• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
toby91_ca

Anyone Ever Notice This?

Rate this topic

I've been working way too much lately, so I only got to catch the 3rd period when I got home last night, but has anyone ever noticed that players don't put a lot of effort into hitting Lidstrom?

I haven't paid much attention to it before, but I noticed it last night. If Lidstrom is going to the back wall or the corner to get a puck, he'll get nudged a bit by the Oiler coming in to challenge, but I didn't see any of them going in real hard to hit him. If it was someone like Kronwall in the same spot, they would be going much, much harder at him.

It didn't surprise me at all, I figure it is young guys respecting one of the great defensemen who is nearing the end of his career, but I also think it has a lot to do with how Lidstrom plays (i.e. he's not out running around hitting people).

So, while I'm not surprised, wonder if anyone noticed this.

I've been working way too much lately, so I only got to catch the 3rd period when I got home last night, but has anyone ever noticed that players don't put a lot of effort into hitting Lidstrom?

I haven't paid much attention to it before, but I noticed it last night. If Lidstrom is going to the back wall or the corner to get a puck, he'll get nudged a bit by the Oiler coming in to challenge, but I didn't see any of them going in real hard to hit him. If it was someone like Kronwall in the same spot, they would be going much, much harder at him.

It didn't surprise me at all, I figure it is young guys respecting one of the great defensemen who is nearing the end of his career, but I also think it has a lot to do with how Lidstrom plays (i.e. he's not out running around hitting people).

You know it's funny you say that. I agree with you. It only seems like certain players will go harder on Lidstrom, guys like Ott in Dallas comes to mind. But for the most part most guys just throw a little shoulder on him or a rub out. It's great to see that Lidstrom has earned such high respect with in his peers

Yes. It's not just younger players, a lot of guys leave him alone for the most part. I think it's a respect thing. Not that he is untouchable, but you don't hit TPH. It's just one of those thing. And like you said, he's not going to run around hitting people either.

It's total respect of how he has played the game so long, hard but clean all these years. One of the all time greatest if not the greatest D-man ever and he's ours.

At one time he was the guy that was just plain hard to hit. Guys would take a run at him and end up hurting them self (like Pronger did) I don't know if he still has some of that elusiveness left in him or its just plain respect.

I'm guessing it's partly that, but I think it's also that Lidstrom constantly has his head up, so he's really hard to get a good hit on.

It's seriously ridiculous how little he looks down at the puck. Next game just watch Lids. He's almost never looking down, whether he's skating up ice with the puck, making a pass, or taking a shot. I'm not sure he even knows what his skates look like.

I'm guessing it's partly that, but I think it's also that Lidstrom constantly has his head up, so he's really hard to get a good hit on.

It's seriously ridiculous how little he looks down at the puck. Next game just watch Lids. He's almost never looking down, whether he's skating up ice with the puck, making a pass, or taking a shot. I'm not sure he even knows what his skates look like.

No, that may be true in other examples, but I am specifically referring to situations where he could have easily been hammered, the player is there, they still hit him, but it was more like the type of bump you'd see at an all star game.

I remember last year in the Phoenix series, someone (I think it was Pyatt) clocked Lidstrom pretty good, and Lids seemed pretty surprised that the kid didn't let up. Perfectly good hit, but I think Lids usually expects fellas to let up.

At one time he was the guy that was just plain hard to hit. Guys would take a run at him and end up hurting them self (like Pronger did) I don't know if he still has some of that elusiveness left in him or its just plain respect.

Are you talking about the Yzerman and Pronger incident? If so you do know that Yzerman undercut Pronger and intentionally hurt Pronger right? At least that is what our buddy cprice says...anyhow...

If there was an incident that involved Pronger and Lidstrom then I apologize, but that incident has slipped out of my head (as have many things as I age.) :lol:

I remember last year in the Phoenix series, someone (I think it was Pyatt) clocked Lidstrom pretty good, and Lids seemed pretty surprised that the kid didn't let up. Perfectly good hit, but I think Lids usually expects fellas to let up.

I was about to say this. Probably the second time in my life watching the Wings that I recall seeing him get clocked, the other being a hit from an Av that dazed Lids pretty good, can't remember who it was although I remember Lidstrom crawling to the bench he was so dazed.

I was about to say this. Probably the second time in my life watching the Wings that I recall seeing him get clocked, the other being a hit from an Av that dazed Lids pretty good, can't remember who it was although I remember Lidstrom crawling to the bench he was so dazed.

