• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 toby91_ca

toby91_ca

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 8,448 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 10:05 AM

OK. Rewatched. The difference might be that Kronwall turned to his back and didn't target the head.

Rinaldo didn't target the head either though. I agreed with everything Shanny said, it was clearly a charge, which is why it should have been a penalty. I don't see why there is a suspension though. I guess what Rinaldo did last week weighed heavily into this as I don't see how what he did is worse than what Kronwall has done...see earlier video in this thread.

Leaving your feet to make a hit does not = suspension automatically. In a lot of cases, such a hit may target the head and will be suspensions, but when they don't, I think it's just a charging penalty.

He didn't target the head and the NHL agrees he didn't, otherwise, he would have gotten more than 2 games. If they wanted to suspend him, they should have done so last week.

dont know if that deserved a suspension... Ericsson shouldn't have been looking behind him. These concussion rules are so dumb (not that this was a hit to the head).

You are correct, Big E shouldn't have been doing what he did, but that doesn't mean he should get hit the way he did. I agree with no suspension though.

#22 cnot19

cnot19

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 544 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 10:18 AM

Thought the two minute penalty was enough.
Get me a real fourth line Kenny!

#23 jfranzen

jfranzen

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 11:40 AM

Kronner gets away with a lot of his hits because A) He doesn't target the head B) He doesn't lead with his elbows/shoulders and C) he's not taking 5-6 power strides to run guys into end boards. He does leave his feet on about 80% of those hits and even most of those they come off the ice after he's made contact. In the cases where he does leave his feet, its only by a few inches. Possibly enough to warrant a charging call, but he's adapted to the new rules quite well by not leading with his shoulders anymore. Skating backwards is a creative way to circumvent the wording of the rules regarding charging.

I think the suspension has less to do with the actual hit itself and more to do with recent fines. Rinaldo had the right idea, just poor execution. 1 game would have been more appropriate.
I'm offended that you're offended.

#24 MTU_Huskies963

MTU_Huskies963

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,810 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 01:50 PM

He skated hard from center ice to deliver a blow to the head, good suspension after his actions last week.

From an article on ESPN New York

The league fined Philadelphia's Zac Rinaldo $5,000 -- $2,500 for two separate incidents -- following the Devils' 6-4 win over the Flyers Saturday.

Rinaldo was fined for a late hit on Devils center Jacob Josefson at 12:51 of the second period and a slew-foot on Devils captain Zach Parise after the whistle at 11:38 of the third.

"I was surprised, definitely, to be fined, but I have a good deal of respect for [league disciplinarian] Brendan Shanahan," Rinaldo told ESPNNewYork.com Sunday morning. "It comes with my style of play. As long as it's not a suspension, I'm fine with it."

Rinaldo's hit on Josefson earned him a minor interference penalty, but the slew-foot on Parise, which the league deemed "a dangerous trip," received no call.

"The slew-foot really shouldn't be in the game but 6-nothing we were down and someone had to stir the pot," Rinaldo said.

The 21-year-old forward said he realizes the effort being made to clean up the game and found the conversation with Shanahan helpful.

"Realistically, I don't think I deserved the fines, but in this day and age with the league the way it is, I have to agree with it."

The guy is not the brightest, and shanny is noticing he is not getting the message. This is why I am ok with 2 games.

#25 akustyk

akustyk

how painful is painful?

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,170 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 02:11 PM

personally, I don't like this decision. Rinaldo makes two bad decision in short span of time, agreed.... but suspension?

I'd rather see Ericsson stop admiring his own passes and watch out when standing behind the goal and being free target for anyone charging from middle field. period.
I can only repeat Clarke's comment after Umberger got destroyed by Campbell (see: http://www.youtube.c...h?v=XD03ut-iUzg ): "kid needs to grow up and stop admiring his own play". sure, it's different part of the ice and Rinaldo's hit is not clean. but come one...

don't like this call, at all...

Edited by akustyk, 14 February 2012 - 02:17 PM.