44 replies to this topic

#21 sleepwalker

sleepwalker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 11:56 AM

Revenge?

Marian Hossa, for choking us out of 2 cups in a row.

No s***.

While I will be the first to admit that shady reffing played a significant part in the 09 loss, one cannot forget the fact that Hossa played an equal part in the loss after falling into an apparant coma on us in the playoffs following his fantastic regular season that year.

#22 jroc86

jroc86

Rookie

• Pip
  • 187 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 11:59 AM

San Jose, Pittsburgh, and Colorado (just for nostalgic purposes).

The way the West is shaping up this year its imperative that we win the central and come 1 or 2 in the conference.

This would likely set up the following first round matchups:

Detroit (1)
Colorado/Minnesota (8)

Vancouver (2)
LA (7)

San Jose (3)
Chicago (6)

St Louis (4)
Nashville (5)

It would really be nice to exercise the demon that in San Jose this year enroute to the cup. If the series starts and finishes at JLA I think this series could look completely different from the last 2 years in a hurry. Not to mention San Jose/Chicago and St Louis/Nashville would both end up being drawn out dogfights likely ending up with a few injuries on both emerging victors.

#23 Superman54

Superman54

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,760 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 12:36 PM

I don't hate Crosby like many on here seem to (Its a game... and he's possibly the best at it right now, why hate) but beating the Penguins 2 outta 3 would be a great feeling! Something about beating the Leafs would feel special too.

#24 unsaddleddonald

unsaddleddonald

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 748 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 01:22 PM

PITTSBURGH!

I was in disbelief until the next year's playoffs.

Crosby was SHUT DOWN the entire series!

Malkin really only showed up in games 3 and 4.

Pav didn't play until game 5.

Kronner with a post with 3 min left in a 2-1 game 7.

Max Talbot?! Jesus christ......

Not enough Mule, NO HOSS.

pure heartbreak.....

Edited by unsaddleddonald, 08 February 2012 - 01:25 PM.

#25 mwagner468

mwagner468

Top Prospect

• Gold Booster
  • 55 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 01:36 PM

Let me explain my reason for saying we were cheated in 09. I am not just a slappy that can't admit when another team is better. I am too lazy to go back and tell you what games this happened so I will just point out the facts. Malkin gets an instigator penalty in the last 5 minutes of game 2? Should have been by the rules automatic one game suspension. Was it? Hell no!!!! At least the NBA holds to its rules of If you leave the bench during a fight automatic suspension. It seems as if Bettman's rules only apply if it will help the team he wants to win.

Pittsburg with an extra man on the ice for a full minute. ( I forgot which game this was) was it called no!!!!

Finally if you remember Detroit wrapped up their wcf series early and the Stanley cup finals were slated to start a week later per the Nhl schedule. However, Bettman knowing the Wings were banged up, started the series a WEEK before they were slated to start.

What happened eventually? yes the Wings ran out of gas. I really fkn hate Bettman.

#26 stinky fish taco

stinky fish taco

FEED ME NEGS

• Restricted
  • PipPipPip
  • 668 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 01:58 PM

Let me explain my reason for saying we were cheated in 09. I am not just a slappy that can't admit when another team is better. I am too lazy to go back and tell you what games this happened so I will just point out the facts. Malkin gets an instigator penalty in the last 5 minutes of game 2? Should have been by the rules automatic one game suspension. Was it? Hell no!!!! At least the NBA holds to its rules of If you leave the bench during a fight automatic suspension. It seems as if Bettman's rules only apply if it will help the team he wants to win.

Pittsburg with an extra man on the ice for a full minute. ( I forgot which game this was) was it called no!!!!

Finally if you remember Detroit wrapped up their wcf series early and the Stanley cup finals were slated to start a week later per the Nhl schedule. However, Bettman knowing the Wings were banged up, started the series a WEEK before they were slated to start.

What happened eventually? yes the Wings ran out of gas. I really fkn hate Bettman.

they didn't deserve to win the series. those are just excuses.

Helm is a perennial Selke candidate

LOL

#27 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,039 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 02:33 PM

First one that comes to mind is SJ because until we beat them in a series, I won't be satisfied. It's like when Chicago won in 2010, I didn't really care because they didn't go through the Wings to do it. Sure they won it, but they didn't beat the best on the way. Of course, I want that tie breaker against the Pens, but I also don't want the Pens to ever win another game, much less make the SCF. And for the record, it was Staal's SH goal (game 3?) that changed that series. If Pasha's foot wasn't broken we would have won that series too, hands down. I'm glad he played game 5, it was my first Wings game, and one hell of a game to boot. Don't forget Zetterberg hit the crossbar with a few minutes left in game 7 too. Okay, now I'm done reliving that nightmare.

Kronwalled.net - Keep Yer Head up Kid

MONEY ON THE BOARD: $10/Kronwalling (1), $1/goal by: Nyquist, Tatar, Jurco, Sheahan, disney.com (1), Andersson, Dekeyser, Pulkinnen, Ouellet, or Sproul.  2X MULTIPLIER: disney.com.  CONSOLATION PRIZE: $5/goal by: Datsyuk (3), $3/goal by: Z (1). MOTB TOTAL: $30

#28 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,948 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 02:47 PM

So the Wings were robbed because they needed one of the Pens best players to be suspended for them to win? Or because they had to play the series early just like the Pens did?

