• Please log in to reply
185 replies to this topic

#41 Ram

Ram

Goose

• Bronze Booster
  • 757 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 01:13 PM

I would be shocked - SHOCKED - if Holland hasn't at least talked to Howson about it. Nash could fill a serious hole with the Wings AND he's not old. It would literally be like picking up Shanny back in the day.

Nothing. They have figured out the arena financing issue with the city and Nationwide. If they get a haul for Nash I think they will be ok going forward. It sucks for them, because Nash has been the face of the franchise for a long time now, but I think they'll emerge from it better in the long term.

Nash is young, but I would disagree that they are filling a "serious hole". Our forward pool is deep, IMO. The serious hole will be a D-man moving forward.

That is understandable. State of the art complex there, all star game next year...just wondering if the following is deep enough at this point.

Edited by Ram, 14 February 2012 - 01:13 PM.

"Hey @Datsyuk13 really bro? On my bday...cmonnnn.. Someone fix that ice in the corner.." - @logancouture

#42 redwingfan19

redwingfan19

On a mission

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,523 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 01:14 PM

One thing to remember is that the Canucks have something to offer which Columbus really needs. A potential franchise goalie who is ready NOW. If the Canucks are willing to part with Corey Schneider, I would think the Blue Jackets would have to favour them. The Kings could offer a package around maybe Jack Johnson and Jonathan Bernier. Bernier is also ready now for a chance to be a #1 goalie. The Canucks with the Sisters, Kesler and Nash up front would be hard to beat.

Wow, never thought about that until now. It has been rumored that Howson wants young roster players instead of picks/prospects. If Vancouver wants Nash they will get him. Schnider and Hodgson = done deal.
You may not like tough hockey, but it's winning hockey.

Mitch Callahan: 48GP, 6G, 3A, 9PTS,+/- -3, 103PIMS

14 Fighting Majors

#43 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,055 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 01:15 PM

I think getting Nash would have damn near the same impact of us getting Shanahan back in the day. To bad that a cap system is in place now, if it wasn't for it he would already be a Wings player IMO.

I agree.

Reading around, it seems the BJs are wanting for players on the blue line and in net, which is the area we are weak. Gots tons of depth at Forward and in the prospects pool to deal though, and with the potential loss of Stuart and Lidstrom, I think Smith is untouchable. And we definately have the cap space which a lot of potential suitors/ teams favoured by Nash may not.

And you got to look at what similar players have gone for recently. Heatley went for Havlat straight up. Hossa and Kovulchuck went for a whole lot of nothing (granted they were pending UFAs). These deals are typically 1 or 2 roster players, a prospect and a 1st.
"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#44 Hockey13Playa

Hockey13Playa

Here's my card.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,413 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 01:17 PM

Why would they trade him in the division?

Well its Nash's call or its a no go. If wants to play for Detroit, Columbus sucks it up and trades him for a return or they keep him. Division trades do happen, maybe not as much as outside of the division but its possible. Its even more likely when a player has a NTC.

Do I think the Wings will actually get Rick Nash? Eh not really; probably slim to none. But hey I would love the guy to be a Red Wing. Did I think we had a shot at Hossa? Hell no! Hasek? Hell no! Those both happend. Look at what we traded for Hasek too... (yeah he was getting somewhat older but still). s***, even look at the Tigers signing Prince Fielder... Detroit was NEVER mentioned and wasn't considered an option and then BAM, they signed him. Yes we are talking about a trade here but my point is it is a possibility, just an unlikely one.

As far as who I would give up...? Hard choice. Wings draft scouts seem to always pick "diamonds in the rough" (solid late round picks) so I wouldn't be mad if they traded a 1st/2nd rounder or two. I'd try to sell them on picks and some of our replaceable prospects. I wouldn't mind trading Emmerton, Mursak, etc. No way I'd trade Jurco, Smith, Nyquist. I'd consider trading Tatar as well. Maybe sell them on that their goaltending is awful and add McColloum? Roster players I'd consider moving are ALMOST any of the bottom six. As good as Filppula is doing, trade him while hes "on the up". NASH >>>> FILPPULA! I'd want to hang on to Franzen, but I would exchange him in Flippula's spot. Erricsson can go as well if they want him. I would like to think some kind of package of the names and picks I stated would work... Again though in all reality I give Detroit a 0-12% chance of landing Nash.

Posted Image

#45 MidMichSteve

MidMichSteve

Thanks to #5

• HoF Booster
  • 4,226 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 01:27 PM

Which teams have the cap space to sign him?

St. Louis would scare me the most if they picked up Nash. They could offer a starting goalie in either Halak or Elliott. They also have a plethora of good, young players to offer.

If Nashville was able to get Nash, Suter and Weber might be willing to stay on.

Edited by MidMichSteve, 14 February 2012 - 02:45 PM.

