• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

#61 kylee

kylee

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,462 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 08:24 PM

Ya, actually, I do. it didn't take a zetterberg or datsyuk for cbj to get him in the first place and his value has declined since then. also consider the contract that he is on and the difficulty that is involved in moving it. Realistically CBJ want some help on defence and a top 6 forward + our first rounder or a good prospect. if they wanted z or dats they would have to be adding big time. i think we have the pieces to get it done without blowing up our core. they will take the best deal available at this point (disregarding conference) considering they need to rebuild and are trying to get their max value back and minimize losses. but heck, thats just my opinion.

Fair enough, granted if its true that Columbus really does want/have to trade Carter. But how has his value declined in 4 months of hockey?

#62 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 08:46 PM

The NTC no longer exists in his contract. it was nullified when philly traded him before it kicked in.

The NTC activates at the start of the 2012-2013 season.

#63 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,799 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 11:38 PM

The NTC activates at the start of the 2012-2013 season.

did you get that off cap geek? this was discussed at length on hfboards and even on tv and apparently the NTC is nullified. so ya, not as bad as you think.

http://www.lfpress.c...4/19339976.html

Edited by dirtydangles, 09 February 2012 - 11:39 PM.

Is there a kickstarter campaign for Jakub Kindl to never play another NHL game?

#64 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 11:43 PM

did you get that off cap geek? this was discussed at length on hfboards and even on tv and apparently the NTC is nullified. so ya, not as bad as you think.

http://www.lfpress.c...4/19339976.html

I stand corrected, then.

#65 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,799 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 11:46 PM

I stand corrected, then.

ya no biggie, common mistake that wasn't made clear. P.S. contrary to popular belief, i do know my s***. lol

#66 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 02:00 AM

I still would not like Carter. I maintain that he would be a poor fit for the locker room. More, he will be difficult to trade if he does not pan out for two teams in a row.

#67 Nevermind

Nevermind

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 03:18 AM

I still would not like Carter. I maintain that he would be a poor fit for the locker room. More, he will be difficult to trade if he does not pan out for two teams in a row.

Worse. Three teams in a row. ;)

I have to say again...Carter's not the type of player who would play with much grit or heart in the playoffs. Despite his immense talent, he's prone to taking nights off and becoming invisible when the game gets tougher.

At least Franzen shows up in the playoffs and doesn't have attitude problems.

#68 jthiel86

jthiel86

Rookie

• Pip
  • 106 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 04:01 AM

I'm not sure who I'd be willing to part with for Carter. It'd have to be a heck of a deal for Holland to justify it I think.

#69 Hairy Lime

Hairy Lime

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 10:36 AM

The only thing I disagree with you here in this post is that you saying " Carter can only make his team better" WE don't ow that....I am sure Columbus painted that picture with a broad stoke as well that they now regret so Ik disagree......BUT I agree we could use a pure goal scorer. I can certainly think of names who I would LOVE to have who bring what Carter "may" bring.
Agree to disagree....but entertaining banter!

Yeah, when a team trades an elite player, it's fair to question why. And then when the team he was traded to wants to trade him halfway through the season, red flags go up. But the only thing that gives me hope for him is that in Philli, as I said, he was in an unhealthy environment. And with Columbus, he just never wanted to go there, and you see that with a lot of high-profile athletes when they are traded to a losing organization, so I almost give him a pass on that. Is he immature? No question about it. Can people question his work ethic? Maybe, but I hear differing opinions from Flyers fans. Some thought he he played too passively, and didn't back-check hard enough, while others hated to see him go, and thought he was growing as an all-around player, so It's hard to tell.

But I see so much potential in this kid, and see him really helping Detroit win, that it's hard for me to dwell on the bad stuff if there was a way to bring him in to the fold.

But I don't think you have anything to worry about, because I honestly don't expect Ken Holland to do anything significant at the deadline. I would welcome Carter with open arms, maybe only one of the few Red Wings fans that would, but It's probably not going to happen. But right-handed shot like his certainly would help. We'll see what, if anything, Holland does. It will be interesting.

Edited by Hairy Lime, 10 February 2012 - 10:38 AM.

#70 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,990 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 10:55 AM

But I don't think you have anything to worry about, because I honestly don't expect Ken Holland to do anything significant at the deadline. I would welcome Carter with open arms, maybe only one of the few Red Wings fans that would, but It's probably not going to happen. But right-handed shot like his certainly would help. We'll see what, if anything, Holland does. It will be interesting.

