• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Diluvian04

Are the Red Wings America's hockey team

Rate this topic

This is a topic brought up on XM92.

It's between the Rangers and Red Wings and the Wings are winning.

Which team do you believe is America's team?

All business, all class and no chumps.

It has to be one of those teams. I think the Rangers benefit from being from New York (America's city), but the Wings I think generally have a larger fanbase, but I'm not sure on this one.

When it comes to success and dynasty's no doubt Detroit takes the win, BUT New York is the mecca of everything entertainment, so, even though they haven't accomplished jack since 1994, they would still be given the title of America's Team.....by the media only. The fans know differently.

As a matter of fact if the media would vote, Detroit would more than likely be third behind NY and Chicago.

I love the Wings so much that I'd rather them *not* be called that. Success breeds contempt anyway, there's no need to make it any worse by trying to making them a poster-team for the league (even though they certainly are deserving). Those of us who are not Dallas Cowboys fans will recall how much we hated being force-fed the 'America's Team' garbage for years, and I don't like them to this day largely due to that.

From my perspective in a non-hockey market (Houston), The Wings are definitely America's team. Not a lot of hockey fans down here but I always seem to run into Wings fans. We went to a game in Dallas last month and the place was FULL of wings fans. I just don't see the Ranger love like that...not down here anyway.

I guess I'd have to honestly say... I don't get the question?

While I am a die hard Wings fan, the Wings don't get enough national media coverage for Americans to think of the Wings as "Americas Team". As much as I'll get negged for saying so, I'd probably say in terms of the team most Americans have heard of, probably Chicago or Pittsburgh would be my guess. Rangers and Wings would be next up.

But then again, like I said, I don't really understand the question, so maybe I am using a different set of criteria.

There's no such thing as America's team in any sport.

Some teams have more fans than others, but there's too many fanbases to proclaim a team as representing the whole country or something. Especially when it's a sport that Americans put behind the other sports.

If you think of it in a sense of having the most displaced or transplanted fans around the country...then yes.

But, I hate the term "America's team". Because the Wings happen to be in America, why should any bandwagon American hockey fan be able to call them "their" team if they advance deep into the playoffs?

They're "our" team---whether we're Wings fans in Detroit, Phoenix, London, or Tokyo...it doesn't matter--they're "our" team. The team belongs to true Detroit Red Wings fans. No potential marketing gimmick such as "America's team" can change that. You heard "Canada's team" in the Finals last year, but I doubt any true Leafs, Flames or Habs fans were rooting for the 'Nucks. So the term doesn't really make sense and is kind of silly for real fans.

I love the Wings so much that I'd rather them *not* be called that. Success breeds contempt anyway, there's no need to make it any worse by trying to making them a poster-team for the league (even though they certainly are deserving). Those of us who are not Dallas Cowboys fans will recall how much we hated being force-fed the 'America's Team' garbage for years, and I don't like them to this day largely due to that.

My sentiments exactly.

Edited by Nevermind

Detroit is Hockeytown. New York is Baseballtown...and heck, it can be Footballtown for all I care, but Hockeytown? I don't think so. New York is the center of the universe for a lot of things, but you have to earn that. I don't see the titles, the hardcore and widespread following, or the modern day heroes that stand as tall in the fans' eyes as heroes past. Nope, none of that.

Also, being the center of the universe works against them a little - they're known for so many things that it's hard for a hockey team to stand out. Hockey in Detroit, on the other hand, is like beaches in Southern California. It's what we DO. As an outsider myself, I've seen it - even out here where ice is for little trays in my freezer, and white Christmases are only in a song, we KNOW. If you want hockey, you get it in Detroit. End of story.

If you remember, about 10 years ago or so when Sports Illustrated turned fifty they had an issue looking at all fifty states and their poll numbers as it comes to all sports, athletes, coaches, etc.

Pretty much every State that had a Sports team would have that sports team ranked a higher percentage than any other team in terms of favourite team, as you would expect. Almost every single state without a team had the Wings as the most liked NHL team, and most states had them in second place if they had a team.

The other leagues had similar numbers with the Cowboys, Yankees, and Lakers.

I think it is clear we are in that spot, at least back then. I doubt that it changed much. Although where Yzerman was the most liked athelete then in the NHL, it might be Crosby now.

I really made myself sick with all these statements. Obviously those teams disgust me. For the record none of them run their team as well as the Wings. They are different sports with different issues but the Wings actually scout.

Although where Yzerman was the most liked athelete then in the NHL, it might be Crosby now.

On the contrary, I'm pretty sure outside of Pittsburgh Crosby might actually be the most disliked NHL athlete.

Yzerman was liked not because of his skill-set, but because of his attitude - which is not something these two have in common.

Edited by AceInTheSleeve

On the contrary, I'm pretty sure outside of Pittsburgh Crosby might actually be the most disliked NHL athlete.

Yzerman was liked not because of his skill-set, but because of his attitude - which is not something these two have in common.

Well... that is just the thing. Crosby is one of the most liked players... and the most hated.

Because that is always the case. I would bet money that if you asked everyone in Detroit who their fave player who isn't on the Wings is... and their least favourite. I would bet money that Crosby makes the top three on both of those lists.

And team wise, I bet money the Wings are the most hated and most loved team. Big figures are polarizing like that.

