• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Jedi

Ken Holland: "Right now, Joey is our #2 goalie"

Rate this topic

Per the Detroit Free Press...

Joey MacDonald's steady play has given the Red Wings one less thing to do leading up to the Feb. 27 trade deadline.

MacDonald has a four-game winning streak as the Wings next face Central Division rival Nashville on Friday. Since taking over for struggling regular backup Ty Conklin one period into the Feb. 4 game at Edmonton, MacDonald is 4-1 with a .930 save percentage and 1.72 goals-against average. That's ameliorated the loss of Jimmy Howard, who has been sidelined by a broken finger.

"I'm comfortable with our goaltending," general manager Ken Holland said Wednesday. "I'm not looking to do any moves in that regard. Between Ty and Joey Mac, we're more than adequate."

The Wings didn't practice Wednesday, but Howard is expected to return Sunday, if not Friday. MacDonald was called up from the minors originally to serve as Conklin's backup while Howard recovered, but when Conklin allowed three goals to the Oilers -- which put his season stats at 3-5 with a .878 save percentage and 3.40 GAA -- MacDonald took over.

Holland didn't want to reveal what the Wings will do when Howard returns, but he did say that "in pro hockey, it's what have you done for me lately. It's a competitive environment. Ty had the job all year, and he had some good games, he had some not-so-good games. All you have to do is look at the stats. Right now, Joey is the No. 2 guy."

The Wings have the roster space to carry three goalies, "but that's not an ideal option," Holland said.

The other option is to risk putting Conklin on waivers, then send him to the minors if he clears.

I was really excited when we resigned him because I enjoyed him last time he was here, but he doesn't deserve the #2 spot anymore. Joey Mac all the way.

you hit the nail on the head. mac is really starting to find his game, and he deserves it.

I doubt there is any risk putting Ty on waivers anyways. I don't think there are any teams desperate enough to think picking him up would help them in any signifigant way so he would almost certainly clear and make it to Grand Rapids. Option 2 could see Kenny keep him up until the trade deadline and try to find him a place to play and toss him in as part of another deal, but I doubt he'd find any takers.

I doubt there is any risk putting Ty on waivers anyways. I don't think there are any teams desperate enough to think picking him up would help them in any signifigant way so he would almost certainly clear and make it to Grand Rapids. Option 2 could see Kenny keep him up until the trade deadline and try to find him a place to play and toss him in as part of another deal, but I doubt he'd find any takers.

Option 3: Ty can make a kick ass fort in the press box

I really wanted Conks to get one more shot, but never the less he did not and Joey Mac kicked ass so good for Joey! I think Conklin will clear waivers for sure and we may even head into next season flip flopped-Conks our starter in GR and Joey Mac up here.

I really wanted Conks to get one more shot, but never the less he did not and Joey Mac kicked ass so good for Joey! I think Conklin will clear waivers for sure and we may even head into next season flip flopped-Conks our starter in GR and Joey Mac up here.

Conks is on a one years deal, so he'll be gone in all likelihood. J-mac 2nd year of his deal is one-way, so you have to think that Detroit intended to have him up as the back-up for next season.

That leaves McCollum and Pearce splitting time in GR, with the possibility of Mrazek jumping into the mix and the three rotating between the AHL and ECHL.

Thank god someone in the organization finally sees what I have seen all along. Screw Conklin, we should have never brought him back. I have no idea what he is doing at the NHL level. Get that bum away from an otherwise great team.

unlike a lot of people here, I don't think Conklin has been as bad as his numbers suggest. I've watched every game and seen how many goals against him were the result of shoddy defensive play, or flukey goals going in off defenders sticks, skates, etc. Having said that, Joey has been better and earned the job...kudos to him, he was good last year as well.

Edited by kipwinger

Guest Hatethedrake!

unlike a lot of people here, I don't think Conklin has been as bad as his numbers suggest. I've watched every game and seen how many goals against him were the result of shoddy defensive play, or flukey goals going in off defenders sticks, skates, etc. Having said that, Joey has been better and earned the job...kudos to him, he was good last year as well.

The Caps game and the Oilers game stick out in my mind as to what sealed Conks fate. Babs has no faith in him after the Caps game which is why he played Jimmy every game. Then Jimmy gets hurt and Conks craps the bed against the Oilers. Conks was the perfect back-up the first time we had him. But he went to St. Lou ass and stunk the joint up. Then he comes back to the Wings and plays el crapola again. I like Conks but I think his time in the NHL is up.

The Caps game and the Oilers game stick out in my mind as to what sealed Conks fate. Babs has no faith in him after the Caps game which is why he played Jimmy every game. Then Jimmy gets hurt and Conks craps the bed against the Oilers. Conks was the perfect back-up the first time we had him. But he went to St. Lou ass and stunk the joint up. Then he comes back to the Wings and plays el crapola again. I like Conks but I think his time in the NHL is up.

All I'm saying is that he's been better than his numbers, anytime your team gives up 5-7 goals (Edmonton, Washington, Montreal, NYI, SJ), the problem is bigger than your goalie. Has he been awesome, or even all that steady? No. Has he played bad enough to suggest he's got no more hockey left in him? Also no. I'm glad for the team and Joey that he's got the no. 2 job, but Conklin hasn't been as bad as we sometimes make him out to be. Part of the problem, IMO, is that there's a trade off when your defense is scoring as much as ours is. With Jimmy in the net it's no problem because he's a super star and he'll bail them out, but when Conks is in they can't cheat into the play as much without giving up the kinds of chances that bury a backup goalie. I honestly think we have a good defense, but I don't think our defense is nearly as good (defensively) as Jimmy makes them look on most nights. There's a reason for all the breakaways, odd man rushes, and short handed goals that we've seen this year. The defense is scoring more (which is great and I'm not complaining), but like I said, there's a trade off.

To me, the best part of this news is that we can finally (hopefully) start a somewhat normal goalie rotation, and keep Howard as fresh as possible for the playoffs instead of playing him in every single game for the rest of the regular season.

Yea Hoon this is what I was thinking as well. Perfect timing as well to be able to do a normal rotation just in time for the playoffs.

Honestly, I don't think waiving Conklin presents any more risk than keeping him does. We'd be just as screwed if either of them had to be our guy in the playoffs due to injury, so why not keep the guy who's playing better now? The drop off between Howard and those two is enormous anyway.

The Wings are carrying extra forwards, an extra D and if they kept both Conks and Joey up they'd be carrying an extra goalie. On top of that they have a pair of short-term injuries to forwards... something has to give. I won't be Mursak or Emmerton just yet because Cory's shown some flashes of potential recently and Mursak's got untapped potential with the caveat that he's just getting back into form after a serious foot injury.

All I'm saying is that he's been better than his numbers, anytime your team gives up 5-7 goals (Edmonton, Washington, Montreal, NYI, SJ), the problem is bigger than your goalie.

I agree with this to some extent. I think part of the issue- and the size of the part is debatable, granted- was that Conklin was a victim of shaky road play by the team. I do wish they'd given him a couple starts at home, to see if that could give him and the team in front of him some confidence.

Now, though, it seems pretty clear that the team plays nervous hockey in front of Conklin, and is playing well in front of Joey. So if I'm Babcock, even if I think Conklin didn't get a fair shake my hands are tied; you got to go with MacDonald.

Sad as it is for him as a player, I think if Niittymaki cleared waivers, I have to think Conklin would too and maybe he can get his game back in Grand Rapids.

Edited by Hockey Convert