• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Wingydingy19

Will there be an impact trade by the wings?

Rate this topic

I think odds are they make an "impact" similar to adding Ian White this past offseason, it was significant but wasn't really a front page newsworthy signing. I think they add another mid-grade player but not sure if they are gonna bring in someone like Semin and mess with the core that has made us the first place team in the NHL.

I think they'll just say bringing back Eaves from injury is our major move. In all seriousness though, I could see us chasing a top 9 forward, although the asking price for any top 6 forward would be very high due to the parity in the league and the lack of sellers. This trade deadline looks to be a fairly uneventful and even boring (compared to usual) trade deadline. I would love to see us chase Ruutu, Stewart, maybe even Hemsky, but with the asking price so high, I doubt Ken Holland will be willing to part with much for a rental player...

I think they'll just say bringing back Eaves from injury is our major move. In all seriousness though, I could see us chasing a top 9 forward, although the asking price for any top 6 forward would be very high due to the parity in the league and the lack of sellers. This trade deadline looks to be a fairly uneventful and even boring (compared to usual) trade deadline. I would love to see us chase Ruutu, Stewart, maybe even Hemsky, but with the asking price so high, I doubt Ken Holland will be willing to part with much for a rental player...

I don't know if we'll be seeing Eaves at all this year. Kenny and Mick alluded to him having nagging concussion problems today during the game, in addition to the busted jaw.

Id say that a big trade might wake up this team, every player knows their job is safe no matter how badly they play.

Come on dude we're #1 in the league, the team does not need a major wake-up call. Even if Holland does NOTHING we'll still be one of the teams that have a good shot at the cup this year.

Now personally I think, and hope, Holland will do something, add a guy or two that can increase our chances of success in the playoffs. But a major trade is a gamble for a team that is doing as well as we are, and Holland has not shown to be a guy that gambles and gives up a lot just for a big-name player.

So yes I think there will be an 'impact' trade, but I don't think Holland will go after Nash or Parise as the prize will most likely be too high.

This team isnt built to win the Cup and I hope they recognise that and don't dole out some lame excuse this year for not making the move to put us in a prime position. If I'm Lidstrom I'm going to be offended if Holland doenst try to go for it. Not to mention, I've never seen our farm system so chock full of talent, we could truly make a big deal without gutting the future.

I think we need to go after a 2nd line forward. Someone who will replace and be an upgrade over the Todd. Ruutu is a good target other than his injury history and the current status of his price tag. The real dilemma is Lidstroms status tho. If were going to send some prospects packaging, it should probably be for a defender. Our unwillingness to pay market price in free agency means we'll probably go the trade route for a good player and that's where we should spend our assets. I believe in Holland's ability to fill our forward spot without spending too much tho, so we'll see.

I want a reliable back up goalie. Maybe JMac is the one but I don't have a lot of confidence in him.

JMac has looked pretty good the past few games. Part of that is the fact that he's getting a lot of D support.

This team isnt built to win the Cup

Det is 1st in the league. This statement is bewildering. The team is .500 on the road, and .875 at home. If they lock up a top spot and have home ice then they have every chance of winning.

I hope we see something thats for sure, my answer is yes he'll pull the trigger though I'm not sure on what/whom. We wont see a Nash or Parise like others have also said but do think we need a top six. I still believe Grabovski would be a great addition and Burke also said Kadri is on the block Im not sure the asking price though.

I don't see a big move happening because it's a sellers market now & will probably stay that way going into the trade deadline. I just don't see Kenny mortgaging the future to make a big splash. I don't doubt though that what Kenny might pull off is picking up a player off another team's scrap heap (think like a Brad Boyes in Buffalo) that flies under the radar at first but turns into a great deal at the end of the day.

Det is 1st in the league. This statement is bewildering. The team is .500 on the road, and .875 at home. If they lock up a top spot and have home ice then they have every chance of winning.

Yeah seriously, if we place 1st in the West or even in the league and get home-ice throughout the playoffs.. we have a real good opportunity.

Especially if we don't have to go all the way out to Phoenix and San Jose for the first two rounds. Something like Minnesota 1st round and Chicago 2nd round would be much better.

Datsyuk for Getzlaf and Z for Perry cuz they're soft euro's and God knows Holland will trade roster players.