Agreed. I think the price to make a big splash will be way too high. Unless C'bus wants to get rid of Carter for twenty cents on the dollar, I don't see it happening. Regardless, if there's a locker room that can teach Carter how to mature & become a true professional NHLer, it's Detroit's.

#71 Drake_Marcus

Drake_Marcus

Pariah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,336 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 05:09 PM

There's a reason why Carter's still in Columbus and not rumoured to be on a specific team's radar. At the moment his baggage (personal and financial) far outweighs the benefits of his on-ice play.
Dedicated to lulz once lost:
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

"We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas
of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage" --H.P. Lovecraft

#72 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

This is how I watch Wings games

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 05:12 PM

He's the best in the NHL at kicking strange girls out of his bed.

#73 Hairy Lime

Hairy Lime

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 05:48 PM

Here's an interesting take from Travis Yost of HockeyBuzz,com:

Reading responses from both Bill Meltzer and Richard Cloutier has me sitting squarely on the fence. The issue here is that, no matter what way you look at Carter, a fine line has been drawn. On one side, you have a mercurial talent with an injury history and contract that's locked-in until 2022(!). Further, moving a player like Jeff Carter - a guy who can play the 1LC in this NHL - puts Columbus back to square one; that is, looking for a pivot for talented winger Rick Nash.On the other side, this Columbus team looks hopeless. I can say that with confidence, as I pretty much tore the moves made by this front office to shreds here on HockeyBuzz over the summer. Square pegs, round holes. Moving Carter would get rid of an egregious contract, and hopefully bring in talented pieces to build around. Cutting losses, moving on.<The first question you have to ask: Is there a contender in the National Hockey League that would roll the dice on Jeff Carter? Resoundingly, yes. First, these teams have to smell blood in the water. They're going to get Carter at a discount to what Columbus gave up, and speaking strictly in terms of value, that's a good buy. Second, there's seemingly a number of playoff contenders that are just one piece away from looking Stanley Cup caliber. Here, I present the Detroit Red Wings - a franchise that's long prided itself on making the right moves at the right time. Detroit's one of the best in the NHL right now, but bringing in Jeff Carter would have to put them neck-and-neck with the likes of Vancouver in the West. And, just imagine Carter drawing into Detroit's top-six. In my opinion, the lines look something like this:

Todd Bertuzzi - Pavel Datsyuk - Johan Franzen
Valtteri Filppula - Jeff Carter - Henrik Zetterberg

Is there a better top-six in the National Hockey League? Uh, doubtful. Bringing in Jeff Carter could jump-start the talented Henrik Zetterberg on L2, who has really slowed as of late. And, I think Filppula has more than proven his worth to this team, forming a slid trio behind the venerable Datsyuk L1.<The best part about Jeff Carter? He's flexible. Detroit's in need of a right-handed shot, too, and Carter could theoretically jump into one of the two RW spots if need be. The Red Wings - in this deal - can kiss their first-round pick goodbye. Also heading in the other direction? At least one top prospect. In Detroit's ranks, my guess is Columbus would require at least one of Brendan Smith, Tomas Tatar, Gustav Nyquist, Tomas Jurco, or Teemu Pulkkinen in exchange.Would Detroit make this deal? Hard to say. But, I do think it'd solidify them as a Stanley Cup contender, and with enough cap room to take on Jeff Carter's contract without 'selling' off a piece(+$5.38M), it's one they very well could consider.The biggest hurdle here? The fact that the two play in the same division. Perhaps Detroit would have to sweeten the pot a bit.

Again, I think he's worth the risk, but I also realize that I am in the minority.

Edited by Hairy Lime, 10 February 2012 - 06:01 PM.

#74 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,799 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 06:00 PM

Totally agree with the above post. It makes sense and with lids almost done it would really improve our chances this year. That post sums up exactly how i feel and more

#75 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,990 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 06:32 PM

Totally agree with the above post. It makes sense and with lids almost done it would really improve our chances this year. That post sums up exactly how i feel and more

And this move could have the added benefit, as stated in the article, of moving Hank out to the wing. One of the reasons Fil is having his best year ever, imo, is due to the fact that he's pretty much played wing exclusively & doesn't have the defensive responsibilities that go with playing center. Bringing Carter in to play center (well, anyone really) at times to take the pressure off of Hank would be a godsend as far as I'm concerned.

Edited by ogreslayer, 10 February 2012 - 06:32 PM.

#76 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,799 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 06:38 PM

^ exactly. And ive heard many people say that carter is more effective at center for some reason too so it would make sense to move z back to wing.