• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 MabusIncarnate

MabusIncarnate

The Truth Is Out There

• Silver Booster Mod
  • 2,222 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 04:43 AM

So kind of a strange topic, some people are skeptical, some are uncomfortable about the topic, and then there's some that have had unusual experiences that may have changed their mind.

Where do you stand? Do you believe in Ghosts? Does life exist outside of our planet? Are there still undiscovered creatures out there that may exist like the Mothman, Bigfoot, or the Jersey Devil or is it all myth, misidentification, and imagination?

I've run a Paranormal site that covers a lot of these areas for about ten years, and i'm curious to see what the reactions and responses are among you guys. I tend to be more skeptical in most areas, but I do have some beliefs in the paranormal.

13585921555_24551f5658.jpg

#2 WizardOfOz30

WizardOfOz30

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 4,726 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 09:28 AM

I do believe that we can't be the only beings in the universe. But I have no theories about where or what they may be. I also believe that spirits of our loved one probably do reach out to us in some way when there is a need. I've never had any personal experiences though.

Posted Image

Thanks Offsides

"If I could sum up my career in Detroit, I was a perfect goalie for the team at the perfect time. I just wanted to be a Red Wing, that's it." Chris Osgood, July 19, 2011

#3 SouthernWingsFan

SouthernWingsFan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 24,609 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 12:02 PM

Do I believe in ghosts? No.

Is there life elsewhere on other planets? Possibly.

#4 Electrophile

Electrophile

Ipsa scientia potestas est.

• Silver Booster
  • 9,390 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 12:27 PM

Ghosts? No. Aliens? No. Bigfoot? No. Do I think there's life on other planets? Yes, if the life we're talking about are single-celled organisms and other such biological objects. No, if we're talking about Marvin the Martian and E.T.

electrophilewingsfloyd.jpg

"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff."  -- The Doctor

#5 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,909 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 01:57 PM

I don't shut the door on the possibility, but for the most part things have to be proven to me.

I do think that there may be life out there beyond our solar system.

I know that ghosts exist, but it might just be a very scientific residual energy that we haven't learned to measure yet rather than the spirits of the departed.

Bigfoot and Nessie are unlikely, but for the longest time people didn't believe that the platypus existed either.

I believe that the New Jersey Devils might exist, but only in the Eastern Conference which might itself be a myth. :P

#6 MabusIncarnate

MabusIncarnate

The Truth Is Out There

• Silver Booster Mod
  • 2,222 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 05:44 PM

Here's my stance, I can go on for hours so i'll try to make it brief.

The problem with study and research in fields like this is that everything is left to interpretation and there's so much hoaxing and tampered "evidence" that it's made a mockery of it as a whole. 99.9% of video and audio evidence is faked, which has made trudging through everything available very non-credible.

With that said, when I was younger I grew up in a house in Pennsylvania, the basement was partially remains of the underground railroad during the slave movement. It extended nearly a half mile underground until a point where it was either closed off or it had collapsed. My closest neighbors were over a mile away, and there really was no path that connected this railroad to another home. On dozens of occasions I heard muffled voices that used to terrify me when I was a child, but it grew more into curiosity as I got older. I could never make out words but I could distinguish male from female voices. It was never conversations, but more two or three word phrases that would occur anywhere from five minutes to an hour apart.

So were these ghosts? I really don't have an answer for it, but I would consider it paranormal as it went unexplained without a logical reason behind it. There are caverns in New Mexico that are a major tourist attraction, you can walk through these rock caverns and hear the cries and chants of native americans. Does this make it a paranormal event? Not necessarily. Limestone deposits can act as a battery, and points in time under the right conditions can be recorded and replayed, or cause a residual audio effect. Is it more likely that during a thunderstorm with the right amount of electricity and the correct combination of minerals recorded events from the past and continues to replay it like an audio recorder? Yeah I believe it is very likely, and it could offer an explaination from what I experienced.

Carl Sagan wrote that there are more stars in the sky than there are grains of sand on every beach on our planet. If you can even wrap your head around a number like that, it's literally billions upon billions of stars. This entire universe with all those stars and we are the only planet that can harbor life? It's really doubtful. Intelligent beings? Who knows, the universe is endless, and it's very possible that we may never know in this lifetime. Single celled organisms, plants, even fish or animals, yeah I gotta say that it's more possible than not. Again, with all recorded evidence being faked or hoaxed, no I don't think any UFO sightings outside of the Phoenix Lights have any kind of validity. But let's be real here, say we DID have the technology to visit another planet, we would explore right? So has something come here to observe and study us? Probably not, but it may be possible. Nothing I have seen has convinced me though.

