• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
sandyeggo wingnut

Why everyone hates us

Rate this topic

A buddy and I have just figured out why "everyone" hates the wings. It is the same irrational "hate" I have for the Yankees (world series defeat of my padres notwithstanding). Illitch is the Steinbrenner of hockey.

1) he wants (needs) to win

2) he LOVES the sport

3) he is not afraid to spend money on someone who he thinks will help him win

4) he surrounds himself with people who are smarter (I mean hockey/baseball sense) than him

5) did I mention he wants to win?

Say what you want about owners like Steinbrenner, llitch, and extending to other sports Cuban, Al Davis, the Rooneys, etc. take a look at the history of those franchises, and you will see that the stability and passion is there. And that tends to help them win more often than not.

And that, more than anything, pisses fans of everyone else off. More often than not.

Except I doubt any NHL fan hates Ilitch.

Steinbrenner, Cuban and Jerry Jones are larger than life personas who get lots of sports coverage and are more widely hated.

Actually you just brought up a good point. A lot of hate against those teams (including mine against the Yankees) is directed at the owners. But you cannot deny passionate owners (try to) bring success

Edit: I am talking about "irrational" hate here. I mean I understand why fans of say the Avs or the Leafs "hate" the wings. But fans of oh...say...the Devils? No history.wrong conference. Etc

Edited by sandyeggo wingnut

All teams that are successful are hated outside their fan base. If they're successful; one of the best or the best in the league, that means they're a big threat to the success of some other team. Thus hatred is born. Nobody hated the sharks before they started beating us. Nobody hates the penguins, or even Crosby for that matter, until they started getting legitimately threatening. Up until recently, Chicago was the team everyone loved to play because it was an easy 2 points. Now that they won a cup and stand to challenge for it for at least a little while, there are a ton of folks that hate the organization.

The wings have been a threat to other team's success, and that threat has existed for 20 years. That timeline is long enough for just about every team in the league to have been competitive or near the top at least once. In other words we have directly threatened (and often succeeded) at stoping just about every team from reaching their ultimate goal during a period when they actually stood a chance at winning at least once. We're widely hated for this reason.

Wait, didn't we just have a thread about why no one hates us? Did we kick a bunch of puppies in the past couple weeks?

Puppies, buppies, kitties, bunnies, you name it. How dare the Wings break the Broad Street Bullies record? Tell Bettman to assign Dan O'Halloran and Brad Watson to every single one of their games as long as those two officials are alive.

I honestly don't believe, that most nhl fans hate the Red Wings. I think opposing fans are enamored with the unrealistic, and unbelievable success the organization has achieved, like no other in recent decades. In my opinion the majority of fans have no other recolection of a dynasty such as the one that is still in Detroit. I think opposing fans are baffled at Detroits ability to draft above and beyond consistently for more than a lucky pick every once in a while. I think us as true fans are equally in awe of the players that are in the system. But what I find the most amusing, is that there are some great cities that nhl hockey teams call home. For instance, I love the city of Vancouver, it's beautiful. Calgary is also a fun town to travel too. Chicago and NYC are a few of my favorites, LA has great weather, and Anaheim is so convenient for a player that has a few bucks and could live at the beach in a nice home, and make a morning skate in 15 minutes with traffic. It has to be angering for fans of these other teams that not only love their team, but they like where they live. And then watch a player snub them, for a a blue collar, down on their luck, depressed area like Detroit, or so how it is grossly portrayed. And to top it all off, the player takes less money! If I am an opposing teams fan, and I have to hear 'Detroits hometown discount' one more time, I am going to throw up in my mouth! (thats a quote from my Red Wing hating, and Anaheim Duck season ticket holder old neighbor) haha, I loved living next to this guy!!

People hated Steinbrenner, and Al Davis, because they were over the top control freaks. :lol:

edit: I highly doubt that a normal, legit nhl fan find Ilitch anything other than a great owner.

Edited by miller76

I'm friends with people who like other various teams such as, Toronto, Colorado, Vancouver, Edmonton, and none of them hate the Wings. They all respect them and the organaization. Only one of my buddies hates the Wings with a passion, but then again, he's a Hawks fan, LOL, they lost 9 in a row. He isn't saying too much lately.