• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

#21 toby91_ca

toby91_ca

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 8,476 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 10:49 AM

True dat. Something is fishy anyways, why does this come out after the fact to begin with?

Maybe it was previously disputed, who knows. Either way though, no real reason to bring it up again until now. If the Wings win their next game at home it really won't matter anyway.

#22 toby91_ca

toby91_ca

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 8,476 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 10:57 AM

It's interesting, the Wings set the record for most consecutive wins on the road a few years ago (12). Am I that forgetful? I don't remember a big deal being made about it.

#23 ami

ami

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 760 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 11:17 AM

guess what, should we win next at home, someone will start measuring a distance from home arena to road arena. and that someone will claim, that Boston or Philly won 23 just because their 23rd win was 'near or not that far' from home.

#24 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,738 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 11:23 AM

If OT/SO made it easier to have a long winning streak, why has it been ages since anyone even came close to beating this record?

A win is a win and you get them anyway you can, under the current rules of the league. When Boston got their 20 straight home wins the league was so incredibly different and had teams who were free wins. Same when Philly did it, the league was much less competetive. Boston did it when they had 10 minute OT as well I believe.

Today no game is a free win, the parity has made long winning streaks very rare.

But I hope Detroit can keep the streak going a little while longer just to silence the whiners and put it beyond any doubt that this is the best Home-streak in League history.

It's still irrelevant. If it's so easy to do with OT/SO, why have the 29 other teams not done it? It's not like we are the only team allowed to go into OT/SO.

Because the shootout hasn't been around that long.
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#25 Heroes of Hockeytown

Heroes of Hockeytown

Big Goal Bob

• Bronze Booster
  • 13,729 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 11:25 AM

It's interesting, the Wings set the record for most consecutive wins on the road a few years ago (12). Am I that forgetful? I don't remember a big deal being made about it.

I had not remembered it either, until it was mentioned after they'd gotten this latest record. Six years is a pretty long time; perhaps in 2018 we will have forgotten this streak too.
"We've been in the same spot all year long. We won 50 games for the fourth year in a row. People think we're just hum-drum and boring.
No, you know what we are, we're good. You can't do what we do every single day and not be good." - Mike Babcock

#26 dat's sick

dat's sick

Fear can hold you prisoner, hope can set you free

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,335 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 11:33 AM

Because the shootout hasn't been around that long.

Still, it's not like Detroit is the only team that has Overtime and Shootouts. And it's not like teams stop trying against Detroit after regulation.

The Wings are excellent in regulation, and they have the calmness, experience and skill to excel in 4-on-4 OT and shootouts, this is not something that makes the streak less impressive. There have been a hundred rule-changes since 1930, or even since the 70's. Players have helmets, goalie's pads are bigger, no red-line offside, and so on and so on. A win is still a win, and if shootout makes it so easy to win games we should see more teams putting together long streaks. But we don't, because parity is making every single game difficult to win.

#27 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,738 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 11:46 AM

Still, it's not like Detroit is the only team that has Overtime and Shootouts. And it's not like teams stop trying against Detroit after regulation.

The Wings are excellent in regulation, and they have the calmness, experience and skill to excel in 4-on-4 OT and shootouts, this is not something that makes the streak less impressive. There have been a hundred rule-changes since 1930, or even since the 70's. Players have helmets, goalie's pads are bigger, no red-line offside, and so on and so on. A win is still a win, and if shootout makes it so easy to win games we should see more teams putting together long streaks. But we don't, because parity is making every single game difficult to win.

I agree with both sides of this argument.

This streak is very impressive because of the things you've mentioned. But at the same time, winning 20 in a row in regulation is even more impressive to me.
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#28 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,625 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 11:51 AM

Ok, then count each time we go to phoenix as a home game then.....

Wah wah Boston, guess all the Cup envy has you grasping for anything, eh?

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Aww You Mad Bro? Are You Butt Hurt?

#29 T-Ruff

T-Ruff

BAMF

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,726 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 12:08 PM

You can put an asterisk on the Wings record for the few SO wins but then you can also put one on the 1929 Bruins for not having to travel west of Chicago in an entire season that was only 44 games.

Greg Wyshnyski puts it best:

If you're someone giving this record even a second of doubt as to its place in NHL history, check 'yo self. Detroit's winning under the established, accepted rules of their era, and beating the ever-loving crap out of the majority of road teams along the way.

This is an awe-striking record in a parity-infected league

Edited by T-Ruff, 15 February 2012 - 12:08 PM.

#30 evilzyme

evilzyme

Games a gongshow.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 12:23 PM

Doesn't Detroit hold the record for most consecutive road wins, also?

