• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Ozzie30

Yzerman asks Pavel Kubina to Provide list of teams

Rate this topic

I'm going to pretend that's just Kenny kicking the tires to see what the market is like & that he's really not that interested in Kubina.

A kubina acquisition at the deadline would fit Kenny's MO pretty well, I doubt he's merely kicking the tires.

Kubina reminds of me of when we got Bertuzzi. Everyone thought he was a waste until he came here and reworked his game. Kubina is a big body with an offense upside. Put the detroit defense work ethic in his head and he could be the a savoir for our third pairing come playoffs.

I don't think it will cost us too much against the cap to get Kubina. His annual is only $3.85 mill so pro-rated is not that much, maybe $1 mill? It could be a good acquisition for #4 or #5 on the Dmen depth, try him out and see if does well. If he can get his game back, offer him a one year contract like we did Bert and see what happens. You know the saying, you can never have too many Dmen.

What I find odd is that Tampa Bay is sitting him until he gets traded ... I know you don't want him injured and all but that is an odd move.

There is a tiny bit of intrigue for Kubina in my view. He does have some strengths. Right now he's averaging nearly 20 minutes a game. I wonder if he would play better if he had less minutes and you wouldn't see his weaknesses as much.

Or is he one of those guys who plays better with more minutes? One of those guys who can't get into a groove unless he has his minutes sort of player.

As much as I try to like Kindl, I'm not too sure about having an Ericsson/Kindl (or Commie) 3rd pairing going into the playoffs. I've never really cared too much for Kubina but at this point I'd much rather see a Big E and Kubina 3rd line D instead.

I really hope Holmgren offered a nice package, because Kubina would not help us defensively. Kindl hasn't been very good lately, so try Commie out. Don't give up assets for pretty much a Skillsy with more offensive upside. I hate em, but Leafs fans must be losing there minds over the kind of returns there s***ty former defenseman are getting or garnering. I swear, if this was 2008 and we were interested in Kubina people would be losing there minds. The guys awful, like I said I really hope Holmgren made an offer the Lightning can't refuse.

A kubina acquisition at the deadline would fit Kenny's MO pretty well, I doubt he's merely kicking the tires.

Precisely why I started this thread - Kubina fits Kenny's MO and Yzerman is obviously a strong trade partner.

I too would rather see Malone here, but in Kenny we trust, right?

Really Kubina? I don't understand at all....

As Khan points out:

Kubina is big and strong (6-foot-4, 258) and has a booming shot from the point. He shoots right-handed and would be slotted onto the Red Wings' third pairing and second power-play unit. Defenseman Ian White and forward Jan Mursak are Detroit's only right-handed shooters.

Second-year defenseman Jakub Kindl secured the No. 6 spot at the start of the season and played well until just before Christmas. But he hasn't been as gritty as the team would like, too often avoiding hits to make a play. He was scratched six games in a row from Dec. 22-Jan. 3 and was then alternated with Mike Commodore for several weeks.

Kindl played in his sixth consecutive game Friday, against Nashville, as Commodore has been a healthy scratch the past five games. The Red Wings are looking to upgrade on their third pairing.

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2012/02/red_wings_6.html

He seems like an upgrade over Kindl and Commodore. And it would get Hudler off the point on the PP and down low where he's more effective.

Maybe they're hoping they'll pick Kubina up as a playoff rental and re-sign next season if and when Stuart leaves?

I really hope Holmgren offered a nice package, because Kubina would not help us defensively. Kindl hasn't been very good lately, so try Commie out. Don't give up assets for pretty much a Skillsy with more offensive upside. I hate em, but Leafs fans must be losing there minds over the kind of returns there s***ty former defenseman are getting or garnering. I swear, if this was 2008 and we were interested in Kubina people would be losing there minds. The guys awful, like I said I really hope Holmgren made an offer the Lightning can't refuse.

