link
lighten up people, it's the internet!

#2 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,022 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 07:33 PM

I'm a little surprised honestly, though I'm guessing the suspension is in great part to Rinaldo being fined recently for a slew foot and a late hit in the same game.

In watching the video a few times, it looks like Rinaldo ends up leaving his feet in part because he put on the brakes before he hit E. Probably because he knew he didn't want to hit the boards at that speed. Though even had he not gone flying into the air, Rinaldo has Ericsson lined up from the blueline and takes at least 6 full strides to hit him.

#3 arag

arag

1st Line Sniper

• HoF Booster
  • 782 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 07:35 PM

link

Good. That is what the players will get for taking a run at softer players.

#4 miller76

miller76

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 2,719 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 07:37 PM

Shanny explained in great detail the reasoning. The comparison with the line, and height difference between the two players, and the obvious launching of himself. I doubt he would have gotten anything other than a 2500 dollar slap, but history caught up to him on this one.

Shanny :clap:

:lol:

#5 arag

arag

1st Line Sniper

• HoF Booster
  • 782 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 07:39 PM

Shanny explained in great detail the reasoning. The comparison with the line, and height difference between the two players, and the obvious launching of himself. I doubt he would have gotten anything other than a 2500 dollar slap, but history caught up to him on this one.

Shanny :clap:

Shanny is doing a great job out there.
That contact was totally unnecessary.
Good that Big E did not get hurt.

#6 syntax

syntax

Join the Empire!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,885 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 07:41 PM

Totally called this in the GDT last night, while some people said BigRig had his head down were actually sticking up for the d-bag Rinaldo.
Go figure.
The Vladinator He earned the NHL Plus/Minus Award in 1995-96, with a plus/minus difference of plus-60. The +60 has been the highest rating a player has finished with in the past 20 seasons, since Wayne Gretzky finished with a +70 in the 1986-87 NHL season

Pavel Datsyuk > x (where x is the name of any active hockey player)

#7 wings1110

wings1110

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 07:44 PM

dont know if that deserved a suspension... Ericsson shouldn't have been looking behind him. These concussion rules are so dumb (not that this was a hit to the head).

#8 miller76

miller76

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 2,719 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 07:53 PM

dont know if that deserved a suspension... Ericsson shouldn't have been looking behind him. These concussion rules are so dumb (not that this was a hit to the head).

head shot never even came up. The issue is he launched himself, which is against the rules, plus he has history.

Kronwall delivered a nice hit last night, and never left his feet. He never launched himself into the player, he stood him up. The game needs more hits like this, and less players retaliating for quality checks.

#9 Jesusberg

Jesusberg

1st Line All-Star

• Gold Booster
  • 1,719 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 08:29 PM

Didn't expect the suspension.

Cue the slappies on HF talking about how the Red Wings get preferential treatment, though.

#10 kipwinger

kipwinger

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,004 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 09:39 PM

In all seriousness I'm not trying to be a smart ass or passive aggressive when I ask this. What's the difference between leaving your feet in this case, and leaving your feet like Kronwall does on a lot of his hits? I don't know the rule so I don't understand the suspension here. Is it because he took the long run at Big E, or because he jumped upward and into Ericsson? Shanny didn't say anything about the head so it couldn't be any targeting issue. Does the intent matter here? Like if you intend to leave your feet it's suspension worthy but if you just happen to come off your feet because of the speed/force of a legal hit it's ok? Seriously, if anybody knows the rule on this and how it's interpreted I'd love to know it.

Here's a link to the Kronwall hit on Kesler earlier this season. If you pause it at :39 seconds you'll see Kronwall way up off the ice. This is why I'm confused about the leaving your feet thing.