Pavel Datsyuk - "Pasha" - #13
"Got no fun if you got no puck"
'"I like ladies" - Towards the Lady Byng trophy
"Hannnnnnnnnnk"
"Okay $5 now"

I'm Don Cherry and Danny DeKeyser is my Kadri.

#31 kylee

kylee

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,457 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 12:25 PM

of course Mike Milbury was the one to bring it up.

#32 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,022 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 12:38 PM

f*** Mike Milbury. He beats up little kids.

Kronwalled.net - Keep Yer Head up Kid

MONEY ON THE BOARD: $10/Kronwalling (1), $1/goal by: Nyquist, Tatar, Jurco, Sheahan, disney.com (1), Andersson, Dekeyser, Pulkinnen, Ouellet, or Sproul.  2X MULTIPLIER: disney.com.  CONSOLATION PRIZE: $5/goal by: Datsyuk (3), $3/goal by: Z (1). MOTB TOTAL: $30

#33 toby91_ca

toby91_ca

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 8,476 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 12:53 PM

Doesn't Detroit hold the record for most consecutive road wins, also?

Yes...look back a few posts :P

#34 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,931 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 12:57 PM

I agree with both sides of this argument.

This streak is very impressive because of the things you've mentioned. But at the same time, winning 20 in a row in regulation is even more impressive to me.

Agreed.

Yes, there's things like the cap and it's a different era, but nothing is as directly a factor in the streak as the shootout wins.

In this streak the Wings have 3 shootout wins that would've been ties. It is still an impressive streak but to me warrants an asterisk.

Though honestly all I really care about is that they keep winning. The record I guess is nice to add their name in the history books under another column, but the points they're racking up are what really matters.

#35 toby91_ca

toby91_ca

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 8,476 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 01:06 PM

Though honestly all I really care about is that they keep winning. The record I guess is nice to add their name in the history books under another column, but the points they're racking up are what really matters.

Personally, I don't really care about that either. It is nice to have been in this position for a long time....not having to worry about making the playoffs. Until the time comes that they are fighting for a spot again, I won't get fussed about racking up points in the regular season.

However, and that's a big However, maybe this year it is more important to get home ice advantage (obvious reasons).

#36 evilzyme

evilzyme

Games a gongshow.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 01:17 PM

Yes...look back a few posts :P

TOUCHE! I SEE WHAT YOU DID THERE.

Pavel Datsyuk - "Pasha" - #13
"Got no fun if you got no puck"
'"I like ladies" - Towards the Lady Byng trophy
"Hannnnnnnnnnk"
"Okay $5 now"

I'm Don Cherry and Danny DeKeyser is my Kadri.

#37 Anijuice

Anijuice

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 540 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 01:25 PM

The wings did this within the established rules of their era for what constitutes a win. You may think it's more impressive that the bruins and flyers did it as regulation wins. I think it's more impressive that wings achieved this record in the salary cap era versus achieving it under bowman with a stacked team. Or achieving it like the bruins and flyers did, pre-salary cap.

What would be even more impressive is the team that wins 21 in regulation today. That record deserves an asterisk.

#38 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,199 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 01:35 PM

Babcock said it best.. "Scotty Bowman's 96' team won 62 games and didn't do it, they had a dream team in 2002 and didn't do it." He also said something about their record setting points year and how hard it is to do it period. People really hate seeing records broken.

By the Wings....
If this had have been the Penguins or Canucks, the story would have been way bigger and would have been the main story on TSN.ca, not 2/3 of the way down the page as an appendix to the rest of the night in the NHL. Wings should just keep rolling and get over 30 wins and then all the haters can eat crow and then start whining when Norris Nick wins his trophy again this year.

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#39 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,022 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 02:03 PM

By the Wings....
If this had have been the Penguins or Canucks, the story would have been way bigger and would have been the main story on TSN.ca, not 2/3 of the way down the page as an appendix to the rest of the night in the NHL. Wings should just keep rolling and get over 30 wins and then all the haters can eat crow and then start whining when Norris Nick wins his trophy again this year.

I'm worried it may be slighted by the fact that some people might not want St. Nick to catch Orr, no matter how good he is.

Kronwalled.net - Keep Yer Head up Kid

MONEY ON THE BOARD: $10/Kronwalling (1), $1/goal by: Nyquist, Tatar, Jurco, Sheahan, disney.com (1), Andersson, Dekeyser, Pulkinnen, Ouellet, or Sproul.  2X MULTIPLIER: disney.com.  CONSOLATION PRIZE: $5/goal by: Datsyuk (3), $3/goal by: Z (1). MOTB TOTAL: $30

#40 toby91_ca

toby91_ca

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 8,476 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 02:34 PM

I'm worried it may be slighted by the fact that some people might not want St. Nick to catch Orr, no matter how good he is.

I'm not sure Nick has much of a chance this year based on his reduced production.