chelios, I still remember seeing the Windsor Star with Shanahan looking uncomfortably at Chelios in the locker room. We all know how that turned out and my hate for Chelios turned into love pretty quickly. So long as we don't have to sell our future I'd give Carter a shot. He's a big kid that can score goals and I'm sure he'd be happy to be playing 2 hours away from his home town for the Wings!

Guest Crymson

Anybody who thinks that Carter would not be a great addition(and give Detroit that much-needed right-handed sniper)probably needs to watch another sport. Hockey is not your game.

Are you here to discuss or to make categorical statements?

Character/Attitude problems? Well, I guess LA should of traded Kobe Bryant years ago?

The NBA and the NHL are vastly different leagues, and basketball and hockey are vastly different sports. Bad attitudes and prima-donnas are common in the NBA but are looked down upon in the NHL. As for Kobe Bryant, he's really not a good NBA counterpart to Jeff Carter. Given that Bryant is almost indisputably one of the best players in the NBA's history, you'd more likely be looking at Gretzky or Lemieux as a comparable player.

I will admit, I like players with good character, but I also like to win... and besides, the worse thing I heard about Carter is that he likes to chase teammate's wife's. If you have a faithful wife, you have nothing to worry about. Would I rather have a player like Bobby Ryan? Sure, but the price would be a lot steeper.

Goodness, gracious. Would you please consider trying to get on the Sharks` management team? You'd do a great job of running that locker room into the ground. Apparently you're hugely unaware of such very important factors as harmony in the locker room. Teammates who get along play well together. Teammates who detest each other do not play well together. One of the keys` to the Wings success over the past two decades has been keeping a harmonious locker room. Players with bad attitudes are not given a chance to play on the team; players who are lazy are traded. Players who have poor work ethics and who attempt to sleep with the spouses of their teammates are NOT given a chance.

Let's imagine a fun scenario: "Hey, everybody, this is Jeff Carter! We just traded for him. So you know, he's often lazy, sometimes has a poor work ethic, has been known to be irresponsible in his personal life, and might attempt to sleep with your spouse. Please welcome him to the team!"

Le sigh.

If Carter wants to seriously win then being in the Detroit locker room will surely be the cure for his cancers. How could it not with the class of the team and the ownership running it. Man I remember almost vomiting when I heard we picked up Chelios... I loathed Chelios, I still remember seeing the Windsor Star with Shanahan looking uncomfortably at Chelios in the locker room. We all know how that turned out and my hate for Chelios turned into love pretty quickly. So long as we don't have to sell our future I'd give Carter a shot. He's a big kid that can score goals and I'm sure he'd be happy to be playing 2 hours away from his home town for the Wings!

I still don't understand this "The Wings locker room will cure all attitude ailments!" thing. It's just not true, else the likes of Ville Leino and Sean Avery would not have been traded.

Players who have poor work ethics and who attempt to sleep with the spouses of their teammates are NOT given a chance.

So was it that Shanahan had a good work ethic or that he actually DID manage to sleep with the spouse of a teammate the reason for the Wings trading for him back in the day?

Have to doubt the "NOT given a chance" statement based on past history.

Edited by ogreslayer