• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Dominator2005

Red Wings hope Winter Classic can persuade Nicklas Lidstrom to return

Rate this topic

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2012/02/red_wings_hope_lure_of_winter.html

The Red Wings are turning up the pressure on Lidstrom to return next season, telling him – and anyone who'll listen – that the 41-year-old defenseman shouldn't retire with such a huge event looming, a chance to play the Toronto Maple Leafs before a world-record crowd of 115,000.

"I'm hoping this game will convince Nick, and with how our team is playing, to

come back for one more year," general manager Ken Holland said. "The possibilities are incredible."

The ever-optimistic coach Mike Babcock is convinced Lidstrom will return.

"He'll be back. He'll be back," Babcock said. "He's too good to quit and our team's too good. I was concerned this year was going to be his last if our team wasn't good enough. Our team is good enough and he's good enough.

"I think there's one more (year) for sure. He's never going to let his skill diminish and he's not interested in playing on a bad team. I know (Tomas) Holmstrom wants to play and he's working on him every day. They're like two kids together."

Lidstrom said he'll make his decision after the season.

"It (Winter Classic) is only one game, but it's an intriguing one," Lidstrom said. "We'll have to wait and see."

For what it's worth, he added, "I think it's going to be an unbelievable feeling to walk through that (Michigan Stadium) tunnel and play a hockey game."

Teammates are hopeful.

"I think this will be perfect." Niklas Kronwall said. "It really gives him another reason to continue for another year. I think it's pretty good timing."

Said Pavel Datsyuk: "He's going to play at least two more years."

I think Pasha knows more than he lets people think he does. And you gotta admit, the idea of playing in front of 115,000 screaming fans (I hope I'm one of them!) is quite the temptation.

I had no doubt in my mind that Nick would come back one more year if we do not win the Cup. But now, if we win the Cup this year, I think this will be a big reason for him coming back yet again. He is still playing at an elite level and is the best dman in the game still imo, this team is still very good (and Kenny will have lots of cap space in the offseason to ADD to this team to make it even better), and of course the outdoor game next year. I think all these factors wight in on Nick coming back another year regardless. Also, he takes his family into consideration every year and I would think his family would be pretty excited for this and would want to see Nick involved as the Red Wings captain one more year.

I think a lot of what will either entice Nick to come back, or cause him to retire is making some moves to improve the team. If Kenny doesn't do anything to improve the team, either ahead of the trade deadline or in the off-season, I feel like Nick might be more inclined to hang them up. Sort of like what Weber/Suter are doing in Nashville, where the team has to prove they want to get better before they will commit.

I hope he plays forever. Seriously.

Truer words were never spoken...

I like what Pavel had to say on the matter. From his lips to Nick's contract-signing-hand, hopefully. (Not expecting a anything but a 1 year deal, but one can always dream.)

I'd just show Lidstrom the game tape of that game the Wings played verses Montreal when he was out. Then I'd pause the tape, turn to him and say "Q.E.D.".

Lidstrom is a player that influences a team so deeply it's almost like the relationship between a quarterback and his team.

Trying to make things work without him will be really tough, especially since the team's defensive stats aren't amazing right now to begin with.

Now, can they spin it so he takes league minimum to return too so they can add two major pieces?

Asking him to play for the league minimum would be an insult no matter how you spin it.

I'm just glad he's not a Forsberg type guy, or else he'd come back and "just" play in that one game.

I'm starting to lean in him returning as well. But you never know.

That's being unfair to Forsberg (who I dislike on a personal level but respect as a player). Forsberg never treated the subject of a comeback like Brett Farve. The only thing limiting Forsberg was his ghetto foot, his intentions should never be doubted. I honestly feel bad for Forsberg because he was never able to end his career on his own terms. Farve, on the other hand, is an attention-seeking jackass.

Forsberg's aborted comebacks came down to the fact that there's no simulating NHL action. Just because he could stand up to play in the SEL and in NHL practice didn't mean his foot would stand up to NHL play. Once he tried it and realized this he stepped aside until a friend or doctor convinced him otherwise.

"I think there's one more (year) for sure. He's never going to let his skill diminish and he's not interested in playing on a bad team. I know (Tomas) Holmstrom wants to play and he's working on him every day. They're like two kids together."

Not only do we need Lidstrom and Holmstrom at the outdoor game, we need them in 24/7.

Lids is in the Norris hunt again this year, and that alone is good enough reason to sign for one more year. At the same time though, if the Wings do win the cup this year, I think it will be his last.

The other thing to think about is the CBA. If that doesn't get passed, I think that Nick will retire.

I trust in Pavel though. I hope he does return. :)

guys come on we're getting one more year. nick wouldn't go out there on the mich stadium field to promote the game and then not play in it. assuming there are no health issues, it's a done deal. yeah i said it.

Edited by SFwingsfan