• Please log in to reply
185 replies to this topic

#161 Drake_Marcus

Drake_Marcus

Pariah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,335 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 12:03 PM

Detroit is reportedly not on Nash's list of teams he wants to go to, which includes the Leafs, Bruins, Rangers, Sharks, and Kings.

Thank god! 7.8 mil until 2018 is too much to be committed to long term with Zetterberg and Franzen tied up to infinite contracts.
Dedicated to lulz once lost:
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

"We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas
of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage" --H.P. Lovecraft

#162 eva unit zero

eva unit zero

Save the Princess...Save the World

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,734 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 02:08 PM

Thank god! 7.8 mil until 2018 is too much to be committed to long term with Zetterberg and Franzen tied up to infinite contracts.

Why? Franzen will be retired by 2016, and his cap hit is actually pretty reasonable for a good top-six forward.

Although I agree that Nash's contract is ridiculous. Case in point, this year's stats:

Nash: 57 GP, 18-21-39
Hudler: 57 GP, 18-17-35

Now let's compare their ES numbers as Hudler plays the point on the PP and isn't really given any kind of comparable situation to score.

Nash: 57 GP, 14-11-25
Hudler: 57 GP, 17-12-29

Ice time at even strength?

Nash: 880:57, or 15:27 per game.
Hudler: 731:26, or 12:49 per game.

Hudler is better defensively than Nash, plays all three forward positions and can play the point on the PP. Nash plays one wing. Yet fans here want to trade high-end prospects AND top picks for Nash's $7.8m lifetime deal, but think bringing Hudler back in the $2.5-$3.5m range would be overpayment? Yes... let's agree to believe that.
"I've never seen a warlock do that without his magic."
"I once devoured a monk's soul. It tasted like chocolate."

#163 Drake_Marcus

Drake_Marcus

Pariah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,335 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 02:27 PM

Why? Franzen will be retired by 2016, and his cap hit is actually pretty reasonable for a good top-six forward.

Although I agree that Nash's contract is ridiculous. Case in point, this year's stats:

Now let's compare their ES numbers as Hudler plays the point on the PP and isn't really given any kind of comparable situation to score.

Hudler is better defensively than Nash, plays all three forward positions and can play the point on the PP. Nash plays one wing. Yet fans here want to trade high-end prospects AND top picks for Nash's $7.8m lifetime deal, but think bringing Hudler back in the $2.5-$3.5m range would be overpayment? Yes... let's agree to believe that.

I'm not sure Hudler could produce better numbers in Nash's position (the team's #1 forward, always the focus of the other team's best defensive players, etc) because Hudler thrives in a complementary role, but I see what you're getting at.

Let's put Rick Nash's cap hit into perspective here guys:

http://capgeek.com/l...ion=-1&limit=25

He's got the 5th highest cap hit in the entire league and sits 70th points (behind guys like Micheal-freaking-Ryder). Nash has only had one season over 70pts and that was in 08-09. In his last two seasons he produced 66pts and 67pts. Those aren't the kind of numbers you'd expect from a guy making almost 8 million a season. At a minimum he should be producing at a point per game level. I don't care how bad his supporting cast is. When you carry the 5th largest cap hit in the league and are signed until 2018 you better produce. On top of this he's never had a chance to prove he's a playoff performer at the NHL level (NHL Playoffs: 1g 2a in 4gp).

I'm hesitant to sign a life-time contract with a guy who's historically an underachiever at his paygrade.
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

#164 stinky fish taco

stinky fish taco

FEED ME NEGS

• Restricted
  • PipPipPip
  • 668 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 02:29 PM

i wish i could neg you 50 times for this

Helm is a perennial Selke candidate

LOL

#165 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 02:30 PM

Hudler praise

I agree that Nash is probably not worth is contract, but he's superior to Hudler in every category, far superior in some.

#166 Drake_Marcus

Drake_Marcus

Pariah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,335 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 02:41 PM

I agree that Nash is probably not worth is contract, but he's superior to Hudler in every category, far superior in some.

I certainly hope he's superior to Hudler. He makes nearly triple the salary and was selected 1st overall in his draft year. Hudler's a sub-3million dollar cap hit, complementary player. The fact that you can even make favourable statistical comparisons between Jiri Hudler and Rick Nash speaks volumes about how poorly Nash's year has gone.

If Columbus's GM were to call Holland and say "How about a Nash for Hudler swap" we all know Holland's response would be "LULZ, sweet dude. I'm in!".

Also I think I should summarize Eva's post for some of you:
Posted Image

Edited by Drake_Marcus, 17 February 2012 - 02:43 PM.

Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

#167 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,575 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 05:52 PM

So let me try to understand what you are saying....

Hudler is a superior hockey player to Nash. So if Nash is offered to Detroit for something reasonable that Holland had no problem giving up, he should pass on it because he has Hudler. The same Hudler that is superior to Nash. You know we are talking about Rick Nash right? Not Nash Bridges...

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

#168 EastonWings

EastonWings

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 320 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 04:40 AM

So let me try to understand what you are saying....

Hudler is a superior hockey player to Nash. So if Nash is offered to Detroit for something reasonable that Holland had no problem giving up, he should pass on it because he has Hudler. The same Hudler that is superior to Nash. You know we are talking about Rick Nash right? Not Nash Bridges...

The guy who wrote the comparisons of hudler and Nash forgot one important fact. Nash skating backwards is faster then hudler skating foward.

#169 The Production Line

The Production Line

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 06:00 PM

The Flyers seem to be in the thick of things now.

PHILADELPHIA -- Could the Flyers be the leader in the race to acquire Columbus Blue Jackets captain Rick Nash?

