• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Din758

How WC tickets will be sold

Rate this topic

I'm a die hard Wings fan who has the poor misfortune of living in Toronto. I wanted to give any one who doesnt already know that the hotel situation in Ann Arbor is out of control. I literally called about 6-7 places last night trying to place a hold on a room. I was finally able to find a spot and get a room. For anyone who is going to require a room at a hotel you should, as ridiculously in advance as it is, make some calls and reserve a room now. If you're worried about not getting a ticket just find a spot that just uses your credit card to hold the room and not charge a deposit.

If I hear another moron say that the NHL put the Leafs in this game to make sure they fill they stadium I'm gonna flip.

If Michiganders can fill the stadium for a college hockey game, no one gives a damn who the Wings are playing, just the fact that the Wings are there will make it full.

From Toronto Star:

Burke boasted of Leaf Nation being able to purchase 50,000 seats in 72 hours

“It’s a no-brainer, with two Original Six teams,” said Richard Powers, the assistant dean at the Rotman School of Business at the University of Toronto. “Huge fan bases from both teams. The Leafs have the largest and most committed fan-base.

“It’s a great opportunity to showcase the league and the teams. It makes Bettman look brilliant. If it’s good for the league, it’s good for the Leafs.”

It’ll be the second time the Wings will be in the Classic. They participated in the second one, in Chicago’s historic Wrigley Field.

It will be the first time for the Leafs in any outdoor game. The two Heritage Classics in Canada featured Edmonton-Montreal and Calgary-Montreal.

The Leafs have been clamouring to be included in league events and the league intends to tap into the Leafs’ vast and mobile fan base to help fill The Big House, the largest sports venue in North America.

That’s why the Leafs are the first Canadian team to be invited into what had been a Made-In-America hockey event.

“Toronto is the only team that could fill that stadium,” said Powers. “This is a win-win for the league. It supports Bettman’s U.S. strategy. They will hype this.”

I'll be doing whatever I can to buy tickets - including spending entirely too much money on them. My wife-to-be and I already agreed that this is a once in a lifetime opportunity and that caution will be thrown to the wind.

That said, if we can't score tickets I think we'll still go for the festivities - maybe the Marlies / Griffins game and watch the WC from a bar somewhere downtown.

If I hear another moron say that the NHL put the Leafs in this game to make sure they fill they stadium I'm gonna flip.

If Michiganders can fill the stadium for a college hockey game, no one gives a damn who the Wings are playing, just the fact that the Wings are there will make it full.

Honest question.....how much were tickets to the college game?

Since I'm in PA I hope i've got a decent shot in the lottery. I will say I'm very disappointed bu the posts of some individuals who are basically saying F me and the other out of state fans who'd love to go and get the big house rocking.

I am with you. Also from PA and I really want to make the trip. Michigan people should be thrilled that people want to actually go there and spend money haha.

Honest question.....how much were tickets to the college game?

As a broke college student, I paid $50 for the Big Chill.

As a broke out of college person. I'll pay whatever it costs.

I'm glad we're playing the Leafs, I really am, but we do not NEED them for this event. There's Wings fans coming from Montana to see this game.

Michigan may be f*&^ed as a State right now, but there would be no shortage of 115,000 Wings fans willing to drop some serious money for a piece of Red Wings history.

Detroit is ranked no.4 in playing to high percentage capacity at road games. Toronto... no.12.

Edited by Chelios57

I'm a die hard Wings fan who has the poor misfortune of living in Toronto. I wanted to give any one who doesnt already know that the hotel situation in Ann Arbor is out of control. I literally called about 6-7 places last night trying to place a hold on a room. I was finally able to find a spot and get a room. For anyone who is going to require a room at a hotel you should, as ridiculously in advance as it is, make some calls and reserve a room now. If you're worried about not getting a ticket just find a spot that just uses your credit card to hold the room and not charge a deposit.

If you're ok with a slight drive look outside of Ann Arbor. I know you'll have the hassle of having to get to Ann Arbor and park but at least you'll have somewhere to stay. Who knows there may even be some that will run shuttles. Try Canton, Plymouth, Livonia, Novi those are all within a half hour to 45 minute drive (without traffic).

As a broke college student, I paid $50 for the Big Chill.

As a broke out of college person. I'll pay whatever it costs.

I'm glad we're playing the Leafs, I really am, but we do not NEED them for this event. There's Wings fans coming from Montana to see this game.

Michigan may be f*&^ed as a State right now, but there would be no shortage of 115,000 Wings fans willing to drop some serious money for a piece of Red Wings history.

Detroit is ranked no.4 in playing to high percentage capacity at road games. Toronto... no.12.

Exactly. Toronto people just think that the NHL would die without the Leafs. The truth is that they're the only ones that would die without the Leafs. Habs and Wings rule road game attendance. Id assume the other teams that have road following are because the NHL hyped their stars out of control and all the 6 year olds and their parents go to watch Crosby draw pictures in the press box.