Yeah I'm pretty aware of all that and I'm definitely skeptical. The only intrigue I feel is the way in which the Wings can refine his role so that he doesn't have to be a #1 or #3 offensive dman with less minutes and so he plays the game with less pressure on his mind, which could hopefully lead to less mistakes. Unfortunately the only way to find out is if he plays a few games as a Red Wing.

He also played for the Adirondack Red Wings. I wonder if they've been targeting him for years.

Only way I would take Kubina is an Ericsson for Kubina+ trade. Just to free up money in the future.

If Kindl or any other defensive player is involved, I am pissed.

As Khan points out:

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2012/02/red_wings_6.html

He seems like an upgrade over Kindl and Commodore. And it would get Hudler off the point on the PP and down low where he's more effective.

Maybe they're hoping they'll pick Kubina up as a playoff rental and re-sign next season if and when Stuart leaves?

He is a temporary upgrade over Kindl, and Commodore wouldn't clear waivers or return anything in trade... Getting Kubina means losing one or both of them... then it should be a pass.

The simple fact is, even if we only trade draft picks (WHICH I WOULD HATE IN THIS TRADE) Then we lose a roster player to add him anyways.

I wouldn't want to lose a single player from this roster without it being a clear upgrade. I believe that E on the back end is the only player where it would be a clear upgrade and a straight deal doesn't seem likely, nor would us getting equal value. Would Yzerman want his awful contract? I doubt it.

I will be upset if we lose any of our forwards, and all but two of our defensemen to pull this off. It doesn't seem like a smart move.

I'll take Kubina if Yzerman includes Malone in the deal as well.

Kubina and Malone for kindl, emmerton, and a low pick. Tampa Bay gets some young talent to work with, clean up some cap space, and we get veteran leadership and grit to help us in the playoffs. I think it's a fair deal for both sides

I'll take Kubina if Yzerman includes Malone in the deal as well.

Kubina and Malone for kindl, emmerton, and a low pick. Tampa Bay gets some young talent to work with, clean up some cap space, and we get veteran leadership and grit to help us in the playoffs. I think it's a fair deal for both sides

He'd certainly make us tougher.

malone-bicep.jpg

Only way I would take Kubina is an Ericsson for Kubina+ trade. Just to free up money in the future.

If Kindl or any other defensive player is involved, I am pissed.

He is a temporary upgrade over Kindl, and Commodore wouldn't clear waivers or return anything in trade... Getting Kubina means losing one or both of them... then it should be a pass.

The simple fact is, even if we only trade draft picks (WHICH I WOULD HATE IN THIS TRADE) Then we lose a roster player to add him anyways.

I wouldn't want to lose a single player from this roster without it being a clear upgrade. I believe that E on the back end is the only player where it would be a clear upgrade and a straight deal doesn't seem likely, nor would us getting equal value. Would Yzerman want his awful contract? I doubt it.

I will be upset if we lose any of our forwards, and all but two of our defensemen to pull this off. It doesn't seem like a smart move.

Am I understanding you correctly? Kubina would only be a clear upgrade over Ericsson, and not the two defenseman who've been alternating healthy scratches this season?

There are people who still seriously think right now Kindl is a better player than Ericsson?

I'm not saying the Wings should go all out for Kubina but lets' have a reality check here. Kubina would be a major upgrade over Kindl and an upgrade over Commie as well. He's a huge player (6'4 258lbs!)who actually uses his size, right hand shot from the point on the power play, Stanley Cup winner, veteran experience, can handle big minutes.

You don't think that's a clear upgrade over a 25 year old D man who lost his spot in the lineup because he plays much smaller than he is, and his development seems to have tapered off? Going into the playoffs with an Ericsson Kubina bottom pairing, and Kubina on the 2nd unit PP is a definite upgrade.

Like I said before, the Wings may be thinking that he's a rental this year and a potential replacement for Stuart next season. Another Wings reclamation project.