I think Bigfoot is pretty much blown out of proportion at this point, there's been sightings around the world, all continents, most of all countries. My gripe with this, NO species of animal makes it's home across all of the continents. It just doesn't happen that way and the overabundance of sightings worldwide has pretty much eliminated the possibility of something like this existing. Sightings limited to one region of the world are more logical, but not necessarily true. Loch Ness? I know i've seen the great lakes and they look like the ocean. Are there species that live in the furthest depths that man still hasn't seen by man? I think absolutely there is. Are there "sea creatures"? More likely not. I believe most cases are misidentified, as most video footage is always blurry.

So that's about my general opinion, i'm open minded, but logical and skeptical. I have had strange instances in my life that brought me to open the page I run so there is a level of belief on my end, but i'm not going to post footage from Ghost Hunters and call it legitimate.

#7 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,759 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 10:57 PM

Ghosts - Yes
Bigfoot - No (but I really want to)
Loch Ness Monster - No
Jersey Devil - Yes
Aliens - Yes
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#8 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,691 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 06:06 AM

-I don't believe in Bigfoot.
-I do believe in aliens. The galaxy is huge, and its hard to believe that we're the only intelligent form of life out there.
-Ghosts definitely could exist, Although I am not a fan of the shows about them. Seems every little noise they hear is "evidence".

The real secrets of the world aren't talked about on television. Bigfoot, especially, is merely for ratings. There are tons of different "Investigative shows" about Bigfoot. People really buy into it, though.
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#9 MabusIncarnate

MabusIncarnate

The Truth Is Out There

• Silver Booster Mod
  • 2,222 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 01:26 AM

This is a perfect example of what I hit on above as far as the hoaxing and especially the gullibility of people who will buy into doctored footage and evidence. This was created by a friend of mine who posts on our forums frequently and lives in the UK. He created this video not to try and trick people into believing it is real, but to prove that you can flat out create fake evidence and create a "paranormal storm" with it.

There has been over 3.1 millions views of this video, and has appeared on the paranormal program "Fact or Faked Paranormal Files" on SyFy. He disclosed to only a few people that he created it but released it as if it really was footage that he captured randomly. If you watch it close, you can't see any strings or equipment used to create this video, nor can you see shadows or anything indicating there is someone actually there creating the phenomenon. With some magnets, fishing line, and high pressured air you can create a pretty convincing video.

Check it out and you be the judge, had I not told you that it was fake, it seems flat out convincing. It's under a minute long.

#10 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,691 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 01:30 AM

This is a perfect example of what I hit on above as far as the hoaxing and especially the gullibility of people who will buy into doctored footage and evidence. This was created by a friend of mine who posts on our forums frequently and lives in the UK. He created this video not to try and trick people into believing it is real, but to prove that you can flat out create fake evidence and create a "paranormal storm" with it.

There has been over 3.1 millions views of this video, and has appeared on the paranormal program "Fact or Faked Paranormal Files" on SyFy. He disclosed to only a few people that he created it but released it as if it really was footage that he captured randomly. If you watch it close, you can't see any strings or equipment used to create this video, nor can you see shadows or anything indicating there is someone actually there creating the phenomenon. With some magnets, fishing line, and high pressured air you can create a pretty convincing video.

Check it out and you be the judge, had I not told you that it was fake, it seems flat out convincing. It's under a minute long.

Which is why I tend to dismiss " Concrete Video evidence" for the most part. Looks pretty convincing.
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#11 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,909 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 02:00 AM

Cool video, but don't poltergeists usually have short bursts of activity rather than things just keeping going like that? I would expect that if it was real that everything would have happened at once.

Not that they're all the same. That's just my experience. It certainly wouldn't have kept me from believing if you hadn't told us that it was faked.

#12 MabusIncarnate

MabusIncarnate

The Truth Is Out There

• Silver Booster Mod
  • 2,222 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 02:22 AM

Cool video, but don't poltergeists usually have short bursts of activity rather than things just keeping going like that? I would expect that if it was real that everything would have happened at once.

Not that they're all the same. That's just my experience. It certainly wouldn't have kept me from believing if you hadn't told us that it was faked.

It's tough to pinpoint a consistency in events like this when they themselves haven't even been scientifically proven. You do make a good point, and what society has displayed as "poltergeist" is an event comparable to a giant electric magnet being turned on suddenly and everything sticking together. It normally isn't described as an event like the one in the video where activity continues for a few seconds.

What is interesting is there are events like this documented by the church and our government in the late 1800's through the early 1900's. Again there's always the question if it really is some kind of paranormal force or spirit that causes this or some unusual geological event that we don't understand. Compasses point to magnetic North, it could simply be a build up of magnetic energy that releases itself in random spots of the world, but it's so infrequent and quick that it's near impossible to be studied.

