31 replies to this topic

#21 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,922 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 10:34 AM

I just found out something yesterday that made me go "Whoa!"

If you go back up a few posts, I talked about poltergeist activity I had experienced.  I had done my term paper on it, so I knew quite a bit at the time. 

Yesterday I was watching an old episode of Ghost Hunters (yeah, I know, but I watch it cuz Steve is cute, so there) and they were talking about poltergeists.

They said what I already knew, and then had someone check the minerals common in that area.  They specifically said they were looking for quartz and limestone.  Paul mentioned limestone earlier, as a possible natural recording phenomena, but I didn't link it to poltergeists.

After GH mentioned it, I googled the town where I used to live and found that there are about a half dozen limestone mines around the town, some of which are now abandoned.

Made me amazed! 

I had also mentioned Bruce, the c-store ghost.  I talked to Heidi, the assistant manager of that store, a couple of weeks ago and asked about him.  She said that no one's heard from him since the remodel.

She did share a story that's good for a laugh, even though it isn't paranormal:

Kathy (the former manager) used to pin everything on Bruce.  She was a big believer.  She was in the basement with another employee cleaning up some water that had gotten in after a big rain.  A friend of hers came to visit, and Heidi sent her downstairs.

Not long after that, Kathy and the other employee came running up screaming their lungs out.  Kathy said Bruce hit her, and the other lady said he had grabbed her butt.

Kathy's friend came up almost doubled over laughing.  What had happened was that when Kathy turned to talk to her friend, she lost focus on the shopvac she was using, and the wand came up and sucked onto the other gal's butt, which startled her so that she threw her mop, which hit Kathy.

Both assumed it was the ghost and ran out screaming.

That cracked me up to no end.

Anyway, I'm putting this here because I can't talk to normal people about this stuff, and Paul was the first paranormal believer that I thought of that I could share my limestone "Eureka!" moment with.

#22 MabusIncarnate

MabusIncarnate

The Truth Is Out There

• Silver Booster Mod
  • 2,231 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 03:08 PM

Kind of glad to see the resurgence of this thread, thanks a lot for sharing this Karen. 

There's been numerous reports throughout history of miners digging through gold mines, actually finding gold and making a profit, that refused to continue and abandoned the mine due to apparent paranormal activity. These are big musclebound men, most that had no belief in things like this and abandoned making a profit to support their families out of fear of what they witnessed. 

It still remains to be seen exactly how to perceive things like this, if it simply is existing energy that's recorded and replayed because of the right chemical and mineral compound acting as a battery of sorts, or if it really is the leftover soul of a person that has some kind of awareness? It's also easy to see how, with the example you stated above, people can allow their head's to think too far into it and believe things happen when it's really an explainable occurrence like the shop vac example. 

I used to go to Gettysburg a lot growing up because it was a local attraction and I had an interest in civil war history. One of the buildings on two separate occasions I heard footsteps on the second floor above me. It was one of those places where the stairwell was chained off to insure visitors did not wander up there. The woman that worked there insisted that no one was up there, they only go upstairs a couple times a year but she heard the "walking" sounds almost weekly like it was a common occurrence and she had gotten used to it. It was just accepted as an unexplained event that was doing no harm but no one really had an answer for. 

I think the mystery is a lot of it's attractiveness for me, and there's still so much that we don't understand. I don't discredit television programs like Ghost Hunters entirely, I do have to consider it's credibility because it's on TV and they want ratings, but at the same time when the focus is disproving over trying to find things that aren't necessarily there is legit, The more people begin to call common events "paranormal" like lens flares being "orbs" the further it discredits the credibility of the field of study and pushes people further from belief. Experiencing it for yourself though is a completely different ballgame. 

13585921555_24551f5658.jpg

#23 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,922 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 03:35 PM

Yeah, GH was better back when they weren't so popular and were totally fine with finding nothing and having nothing happen.  It was a show about Ghost Hunters, not Ghost Finders.  Now they have to dramatize and kind of over-act for the camera.

I still love Steve and miss Grant. :blush:

Anyway- I've been musing about this sort of thing quite a bit.  I'm actually serious about this idea I had, even though it sounds odd and like something I'd use as a punchline. 

