• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Datsyerberger

Joey Mac

Rate this topic

Obviously, we don't want to ride him long term; he'll likely eventually have a bad game. But at this point, I think he's played well enough in his time up to prove he should be the backup for the rest of this year (and next year, too). I like Conkers but he just doesn't seem to have any gas left, and that worries me come playoff time. Personally, I think Joey could hold the fort during the tighter defensively playoffs if he had to for a few games. Not to mention he's busted his ass to prove he should be up here.

Is there anyone on here that really disagrees at this point?

He should be our backup... But I have a question for the board, what can we do to Conklin? I mean in terms of "releasing him." Basically would we waive him like what we did to Brunnstrom?

Thanks

Give him a flyers jersey and leave him on LaViolette's doorstep in a basket :clap:

Seriously.. Joey Mac has shown he's earned the spot, Conklin really hasn't. Where it goes from there i'm not sure but Joey deserves it and I feel a bit more comfortable when he plays.

A few points.

1. I am fine with him being the backup for the rest of this year, but I would still see if there is a trade to be made but refuse to give up anything valuable. Next year... I still would look for better.

2. Nothing stops us from sending him down at any point... he would just have to clear waivers going down and coming up. If he gets claimed coming up then we have to pay half the salary. If we send him down, we might have to keep him down.

3. I still would have loved to have Osgood playing, because even if he wasn't better than Joey, he would be better than Ty. I would have loved to see him adding to that win total right now.

4. Congrats to being a huge part of a record Joey.

I would be cool with him being our backup the rest of the year. He's shown he can give us a chance to win games so we can let Jimmy be rested and ready for the playoffs.

That also rids Holland of the problem of having to go out and get a backup, so he can focus completely on adding forward/defense-depth.

Guest stinky fish taco

the blunder behind the net was 2 mistakes in one.

first, he whiffs on the pass. it happens. nearly every goaltender has done that at some point.

but then, he stands there doing nothing. slowly gliding back into the net, not even skating. it's not like he could make it to his pass or anything. why would you not go for your net? you could almost see the gears in his head turning. "duh...uh...what do i do now? derp."

he might have had a chance to stop that puck if he had just jumped back into the net.

I would have no issues with Joey Mac being the back up the rest of the way, with one stipulation. Either stay late after practice playing pucks around the net, or just vow to let the d-men handle those duties.

You can't learn if you don't do it. Practice != real game.

first, he whiffs on the pass. it happens. nearly every goaltender has done that at some point.

but then, he stands there doing nothing. slowly gliding back into the net, not even skating. it's not like he could make it to his pass or anything. why would you not go for your net? you could almost see the gears in his head turning. "duh...uh...what do i do now? derp."

he might have had a chance to stop that puck if he had just jumped back into the net.

The play happened way too fast for him to make it in time.

It was tick tack play once he lost it.

Guest stinky fish taco

The play happened way too fast for him to make it in time.

It was tick tack play once he lost it.

i just watched the replay. he didn't even try. he froze.

you're telling me he had no chance at all to get back into his net?

i just watched the replay. he didn't even try. he froze.

you're telling me he had no chance at all to get back into his net?

to

I'm saying he gave the puck away and the Flyers made a quick play to the front.

Even if he made it back in time, he would have still been unlikely to make the save.

Guest stinky fish taco

to

I'm saying he gave the puck away and the Flyers made a quick play to the front.

Even if he made it back in time, he would have still been unlikely to make the save.

unlikey, maybe. but to say "The play happened way too fast for him to make it in time." is incorrect.

he would have had a chance to make the save if he didn't freeze.

He didn't freeze, he was expecting the bank shot and positioned himself so the Flyers player would be unable to bank it off him and into the net. Unfortunately he didn't seem to realize where that second Flyers player was and did not expect that pass.

Guest stinky fish taco

No, I don't think he would have made it in time to make a save.

well, we can agree to disagree on that.

I agree that he blundered, but he didn't "freeze" he tried to skate to the puck to follow up his whiffed pass, but en route to the puck he realized it was too late and then tried to get back to the net, if he'd gone straight there after whiffing, he might have been in position to at least block the pass.

I would have no issues with Joey Mac being the back up the rest of the way, with one stipulation. Either stay late after practice playing pucks around the net, or just vow to let the d-men handle those duties.

I'd say both. There's going to be times when he'll have to play the puck, but he needs to practice that.

Like I said during the game, anytime you see a goalie try an awkward backhand type shot, it's bad news. In general though he could be more conservative in playing the puck since he's so awful at it.

I was all about having Joey be the backup and waiving Conklin. At the same time, I would send Joey down to GR and keep Conklin up at the Wings. Joey will get more ice time, plus he has a two way contract which means we can bring him up and send him down without any restrictions. If you want to play a backup, then bring Joey up and scratch Conklin.

I do agree with everyone here, Joey has played well the last few games. He deserves his shot.

I was all about having Joey be the backup and waiving Conklin. At the same time, I would send Joey down to GR and keep Conklin up at the Wings. Joey will get more ice time, plus he has a two way contract which means we can bring him up and send him down without any restrictions. If you want to play a backup, then bring Joey up and scratch Conklin.

I do agree with everyone here, Joey has played well the last few games. He deserves his shot.

I believe the two-way contract is just about how much he gets paid in the minors, if i remember correctly. So I believe he would still have to go through waivers. I doubt Ilitch really cares about the little extra money he'd have to pay to Conklin in the minors or MacDonald in the majors.

Also I think I think your idea would be a very douchebag move on Conklin, just having him in the backup role and then scratching him and bringing up MacDonald for certain games. Why would he even want to be on the team if hes just there to practice and only ever plays if Howard in injured during a game.

However, I think we should send Conklin down to split some time with Pearce(if hes still there) and keep MacDonald as backup the rest of the year and next year to play out his cheap $550,000 2-year contract.