• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Jedi

Rick Nash "available for the right team/price"

Rate this topic

Got to think Columbus could command a high price for him...

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=387786

The 2012 NHL trade deadline just got a whole lot more interesting.

Last night, RDS (TSN's French language sister station) reporter Renaud Lavoie reported that Columbus Blue Jacket franchise player Rick Nash "is on the market."

This morning, Columbus Dispatch reporter Aaron Portzline wrote on his blog that "for the first time, (the Blue Jackets) are willing to listen to offers for captain Rick Nash."

While it's easy, and sometime necessary, to get hung on precise terminology on a story like this one -- the differences between "on the market" as opposed to "listening to offers" as opposed to "being shopped" -- here's the bottom line:

Last week, in no uncertain terms, NHL teams were told Nash was not available and this week, he is. For the right team, anyway.

Less than two weeks to the NHL trade deadline, that is nothing less than a seismic shift.

That doesn't mean he'll necessarily be traded by the deadline but it does mean there has been a significant change in his status from last week to this week.

And while sources have confirmed to TSN what Lavoie and Portzline respectively reported in the last 12 hours, the real story is this:

None of this would or could be happening if Rick Nash didn't want it to happen.

As one source asked rhetorically, "How does a player with a No Movement Clause end up in trade talk?"

Easy answer to that one: because he's permitted it.

Understand this, with a player of Nash's stature -- a first overall draft pick, the face and identity of the Blue Jackets' franchise, a world-class talent and Canadian Olympian with an outstanding international hockey resume -- there is no chance that Columbus general manager Scott Howson would get involved in any trade talk for Nash without the player's blessing.

He couldn't. It would be worse than bad form.

For any GM to even entertain offers on a star player with a no-move clause without that player's tacit approval is a cardinal sin. There are few secrets in this game and if a GM "shopped" or "listened" to offers on a NMC star it's only a matter of time until the word filters back to the player and that would represent a huge violation of trust between the player and the organization.

So for Howson to have discussions with any team, and for other NHL teams to know the Jackets are to some degree open for business on Nash, one must conclude that Nash is fully on board with whatever it is that is happening right now.

That doesn't necessarily means he's asked for a trade or that he's unequivocally stated he wants to escape from the chronic losing in Columbus. But he's said something and whether he initiated it -- which is the usual protocol in these instances -- or the Blue Jackets broached the subject with him and he merely responded to them, the inescapable conclusion is Howson's actions thus far have the Rick Nash seal of approval.

This story wouldn't have gotten to the public domain if that weren't true.

These things are always dicey. No franchise player wants to be perceived as wanting to jump ship. Just because the Blue Jackets are listening to offers doesn't mean a deal gets done and Nash may have to remain in Columbus.

And this story leaking out as it has further complicates things for Nash and the Blue Jackets.

One would imagine that Nash has an extremely limited list of destinations he would deem suitable. Standard protocol in this situation would be for the player to give the GM the greenlight to deal only with a select few clubs. But with the news breaking that Nash may be available for trade, Howson's phone will light up like a Christmas tree. About half the teams in the league would have interest in trying to secure this player, but there are probably only a handful, or less, that interest Nash.

Make no mistake, though, by virtue of his NMC, Nash is totally driving the bus on this. He effectively can dictate how many teams are legitimately in the hunt for his services and ultimately which one is his final destination. Or, at any time he sees fit, he can end the process if he's uncomfortable with it in any regard.

Ultimately, it's in his hands and his hands alone.

Guest Hatethedrake!

I'd love for the Wings to get Rick Nash but it will likely not happen. Columbus is going to want current blue chip players who are in the league now. To trade the face of your franchise always puts the GM's job on the line. Most of the time, the return is not very good anyway. For a team like the Wings to make such a trade, they would have to give up too much of their depth which in turn would actually make them worse. Depth is one of the reasons why the Wings are always at the top of the NHL each season. I'd sooner go with what we have right now and on July 1st go after Parise and Suter and give up no assets and just add to an already deep roster. If Nash is available, I would expect Burke to be the favourite here. He would likely use the same template he used when he acquired Pronger when he was the Ducks GM. 5 assets for 1 player.