From now on, Patrick Roy will be rolled out to and from the Avs' bench like Hannibal Lecter. - BottleOfSmoke

#46 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,931 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 01:35 PM

I would be shocked - SHOCKED - if Holland hasn't at least talked to Howson about it. Nash could fill a serious hole with the Wings AND he's not old. It would literally be like picking up Shanny back in the day.

Nothing. They have figured out the arena financing issue with the city and Nationwide. If they get a haul for Nash I think they will be ok going forward. It sucks for them, because Nash has been the face of the franchise for a long time now, but I think they'll emerge from it better in the long term.

He's definitely not old, but picking up Shanny was in the pre-cap era.

If Holland were to bring on Nash he'd have $21 million tied up in 3 forwards for two seasons, then have to re-sign Datsyuk with Z and Nash still accounting for over $14 mill a year thru 2020. And somewhere in there he's got to try and fill the massive hole in the blueline when Lidstrom retires. Another issue is that though he's young, Nash seems to have chronic back problems.

Never say never but I'd be surprised if Kenny made such a radical move like that.

#47 Hatethedrake!

Hatethedrake!

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,496 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 01:36 PM

Wow, never thought about that until now. It has been rumored that Howson wants young roster players instead of picks/prospects. If Vancouver wants Nash they will get him. Schnider and Hodgson = done deal.

Hockey wise, the Canucks make sense as they could offer Schneider. I agree that Hodgson would also likely be part of the deal. The only problem for Vancouver is that they lack the Cap space to make this trade. Columbus would likely have to accept a guy like Ballard as part of the trade to make the Canucks fit under the Cap.

The Bruins could make a serious pitch if they offered up Tukka Rask as he is also ready to be a number 1 goalie. I'd also think dman Dougie Hamilton would have to a part of the deal. The Bruins have more Cap space than the Canucks do plus Horton is on IR which opens up even more room. The Rangers have the young players to offer but not the young franchise goalie (Lundqvist is not going anywhere of course) Columbus will be surely looking for in any potential Nash trade.
Jordan Tootoo will wreck shop.

We need someone like Parise that can penetrate the box.-blueadams

#48 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,931 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 01:38 PM

One thing to remember is that the Canucks have something to offer which Columbus really needs. A potential franchise goalie who is ready NOW. If the Canucks are willing to part with Corey Schneider, I would think the Blue Jackets would have to favour them. The Kings could offer a package around maybe Jack Johnson and Jonathan Bernier. Bernier is also ready now for a chance to be a #1 goalie. The Canucks with the Sisters, Kesler and Nash up front would be hard to beat.

I could see the Kings taking a serious look, for the reasons you mention, plus their massive problems scoring goals. Even trading Johnson though, I'm not sure they could fit Nash in under the cap.

Hmm. though I guess Penner is a UFA the end of this season (good riddance).

#49 dragonballgtz

dragonballgtz

Yu-Gi-HOE

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,407 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 01:39 PM

Nucks don't have the cap space and I don't think LA would be Nash's choice destination.

The Bruins could make a serious pitch if they offered up Tukka Rask as he is also ready to be a number 1 goalie.

No way the Bruins give up Rask with Thomas being 37 years old.

Edited by dragonballgtz, 14 February 2012 - 01:44 PM.

#50 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,695 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 01:48 PM

If Holland were to bring on Nash he'd have $21 million tied up in 3 forwards for two seasons, then have to re-sign Datsyuk with Z and Nash still accounting for over $14 mill a year thru 2020. And somewhere in there he's got to try and fill the massive hole in the blueline when Lidstrom retires. Another issue is that though he's young, Nash seems to have chronic back problems.

Never say never but I'd be surprised if Kenny made such a radical move like that.

Chronic back problems? He's played less than 75 games twice in his career and one of those years he played 74 games.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#51 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,612 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 01:49 PM

See, I knew that 'Seven Person March" would get results.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#52 Hatethedrake!

Hatethedrake!

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,496 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 01:53 PM

Nucks don't have the cap space and I don't think LA would be Nash's choice destination.

No way the Bruins give up Rask with Thomas being 37 years old.

I can play this game too. It's fun...Teams can always make cap space to fill their immediate needs. Bury players in the minors, make salary dump trades (players for prospects), waive players (and hope they are claimed). If the Canucks want Nash bad enough and offer the players Columbus requires then it can mostly certainly happen.

I never said Boston WOULD trade Rask in a deal for Nash. I said they COULD.

It's easy to shoot down any potential deals any of us think MAY happen. I'm curious to know what YOU think it would take to get Nash and which team(s) are involved. Then I can shoot them down.
Jordan Tootoo will wreck shop.

We need someone like Parise that can penetrate the box.-blueadams

#53 Jedi

Jedi

Spell Forged - Unparalleled Quality

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 9,808 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 01:54 PM

Not to mention the uncertainty with the new CBA, and what rules/restrictions that might come about when it's hammered out...

snyoep.jpg
"I am the sword in the darkness... I am the watcher on the walls...
I am the shield that guards the realms of men..."

