• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
newfy

What the F has gotten into these wings?

Rate this topic

Here's an interesting stat. This year the Wings are 9-1-1 in games where there is a fighting major. I wonder if it fires the boys up when one of their teamates drops the mitts regardless of they win or lose.

Not in all those games I'm sure but Abdelkader definitely woke them up earlier in the season when he pumped Lapierre and last night with Edmonton they turned on right after.

I'm not going to say its the only cause but where theres smoke theres usually fire

Commodore really getting a lot of love for some average fights.

Kindl played really well the past 2 games, where's the thread about that?

We don't want Kindl, we want Barabbas.............I mean Commodore.

:yowza:

Here's an interesting stat. This year the Wings are 9-1-1 in games where there is a fighting major. I wonder if it fires the boys up when one of their teamates drops the mitts regardless of they win or lose.

Well, it's proven. Fighting correlates with winning.

Anyone who says otherwise is anti-enforcer big time.

Edited by GMRwings1983

And what would be even better is if they actually won a few of them. But at least they're trying.

I miss Kocur.

We won both our fights against Vancouver.

I personally think our best fighter is actually non other than Jonathan Ericsson and I think Ben Eager knew it too. Ericsson could easily be a LHW if he got a bit meaner every now and then.

Wonder if all the extra passion will keep up after the trade deadline has passed...

We won both our fights against Vancouver.

I personally think our best fighter is actually non other than Jonathan Ericsson and I think Ben Eager knew it too. Ericsson could easily be a LHW if he got a bit meaner every now and then.

Wonder if all the extra passion will keep up after the trade deadline has passed...

Its frustrating that Ericcson will go have a good fight with someone like Clowe who is VERY tough than not fight for the rest of a season and has like 1 all year... I think if he fought five times a year even with the added experience he would become a very solid LHW as well. Hell he already can fight with guys like Clowe and he barely has any experience.

Oh well I guess, maybe he'll toughen up now that he sees the rest of the squad doing it

Well, it's proven. Fighting correlates with winning.

Anyone who says otherwise is anti-enforcer big time.

No one said that - or anything close to that. Just pointing out an interesting statistic, that's all.

Its frustrating that Ericcson will go have a good fight with someone like Clowe who is VERY tough than not fight for the rest of a season and has like 1 all year... I think if he fought five times a year even with the added experience he would become a very solid LHW as well. Hell he already can fight with guys like Clowe and he barely has any experience.

Oh well I guess, maybe he'll toughen up now that he sees the rest of the squad doing it

I've always said the same thing. He fared well with Clowe and beat Dorsett. And having Ericsson off the ice for 5 minutes is hardly a detriment to our team.

I wonder why Babcock doesn't encourage him to fight more?

Assuming you mean light heavyweight, in terms of weight class, E's past that. He's listed at 218#, which has him squarely in heavyweight. Cruiserweight is 175-199, light heavyweight is 169-174.

Boxing pedant mode off. ;)

I've always said the same thing. He fared well with Clowe and beat Dorsett. And having Ericsson off the ice for 5 minutes is hardly a detriment to our team.

I wonder why Babcock doesn't encourage him to fight more?

I get the impression that Babcock is for it; I just don't think Ericsson wants to, or in cases like the Edmonton game, isn't willing to go the extra mile to force the issue. As someone said above, he just lacks a mean element.

And I don't mean that as a criticism or accolade, it just seems to be the way he is. It seems to me like the Swedish players generally are less demonstrative in their emotions on the ice. I'm not sure if that's a cultural thing, or just peculiar to our crop of players; it's just the way it appears to me. Ericsson especially almost always has the same expression on his face. He may be really fired up, but I can't tell one way or the other. ;)

This is one reason I'd really like to get an energy guy with a temper on the team, just as a depth-forward. I think having some more nastiness/intensity might spark the regulars a bit more, and I think it would help in playoff hockey. Now, is that a "need" in Holland's eyes? Probably not, but no way to say for sure. We'll see what the deadline brings.

Edit: Jesus, I use the word "seems" a lot; sorry.

Edited by Hockey Convert

Assuming you mean light heavyweight, in terms of weight class, E's past that. He's listed at 218#, which has him squarely in heavyweight. Cruiserweight is 175-199, light heavyweight is 169-174.

Boxing pedant mode off. ;)

You're right. But wouldnt you agree that when it comes to NHL fighters the term 'Heavyweight' refers to the big guys who are the best fighters in the league while the term 'Lightheavyweight' refers to the second tier of guys who fight?

I dont think Heavyweight and light heavyweight have anything to do with actual weight when used in reference to NHL fighters

You're right. But wouldnt you agree that when it comes to NHL fighters the term 'Heavyweight' refers to the big guys who are the best fighters in the league while the term 'Lightheavyweight' refers to the second tier of guys who fight?

I dont think Heavyweight and light heavyweight have anything to do with actual weight when used in reference to NHL fighters

Yeah, hockey-fight fans throw those terms around really loosely. If you go by hockeyfights forum rules, about 5 guys who are now in the minors are "legit heavyweights", and every regular roster player who fights is a "light heavyweight" or a "pretty good middleweight" if they're above average in fighting skill while being able to play hockey. This applies almost regardless of actual weight. :P

I think the reason our guys who fight don't do it often enough is because they don't like getting punched in the face. To be a successful fighter you can't be afraid to take a punch, all the best fighters in the league can absorb punches and keep going. Seems once one of our guys starts taking punches they grab on for dear life or go down.

I think Babcock in general all year has had a bug up his arse!

He appears meaner behind the bench, maybe that is his way of dealing with the lethargic play of this team.

I think he has one of the harder coaching jobs in Sports. These guys start to take for granted this team will be good. How many games do they lose because they are trying to play on skill alone. Howard has really been great for them and I worried when J-mac and Conks were going to be the tandem.

Babs has the whole team playing a little grittier and meaner.

Abdelkader has finally realized that he will not be on the first line and started playing the way that got him on this team.