ESPN has been reporting Nash to NYR for a package including Dubinsky. As much as I think the Rangers are born losers with no hope of consistency, they would be lethal with the addition of Nash...as would any playoff bound team. Here's hoping he narrows his list down to Detroit and Detroit. I'd give Franzen and pick/prospect for him yesterday if I could.

I'd love for the Wings to get Rick Nash but it will likely not happen. Columbus is going to want current blue chip players who are in the league now. To trade the face of your franchise always puts the GM's job on the line. Most of the time, the return is not very good anyway. For a team like the Wings to make such a trade, they would have to give up too much of their depth which in turn would actually make them worse. Depth is one of the reasons why the Wings are always at the top of the NHL each season. I'd sooner go with what we have right now and on July 1st go after Parise and Suter and give up no assets and just add to an already deep roster. If Nash is available, I would expect Burke to be the favourite here. He would likely use the same template he used when he acquired Pronger when he was the Ducks GM. 5 assets for 1 player.

Agreed on pretty much every point. Plus, rumors I've seen suggest Burke is VERY interested in making a really big deadline deal. Nash is about as big as it gets.

I'd give Franzen and pick/prospect for him yesterday if I could.

To Wings:

$7.8 million dollar cap hit (Nash)

To Jackets:

$3.95 million dollar cap hit (Franzen) + highly rated prospect.

You've also not only just strengthened a team in your own conference, but in your own division as well as doubled your cap hit for half the players.

Edited by Esquire

Guest Hatethedrake!

For discussion sake...if you were Holland, would you be willing to give up Callahan, Smith, Mrazek, 1st and a 2nd for Nash? I wouldn't. This is the kind of deal I could see Burke making. Gut the future of your franchise for 1 player? Not worth it.

Edited by Hatethedrake!

To Wings:

$7.8 million dollar cap hit (Nash)

To Jackets:

$3.95 million dollar cap hit + highly rated prospect.

You've also not only just strengthened a team in your own division, but in your own conference as well as doubled your cap hit for half the players.

You've strengthened each team and considering it looks like we were going to go after an elite winger in the off season you can avoid that and just add secondary scoring at the July 1, deadline. If you added Nash you wouldn't have to chase Parise July 1 as it seems likely we'll try to do. Plus, I'm not really worried about strengthening a terrible team, that is, if you consider losing Nash and gaining Franzen an improvement.

Note: Now that I think about it you wouldn't even have to chase secondary scoring in the off season if you already had Nash. Just promote from within. Holmstrom is likely leaving, so Nyquist will likely go up. So...

Bertuzzi-Pav-Nash

Flippula-Zetterberg-Hudler/Nyquist and so on.

I like it.

Edited by kipwinger

You've strengthened each team and considering it looks like we were going to go after an elite winger in the off season you can avoid that and just add secondary scoring at the July 1, deadline. If you added Nash you wouldn't have to chase Parise July 1 as it seems likely we'll try to do. Plus, I'm not really worried about strengthening a terrible team, that is, if you consider losing Nash and gaining Franzen an improvement.

In taking on the Nash contract, you just lost $3.9 million extra dollars to boost your secondary scoring instead of waiting to go after someone like Parise in the offseason. At which time, a FAR more sensible contract with a far less cap hit could be negotiated.

Hell, even if you took Parise at his current price alone you would be saving $1.8 million as well as holding onto Franzen AND your prospect.

See now, this is the kind of deal Holland would entertain. As in: not a rental.

Nash gives you a true power forward for the next 7 years, cap hit be damned. Also, Babcock loves the guy.

Hopefully there's more to this than is being reported. Hopefully Nash is demanding a trade, tired of losing. If this is a case, I think his list of go-to teams would be slim. Assuming he gives Columbus a list heavy on contenders, Detroit being one of them, then you have to look at cap space. The Red Wings have plenty, not just this year, but moving forward, which gives them an edge.

