• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
miller76

Rinaldo gets two games for the charge on Big E

Rate this topic

I'm a little surprised honestly, though I'm guessing the suspension is in great part to Rinaldo being fined recently for a slew foot and a late hit in the same game.

In watching the video a few times, it looks like Rinaldo ends up leaving his feet in part because he put on the brakes before he hit E. Probably because he knew he didn't want to hit the boards at that speed. Though even had he not gone flying into the air, Rinaldo has Ericsson lined up from the blueline and takes at least 6 full strides to hit him.

Shanny explained in great detail the reasoning. The comparison with the line, and height difference between the two players, and the obvious launching of himself. I doubt he would have gotten anything other than a 2500 dollar slap, but history caught up to him on this one.

Shanny :clap:

Good. That is what the players will get for taking a run at softer players.

:lol:

Shanny explained in great detail the reasoning. The comparison with the line, and height difference between the two players, and the obvious launching of himself. I doubt he would have gotten anything other than a 2500 dollar slap, but history caught up to him on this one.

Shanny :clap:

Shanny is doing a great job out there.

That contact was totally unnecessary.

Good that Big E did not get hurt.

dont know if that deserved a suspension... Ericsson shouldn't have been looking behind him. These concussion rules are so dumb (not that this was a hit to the head).

head shot never even came up. The issue is he launched himself, which is against the rules, plus he has history.

Kronwall delivered a nice hit last night, and never left his feet. He never launched himself into the player, he stood him up. The game needs more hits like this, and less players retaliating for quality checks.

In all seriousness I'm not trying to be a smart ass or passive aggressive when I ask this. What's the difference between leaving your feet in this case, and leaving your feet like Kronwall does on a lot of his hits? I don't know the rule so I don't understand the suspension here. Is it because he took the long run at Big E, or because he jumped upward and into Ericsson? Shanny didn't say anything about the head so it couldn't be any targeting issue. Does the intent matter here? Like if you intend to leave your feet it's suspension worthy but if you just happen to come off your feet because of the speed/force of a legal hit it's ok? Seriously, if anybody knows the rule on this and how it's interpreted I'd love to know it.

Here's a link to the Kronwall hit on Kesler earlier this season. If you pause it at :39 seconds you'll see Kronwall way up off the ice. This is why I'm confused about the leaving your feet thing.

Edited by kipwinger

In all seriousness I'm not trying to be a smart ass or passive aggressive when I ask this. What's the difference between leaving your feet in this case, and leaving your feet like Kronwall does on a lot of his hits? I don't know the rule so I don't understand the suspension here. Is it because he took the long run at Big E, or because he jumped upward and into Ericsson? Shanny didn't say anything about the head so it couldn't be any targeting issue. Does the intent matter here? Like if you intend to leave your feet it's suspension worthy but if you just happen to come off your feet because of the speed/force of a legal hit it's ok? Seriously, if anybody knows the rule on this and how it's interpreted I'd love to know it.

Here's a link to the Kronwall hit on Kesler earlier this season. If you pause it at :39 seconds you'll see Kronwall way up off the ice. This is why I'm confused about the leaving your feet thing.

It's a good question. Honestly I think there's a fair number of Kronwall's hits that are borderline because of how he launches himself.

Looking at this one comparing to Rinaldo's, I'd say Kronner's skates don't get nearly as high off the ice, and because he's coming in backwards he actually isn't launching himself like he often does. His left skate looks like it's basically on the ice through most of the hit.

With Rinaldo's hit I'd have to think it was the long run-up combined with the jump as he stopped. Like I said I'm a little surprised at the suspension but the guy was just fined for a late hit and a slewfoot very recently. Shanny may just be sick of seeing his name come across his desk.

Shanny's video explains it rather well. He must certainly did launch up.

Being a dick last week + head-hunter this week = 2 game suspension

I thought a single game would have been what I gave him, but I haven't seen video from the slew foot.

Maybe the jarring impact will make Ericsson suck less.

