Photo
* - - - - 1 votes

Is Nicklas Lidstrom The Greatest Detroit Red Wing Of All Time?

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#41 Chelios57

Chelios57

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 834 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 06:08 PM

Yzerman for me is easily number 3.

The other top 2 is hard, but I have to give the edge to Lidstrom. It's almost impossible to find a player that can play as long and as consistent as Lidstrom, and that player would be Gordie Howe. But Lidstrom is absolutely perfect, if he ever makes a mistake it blows my mind - because he NEVER makes mistakes!

1: Lidstrom
2: Howe
3: Yzerman
Atlanta Thrashers: 1999-2011

WINTER CLASSIC 2013

"When you want to measure yourself, you don't measure yourself against, no disrespect to TORONTO or any other team that I can think of right now, you measure yourself against the Detroit Red Wings. They are the best in the league, and whether they won last year's Cup or didn't win last year's Cup, they're the measuring stick." - Bruce Boudreau

#42 Jersey Wing

Jersey Wing

Watching Eastern Conference hockey before it was cool...

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,117 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 10:26 PM

Yes, he is

14767451334_8f0d14d8cb_o.jpg

#43 irishock

irishock

Into the sunset

• Silver Booster
  • 1,837 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 10:49 PM

Lidstrom has led his team to 4 stanley cups (6 appearances) in an era where even great teams can't get past the first round of the playoffs. He is clearly the greatest Wing ever to lace up the skates and is the smartest player ever.

bringit.jpg

#44 kook_10

kook_10

I Like Our Team

• Gold Booster
  • 2,238 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 11:04 PM

The best Red Wing? Fedorov. Unmatched skill. Best leader? Yzerman. Most integral? Howe. Player who exemplifies what it means to be a Red Wing? Lidstrom.

Gordie was top 5 in league scoring for 20 straight years. That equals best Red Wing.

I would say Stevie Y still exemplifies the Ilitch era Red Wings. Nick has never experienced the adversity of Stevie, and as such never epitomized the guttiness, skill, tenacity, and work ethic in the way the Captain did.

I agree however, that Nick may be the smartest hockey player ever (or on par with Gretzky).

Edited by kook_10, 13 February 2012 - 11:05 PM.

works every time

#45 Opie

Opie

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,420 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 09:21 AM

Outside Hater Here but I would say Lidstrom is the all time best defenseman. Howe is the best forward all time. Now who is the best Goalie of all time for you b######s! :siren:

This guy?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXm0HVq_7-I

Edit: I am a tool and couldn't get it embedded

Edited by Opie, 14 February 2012 - 09:24 AM.

"The more I know about people - the better I like my dog." - Mark Twain

"A wise man once told me, ‘Don’t argue with fools. Cause people from a distance can’t tell who is who'." Jay Z, Takeover

"When I was looking for a captain, I wanted a guy with the Red Wings crest tattooed on his chest," said former Detroit coach Jacques Demers, who named Yzerman captain in 1986. "Steve Yzerman was that guy."

“Told him if he wasn't ultra-competitive he couldn't come here. If he didn't bring it every day he couldn't come here, because he was going to hate it if he didn't, dislike the coach and dislike playing here.
“It's real straightforward. If you don't do it right, you're not happy here." Babcock

#46 toby91_ca

toby91_ca

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 8,519 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 10:35 AM

Gordie was top 5 in league scoring for 20 straight years. That equals best Red Wing.

But Yzerman really had no chance at that. Big difference between a league of 6 teams and a league of 30 teams (finishing in the top 5 in scoring consistently in today's game is much, much more difficult).

That said, in any era, that type of consistency is incredible since most guys don't even play for close to that long, let alone stay healthy enough to finish that high in scoring each year.

However, I'm not sure that would be an "official" record because technically, Howe finished 6th in scoring in 1960. While he was tied for 5th in points with Henri Richard, Richard had more goals, so Richard finishes 5th and Howe 6th.