Ian Laperriere...who promptly got his ass kicked by Aaron Downey for doing it...memories...ahhh.

second that,great point

It was Ian Laperriere and Darren McCarthy or Downey took care of him later in the game

Edited by pucktividi

second that,great point

It was Ian Laperriere and Darren McCarthy or Downey took care of him later in the game

Yup. Lids got his bell rung, it looked like from Laperriere catching him in the face with his glove and possibly butt end. I'm pretty sure Lidstrom injured his knee as he fell to the ice.

Yes. It's not just younger players, a lot of guys leave him alone for the most part. I think it's a respect thing. Not that he is untouchable, but you don't hit TPH. It's just one of those thing. And like you said, he's not going to run around hitting people either.

To be honest, up until a year ago, you couldn't hit this guy. He was almost never in the position to be hit. I have noticed his game get worse over the past few years, and this is one of the small ways it has. He has to battle for pucks he never used to, because he doesn't get there and get the puck out with the absurd speed and precision he normally does.

I want to make this clear because I know people will think I am slamming Lids.

He is not playing awfully, he is playing amazing still and better than almost anyone. It just shows that instead of 99.9% of the time making the play without error or fanfare, he is doing it 95% of the time. I think the lack of hits are partially due to being completely surprised that it is there.

I mean, when you go at him 100 times in your career for a puck, and don't get near him 99 times, that one time you do will be a complete surprise. I doubt you would even think at that point that a hit can be had. Like Pavel, you start playing more positionally and reactionary, and you just assume you will lose the battle but you aim to win the war.

I agree that respect plays into this with some, but I honestly think his skill level is the main reason.

Players have been giving Lidstrom that respect for a while. I think it comes from three places:

1) he's a living legend and he's treated accordingly (whether consciously or not) by the players and refs,

2) he doesn't drill other players or really develop any kind of physical antagonistic relationship and

3) Lidstrom has a history of slipping checks and making the other guy look silly. A check that you're not likely to actually land is worse than no check at all.

Like you said: a guy like Kronwall will always get hit harder by the other team than a guy who plays the game as elegantly as Lidstrom.

Gretzky was treated the same way by the end of his career. Lidstrom's a guy people mention in the same breath as Orr. And really, it's hard to make an argument for any defenseman other than Orr being as singularly dominant as Lidstom has been in his era. Guys like Bourque and Coffey had peers, Lidstrom and Orr never did.

Players have been giving Lidstrom that respect for a while. I think it comes from three places:

1) he's a living legend and he's treated accordingly (whether consciously or not) by the players and refs,

2) he doesn't drill other players or really develop any kind of physical antagonistic relationship and

3) Lidstrom has a history of slipping checks and making the other guy look silly. A check that you're not likely to actually land is worse than no check at all.

Like you said: a guy like Kronwall will always get hit harder by the other team than a guy who plays the game as elegantly as Lidstrom.

Gretzky was treated the same way by the end of his career. Lidstrom's a guy people mention in the same breath as Orr. And really, it's hard to make an argument for any defenseman other than Orr being as singularly dominant as Lidstom has been in his era. Guys like Bourque and Coffey had peers, Lidstrom and Orr never did.

Not if you visit hfboards. People there will grudgingly put Lids as #5, at best, and always behind Bourque. It's kind of comical.

Guest Crymson

Yup. Lids got his bell rung, it looked like from Laperriere catching him in the face with his glove and possibly butt end. I'm pretty sure Lidstrom injured his knee as he fell to the ice.

Lidstrom was only in that position because he lost his balance while going up the boards.

Not if you visit hfboards. People there will grudgingly put Lids as #5, at best, and always behind Bourque. It's kind of comical.

It's a sign of true haters when a guy with Lidstrom's resume gets put there :P. Honestly-- if Lidstrom was Canadian and performed for our Olympic team like he did for the Swedes you'd see a lot less of that silliness.

I'm definitely not being a homer when I place Lidstrom beside Orr. You hear the same stuff from professional hockey analysts with only a few exceptions (Melrose and Millbury, but both those guys have hilarious bad resumes as hockey minds).

I'm just not sure why people wouldn't finish their checks to the best of their gusto on Nick. I'm not saying it doesn't happen. But why exactly wouldn't they? Didn't opposing players have no lack of shyness for targeting Bobby Orr's knees? What's changed today? Are opposing players more likely to get an unfavorable call from the officials if they check Lidstrom too hard or something like that?

Gretzky just said, on NHL Live, that Lids is the Jean Béliveau of defensemen.

On the same program, Roenick said Lids is one of the true-blue greatest players to ever play in the NHL. He also said he's the most respected player in the NHL

Edited by MidMichSteve