On a serious note, No .. The last trade that had a impact on the Wings was aquiring Stuart and somehow Holland grabbed him for picks. I don't see that happening this year at all. To many teams in the thick of the playoff race and not a deep rental pool. Moen will not just go for picks, Hemsky will not go for picks, and idk what Nabakov would go for cuz im not sure how many goalie rentals there are.

This is essentially the same team that's been less than motivates to win in the playoffs the last two years. St. Louis got Hitcock and Elliot, SJ got another #1 defenseman and replace the His Heartlessness Dany Heatley, Chicago has more depth on offense and defense and Toews, Kane, and Leddy are just gonna keep getting better, Nashville plays like they want to win every game. We replaced Brian Rafalski with a player who, even in a career year, is arguably not as good as Rafalski. Our other addition is a borderline 6th defenseman, who is a terrible fighter and and even more terrible skater in Commodore. Zetterberg is playing like he's 40, Bertuzzi is not a top six forward, our bottom six forwards have the least potential for offense of any Wings team in 15 years, our backup goalie may be the worst goalie in the league right now. Cleary, Helm, Holmstrom have all regressed. Ericsson is as horrible as ever.

Pittsburgh just won 9 in a row with an AHL roster...but do you think that'll happen in the playoffs? If regular season success meant anything San Jose would be a dynasty. Its almost a given that they will choke but they have ousted us the last two years with what I thought was beatable play. We only play when we want and the last two years we turn it on too late. Every year we've won the Cup we've had a reason and drive. '97-Duh, 52 years, '98-Konstantinov, '02- Maybe the best team ever (Robitaille and Duschene), '08-Dallas Drake, Cleary, most the players hadn't won. Now? You get the picture.

I believe, because I've seen it for 15 years, that the Wings always have a chance and better than most teams. But only when they play like they really want it and we don't do that consistantly anymore.

We don't need an expensive band aid like Hemsky. He's a good player but is prone to injury (from shoulder to dislocated bum hair) there is always something wrong with this guy. Ruutu, Moen maybe stewart wouldn't be bad. What I want to see us get is a back up goalie, preferably Nabokov, if possible.

Toews, Kane, and Leddy are just gonna keep getting better

Who's to say that our players aren't getting better?

We replaced Brian Rafalski with a player who, even in a career year, is arguably not as good as Rafalski.

So you're saying he's arguably better than Rafalski? That sounds like a good thing.

our bottom six forwards have the least potential for offense of any Wings team in 15 years

We're ranked 5th in goals per game, yet we only have 1 top 20 goal scorer in the league. Sounds like we're getting production out of everyone.

Ericsson is as horrible as ever.

Not even remotely true.

If regular season success meant anything San Jose would be a dynasty.

I'm pretty sure that Detroit has had the most regular season success out of every team the past 10 years. Just looked it up, they've won the President's Trophy 4 times in the last decade. No other team has won it twice within that span. Within those years the team that won the trophy made it to at least the conference finals 50% of the time.

Its almost a given that they will choke but they have ousted us the last two years with what I thought was beatable play. We only play when we want and the last two years we turn it on too late.

Last year was the closest playoffs series ever played (as far as goal diff).

Every year we've won the Cup we've had a reason and drive. '97-Duh, 52 years, '98-Konstantinov, '02- Maybe the best team ever (Robitaille and Duschene), '08-Dallas Drake, Cleary, most the players hadn't won. Now? You get the picture.

Drake is not the reason they won. Team defense, and Z and Dats playing superbly is the reason they won. Drake was nothing more than a nice story that has been blown way the f*** out of proportion.

I believe, because I've seen it for 15 years, that the Wings always have a chance and better than most teams. But only when they play like they really want it and we don't do that consistantly anymore.

I disagree.

While I agree the wings didn't win the cup cause of drake in 08 which is absurd, I will say that as well as the team is playing right now that this team is not much different than the one who bowed out to the sharks in the last two years. As nice as it is to see them lead the league in points playoff hockey is an entirely different animal. This team just can't afford to go on offensive slumps in the post season because it will be over before you know it. In my opinion they have to add a true goal scorer to go with all this "puck possession" because you can hold onto the puck all you want but if all your shots continue to come from the perimeter in hopes holmer or cleary bang in a rebound you're asking too much for a long cup run. Franzen is the closest thing the wings have to a true sniper and we all know how he can go missing for a few weeks. As well as Bertuzzi has played this year and I love the guy but we need a true shooter to play with Pav so when dekes out the whole other team and passes it he doesn't get it back it gets hammered in the net. I truly believe the wings will not make the long run we all hope for without some form of a pure goal scorer in this lineup. Just my opinion but I believe it to be the case.