#47 Chelios57

Chelios57

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 834 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 01:12 PM

I would say Stevie Y still exemplifies the Ilitch era Red Wings. Nick has never experienced the adversity of Stevie, and as such never epitomized the guttiness, skill, tenacity, and work ethic in the way the Captain did.

I agree however, that Nick may be the smartest hockey player ever (or on par with Gretzky).

Nick never experienced adversity because he automatically makes a team a playoff-team. Nick doesn't have to deal with too much adversity, because he's sooo good that everything looks easy.
Atlanta Thrashers: 1999-2011

WINTER CLASSIC 2013

"When you want to measure yourself, you don't measure yourself against, no disrespect to TORONTO or any other team that I can think of right now, you measure yourself against the Detroit Red Wings. They are the best in the league, and whether they won last year's Cup or didn't win last year's Cup, they're the measuring stick." - Bruce Boudreau

#48 toby91_ca

toby91_ca

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 8,519 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 01:26 PM

Lidstrom has led his team to 4 stanley cups (6 appearances) in an era where even great teams can't get past the first round of the playoffs. He is clearly the greatest Wing ever to lace up the skates and is the smartest player ever.

Howe led his team to 4 cups (11 appearances) - I know....different times.

Of the 4 cups that you say Lidstrom led the team to, wasn't Yzerman the captain for 3 of them? Isn't that like saying Messier is the greatest Oiler because he led the team to 5 cups? Not saying Lidstrom is or isn't higher on the list than Yzerman, I'm just not sure this is a great argument either way.

#49 kipwinger

kipwinger

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,343 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 01:42 PM

Either Howe or Lidstrom as the top Wing. Yzerman is third. I was just looking at Howe and Lidstrom's career accomplishments to see if anything stood out to me. Jesus Christ, who could pic?

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#50 Uncle Danny

Uncle Danny

2nd Line Scorer

• HoF Booster
  • 683 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 02:26 PM

Trying to quantify something like this is a fools errand. Stats and awards be damned. Depending which criteria you use, an argument could be made quite well for any of the three. (IMO) Lidstrom is the best player of the three. His game is flawless. That said, Stevie was the consummate selfless leader, and dragged this team out of the grave by sacrificing his body and completely reinventing his game despite enormous offensive talent. Gordie? Well, geez. What can be said that hasn't already? The man is Mr. Hockey. He's pretty universally recognized as one of the two most important players ever to lace them up, league wide.

It all really depends on your definition of greatest, I suppose. Given that, and voting with my heart, I'm going with Stevie for the reasons outlined above. He had the talent, the leadership and the character to take a dead franchise and turn them into a perennial winner. Plus I love the legend (not sure if it is true or not) that he threatened to retire if he was traded from the Wings -- that's character.
If I should ever die, God forbid, let this be my epitaph:
THE ONLY PROOF HE NEEDED
FOR THE EXISTENCE OF GOD
WAS MUSIC
-- Kurt Vonnegut

#51 blgillett

blgillett

Stevie the one and only Captian

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 04:20 PM

It hard to judge between Gordie and Nick. I think I would say Gordie was the best of his era and Nick the best of modern day hockey followed closely by Stevie Y. Stevie with out a doubt was the best captian to play the game.

Edited by blgillett, 14 February 2012 - 04:22 PM.

"He was standing there like a cigar store Indian" Mickey Redmond
"Holmstrom gets more attention around the net than a pretty girl around closing time!" Mickey Redmond
IPB Image

#52 ben_usmc

ben_usmc

Kenny Powers Fan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,829 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 04:48 PM

Probably but an argument could be made for at least 3 different players
There's no I in team, but there's a U in c***, so don't be little jealous c***s

#53 Barrie

Barrie

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,943 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 04:57 PM

No way he's ahead of Gordie.

Although, I do have him second ahead of Yzerman.

In terms of importance to the franchise, he's behind both those players.

Well said, I agree with all 3 statements.
Lets Go:
Red Wings
Tigers
Roughriders
Lions
Spartans
Pistons