Here goes:  If ghosts are energy, and if we accept the theory that naturally-unexplained cold spots can be ghosts taking the heat (energy) out of the air in order to manifest themselves, would a space heater be a helpful ghost hunting tool?  It would give out extra heat (therefore extra energy) to help the ghost manifest.  Yeah, I'm actually serious about that thought.

#24 MabusIncarnate

MabusIncarnate

The Truth Is Out There

• Silver Booster Mod
  • 2,231 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 01:07 PM

That's actually a good question, i'm not entirely sure if that's been considered or not. In theory it would make sense because it coincides with other methods. 

#25 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,922 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 02:46 PM

I thought more about it.  If this was the case, toasters would be paranormal hot spots.  It would also be interesting to see if more apparitions happen in the summertime.  It would also make me wonder why basements get hit so often, but then it could be the wiring/furnace/dryers (at 220v) or some sort of electrical thing.

Dang, I wish there was actual reliable research that wasn't all psychics and ouija boards, but purely scientific that one could just take a class in.  Unfortunately, it's all just theory at this point.

#26 St. Michael (the Red Wing)

St. Michael (the Red Wing)

Heavenly With the Puck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 10:41 AM

There is no such thing as in "ghosts." :P

#27 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,475 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 01:34 PM

So kind of a strange topic, some people are skeptical, some are uncomfortable about the topic, and then there's some that have had unusual experiences that may have changed their mind.

Where do you stand? Do you believe in Ghosts? Does life exist outside of our planet? Are there still undiscovered creatures out there that may exist like the Mothman, Bigfoot, or the Jersey Devil or is it all myth, misidentification, and imagination?

I've run a Paranormal site that covers a lot of these areas for about ten years, and i'm curious to see what the reactions and responses are among you guys. I tend to be more skeptical in most areas, but I do have some beliefs in the paranormal.

I have seen ghosts personally, and have had many paranormal activities happen in my own house, and my old house so yes I do believe in ghosts. Aliens are a bit more tricky, I believe that there is life on other planets, but I am not entirely convinced they are able to come and go to earth as often as they please, or why they even would want to.

That being said, creatures like big foot, nessy, and others, may or may not be fictional. If they can find an 80 foot squid living in the ocean then who knows

#28 MabusIncarnate

MabusIncarnate

The Truth Is Out There

• Silver Booster Mod
  • 2,231 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 01:26 AM

I have seen ghosts personally, and have had many paranormal activities happen in my own house, and my old house so yes I do believe in ghosts. Aliens are a bit more tricky, I believe that there is life on other planets, but I am not entirely convinced they are able to come and go to earth as often as they please, or why they even would want to.

That being said, creatures like big foot, nessy, and others, may or may not be fictional. If they can find an 80 foot squid living in the ocean then who knows

I've heard that comment pretty frequently along the lines of what you posted here, about if potential alien life would visit this planet and why would they want to. My response to that is this, and again this is purely in theory, but if we had the technology to visit and observe other planets, wouldn't we? We are in a constant race for improvement of technology, especially for exploration of space and the universe. We build to see further and go further, if we as a race discovered a way to explore another planet, and we had the technology to do so, we absolutely would. 

Saying that though, I do believe pretty firmly that 99.9% of all eyewitness accounts are misidentification, and if there are other forms of intelligent life observing us, the instances are extremely rare. It could be something along the lines of an unmanned probe or vessel like the rover we dropped on Mars, because if intelligent life is smart enough to have developed technology to reach our planet, chances they are smart enough to keep their distance from us. 

I also really like that you brought up the giant squid idea, because it's a discovery that I love. Parts of these creatures have washed up dead on shore, but for all the exploring we have done of the oceans, an 80 foot squid was seen and recorded alive in the wild for the first time ever in the mid 2000's. It's kind of mind boggling to think that something that is that tremendous has managed to hide from our sight for this long undiscovered. 

#29 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,475 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 02:24 AM

I've heard that comment pretty frequently along the lines of what you posted here, about if potential alien life would visit this planet and why would they want to. My response to that is this, and again this is purely in theory, but if we had the technology to visit and observe other planets, wouldn't we? We are in a constant race for improvement of technology, especially for exploration of space and the universe. We build to see further and go further, if we as a race discovered a way to explore another planet, and we had the technology to do so, we absolutely would. 

