• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

#21 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,697 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 01:44 PM

Ive said before that i would welcome carter with open arms. The issues in philly he should have learned from and there arent any guys on the current roster that would be influenced by carter. Furthermore, the attitude in cb is rightfully so. Who would want to be pawned of to the worst team in the league? Especially after signing long term with that team expecting a nmc.
He fills a lot of our needs:
Size
Sniper
Rh center
Decent age

Think of the possibilities with datsyuk zetterberg and carter available at center for the top 2 lines. Thats a lot to handle in terms of matchups for opposing teams. If had for the right price we would be nuts to pass him up.

Is there a kickstarter campaign for Jakub Kindl to never play another NHL game?

#22 The Secret

The Secret

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 02:27 PM

If Carter wants to seriously win then being in the Detroit locker room will surely be the cure for his cancers. How could it not with the class of the team and the ownership running it. Man I remember almost vomiting when I heard we picked up Chelios... I loathed Chelios, I still remember seeing the Windsor Star with Shanahan looking uncomfortably at Chelios in the locker room. We all know how that turned out and my hate for Chelios turned into love pretty quickly. So long as we don't have to sell our future I'd give Carter a shot. He's a big kid that can score goals and I'm sure he'd be happy to be playing 2 hours away from his home town for the Wings!

#23 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 02:55 PM

Anybody who thinks that Carter would not be a great addition(and give Detroit that much-needed right-handed sniper)probably needs to watch another sport. Hockey is not your game.

Are you here to discuss or to make categorical statements?

Character/Attitude problems? Well, I guess LA should of traded Kobe Bryant years ago?

The NBA and the NHL are vastly different leagues, and basketball and hockey are vastly different sports. Bad attitudes and prima-donnas are common in the NBA but are looked down upon in the NHL. As for Kobe Bryant, he's really not a good NBA counterpart to Jeff Carter. Given that Bryant is almost indisputably one of the best players in the NBA's history, you'd more likely be looking at Gretzky or Lemieux as a comparable player.

I will admit, I like players with good character, but I also like to win... and besides, the worse thing I heard about Carter is that he likes to chase teammate's wife's. If you have a faithful wife, you have nothing to worry about. Would I rather have a player like Bobby Ryan? Sure, but the price would be a lot steeper.

Goodness, gracious. Would you please consider trying to get on the Sharks` management team? You'd do a great job of running that locker room into the ground. Apparently you're hugely unaware of such very important factors as harmony in the locker room. Teammates who get along play well together. Teammates who detest each other do not play well together. One of the keys` to the Wings success over the past two decades has been keeping a harmonious locker room. Players with bad attitudes are not given a chance to play on the team; players who are lazy are traded. Players who have poor work ethics and who attempt to sleep with the spouses of their teammates are NOT given a chance.

Let's imagine a fun scenario: "Hey, everybody, this is Jeff Carter! We just traded for him. So you know, he's often lazy, sometimes has a poor work ethic, has been known to be irresponsible in his personal life, and might attempt to sleep with your spouse. Please welcome him to the team!"

One bad apple don't spoil the whole bunch. Get 'er done, Kenny!

Le sigh.

If Carter wants to seriously win then being in the Detroit locker room will surely be the cure for his cancers. How could it not with the class of the team and the ownership running it. Man I remember almost vomiting when I heard we picked up Chelios... I loathed Chelios, I still remember seeing the Windsor Star with Shanahan looking uncomfortably at Chelios in the locker room. We all know how that turned out and my hate for Chelios turned into love pretty quickly. So long as we don't have to sell our future I'd give Carter a shot. He's a big kid that can score goals and I'm sure he'd be happy to be playing 2 hours away from his home town for the Wings!

I still don't understand this "The Wings locker room will cure all attitude ailments!" thing. It's just not true, else the likes of Ville Leino and Sean Avery would not have been traded.

#24 Kindl Surprise

Kindl Surprise

Rookie

• Pip
  • 138 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 03:09 PM

I can just picture Carter and Huds painting the town red every night

#25 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,964 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 03:49 PM

Players who have poor work ethics and who attempt to sleep with the spouses of their teammates are NOT given a chance.

So was it that Shanahan had a good work ethic or that he actually DID manage to sleep with the spouse of a teammate the reason for the Wings trading for him back in the day?

Have to doubt the "NOT given a chance" statement based on past history.

Edited by ogreslayer, 08 February 2012 - 03:53 PM.

#26 The Secret

The Secret

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 04:30 PM

I still don't understand this "The Wings locker room will cure all attitude ailments!" thing. It's just not true, else the likes of Ville Leino and Sean Avery would not have been traded.

It's not as sure a thing as say cutting off an arm or removing a lung but when you are surrounded by what Detroit has to offer I think a person would absorb that and be like his peers. Unless he is stupid and therefore a terminal cancer type like Sean Avery then there is no cure! Leino was a bad example, it was his s***ty play and unwillingness to do what was needed of him that got him traded.