Detroit is Hockeytown. New York is Baseballtown...and heck, it can be Footballtown for all I care, but Hockeytown? I don't think so. New York is the center of the universe for a lot of things, but you have to earn that. I don't see the titles, the hardcore and widespread following, or the modern day heroes that stand as tall in the fans' eyes as heroes past. Nope, none of that.

Also, being the center of the universe works against them a little - they're known for so many things that it's hard for a hockey team to stand out. Hockey in Detroit, on the other hand, is like beaches in Southern California. It's what we DO. As an outsider myself, I've seen it - even out here where ice is for little trays in my freezer, and white Christmases are only in a song, we KNOW. If you want hockey, you get it in Detroit. End of story.

I think cprice and the other 5000 Blues fans may argue and disagree with your statement...

If you remember, about 10 years ago or so when Sports Illustrated turned fifty they had an issue looking at all fifty states and their poll numbers as it comes to all sports, athletes, coaches, etc.

Pretty much every State that had a Sports team would have that sports team ranked a higher percentage than any other team in terms of favourite team, as you would expect. Almost every single state without a team had the Wings as the most liked NHL team, and most states had them in second place if they had a team.

The other leagues had similar numbers with the Cowboys, Yankees, and Lakers.

I think it is clear we are in that spot, at least back then. I doubt that it changed much. Although where Yzerman was the most liked athelete then in the NHL, it might be Crosby now.

I really made myself sick with all these statements. Obviously those teams disgust me. For the record none of them run their team as well as the Wings. They are different sports with different issues but the Wings actually scout.

....again...I think cprice and the other 5000 Blues fans may argue and disagree with your statement...

I don't think the Red Wings are America's team. I feel the way people from Michigan and Detroit relate to their hockey team is completely different from the way the rest of the country does. Being from the area (or being a transplant) comes with a certain pride and passion for your local teams that's pretty unique and hard to describe. Part of it comes from the fact that the local economy has been suffering and watching sports is a tremendous outlet for people in the community. I think if we call Detroit America's team, then you're sort of devaluing that special relationship. I think New York, Chicago, or Boston would be more appropriate. Or maybe I'm just being a snob about my favorite team. I don't know. I think they're Detroit's team.

Edited by The Nephilim

Wings are americas team, no doubt about it. All you have to do is compare the fans in opposing rinks. There is a lot more red in those crowds. Hard to argue with the Lets go Red Wings chant heard at away games...

I think that speaks to transplants across the country moreso than the Wings' appeal to those not born and raised in Michigan. Having lived in 3 states other than Michigan, I never once ran into another Wings fan outside of the Wings/Sharks game at the Cow Palace.

I have no where else to put this right now, and I think it sort of speaks to how the Wings are great.

Panger tweeted this...

Looking forward to #NBC GAME in Detroit Sunday on HDIA. Working alongside Ken Daniels as Sharks will try to stop the home ice dominance.

I think the fact that we also have such a great set of announcers... when these guys could do a national job, it shows the level of the sport here. I think people around the country and world recognize this.

I think that speaks to transplants across the country moreso than the Wings' appeal to those not born and raised in Michigan. Having lived in 3 states other than Michigan, I never once ran into another Wings fan outside of the Wings/Sharks game at the Cow Palace.

I see more Wings gear than any other aside from the Wild, in whose territory I reside.

Just Friday night, a guy pulled up to get gas at the c-store wearing a white Yzerman jersey. I was tickled. The lady who owns my favourite Chinese restaurant is a Wings fan. We're all over out here.

There are certainly the transplants. If someone asks me why I'm a Wings fan, I can usually tell if they are from Michigan by the accusatory "bandwagon" look. In that case I simply tell them that my dad was from Detroit. If they are just asking, I wax eloquent on the greatness that is the Wings.

They're usually sorry they asked.

Without sounding like a huge homer or just gloating about my team, but even if Detroit were to be termed "America's Team" I really don't think you can limit them to just being "America's" team. With the huge influx of Swede's and Russian's this team has had, and quite arguably the best Swede(s) and Russian(s) to ever play in the NHL, it's not that far fetched of an argument to call the Red Wings the "World's Team" considering the amount of fans this team has worldwide...

...that being said, I cannot tell any of the fans who have adopted this team as their own, how lucky and fortunate I have been to be born and grow up and age (gracefully (sometimes)) just outside the City of Detroit and have the birth-rite of being a Detroit Red Wings fan through and through. We are moving to West Michigan over the summer to live the second 40 years of my life in peace and tranquility, but you better believe, when you are born into the Red & White, it will NEVER leave you. I am glad there are fans around the world who call this team their own, but its sad that those fans (out of their power of course) can never feel the way that I have felt living and dying with this team. I was born in 1970 and my first reallection of them was in 1979, and it's been Heaven ever since. Even in the 80's and early 90's, it was so exciting to know there was a Wings game on TV that night. I can remember in the early 90's when I was first starting my career (yes I am still working in the same place today) when there was a Wings game on PASS, I would stop at KFC on the way home, buy a 20 piece Hot Wing (which was only $5.95 at the time) and get home and in time for the pre-game (I worked 10am-6pm) and enjoyed my Hot Wings with the Wings on TV. AHhh, the good old days! :lol: I am proud to call this area my home, this team MY team and am proud to share MY team with the rest of the world, together, as The World's Team...

Go Wings!

82-0 or 0-82, Stanley Cup or missed playoffs, my blood runs Red & White!