#13 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,909 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 09:37 AM

It's been almost 30 years, so my memory is sure to be faded and perhaps tainted by time, but I am only recalling 3 instances where I witnessed poltergeist activity. I know there were more- I did go through 3 roommates in a matter of 4 months. :)

They tended to be small. One time there was a pile of books on the bed that just fell off. We didn't think anything of it at the time- figured they just hadn't been stacked straight or something, but they had been sitting there for some time, and weren't close to the edge, yet every one of them fell off, not just the ones on the top of the pile. You'd think at least the bottom ones would have stayed on the bed.

Another time my friend Rachel was sitting cross-legged on the bed, playing with one of my stuffed animals. I had just cleaned my room and the rest of the animals were sitting on the bed leaning against the wall. The bed was tight to the wall. I went to answer the door (this was a dorm room, btw) and there was a thump and Rachel screamed. The bed had jumped about a foot from the wall. Rachel said it just leaped up and landed on the floor again. The animals had all fallen behind the bed, and Rachel was still sitting cross-legged, so there was no way she could have done it by moving the bed herself.

The other time was the biggest. We had two closets, above each of which were two cabinets. The cabinet doors tended to stick badly on the one side. My roommate at the time was rather short, so I always had to open hers for her if she needed anything out of it. I am tall enough (5'10") that I could open them and grab from the front if I needed something, but as they were quite deep, I had to get on a chair if I wanted something from the back.

Amy (my roommate at the time) and I were sitting doing our homework when we heard a scrape like the sound that Amy's door made when opening. We looked up and all 4 doors had opened and most of the stuff that was in the cabinets fell out. It wasn't one object at a time nor did things fly, like in the video, it was one gigantic dump.

Amy had never believed until then. She thought I was moving her stuff around to bug her. She moved out rather quickly. I went through 2 more roommates, and they both left almost as soon as they were unpacked. The last one wanted to room with me because she wanted to see "Mike" as we called him. I figured she'd stay, but she was back out the door as soon as something freaky happened.

The occurrences happened for only a span of 4-5 months and then stopped. I did my term paper for English that year on poltergeists. I found that there is a theory that they might be the result of over-active brain waves, and they tend to gravitate around females (check), teens (check), and epileptics (which I was at that time due to side effects of a medication I was on). They also tend to last for less than 6 months in cases like mine.

Like I said, it was a very long time ago. Once I found out that I might be the source of it, I thought it was way cool. I never felt threatened by it, just startled because it would happen suddenly. All the same, I'm glad it stopped and hasn't followed me around through life. Those dang things don't pick up after themselves. :P

#14 MabusIncarnate

MabusIncarnate

The Truth Is Out There

• Silver Booster Mod
  • 2,222 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 06:23 PM

Thanks for this, and it was a really interesting read. From what i've researched and read about activity tends to revolve around younger people as you had stated, especially teenagers which is what seems to be the case here. Did you ever feel threatened by the idea that it may follow you around or was it more just a random occurring instance that you really didn't feel like was directed at you? The force behind a lot of what's been described seems immense, especially if something moved your bed with someone sitting on it, I think I would be concerned but it wouldn't deter me from staying in that room. Logic defies anything that we would consider normal when comparing it to what you posted above, and that's the kind of things that keep me driven to study this field further. Its very different when things like this happen to you, this kind of activity is not something i've experienced, but there were things I have seen and heard that really floored me. You can read about it and watch it on television all day and not be phased, it's when you have that personal experience is when your mind begins to unravel a bit and you start to take a second look at things around you.

A few years ago I stayed at the Stanley Hotel for two nights in Colorado, which is reportedly one of the most haunted buildings in the US and was the site where the Stephen King film The Shining was shot. It's for this reason that I decided to venture here for a two night stay with a friend of mine who shares the same interest in this field. We both stayed in the same room (yeah call me chicken) and both shared the same experiences in those nights. The closet door had opened twice while we were both in our beds, items on the end table wound up on the floor or in the closed drawer, and at one point we both woke up to a loud snap and discovered when we turned the lights on that a pen was stuck in the grating of the closet door. It was wedged like there was a lot of force behind it as it took effort to pull it back out. The metal clip on the pen was abnormally cold, much colder than the room would allow for.

This is just my experience from two nights, there's been hundreds of reports, a lot similar, to what we had experienced in the same room. The fact is this is an area of study that is constantly mocked and doubted, and most won't even give it a second look if they haven't experienced it for themselves. Fact is there are strange occurrences going on everyday, some cultures accept the fact that ghosts exist and don't even consider them paranormal at this point. The way to describe whats going on or figure out the origins of activity is the real mystery.