Edited by Wingydingy19

I don't see a big move happening because it's a sellers market now & will probably stay that way going into the trade deadline. I just don't see Kenny mortgaging the future to make a big splash. I don't doubt though that what Kenny might pull off is picking up a player off another team's scrap heap (think like a Brad Boyes in Buffalo) that flies under the radar at first but turns into a great deal at the end of the day.

exactly.

I could however see us getting a decent pickup in hemsky or ruutu or someone because we have much more cap space than usual but under the radar trades/signings that turn out to be great deals are more kenny's style.

Either way, with whatever happens at the deadline, we have a great chance at the cup. no doubt

Who's to say that our players aren't getting better?

'

So you're saying he's arguably better than Rafalski? That sounds like a good thing.

We're ranked 5th in goals per game, yet we only have 1 top 20 goal scorer in the league. Sounds like we're getting production out of everyone.

Not even remotely true.

I'm pretty sure that Detroit has had the most regular season success out of every team the past 10 years. Just looked it up, they've won the President's Trophy 4 times in the last decade. No other team has won it twice within that span. Within those years the team that won the trophy made it to at least the conference finals 50% of the time.

Last year was the closest playoffs series ever played (as far as goal diff).

Drake is not the reason they won. Team defense, and Z and Dats playing superbly is the reason they won. Drake was nothing more than a nice story that has been blown way the f*** out of proportion.

I disagree.

I honestly don't have the time or energy to through all id like to right now but I will say this. Team defense, and consistant offense, was the main reason we won in '08. I think you missed, or didn't care to look at, how I said that a large portion of the team hadn't won yet. To me that's a huge reason. Zetterberg, Fil, Kronwall, etc hadn't won a Cup yet and id bet that is a huge deal in terms of that extra drive to win.

I don't care how "close" that San Jose series was. We lost the first three games and it was obvious we didn't turn on the jets until game 4. If anyone wants to say the Wings, as a team, put up a consistant effort over the last two play-off years...I would think you watching a different team. Datsyuk, Helm, and Howard were the only players that I thought busted it every game. Kronwall and Fil were close. Lidstrom actually showed his age.

If success was measured by the Conference finals than we wouldn't even be having this conversation. Were Cup or bust and our numbers this season mean nothing (other than qualifying for the playoffs). Remember 95-96? I bet 4 people thought we'd lose that year.

I admittingly haven't watched a ton of games this year, but what I have watched, Ericsson has been his normal, hockey senseless self. Even if he's improved he still earns about 1/3 of his contract.

How many of our players are getting better versus how many aren't or are regressing? Fil has gotten better but Zetterberg is playing maybe his worse hockey ever. Hudler is better but does he keep it up in the play-off when everybody is attacking at 110%? Miller is a little bit better but Helm isn't producing as much. Etc.

I would suggest White's upside, aside from the possibility of physical contribution, is at best right around what Rafalski brought and even if he brought a bit more its not like adding Brent Burns (without subtracting!).

The fact is San Jose has beat us the last two years, in the playoffs (because the regular season doesn't matter), and they went out and upgraded. I don't see the big change in our team from last year and therefore dont see why we should think that this team doesn't need an upgrade with a hungry, gritty player and/or a real 2nd line winger. I imagine there's a reason we've been linked to Moen and Ruutu. I know we're a real roller coaster group but remember how we felt, and posted, before game 4 last year? I do.

Edited by achildr1

I would suggest White's upside, aside from the possibility of physical contribution, is at best right around what Rafalski brought and even if he brought a bit more its not like adding Brent Burns (without subtracting!).

The fact is San Jose has beat us the last two years, in the playoffs (because the regular season doesn't matter), and they went out and upgraded. I don't see the big change in our team from last year and therefore dont see why we should think that this team doesn't need an upgrade with a hungry, gritty player and/or a real 2nd line winger. I imagine there's a reason we've been linked to Moen and Ruutu. I know we're a real roller coaster group but remember how we felt, and posted, before game 4 last year? I do.

To clarify, Burns cost SJ Setoguchi, a 1st, and Coyle. Sooooooo WTF????

Also, Moen's won a cup a recently as 2007. By your logic, what's the point trading for him if he's not a hungry cup-virgin?