• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
evilzyme

22 is the actual record

Rate this topic

Because the shootout hasn't been around that long.

Still, it's not like Detroit is the only team that has Overtime and Shootouts. And it's not like teams stop trying against Detroit after regulation.

The Wings are excellent in regulation, and they have the calmness, experience and skill to excel in 4-on-4 OT and shootouts, this is not something that makes the streak less impressive. There have been a hundred rule-changes since 1930, or even since the 70's. Players have helmets, goalie's pads are bigger, no red-line offside, and so on and so on. A win is still a win, and if shootout makes it so easy to win games we should see more teams putting together long streaks. But we don't, because parity is making every single game difficult to win.

Still, it's not like Detroit is the only team that has Overtime and Shootouts. And it's not like teams stop trying against Detroit after regulation.

The Wings are excellent in regulation, and they have the calmness, experience and skill to excel in 4-on-4 OT and shootouts, this is not something that makes the streak less impressive. There have been a hundred rule-changes since 1930, or even since the 70's. Players have helmets, goalie's pads are bigger, no red-line offside, and so on and so on. A win is still a win, and if shootout makes it so easy to win games we should see more teams putting together long streaks. But we don't, because parity is making every single game difficult to win.

I agree with both sides of this argument.

This streak is very impressive because of the things you've mentioned. But at the same time, winning 20 in a row in regulation is even more impressive to me.

You can put an asterisk on the Wings record for the few SO wins but then you can also put one on the 1929 Bruins for not having to travel west of Chicago in an entire season that was only 44 games.

Greg Wyshnyski puts it best:

If you're someone giving this record even a second of doubt as to its place in NHL history, check 'yo self. Detroit's winning under the established, accepted rules of their era, and beating the ever-loving crap out of the majority of road teams along the way.

This is an awe-striking record in a parity-infected league

Edited by T-Ruff

I agree with both sides of this argument.

This streak is very impressive because of the things you've mentioned. But at the same time, winning 20 in a row in regulation is even more impressive to me.

Agreed.

Yes, there's things like the cap and it's a different era, but nothing is as directly a factor in the streak as the shootout wins.

In this streak the Wings have 3 shootout wins that would've been ties. It is still an impressive streak but to me warrants an asterisk.

Though honestly all I really care about is that they keep winning. The record I guess is nice to add their name in the history books under another column, but the points they're racking up are what really matters.

Though honestly all I really care about is that they keep winning. The record I guess is nice to add their name in the history books under another column, but the points they're racking up are what really matters.

Personally, I don't really care about that either. It is nice to have been in this position for a long time....not having to worry about making the playoffs. Until the time comes that they are fighting for a spot again, I won't get fussed about racking up points in the regular season.

However, and that's a big However, maybe this year it is more important to get home ice advantage (obvious reasons).

The wings did this within the established rules of their era for what constitutes a win. You may think it's more impressive that the bruins and flyers did it as regulation wins. I think it's more impressive that wings achieved this record in the salary cap era versus achieving it under bowman with a stacked team. Or achieving it like the bruins and flyers did, pre-salary cap.

What would be even more impressive is the team that wins 21 in regulation today. That record deserves an asterisk.

Babcock said it best.. "Scotty Bowman's 96' team won 62 games and didn't do it, they had a dream team in 2002 and didn't do it." He also said something about their record setting points year and how hard it is to do it period. People really hate seeing records broken.

By the Wings....

If this had have been the Penguins or Canucks, the story would have been way bigger and would have been the main story on TSN.ca, not 2/3 of the way down the page as an appendix to the rest of the night in the NHL. Wings should just keep rolling and get over 30 wins and then all the haters can eat crow and then start whining when Norris Nick wins his trophy again this year.

By the Wings....

If this had have been the Penguins or Canucks, the story would have been way bigger and would have been the main story on TSN.ca, not 2/3 of the way down the page as an appendix to the rest of the night in the NHL. Wings should just keep rolling and get over 30 wins and then all the haters can eat crow and then start whining when Norris Nick wins his trophy again this year.

I'm worried it may be slighted by the fact that some people might not want St. Nick to catch Orr, no matter how good he is.

I'm not sure Nick has much of a chance this year based on his reduced production.

Nick should ALWAYS be considered for the Norris. However, I agree, to some extent. He did start the season off with a bang, but things seem to have slowed down for his production after that.