• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
mwagner468

The only teams that can win the cup

Rate this topic

Ok, I think there are only five teams that can win four rounds. Detroit, San Jose, and Vancouver in the west, and Boston, and the Rags in the East. I am not saying someone else can't upset one of these teams. However, in my opinion only these 5 teams can win the cup. What say you?

Guest irishock

San Jose can get past us, but if the playoffs ended today they'd get buried by Chicago, I guarantee you. They play like bosses against just the Wings but the Canucks, Blues and Hawks completely own them.

San Jose?

Eh...I don't see that at all.

Not saying they can't...but I think if they have a deep run it will be a little surprising, and if they win the cup I'll be very surprised.

And it goes without saying I'll say St. Louis should be included in the conversation.

Technically, they do have the best pts. earned per game in the West...and are on pace for 111.8 pts., which is also best in the West (just a tick ahead of Detroit's 111.3 pace). St. Louis does have a few more road games than most teams down the stretch though.

The only thing they have working against them is their scoring isn't what it needs to be...but they just got MacDonald back...should be getting Steen back soon...so some help is on the way.

Most of these teams will probably make some sort of move at the deadline to improve...so that plays a factor. The Blues, however, probably won't do anything big at the deadline...aside from probably moving top goalie prospect, Ben Bishop.

Edited by cprice12

St Louis because the Blues and Cardinals always play above their heads when it counts

When have the Blues ever played above their heads when it counted?

They have traditionally underachieved in the playoffs.

San Jose?

Not saying they can't...but I think if they have a deep run it will be a little surprising, and if they win the cup I'll be very surprised.

And it goes without saying I'll say St. Louis should be included in the conversation.

Technically, they do have the best pts. earned per game in the West...and are on pace for 111.8 pts., which is also best in the West (just a tick ahead of Detroit's 111.3 pace). St. Louis does have a few more road games than most teams down the stretch though.

The only thing they have working against them is their scoring isn't what it needs to be...but they just got MacDonald back...should be getting Steen back soon...so some help is on the way.

Most of these teams will probably make some sort of move at the deadline to improve...so that plays a factor. The Blues, however, probably won't do anything big at the deadline...aside from probably moving top goalie prospect, Ben Bishop.

Scratch those figures.

I was working from standings that didn't have Detroit's win over Philly factored in...I thought they were updated when I did that.

Anyway...

The only thing SJ has done different this year than years past is not bury Niemi into the ground with excessive amounts of games in the reg. season, mostly because Niemi was injured the first month of the year. Adding Burns has not given them a spark, and hell, i'll say that their D has gotten worse since 2008 when they had a super D in place (Boyle, Ehrhoff, Blake, Vlasic, Murray, Huskins, Lukowich)

Marleau's getting older. Thornton is getting even more washed up. Pavelski is learning how to dive from Thornton. Couture is young and having an effective season thus far. Havlat is injured (again). But SJ has no DEPTH. Handzus isn't scoring as he used to be able to. I've seen what he could do when he was with the Flyers. He isn't the same guy he was.

Remember last year, game 7, it took the Sharks playing their top 6 in excess of 25 minutes that night to put us away. They also went 23+ in games 4, 5, and 6. The Sharks were too gassed and that made them easy for the Canucks to pick apart. No matter how good Niemi or Greiss are, they're gonna get blown up again.

If the ownership of the Sharts had any real interest in winning, they'd intervene since the GM isn't doing it.

Thomas has angered the hockey gods by putting himself ahead of the team. He will be Smote.

Thomas has angered the hockey gods by putting himself ahead of the team. He will be Smote.

Please spare me. I wasnt aware that the hockey gods were Commies. I say good for Thomas for voicing his opinion and utilizing one of the last rights Americans seem to have right now.

San Jose?

They can make it interesting in the first couple of rounds, but they won't be cup contenders.

The best I can see them being is like the 09 Blackhawks. Lots of spunk and promise, but will eventually be beaten by a team that is more talented and with more playoff experience. Despite the 3-0 shutout win, I think San Jose, Detroit, and Vancouver can bump them off.

Shouldn't that be "He shall be smitten"?

We need to get that straight if the season is riding on this. :P

Anyway, I think it's too early to say that thus-and-such team can or can't (with the exception of teams like the BJ's, of course).

Any team can have a rash of injuries, or someone can find his game and go on a hot streak. I do agree with Detroit naturally. The Rangers have been surprisingly impressive and I'd make them my pick for the East at this point, but a lot can change.

