• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#41 BigWillieStyle

BigWillieStyle

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 08:07 AM

I want revenge against Montreal for the '66 Finals.

:ranting:

You may laugh at that, but I was 10 years old at the time. You don't have any idea how long the next 29 years was, just to get back to the finals, only to be swept. I actually cried, I was that bummed out. When we won in 97, I was so overjoyed, I nearly drank myself to death celebrating that evening. And I was a seasoned pro at the time. There was like a 5 day hangover after that. All of that damn champagne.

#42 HOCKEY MATTERS

HOCKEY MATTERS

Nearly invisible now........you smell that?

• HoF Booster
  • 2,401 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 08:18 AM

Sharks - should be #1 on everyone's list IMO, they have literally had the Wings' number the most recent playoffs.
Blackhawks - Hate 'em. Still biggest natural rival. Would love nothing more than to crush them in a playoff series.
Penguins - I almost literally need to immediately start consuming alcohol every time I even catch a glimpse of Crosby raising Lord Stanley at the Joe. Most gut wrenching heartbreak loss, but not as big as a rival because they are in the other conference.

I still have not seen that. I hope I never do.
half the world is nuts...and the other half is crazy
"You can't chew yesterdays' breakfast." Jim Leyland
Drawing on my fine command of language, I said nothing.

Alternative to Google tracking you.... http://duckduckgo.com/

#43 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,508 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 12:17 PM

We were cheated out of 09 so I don't count that as a loss.

With "too many men on the ice" called against the Wings last night (IMHO a very weak call) made me think about how the Pens had 6 men out there for 30 seconds back in 2009.

Gotta love the playoffs.

You may laugh at that, but I was 10 years old at the time. You don't have any idea how long the next 29 years was, just to get back to the finals, only to be swept. I actually cried, I was that bummed out. When we won in 97, I was so overjoyed, I nearly drank myself to death celebrating that evening. And I was a seasoned pro at the time. There was like a 5 day hangover after that. All of that damn champagne.

While I wasn't born until 1970 - I had been a Red Wings fan since 1984, and yes I too was bummed out of the sweep in 1995.

1997 was just pure awesome - just wished I had some friends to celebrate with; for all I know I might've been the only Wings fan in the greater Milwaukee area back then :lol:

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#44 SouthernWingsFan

SouthernWingsFan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 24,609 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 08:30 PM

Which Nhl team would you most want the Redwings to get revenge on for a earlier series defeat?

I would love for the Wings to sweep the devils in the finals for payback from 1995.

Probably Pittsburgh because it is more recent (and more primarily that in the recent past they have often been shoved down our throats constantly when we don't ask or need to hear about them as opposed to us playing them in the Finals two years in a row).

If you go by they beat us the last time, I perfect get that and obviously and probably the top reason, but I don't like getting into heated/hate rivalries all that much. While the loss sucks (and I'm sure Pitt fans felt the same way the year before), it has more with my favorite team losing than the other team winning.

Since we are talking about other teams with rivalries, San Jose perhaps, but I don't really think about them much one way or the other.

And in terms of other rivalries we had in general (not so much talking in terms of revenge), the Avalanche rivalry is all but done now with all the names from the late 90s/early 00s passing. St Louis and Chicago I always enjoy beating, but moreso because we beat the team in the same division, not really because of fans or sticking it to anybody or things like that. I don't get into the rivalries as much partially because I'm not from the areas and probably don't experience either sets of fans.

Edited by SouthernWingsFan, 09 February 2012 - 08:51 PM.

#45 T-Ruff

T-Ruff

BAMF

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,726 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 11:11 PM

That Cleary goal was from 2009. 2007, was the year of the injured defensemen.

I know, I was saying Cleary getting that goal on them in 2009 to end the 7 game series was satisfactory revenge as far as the Ducks are concerned