Edited by BlazeYoungblood, 17 February 2012 - 06:25 PM.

#15 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,909 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 09:42 AM

I do love a good mystery, but I'm skeptical at the same time. I believe there is a scientific reason for things like this.

I don't recall being scared by the events. It was more of a "whoa! cool!" thing. At first Amy and I each thought the other was playing tricks. Stuff would be in one place when we left, and then in another when we came back. We each thought the other had come back to the room and moved the things.

Once I got used to it, I had a feeling that I was part of it. Like the feeling you get when you go home after a long absence. Everything is familiar, yet somehow different, but it still feels like you belong there. I felt that it was part of my aura, for total lack of a better word.

I never felt like I was in danger, although I did startle when things happened.

Several years ago I worked graveyards in a convenience store that was supposedly haunted by a ghost named Bruce. Things would jump off shelves and into your path when you walked down the aisles. Cooler doors would fly open as you walked by. Things were few and far between, but most people who worked there had some sort of experience with Bruce.

If you just said, "Hello Bruce. Knock it off." it would stop. Again, I think there is a reason. I know that when you walked past one set of shelves, the floorboards were not tight to the floor and if something was setting on the edge of the shelf it would fall. You could make that happen by stepping in a certain place on the floor. There it was- a perfectly reasonable explanation.

The store has been remodeled. I have been back to fill in there a few times, but didn't see or hear anything out of the ordinary.

With Bruce, I didn't feel too uneasy unless I was in the back room by the sink or if I went downstairs into the store room. Those places seemed unnaturally cold and they were not well-lit. There was one spot on the steps that when you passed it, a chill would go through you.

Sometimes there was a mist, but only if the humidity and temps outside were extremely high, so again, I think there is a natural answer to that.

#16 Echolalia

Echolalia

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,962 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 04:34 PM

http://www.letsgowin...page__hl__ghost

This was a ghost story thread from a while back. I posted the only "supernatural" thing to happen to me in it, which I think is a thrilling read. Others posted some good stuff in there too. Unfortunately the thread died off pretty quickly, so maybe this one can continue on.

#17 CopenhagenWing

CopenhagenWing

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,247 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 12:50 PM

Earth is Botany Bay. ;)

I find it hard to believe that the inhabitants of this little rock are the only intelligent life forms in the universe.

#18 MabusIncarnate

MabusIncarnate

The Truth Is Out There

• Silver Booster Mod
  • 2,222 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 05:16 AM

http://www.letsgowings.com/forums/topic/37334-ghost-stories/page__hl__ghost

This was a ghost story thread from a while back. I posted the only "supernatural" thing to happen to me in it, which I think is a thrilling read. Others posted some good stuff in there too. Unfortunately the thread died off pretty quickly, so maybe this one can continue on.

I attempted to search for a similar thread but didn't seem to come across it, thanks for the link i'll read through this for sure.

I live about an hour from Macon, GA which is supposed to be one of the most haunted cities in the US. I'm considering taking a trip and visiting some of the locations that are listed online as "hot spots". Has anyone here considered investigation or staying the night in a supposedly haunted location? I've done it once, I didn't sleep much but i'd do it again.

#19 Red Reign

Red Reign

Draftee

• 8 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 04:35 AM

The universe is larger than we can even begin to comprehend, so I have to believe that there is other life out there somewhere.

As far as ghosts, I do believe in ghosts (mostly because of several experiences that I can't really explain and wouldn't really expect anyone to believe if I told them)
Detroit sports fan stuck in Ohio.

Victory for MSU!

#20 MabusIncarnate

MabusIncarnate

The Truth Is Out There

• Silver Booster Mod
  • 2,222 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 01:23 AM

The universe is larger than we can even begin to comprehend, so I have to believe that there is other life out there somewhere.

As far as ghosts, I do believe in ghosts (mostly because of several experiences that I can't really explain and wouldn't really expect anyone to believe if I told them)

You can freely send me any experiences in PM or through email if you are discouraged to post it up publicly. Part of what I do at the site is document stories and experiences from other people, we have gotten hundreds from all around the world and they are available to be seen and reviewed by site members and staff. It's a place where people aren't judged and may speak freely about this subject where it may not be so comfortable to discuss in other areas of the net.

Same goes for anyone, if you want to type up your experiences in detail, try to recall a general date and send it to me, we will place it in our private files to be read by investigators and authors in the field of study. We aim for research and documentation as much as discussion on the forums, and any volunteered information would be immensely appreciated.

Please don't mistake this for advertising as i'm not going to post links to my site, it's more an effort to calibrate experiences from a broadened audience for the purpose of research and overall development in the field of paranormal study. To sum it up, the more information the better, and again, anyone may feel free to contact me through PM or email.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users