#54 Red Crazy

Red Crazy

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 02:04 PM

I think Holland needs to at the least see what it would cost. My guess is that Nash gave a list of teams that he would go to. If Detroit is on the list then we have a good chance. I would trade Franzen over Flip just because I think in the years to come Flip has more upside. Franzen is a great player but he is streaky and lazy at times. Rick Nash brings everything to the table that Franzen does but I think Nash is a better all around player. Nash has put up some great numbers in his career with no help. Franzen plays with the leagues best and his numbers are just o.k. I am a Mule fan and I would do this trade in a minute.

I don't even want to think of the Canucks, Hawks, or Blues getting him.

#55 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,931 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 02:06 PM

Chronic back problems? He's played less than 75 games twice in his career and one of those years he played 74 games.

Nash injured his back last season and missed games because of it, but at the time I remember hearing it was not the first time he's had that same back problem. Just that when it flared up previously it wasn't bad enough for him to miss games.

I didn't say he had missed a bunch of games or he was totally damaged goods, but to me it does raise a little concern when you're talking about a big contract with 8 years left on it.

#56 Motown4013

Motown4013

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,067 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 02:08 PM

This to me all but confirms that Carter is going somewhere else.
I am sure that Part of Nash's negotiations were that management bring in some more talent for him to play with. Along comes Carter and it's a bust. If I am Nash and I know they are shopping the guy that is supposed to help me bring some wins to the team, I am pissed....and I have had enough.
I think this was just a matter of time. Nash played hard for the franchise but WTF....he is dying there.
As for his NTC I am sure that his list of potential destinations are slim but I would also be very surprised if Detroit wasn't on his wish list.
I think they are going to blow the entire team up and start again.
Raising another Red Wings Fan!

The future looks bright in Hockeytown!
GUSTAV SNIPEQUIST!

#57 dragonballgtz

dragonballgtz

Yu-Gi-HOE

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,407 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 02:17 PM

I can play this game too. It's fun...Teams can always make cap space to fill their immediate needs. Bury players in the minors, make salary dump trades (players for prospects), waive players (and hope they are claimed). If the Canucks want Nash bad enough and offer the players Columbus requires then it can mostly certainly happen.

I never said Boston WOULD trade Rask in a deal for Nash. I said they COULD.

It's easy to shoot down any potential deals any of us think MAY happen. I'm curious to know what YOU think it would take to get Nash and which team(s) are involved. Then I can shoot them down.

I'm honestly not sure where he would end up. But looking at how the Canucks have their money spread out they would have to move Kesler plus someone else or move a lot of depth in order to make up the cap difference. As for Boston again they could do it but future wise it won't make sense to pull the trigger on a trade involving Rask.

I can see the Hawks make an offer. Bye bye Kane & Hjalmarsson(sp). Not sure if Kane's NMC is active until 14-15 or it doesn't kick in until 14-15. Another team is the Leafs! :shifty:

I think they are going to blow the entire team up and start again.

They need to toss out the coaching staff and GM as well. Just a brutal organization from top to bottom.

Edited by dragonballgtz, 14 February 2012 - 02:27 PM.

#58 Wings_Toledo

Wings_Toledo

Seeing Red

• PipPipPipPip
  • 789 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 02:21 PM

Nash probably shouldn't have re-signed with Columbus and just gone to Free Agency when his last contract was up. I imagine a more competitive team would have given him a slighter bigger contract than what he has now. Plus, now any team he's traded to will have to give up quite a bit of depth to acquire him, thus slightly decreasing their playoff chances. Basically, I just think he was too loyal to a bad organization and now he and the Jackets are kind of in a tricky situation.

#59 Wings_Toledo

Wings_Toledo

Seeing Red

• PipPipPipPip
  • 789 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 02:26 PM

Which teams have the cap space to sign him?

St. Louis would scare me the most if they picked up Nash. They could offer a starting goalie in either Halak or Elliott. They also have a plethora of good, young players to offer.

If Nashville was able to get Nash, Sutter and Weber might be willing to stay on.

They'd probably trade Ben Bishop before Halak or Elliott, but they could package him with someone like Chris Stewart or David Perron and a couple of picks and that might be a starting point. The Blues definitely have the cap space to make it happen.

#60 Majsheppard

Majsheppard

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,512 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 02:35 PM

Zetterberg+ would be the cheapest we could get Nash, so let's not even talk about this.

I do think Boston would be the most likely Candidate for Nash, but I wonder if Tuks would be a part of it.

I would imagine that they would try to package Krejic and Horton would be a part of that trade in that trade.
"It is a lot easier to be an ******* to words than to people"-xkcd

Tootoo does NOT belong on this team. He is classless and I would rather see the Wings be bad than classless. I feel the same way about Bertuzzi as well, but he at least CAN make the team better. With Tootoo the team becomes worse and in danger of being classless. Would you have liked Claude on the team? Or Roy? No. So why would you be okay with that POS.

This thread has been closed due to emotions being higher than people's ability to read, interpret, and properly respond to simple posts.