I think it was game 1 in 09 Osgood had a puck sitting on his back that was covered in the crease by zetterberg and the Wings got away with it. If the Pens score on the penalty shot they should've been awarded, they're back in that game. Maybe they take game 1 and the series goes a whole different way. Who knows though because that's the breaks. It's not fair to cherrypick the few breaks the Pens got, as if those were the only significant tipping points in the series.

There's breaks and bounces in all series. Short of what happened to Buffalo in 99, no call really determines a series.

When the Wings won the Cup in 08 they were fortunate enough to stay healthy throughout the playoffs. I think that's the year they played the Avs who were decimated by injuries. That's just how the game goes.

It was a heartbreaking loss for sure. But the Wings weren't robbed. They got beat by a healthier younger team who had learned from losing in the Finals the year before.

#29 h2obury

h2obury

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 75 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 02:51 PM

I would want to beat the Pens for revenge just thinking about that 09 defeat still stings.
"All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~Gordie Howe

#30 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,289 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 02:52 PM

I'll never get the bitter taste from 2009 out of my mouth. That was a nightmare.

I would love to see Crosby back in June for a rematch and a beatdown.

"To whom much is given, much is expected."

#31 ToMaToToWnWinGsFaN_24

ToMaToToWnWinGsFaN_24

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,033 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 06:02 PM

revenge against teams in this years playofss would be sweet

Round 1 - beat the kings 4 games to 2 like they did to them in 2001
Round 2 - beat the flames 4 games to 2 like they did to them in 2004
Round 3 - beat the sharks 4 games to 1 like they did to them in 2010
Stanley cup final - either beat the Pens in 7 or sweep the Devils :)

#32 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

This is how I watch Wings games

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 06:07 PM

Haha. I don't know if life works out that way unless you just constantly adopt an aura of vengefulness like Michael Jordan.

#33 Detroit # 1 Fan

Detroit # 1 Fan

Truculence.

• HoF Booster
  • 19,045 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 06:33 PM

Rubber match against Pittsburgh would be glorious. Dominate those bastards for 4 games and have the refs hand them one at home so we can hoist the thing on home ice the way we should've in 09 :thumbup:

#NOMOREKINDL

#34 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,759 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 09:21 PM

I want revenge against Montreal for the '66 Finals.

:ranting:

We got our revenge against the Flames in 2007.
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#35 irishock

irishock

Into the sunset

• Silver Booster
  • 1,837 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 10:37 PM

San Jose, Pittsburgh, and Colorado (just for nostalgic purposes).

The way the West is shaping up this year its imperative that we win the central and come 1 or 2 in the conference.

This would likely set up the following first round matchups:

Detroit (1)
Colorado/Minnesota (8)

Vancouver (2)
LA (7)

San Jose (3)
Chicago (6)

St Louis (4)
Nashville (5)

It would really be nice to exercise the demon that in San Jose this year enroute to the cup. If the series starts and finishes at JLA I think this series could look completely different from the last 2 years in a hurry. Not to mention San Jose/Chicago and St Louis/Nashville would both end up being drawn out dogfights likely ending up with a few injuries on both emerging victors.

I'd guarantee you Chicago beats San Jose. They always own the Sharks and same with the Canucks.

bringit.jpg

#36 Kira

Kira

"I hope you're not from KGB"

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 12:10 AM

I can totally understand y'all wanting to get back at Pittsburgh. After we take care of San Jose, that would be a good one to get revenge on...he who shall not be named (who makes my dog growl profusely, by the way) deserves to be taken down a few pegs on the ego scale.
Posted Image

#37 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,644 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 12:15 AM

Ducks

2007 series was the most nail-biting, wild range of emotions and down right angering series the Wings have had in a long time. Never has a series had so much controversy, so many strange and unimaginable circumstances. The chippy-ness and unlucky/lucky bounces on top of some very questionable calls took years off of many Wings fans' lives (maybe some Ducks fans too). After that series ended you almost felt like kicking a puppy :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvOO0snnQOY

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#38 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

This is how I watch Wings games

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 01:08 AM

I can understand wanting to get back at Pittsburgh. At the same time, I feel like the Wings don't really have anything to prove against the Pens. My perception was that the Wings were still regarded as the better team among many viewers after both years.

The biggest itch for me right now is San Jose.

And I still wish the Wings could just steamroll Anaheim a couple times in the playoffs to heal some old wounds but you'd have to get Pronger, Kunitz and them back on the team.

#39 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,063 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 01:32 AM

I don't want the Wings to get revenge on anyone, I want them to win the Cup for its own sake.
"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#40 BigWillieStyle

BigWillieStyle

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 07:54 AM

I used to think the Ducks but that series with a late go ahead goal in game 7 on a so-called controversial play with Cleary pushing it in through Hiller's pad (or was it Hiller then, whatever) was satisfactory. And winning the Cup the next year kind of made that BS series less of an issue.

That Cleary goal was from 2009. 2007, was the year of the injured defensemen.