To Columbus:

2012 1st

Filpulla

Tatar

To Detroit:

Nash

Not sure if this would even do it and I'm not sure that I'd pull the trigger on this either. Just speculating.

In taking on the Nash contract, you just lost $3.9 million extra dollars to boost your secondary scoring instead of waiting to go after someone like Parise in the offseason. At which time, a FAR more sensible contract with a far less cap hit could be negotiated.

Hell, even if you took Parise at his current price alone you would be saving $1.8 million as well as holding onto Franzen AND your prospect.

I'm suggesting increasing primary scoring as I see Nash as a huge improvement over Franzen, and getting my secondary scoring from one of our younger guys. I see your point here, I really do, and I think it's really a matter of preference, but I think Parise is going to go for around 7+ and want something relatively long term as well. Adding that much contract without offsetting some of it via trade, severely limits our options when it comes to replacing Lidstrom and Stuart if both should leave.

Additionally, Nash only has seven more years on the contract, making him 34 when it runs out, so it's not like we'll be paying for some washed up fourth liner at that point.

Edited by kipwinger

Nash is on the market and there are several teams that are interested in him.

Holland won't get into a bidding war and I don't think Holland will go near Nash unless he gets some sort of inside track and is told her has priority. Only then will he make an attempt to acquire Nash.

I'm suggesting increasing primary scoring as I see Nash as a huge improvement over Franzen, and getting my secondary scoring from one of our younger guys. I see your point here, I really do, and I think it's really a matter of preference, but I think Parise is going to go for around 7+ and want something relatively long term as well. Adding that much contract without offsetting some of it via trade, severely limits our options when it comes to replacing Lidstrom and Stuart if both should leave.

Additionally, Nash only has seven more years on the contract, making him 34 when it runs out, so it's not like we'll be paying for some washed up fourth liner at that point.

And I see your point as well, but has anyone really asked themselves, "Do the Red Wings even NEED Rick Nash?"

A huge reason we're successful throughout the years is depth, and a trade for Nash critically hinders that depth not only for the remainder of this season, but for seasons to come. The "promoting from within" you speak of can't happen if you trade for Nash because the players you are hoping to promote are unquestionably going to be shipped to Columbus to get Nash. The Jackets aren't giving up Nash for some shot in the dark kids, they're gonna want kids who are ready to play now, which means Tatar/Nyqvist/Smith etc.

Also, even if Parise wants 7+ in the off-season, he's got 3 extra years on Nash to spread it out and the Wings would have a much clearer picture in the off-season of who is/isn't staying before committing to a gigantic contract like Nash's.

Oh, and there's also that little thing called the CBA which is a whole nightmare altogether. Who knows how it's going to change our spending.

Morale of my rant: No thanks. Hope he lands on his feet somewhere other than Detroit.

Franzen has a playoff record like no other. Keep him always.

Filp has been an awesome alround performer on the ice, and this year he is having the breakout production year we knew he was capable of having. He does more things better than Nash. Keep him.

We have a ton of depth, a ton, wich translates to assets.

Hudler has been very good this year, but we ultimately want to get bigger, stronger, faster, and score more. Plus, he gets knocked off the puck too easily come playoff time. And he let us know in his own terms (by going to KHL at the last minute after we already made player movements to committ to him) that there is no family loyalty between he and the Wings.

Hudler will atleast alleviate some of the scoring loss for Columbus. The fact that he is too small, slow, and weak for playoff hockey should be a moot point with Columbus. :lol:

Package Hudler and Kindl with a balance of picks and prospects that we are comfortable with and hope for the best. If it doesn't work, we have lost nothing. If it does work, we have lost minimal and gained more than we ever could have hoped for.

Sell, Kenny, sell that deal!

Columbus will demand a very high price for him, but this is one bidding war I would be glad for holland to get involved in. Who knows whether lidstrom and homer will be here next year, and dats and Z aren't getting any younger. Couple that with the almost certainty that Stuart (who I think has been our best defenseman this year, I'm ready for the flame wars) will be gone and you have a situation where you have to pull the trigger on something. I don't want to look back at this year and think "what if...".