Edited by kipwinger, 13 February 2012 - 09:45 PM.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#11 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,022 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 10:03 PM

In all seriousness I'm not trying to be a smart ass or passive aggressive when I ask this. What's the difference between leaving your feet in this case, and leaving your feet like Kronwall does on a lot of his hits? I don't know the rule so I don't understand the suspension here. Is it because he took the long run at Big E, or because he jumped upward and into Ericsson? Shanny didn't say anything about the head so it couldn't be any targeting issue. Does the intent matter here? Like if you intend to leave your feet it's suspension worthy but if you just happen to come off your feet because of the speed/force of a legal hit it's ok? Seriously, if anybody knows the rule on this and how it's interpreted I'd love to know it.

Here's a link to the Kronwall hit on Kesler earlier this season. If you pause it at :39 seconds you'll see Kronwall way up off the ice. This is why I'm confused about the leaving your feet thing.

It's a good question. Honestly I think there's a fair number of Kronwall's hits that are borderline because of how he launches himself.

Looking at this one comparing to Rinaldo's, I'd say Kronner's skates don't get nearly as high off the ice, and because he's coming in backwards he actually isn't launching himself like he often does. His left skate looks like it's basically on the ice through most of the hit.

With Rinaldo's hit I'd have to think it was the long run-up combined with the jump as he stopped. Like I said I'm a little surprised at the suspension but the guy was just fined for a late hit and a slewfoot very recently. Shanny may just be sick of seeing his name come across his desk.

#12 Holmstrom96

Holmstrom96

Banned Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,616 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 10:46 PM

Shanny's video explains it rather well. He must certainly did launch up.

Being a dick last week + head-hunter this week = 2 game suspension

I thought a single game would have been what I gave him, but I haven't seen video from the slew foot.

Maybe the jarring impact will make Ericsson suck less.

#13 jollymania

jollymania

Heavy Hitter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,610 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 11:01 PM

bogus, 2 min was enough, although it should have been supplemented by an ass beating.
"I assure you the hits along the boards he(Aaron Downey) constantly threw SEVERAL TIMES EVERY SHIFT were far more damaging hits that what Kronwall throws."
- uk_redwing
HockeyArchive Twitter

#14 sandyeggo wingnut

sandyeggo wingnut

Rookie

• Pip
  • 125 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 11:49 PM

I've noticed something this year, Kronwall is leading ass first rather than shoulder first on a lot more of his hits. Granted, the hit on Kessler was borderline, and could arguably be considered suspension worthy...HOWEVER I'm wondering how much of that is "anticipation" and just "missed timing" than anything. IOW is it just the fact that he was lightening himself off his skates and mistimed it slightly? If he stayed down, feet heavy, what would happen? The biggest difference here is that Rinaldo's head was even with Ericsson's at contact...even though Ericsson is what, four inches taller? (although if our favorite s***box had kept hisf****** HEAD UP I don't think the hit even connects...)

#15 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,338 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 12:45 AM

Good penalty since it was a textbook charge. But I didn't see a need for a suspension.
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#16 Wings_Dynasty

Wings_Dynasty

The Greatest Ever

• HoF Booster
  • 3,816 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 01:43 AM

Posted Image

Current LGW Whippin' Boy: Referees

HTBanner400x100.jpg

#17 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,696 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 01:51 AM

Every minor penalty warrants a suspension.

Keep up the good work, Shanny.
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#18 auxlepli

auxlepli

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,762 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 01:53 AM

Honestly, I thought the two minutes was enough. I was surprised to see the suspension too.
Like others have posted, what's the difference between Kronwall's hit and Rinaldo's hit? They both left their feet.

#19 auxlepli

auxlepli

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,762 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 02:01 AM

OK. Rewatched. The difference might be that Kronwall turned to his back and didn't target the head.

#20 Sprsquirt7

Sprsquirt7

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 09:17 AM

The suspension was a message more than a direct punishment for the hit. It was a borderline hit with him leaving his feet. If this was the first time he had gotten into trouble or had been a clean player beforehand he would likely get away with a fine or less. But he had two fines from one game last week in which he was let off easy, you only get so many chances with shanahan. This is a culmination suspension.