I've noticed something this year, Kronwall is leading ass first rather than shoulder first on a lot more of his hits. Granted, the hit on Kessler was borderline, and could arguably be considered suspension worthy...HOWEVER I'm wondering how much of that is "anticipation" and just "missed timing" than anything. IOW is it just the fact that he was lightening himself off his skates and mistimed it slightly? If he stayed down, feet heavy, what would happen? The biggest difference here is that Rinaldo's head was even with Ericsson's at contact...even though Ericsson is what, four inches taller? (although if our favorite s***box had kept his ******* HEAD UP I don't think the hit even connects...)

The suspension was a message more than a direct punishment for the hit. It was a borderline hit with him leaving his feet. If this was the first time he had gotten into trouble or had been a clean player beforehand he would likely get away with a fine or less. But he had two fines from one game last week in which he was let off easy, you only get so many chances with shanahan. This is a culmination suspension.

OK. Rewatched. The difference might be that Kronwall turned to his back and didn't target the head.

Rinaldo didn't target the head either though. I agreed with everything Shanny said, it was clearly a charge, which is why it should have been a penalty. I don't see why there is a suspension though. I guess what Rinaldo did last week weighed heavily into this as I don't see how what he did is worse than what Kronwall has done...see earlier video in this thread.

Leaving your feet to make a hit does not = suspension automatically. In a lot of cases, such a hit may target the head and will be suspensions, but when they don't, I think it's just a charging penalty.

He didn't target the head and the NHL agrees he didn't, otherwise, he would have gotten more than 2 games. If they wanted to suspend him, they should have done so last week.

dont know if that deserved a suspension... Ericsson shouldn't have been looking behind him. These concussion rules are so dumb (not that this was a hit to the head).

You are correct, Big E shouldn't have been doing what he did, but that doesn't mean he should get hit the way he did. I agree with no suspension though.

Kronner gets away with a lot of his hits because A) He doesn't target the head B) He doesn't lead with his elbows/shoulders and C) he's not taking 5-6 power strides to run guys into end boards. He does leave his feet on about 80% of those hits and even most of those they come off the ice after he's made contact. In the cases where he does leave his feet, its only by a few inches. Possibly enough to warrant a charging call, but he's adapted to the new rules quite well by not leading with his shoulders anymore. Skating backwards is a creative way to circumvent the wording of the rules regarding charging.

I think the suspension has less to do with the actual hit itself and more to do with recent fines. Rinaldo had the right idea, just poor execution. 1 game would have been more appropriate.

He skated hard from center ice to deliver a blow to the head, good suspension after his actions last week.

From an article on ESPN New York

The league fined Philadelphia's Zac Rinaldo $5,000 -- $2,500 for two separate incidents -- following the Devils' 6-4 win over the Flyers Saturday.

Rinaldo was fined for a late hit on Devils center Jacob Josefson at 12:51 of the second period and a slew-foot on Devils captain Zach Parise after the whistle at 11:38 of the third.

"I was surprised, definitely, to be fined, but I have a good deal of respect for [league disciplinarian] Brendan Shanahan," Rinaldo told ESPNNewYork.com Sunday morning. "It comes with my style of play. As long as it's not a suspension, I'm fine with it."

Rinaldo's hit on Josefson earned him a minor interference penalty, but the slew-foot on Parise, which the league deemed "a dangerous trip," received no call.

"The slew-foot really shouldn't be in the game but 6-nothing we were down and someone had to stir the pot," Rinaldo said.

The 21-year-old forward said he realizes the effort being made to clean up the game and found the conversation with Shanahan helpful.

"Realistically, I don't think I deserved the fines, but in this day and age with the league the way it is, I have to agree with it."

The guy is not the brightest, and shanny is noticing he is not getting the message. This is why I am ok with 2 games.

personally, I don't like this decision. Rinaldo makes two bad decision in short span of time, agreed.... but suspension?

I'd rather see Ericsson stop admiring his own passes and watch out when standing behind the goal and being free target for anyone charging from middle field. period.

I can only repeat Clarke's comment after Umberger got destroyed by Campbell (see:

): "kid needs to grow up and stop admiring his own play". sure, it's different part of the ice and Rinaldo's hit is not clean. but come one...

don't like this call, at all...

Edited by akustyk