Besides; we have our draft picks, we have a cupboard full of prospects, we have three lines worth of bottom six responsible role players, and we have the cap space. I don't know how much more of an ideal trade situation you can ask for. I never thought I'd say this but I'm ready and willing to overpay for Rick Nash to play on a line with Datsyuk.

Guest Hatethedrake!

Filp has been an awesome alround performer on the ice, and this year he is having the breakout production year we knew he was capable of having. He does more things better than Nash. Keep him.

Hudler has been very good this year, but we ultimately want to get bigger, stronger, faster, and score more. Plus, he gets knocked off the puck too easily come playoff time. And he let us know in his own terms (by going to KHL at the last minute after we already made player movements to committ to him) that there is no family loyalty between he and the Wings.

Hudler will atleast alleviate some of the scoring loss for Columbus. The fact that he is too small, slow, and weak for playoff hockey should be a moot point with Columbus. :lol:

Package Hudler and Kindl with a balance of picks and prospects that we are comfortable with and hope for the best. If it doesn't work, we have lost nothing. If it does work, we have lost minimal and gained more than we ever could have hoped for.

If Kenny can get Nash for that price then he should have a bronze statue of himself erected outside the Joe. :lol:

Edited by Hatethedrake!

I don't want to let go of Mule or Flip either, but unless we throw a bank full of prospects along, Jiri Hudler being the main player being exchanged for Rick Nash is just not going to happen, IMO. Rick Nash. First overall pick Rick Nash. Face of a franchise Rick Nash. Jiri Hudler. KHL Jiri Hudler. UFC fan Jiri Hudler. Just doesn't make sense to me. But yeah, make it happen Kenny! I would love it as a Wings fan.

Guest stinky fish taco

Package Hudler and Kindl with a balance of picks and prospects that we are comfortable with and hope for the best. If it doesn't work, we have lost nothing.

let me save you some trouble - it won't work.

The only big plus in trading Franzen for Nash, which seems the popular suggestion, is the 5 year age difference. But Detroit would also have to throw in a top prospect or two, and maybe even a top draft pick. Is that a wise trade? Franzen has 22 goals, Nash, 18. Franzen is proven playoff performer, Nash has 1 goal in 4 games, which, yeah, is not necessarily his fault. I don't know?

I still don't understand why so many people are against Jeff Carter, who is younger, right-handed, has been a more prolific goal scorer over the last three seasons, and who could be had for half of what it would cost to acquire Nash. All because of "character" issues? Give me a break.

Nash is the better all-around player, yes, but Holland would have to work a miracle to get him, and you can say goodbye to Franzen or Filppula, along with Nyguist AND Smith. That's what I would ask for to give him to divisional rival if I were Scott Howson, especially with some of the offers that other teams might make. But Rangers fans are dreamin' if they think Nash can be had for Dubinsky, Kreider and a 1st rounder. Howson would lose his job.

Give 'em Tatar and 1st rounder for Carter, bolstering that second line, move Hudler to the 3rd line, hello Stanley Cup!

although he would be a hit in Detroit, the asking price is going to be too high. Also someone pointed out that our main priority in the offseason could be to replace 2 of our top 4 D, and that aint going to be cheap. So to give up the assests CBJ will want and take on the $7.8m contract as well as finding 2 top tier D in the summer (possably) will have Kennys work cut out. Sheahan, Jurco, Tvrdon or Pulkkinen one of these could turn out to be the

goalscorer we need and one of these would def be on CBJ list for Nash.

Nice thought but to much to lose in the long run.

Agreed on pretty much every point. Plus, rumors I've seen suggest Burke is VERY interested in making a really big deadline deal. Nash is about as big as it gets.

I'm hearing talk about it on TSN Radio. I'd be surprised if Burke could get Nash, other teams have more talent they can trade. Plus the Leafs are up against the cap. I would think Columbus would want young players back who don't have big salaries.

let me save you some trouble - it won't work.

Yea with the Datsyuk, Zetterberg, and Franzen contacts on the books, we won't be trading for another high priced forward.