Edited by achildr1

So logic would say that myself being a Saginaw Spirit season ticket holder, I should have first dibs on the OHL games at Comerica. I will DEFINITELY be getting those (as will the rest of my group of about 8). As for the Wings/Leafs game, I will enter the lottery & take a shot at it... if you can get 4 tickets I'll buy all 4, then sell two of them for double the price & go for free. Otherwise, I guess I'll watch it at home or a bar.

But honest question... are Red Wings season ticket prices going to be REDUCED next year to reflect one less game in the season ticket package? Same question for all the "home" teams that week (the OHL & AHL teams). And here's a good question, I think anyway... I am not a Wings season ticket holder, but wouldn't it make sense that if this game is considered one of the Red Wings regular home games for the season, that the ticket should be a part of the season ticket package? Seems fair to me! Honestly, the most fair thing I can think of is include the game in the season ticket package for the Wings & the rest go in a lottery. Leafs season ticket holders should NOT have priority for a game that is NOT a home game for them. Just my opinion. When Toronto hosts a WC (and Lord knows they will), THEN they can have the priority. I don't know, maybe I'm just a dick, tho.

Also... how much can we expect to pay for JoeVision? There's your other option to pull in some extra money right there! $10-$20 a pop to watch at the Joe - they would sell that place out too!

Edited by SpiritFan

So logic would say that myself being a Saginaw Spirit season ticket holder, I should have first dibs on the OHL games at Comerica. I will DEFINITELY be getting those (as will the rest of my group of about 8). As for the Wings/Leafs game, I will enter the lottery & take a shot at it... if you can get 4 tickets I'll buy all 4, then sell two of them for double the price & go for free. Otherwise, I guess I'll watch it at home or a bar.

That is the problem with ticket sales, people that buy the max just because they can and then try to make a profit. Some fans are not rich but still deserve a chance to go to the game without having to decide between enjoying the Wings game and a household necessity.

Also... how much can we expect to pay for JoeVision? There's your other option to pull in some extra money right there! $10-$20 a pop to watch at the Joe - they would sell that place out too!

This is a great idea!

Well to be fair the only possible way this could be any bigger was if it were a cup finals game.

True true. I guess it's every man or woman for himself or herself. Just to give you all fair warning, I took one or two tae kwon doe lessons when I was younger and I remember about 50% of it. Yeah.

That's exactly how the NCAA does the Frozen Four tickets. You pay up front for tickets, wait six months, and either get tickets or a refund.

The only frozen four I have been to was at Ford Field. For that you just bought tickets like any other event, ticketmaster.

True true. I guess it's every man or woman for himself or herself. Just to give you all fair warning, I took one or two tae kwon doe lessons when I was younger and I remember about 50% of it. Yeah.

Hey man I saw some capoeira videos on youtube. Don't mess.

I am going to throw my hat into the lottery unless I can find a season ticket holder who is willing to trade tickets for a teenager.....LOL

Have already decided if I get tickets am going to suck it up and be nice to mother in law to crash in Flint.

Will drive, fly or ride horseback to get there and willing to pay the bucks to go as I am guessing stub hub is gong to be absurd for pricing!!

I am with you. Also from PA and I really want to make the trip. Michigan people should be thrilled that people want to actually go there and spend money haha.

Where in PA? If we both get lucky in the lottery, maybe we could carpool. :)

I'm from vancouver canada and im planning on coming forget montana! lol ... but theres next to no chance ill get tickets now.. i flew down for the toast of hockeytown this past year you can bet id fly down for the WC. just to be in the city of Detroit, whether i get a ticket to the game or not

Truth be told, no one knows at the moment how the tickets will be sold for this. Everything right now is just a guess. For all we know, they might not even do a lottery like has been done in the past. They might end up doing like a pre-sale for the general public (after the season ticket holders have their go around), and then perhaps a lottery or a general sale afterwards. I would recommend going to both teams sites and signing up where you can receive more information on the event. I likely think that we won't know more until at least the playoffs, but wouldn't be surprised if it were the summer before there is anything official concerning tickets.

I know that someone here had posted a link to the site: 2013winterclassic.com, however that site is not a site affiliated with either team or the league, it's basically a ticket broker website.

I'm not accusing anyone of being right or wrong here, but from what I understood, the Ticket office told the original poster how it was going to work. Was the ticket office guessing, or are they pretty much right? I'm a little confused.

I'm not accusing anyone of being right or wrong here, but from what I understood, the Ticket office told the original poster how it was going to work. Was the ticket office guessing, or are they pretty much right? I'm a little confused.

well the part about season ticket holders is correct as someone i know who has wings season tickets that received a letter on friday saying that he would have first chance at tickets. but that part seemed obvious

however the part about the tickets being put in a lottery is still up in the air as no ticket information has officially been released

does anyone recall how tickets were sold for past winter classics?

Edited by chances14

I really hope there is no lottery and its basically first come first serve. Fairest way to do it. I took part in the lottery for US Soccer tickets at the World Cup in 06. That was a mess. Trying to plan a trip not knowing if you had tickets. Same thing would happen here unless they had winners notified within a couple days of entering.

Must have used up all my lottery luck too. Got tickets to all 3 games where the demand for those far exceeded what the Winter Classic will get.