The Panthers have been surprising this year, but despite having Cup winners in Koko and Sammy, I don't think they will take it all the way.

Detroit, SJ, Vancouver and maybe Chicago are the best bets for the West. I really like our chances out of those 4 teams. In the East, Pittsburgh is, unfortunately, the team to beat in the East. If/When Crosby returns, they'll have two solid scoring lines and the weak Eastern Conference. I feel like the Rags are a one and done team. I don't have much hope for Washington this year and Boston hasn't been very solid on defense lately. Of course, that could just be a slump they're in, but I'd like to see them get back to be good on defense again before saying they're a team that can win it again. NJ is a team to watch in the East, I think. They were hot at the end of last year and were on a good streak recently to start this second half. Streaky teams are usually teams that make it to the Finals in the East.

Detroit, SJ, Vancouver and maybe Chicago are the best bets for the West. I really like our chances out of those 4 teams. In the East, Pittsburgh is, unfortunately, the team to beat in the East. If/When Crosby returns, they'll have two solid scoring lines and the weak Eastern Conference. I feel like the Rags are a one and done team. I don't have much hope for Washington this year and Boston hasn't been very solid on defense lately. Of course, that could just be a slump they're in, but I'd like to see them get back to be good on defense again before saying they're a team that can win it again. NJ is a team to watch in the East, I think. They were hot at the end of last year and were on a good streak recently to start this second half. Streaky teams are usually teams that make it to the Finals in the East.

Agreed. Pittsburgh is doing phenomenal for missing Crosby and Staal. (Or has Staal come back yet?) They'll likely challenge for at least the Conference championship.

Rangers, Bruins or Pens in the East.

Wings, Canucks or Blues in the West.

But the West is more highly contested imo. Chicago, Nashville, San Jose and LA could all cause some trouble. I don't see teams like Ottawa, Florida, Toronto, New Jersey etc. making much noise.

Edited by dat's sick

At this current moment in the Standings my picks to win the Cup would be (West) Detroit, Vancouver and St. Louis.

(East) Boston, NYR and Pittsburgh

I find Chicago to be highly overrated especially on the blue line and in net. Man oh man if Pittsburgh gets Crosby back healthy (I doubt it until maybe playoff time but who knows) they have a realistic shot considering all the injures they've had and are only now getting healthier.

And on regards to San Jose. They only thing they've proven is that they can beat us in the playoffs. Yet they get owned by other teams as mentioned earlier in previous posts. I find this Sharks team kinda weak this year.

Also finishing 1st in the league or at least in the Western conference is all the more important. Having home ice advantage in the playoffs is going be huge this year for us. Obviously if we could just be a bit better on the road.

Overall

Detroit, Boston, Vancouver, Pittsburgh and NYR would be my top 5 currently now.

Edited by St. Michael (the Red Wing)

I'm amazed the Preds aren't being mentioned. They have no stars up front, but the best pair of defencemen in the league and a world-class goalie. And a coach who constantly gets them playing above their abilities. I see both them and St. Louis as serious threats to come out of the west (along with the Wings and Canucks, moreso than the Sharks, Hawks and whoever else gets in) but if I had to pick between St. Louis and Nashville I'd say the Preds are likelier since they now have some playoff experience.

Guest stinky fish taco

It'll be interesting to see how SJ does without Setoguchi. He was clutch for them in the last two playoffs and always made up for Thornton and Marleau sucking :hehe:

what's the status on havlat?

the sharks would be a lot easier to beat with 5 good scoring forwards instead of 7 like last year.

Edited by stinky fish taco

I'm amazed the Preds aren't being mentioned. They have no stars up front, but the best pair of defencemen in the league and a world-class goalie. And a coach who constantly gets them playing above their abilities. I see both them and St. Louis as serious threats to come out of the west (along with the Wings and Canucks, moreso than the Sharks, Hawks and whoever else gets in) but if I had to pick between St. Louis and Nashville I'd say the Preds are likelier since they now have some playoff experience.

If they lose Suter at the trade deadline they won't look so hot.

But I did mention Nashville as a team that can cause trouble in the West. Imo the West is very open this year and it will come down to who matches up better against who.

Guest stinky fish taco

If they lose Suter at the trade deadline they won't look so hot.

they won't move suter if they're in a playoff spot at the deadline, and i don't see them falling out of one by then.