#27 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,617 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 04:56 PM

...players who are lazy are traded. Players who have poor work ethics...

So Franzen WILL be traded in a couple of weeks! AWESOME!!

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Aww You Mad Bro? Are You Butt Hurt?

#28 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 05:16 PM

So Franzen WILL be traded in a couple of weeks! AWESOME!!

Have you heard even the merest whispers from anywhere that anyone within the organization is dissatisfied with Franzen's level of effort? Sure, he plays harder in the playoffs than in the regular season, but that isn't uncommon by any stretch of the imagination.

It's not as sure a thing as say cutting off an arm or removing a lung but when you are surrounded by what Detroit has to offer I think a person would absorb that and be like his peers. Unless he is stupid and therefore a terminal cancer type like Sean Avery then there is no cure! Leino was a bad example, it was his s***ty play and unwillingness to do what was needed of him that got him traded.

Leino was traded because of his poor attitude and laziness, more or less. Anyway, you're giving the average player too much credit here. And this would be a fairly big risk to take, given that Carter would become untradeable without his consent the second next season begins.

#29 Hairy Lime

Hairy Lime

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 05:29 PM

Are you here to discuss or to make categorical statements?

The NBA and the NHL are vastly different leagues, and basketball and hockey are vastly different sports. Bad attitudes and prima-donnas are common in the NBA but are looked down upon in the NHL. As for Kobe Bryant, he's really not a good NBA counterpart to Jeff Carter. Given that Bryant is almost indisputably one of the best players in the NBA's history, you'd more likely be looking at Gretzky or Lemieux as a comparable player.

Goodness, gracious. Would you please consider trying to get on the Sharks` management team? You'd do a great job of running that locker room into the ground. Apparently you're hugely unaware of such very important factors as harmony in the locker room. Teammates who get along play well together. Teammates who detest each other do not play well together. One of the keys` to the Wings success over the past two decades has been keeping a harmonious locker room. Players with bad attitudes are not given a chance to play on the team; players who are lazy are traded. Players who have poor work ethics and who attempt to sleep with the spouses of their teammates are NOT given a chance.

Let's imagine a fun scenario: "Hey, everybody, this is Jeff Carter! We just traded for him. So you know, he's often lazy, sometimes has a poor work ethic, has been known to be irresponsible in his personal life, and might attempt to sleep with your spouse. Please welcome him to the team!"

Le sigh.

Do you really think everyone in the Red Wings locker-room got along? You, and many other prudish Wings fans, have been spoiled by having guys like Yzerman, Lidstrom and Dastyuk around all these years, and think that every hockey player must follow their example. Give me a break. As I said, one bad apple don't spoil the whole bunch, and Carter is not Heatley.

Edited by haroldsnepsts, 09 February 2012 - 12:08 AM.
to clean up the crap and keep on topic

#30 Hairy Lime

Hairy Lime

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 05:44 PM

Bobby Ryan would NOT command a lot steeper price than Carter. Carter is 6.2 next year, Bobby Ryan is 5.5..Unless Bobby Ryan gets a hatty in the next 30 games, rest assured, Carter's pricetag is bigger. As the saying goes, One bad apple does spoil the bunch and Carter is a selffish prima donna who is not a team guy. Detroit does not subscribe to the bullshart that Carter brings.
Maybe YOU need to watch another sport!

I'm taking about what Detroit would have to give up, not salary. I bet you hated the idea of bringing in Chelios, Drake and Berttuzzi, too, huh? I'm not sure that they fit the "squeaky clean" image that Detroit seems to demand??? Goodness gracious, I didn't know that the Red Wings were trying to adhere to the morals of the church of latter day saints, I thought they were in the business of winning cups? I guess adding a 40 goal scorer would not help that cause, since he's a "bad apple'.

Carter would fit in just fine, as you will see when Holland trades for him. Wait and see.

#31 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 07:33 PM

Ive said before that i would welcome carter with open arms. The issues in philly he should have learned from and there arent any guys on the current roster that would be influenced by carter. Furthermore, the attitude in cb is rightfully so. Who would want to be pawned of to the worst team in the league? Especially after signing long term with that team expecting a nmc.

No, that attitude is inexcusable. If a team is paying you, you should be trying your best. You should not sit down and whine because the team is not good. To do so would be immensely immature and enormously unprofessional.

Think of the possibilities with datsyuk zetterberg and carter available at center for the top 2 lines. Thats a lot to handle in terms of matchups for opposing teams. If had for the right price we would be nuts to pass him up.

I don't think we need another perimeter player.

#32 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,697 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 07:50 PM

No, that attitude is inexcusable. If a team is paying you, you should be trying your best. You should not sit down and whine because the team is not good. To do so would be immensely immature and enormously unprofessional.