Saying that though, I do believe pretty firmly that 99.9% of all eyewitness accounts are misidentification, and if there are other forms of intelligent life observing us, the instances are extremely rare. It could be something along the lines of an unmanned probe or vessel like the rover we dropped on Mars, because if intelligent life is smart enough to have developed technology to reach our planet, chances they are smart enough to keep their distance from us. 

I also really like that you brought up the giant squid idea, because it's a discovery that I love. Parts of these creatures have washed up dead on shore, but for all the exploring we have done of the oceans, an 80 foot squid was seen and recorded alive in the wild for the first time ever in the mid 2000's. It's kind of mind boggling to think that something that is that tremendous has managed to hide from our sight for this long undiscovered. 

I agree with pretty much everything here. I think it would be very logical for intelligent life to send probes or vessels, or inconspicuously monitor us some way. I don't think they would be that foolish to always be seen unless that was for whatever reason their intention. 

It is funny because with all the studies and deep sea dives we have done, we still have not even seen 1/3 of the oceans/seas. Who knows what other kinds of "prehistoric" creatures could be down there, for all we know there could be a 70 foot Megaladon (giant great white shark) roaming around in the abyss.Most scientists believe it to be very much possible.

By the way on a side note, just saw your signature, you're welcome :)

#30 HadThomasVokounOnFortSt

HadThomasVokounOnFortSt

Hi

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,097 posts
  • Location:Cloudy Town, Minnesota. 762.20 miles from the Joe Louis Arena

Posted 25 March 2013 - 08:26 PM

I believe in ghost but problem is that movies make it seem beyond unrealistic. Do anyone watch Ghost Adventures on the Travel Channel? It usually aired on Friday and Saturday night and pretty much what it is, is 3 guys locked into haunted places and what makes this a lot better then other ghost shows is there is no camera crew in there. It's just them 3 filming from there own cameras. They capture pictures and shadows all the time! Recommend checking it out.

Aliens, they scare me. Now Minnesota is pretty big farming in my area and one time I am driving on a back road and there is a field with no trees or cell phone towers around. All the sudden I see orange lights blinking in the distance in the field, I tried to take like 5 or 6 pictures but for some reason I couldn't get the lights to show up in the picture. At the time, I was like that's weird but now that I think of it, I feel there was something weird.

Edited by HadThomasVokounOnFortSt, 25 March 2013 - 08:31 PM.

Follow me on Twitter: @W2G4U

#31 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,475 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 08:37 PM

I believe in ghost but problem is that movies make it seem beyond unrealistic. Do anyone watch Ghost Adventures on the Travel Channel? It usually aired on Friday and Saturday night and pretty much what it is, is 3 guys locked into haunted places and what makes this a lot better then other ghost shows is there is no camera crew in there. It's just them 3 filming from there own cameras. They capture pictures and shadows all the time! Recommend checking it out.

Aliens, they scare me. Now Minnesota is pretty big farming in my area and one time I am driving on a back road and there is a field with no trees or cell phone towers around. All the sudden I see orange lights blinking in the distance in the field, I tried to take like 5 or 6 pictures but for some reason I couldn't get the lights to show up in the picture. At the time, I was like that's weird but now that I think of it, I feel there was something weird.

Ya LSD will definitely do that to you :P 

I joke :) That is pretty weird though, can''t say I'ver ever had any kind of close enounter with the third kind, although, a lot of really strange stuff has been happening lately apparently

#32 HadThomasVokounOnFortSt

HadThomasVokounOnFortSt

Hi

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,097 posts
  • Location:Cloudy Town, Minnesota. 762.20 miles from the Joe Louis Arena

Posted 25 March 2013 - 08:45 PM

Ya LSD will definitely do that to you :P

I joke :) That is pretty weird though, can''t say I'ver ever had any kind of close enounter with the third kind, although, a lot of really strange stuff has been happening lately apparently

Well if your looking for an encounter you can come up to Minnesota here and come stay at the Palmer House Hotel with me. :) It's a haunted hotel and like I was talking about with the Travel Channel earlier, they did an episode not to long ago there and if you got time I would highly check out!

Edited by HadThomasVokounOnFortSt, 25 March 2013 - 08:46 PM.

Follow me on Twitter: @W2G4U

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users