For the third straight game, a top Blue Jackets executive is here in Philadelphia. General manager Scott Howson was in attendance last Saturday for the Flyers-Rangers game and had two long conversations with Flyers GM Paul Holmgren. Blue Jackets senior advisor Craig Patrick was here for Thursday for a game against the Buffalo Sabres, and today both Howson and Patrick are here. Howson again spent time talking with Holmgren prior to the game.

Sources tell CSNPhilly.com's Tim Panaccio that the Flyers are listening and having serious discussions about the cost of acquiring Nash. Panaccio speculates that cost could be high.

"As for the asking price for a player of Nash's caliber? Probably Sean Couturier and Brayden Schenn," Panaccio wrote. "But … it may be something else. It may be James van Riemsdyk, another player, plus goalie Sergei Bobrovsky. Or a high draft pick besides a player. The Flyers don't want to move Couturier or Schenn, but if I'm Howson, I want both those players."

Panaccio reports his source tells him the Flyers are more interested in adding another defenseman, like they did Thursday when they acquired Nicklas Grossman from the Dallas Stars. However, when asked if it was "unlikely" he'd go after a star player, Holmgren paused, and replied: "Unlikely? I don't know if I'd use that word, but probably not something that we're talking about at length."

NHL.com

Edited by The Production Line, 18 February 2012 - 06:04 PM.

#170 dragonballgtz

dragonballgtz

Yu-Gi-HOE

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,402 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 07:06 PM

WoW first time I seen you post in a long time.

#171 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 07:07 PM

I doubt Bobrovsky would be a major piece in this trade. The Jackets already have one inconsistent goaltender (Mason); they don't need another.

#172 St. Michael (the Red Wing)

St. Michael (the Red Wing)

Heavenly With the Puck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 09:07 PM

Surprised the Flyers are considering Nash if he wants to go there. I believe the Flyers are over the Cap floor? If so they would have to unload "a few" players. I would rather see Nash go there or Toronto lol instead of Vancouver or San Jose.

Someone on hockey night in Canada during the Hot seat said Columbus is looking for a top 6 forward, 2 prospects and a 1st rounder for Nash.

Is it worth it? Depends I say...

#173 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,683 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 09:10 PM

Surprised the Flyers are considering Nash if he wants to go there. I believe the Flyers are over the Cap floor? If so they would have to unload "a few" players. I would rather see Nash go there or Toronto lol instead of Vancouver or San Jose.

Someone on hockey night in Canada during the Hot seat said Columbus is looking for a top 6 forward, 2 prospects and a 1st rounder for Nash.

Is it worth it? Depends I say...

James Van Riemsdyk would definitely be a part of the deal, if it happened. Maybe Columbus would take this guy back, considering Jared Boll is injured, and Samuel Pahlsson is likely to be dealt at the deadline:

Posted Image
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#174 St. Michael (the Red Wing)

St. Michael (the Red Wing)

Heavenly With the Puck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 09:14 PM

James Van Riemsdyk would definitely be a part of the deal, if it happened. Maybe Columbus would take this guy back, considering Jared Boll is injured, and Samuel Pahlsson is likely to be dealt at the deadline:

Posted Image

Yeah James Van Riemsdyk would definitely be part of something. After Toronto getting killed tonight I wouldn't be surprised either about Burke thinking now of making a move for Nash. Should be interesting to see how this all pans out...

#175 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,683 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 09:20 PM

Yeah James Van Riemsdyk would definitely be part of something. After Toronto getting killed tonight I wouldn't be surprised either about Burke thinking now of making a move for Nash. Should be interesting to see how this all pans out...

Yeah Burke's gonna make a couple changes before the deadline. Both Toronto and Philadelphia have decent assets to deal, so it will be interesting. Toronto is looking to deal Grabovski and possibly MacArthur. Philadelphia could deal (as discussed) Van Riemsdyk, and possibly Lilja (Considering they've just acquired 2 defensemen). I wouldn't be surprised if Shelley was dealt as well. I believe he is a free agent at the end of the season. He broke into the league with Columbus.
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#176 amato

amato

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,620 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 09:30 PM

Huder is on the red wings. red wings are a great team. Nash on the other hand is on columbus. columbus is pretty awful. Not taking anything away from hudler, I like him too and hope he resigns here. Huds and Nash just aren't really comparable..

Datsyukian

Dat·syu·ki·an [dat-soo-kee-uh n]

adjective

1. When your moves are so amazing and beyond reason, the only way to describe them is "datsyukian."

#177 SaCkaveli20

SaCkaveli20

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 04:58 PM

You will keep hearing about the Rick Nash "list." Today a report is out listing Vancouver, Toronto, NYR, Detroit, and San Jose.

Remembering I simply report on rumors, and not including myself, NHL insiders from TSN, Sportsnet, ESPN, and elsewhere have reported Philly, LA, Montreal, Chicago and Boston as having had serious talks for Rick Nash. How can this be if those players aren't on the official list?

Take it for what it's worth lol

#178 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,605 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 08:28 PM

The Score.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#179 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,575 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 09:30 PM

The Score.

Not that Detroit should be on everyone's list, it obviously would be wrong to think that, but what the heck is LA doing on his list? Does he have a women in LA or does he want to enjoy the So.Cal nightlife? Hey he could always hook up with Tara Reid...

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

#180 Red Crazy

Red Crazy

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 626 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 10:15 PM

Why would Rick Nash want to go to Toronto? I can see Boston,Philly,NYR, but the Leafs? Thats as screwed up as saying Hudler is a better all around player then Nash....Steve Nash maybe but Rick Nash and Hudler are not even close sorry to break it to you.