I don't think we need another perimeter player.

ya thats cute and all to think that it doesn't matter what team you play for as long as they are paying you. if your heart isn't there and you aren't having fun - for whatever reason - you aren't going to play your best. he can't help the fact that he has a s***ty team around him, I'm sure he's not intentionally playing bad and getting injured. its just a matter of not having the right guys around you, he can't light it up on his own. how do you know carter isn't "trying his best?" Not playing your best doesn't mean you aren't trying your best - look at Z this year. and ya, that contract he signed WITH a NTC was intended for philly, so I can see how he could be pissed that he is now playing it out (practically stuck and untradeable) in one of the worst teams in the league. go from cup contender and finalist a couple years ago to bottom feeder. he wanted a future with philly and would have never signed a contract like that for cbj.

#33 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 08:19 PM

ya thats cute and all to think that it doesn't matter what team you play for as long as they are paying you. if your heart isn't there and you aren't having fun - for whatever reason - you aren't going to play your best.

If you aren't trying to play your best regardless, then there's something wrong. Mature, professional players will be team players. Immature, unprofessional players will sulk when their team is not playing well rather than trying to do what they can to turn it around.

he can't help the fact that he has a s***ty team around him, I'm sure he's not intentionally playing bad and getting injured. its just a matter of not having the right guys around you, he can't light it up on his own. how do you know carter isn't "trying his best?" Not playing your best doesn't mean you aren't trying your best - look at Z this year. and ya, that contract he signed WITH a NTC was intended for philly, so I can see how he could be pissed that he is now playing it out (practically stuck and untradeable) in one of the worst teams in the league. go from cup contender and finalist a couple years ago to bottom feeder. he wanted a future with philly and would have never signed a contract like that for cbj.

I disagree with your assertion that playing to less than maximum effort or having a poor attitude is acceptable.

#34 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,697 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 08:30 PM

If you aren't trying to play your best regardless, then there's something wrong. Mature, professional players will be team players. Immature, unprofessional players will sulk when their team is not playing well rather than trying to do what they can to turn it around.

I disagree with your assertion that playing to less than maximum effort or having a poor attitude is acceptable.

my statement was that how are you to know that he isn't trying to play his best? have you talked to him? obviously he hasn't performed as well as he did in philly but is this as a result of his "effort" or the team around him? we cannot know.

#35 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 08:39 PM

my statement was that how are you to know that he isn't trying to play his best? have you talked to him? obviously he hasn't performed as well as he did in philly but is this as a result of his "effort" or the team around him? we cannot know.

It was your own hypothesis that he's deliberately slacking off because his team sucks.

#36 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,728 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 09:23 PM

He's been hurt a lot and he sleeps with other players' wives.

Probably not a good idea for us.
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#37 Detroit # 1 Fan

Detroit # 1 Fan

Truculence.

• HoF Booster
  • 19,040 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 09:30 PM

He's been hurt a lot and he sleeps with other players' wives.

Probably not a good idea for us.

He'd get along great with Hudler though, that's a plus :hehe:

#NOMOREKINDL

#38 brett

brett

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,974 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 09:32 PM

pros

good shot
i think he plays pk if i remember correctly

cons

injury prone
bad attitude
big contract

id probably pass but wouldnt be mad if we somehow picked him up for the right price. like hudler and a draft pick

Edited by brett, 08 February 2012 - 10:14 PM.

#39 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,697 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 10:12 PM

It was your own hypothesis that he's deliberately slacking off because his team sucks.

it wasn't a hypothesis - it was judgement that IF he was slacking off i could see why.

#40 Motown4013

Motown4013

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,067 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 10:31 PM

I'm taking about what Detroit would have to give up, not salary. I bet you hated the idea of bringing in Chelios, Drake and Berttuzzi, too, huh? I'm not sure that they fit the "squeaky clean" image that Detroit seems to demand??? Goodness gracious, I didn't know that the Red Wings were trying to adhere to the morals of the church of latter day saints, I thought they were in the business of winning cups? I guess adding a 40 goal scorer would not help that cause, since he's a "bad apple'.

Carter would fit in just fine, as you will see when Holland trades for him. Wait and see.

You make no sense here...if Carter is "worth" more....we would have to package more to get him, right??? We learned that in grade two...stay with me.
As for your assumption about me and my love for frat boy, cooler drinking softies, ummmm NO. I love the bad boys to be honest...huge Bert fan, loved Drake ect. Stop making these ridiculous personal judgements about anyone that doesnt agree with you.
Good ness gracious.
A 40 goal scorer would help. Of course one would- but not at the risk of the team. Carter is not a team guy and the INSTANT you have to say in your arguement that he has a history of boning other guys wives, well get the ^$# outta here. Nash is a character guy...even Ryan, but *** Carter. It will NEVER HAPPEN and if you were a Wings fan and had some idea about the history of this franchise, you'd know that.
Raising another Red Wings Fan!

The future looks bright in Hockeytown!
GUSTAV SNIPEQUIST!