• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
NeverForgetMac25

2012 NHL Trade Deadline Thread - February 27th, 3:00 PM ET

Rate this topic

Could somebody please tell me what our chances are of getting Shea Weber anytime soon? Is there a chance that Holland can hold off and try to pick him up later? Thanks.

There's a 0% chance he or Parise are ever Wings during or before their primes.

Not sure if this deserves its own thread.

I know the Habs said he's not available, but never say never this tine of year, especially when Ken Holland is involved.

Blah. Overpayment. I was hoping they would be interested in a different prospect. Quine and a third? I'd even do Sproul straight up for Moen. Not XO though.

Apparently, someone at Sports Illustrated has a different opinion than you. Taken from today's power rankings:

First, same as last week. The skinny: "The NHL's points leaders were slated to get goalie Jimmy Howard and forward Daniel Cleary back for Tuesday's game against Chicago. If that didn't bring out your inner Wings envy, try this on for size: according to people with knowledge of the team's future plans (if the following guys are on the open market July 1), Plan A this summer will be to sign Zach Parise as a free agent. Plan B is sign Ryan Suter. Maybe both plans will come to fruition. Be afraid of the Detroit Red Wings."

And if you're questioning that part in brackets, someone in New York has more news for you:

The Devils captain can become an unrestricted free agent July 1 and could be the most-sought rental on the market, if he was on it. Sources say Parise has decided against negotiating a new long-term deal before the trade deadline and perhaps before the end of the season. The possibility exists that if the Devils decide they won’t be able to sign him to a new deal, they might trade his rights before July 1, giving that partner an early jump toward signing him.
Edited by Esquire

The Vermette trade further cements the Blue Jackets reputation as the worst-managed team in the NHL.

Honestly they need just to sell all older players with big contracts and stock up on draft picks. There is no way around it. Rebuild, the old fashion way.

Apparently, someone at Sports Illustrated has a different opinion than you. Taken from today's power rankings:

And if you're questioning that part in brackets, someone in New York has more news for you:

And these people don't know how the Wings work. We don't overpay for players. Teams are going to offer more money than the Wings for these guys. And it's not news, it's conjecture that writers have gathered from reading HFBoards and sites like these and bleacher report and twitter.

Plus what does the second quote have to do with anything? Everyone knows the Devils financially cannot re-sign Parise.

Lastly. Every team is going to try and sign these players. They may be number one and two on our list, but they are also going to be number one and two on everyone else's list. Except other teams will offer twice as much as the Wings will.

Edited by Konnan511

And these people don't know how the Wings work. We don't overpay for players. Teams are going to offer more money than the Wings for these guys. And it's not news, it's conjecture that writers have gathered from reading HFBoards and sites like these and bleacher report and twitter.

Plus what does the second quote have to do with anything? Everyone knows the Devils financially cannot re-sign Parise.

Lastly. Every team is going to try and sign these players. They may be number one and two on our list, but they are also going to be number one and two on everyone else's list. Except other teams will offer twice as much as the Wings will.

True, we don't overpay but the player could decide to take a little less money and go to a team that they have a better chance at a cup. Not saying it'll happen or it happens a lot but it's possible.. Depends on the player really.

True, we don't overpay but the player could decide to take a little less money and go to a team that they have a better chance at a cup. Not saying it'll happen or it happens a lot but it's possible.. Depends on the player really.

True. But 6 mil from the Wings or 8.5+ mil from the Panthers or Islanders or some other crap team wanting to reach the floor. He will take that massive overpayment. I'd love for both players to be here, but not at 7mil+ for each.

I will probably get ripped for saying this but screw it. A friend of mine who currently plays in the AHL is good buddies with Shea (teammates in Jr). They went for lunch last summer (after the arbitration fiasco) and Weber literally said he "wants to be a Red Wing". Theres a reason Nashville is trying to deal for deadline players and get their team good enough to contend this year ... because they embarrassed themselves in front of the entire hockey world by offering the best all-round defensemen in hockey 4.75 million and are dearly trying to make a run for the cup this year to show their two prized horses that they are going to be a contender/cap team going forward.

Lets not kid ourselves - Weber got 2 weeks of the Red Wing experience at the 2010 Olympics with Babcock as coach and Holland and Yzerman putting that team together. Guranteed some wheel greasing went on there.

Blah. Overpayment. I was hoping they would be interested in a different prospect. Quine and a third? I'd even do Sproul straight up for Moen. Not XO though.

I will probably get ripped for saying this but screw it. A friend of mine who currently plays in the AHL is good buddies with Shea (teammates in Jr). They went for lunch last summer (after the arbitration fiasco) and Weber literally said he "wants to be a Red Wing". Theres a reason Nashville is trying to deal for deadline players and get their team good enough to contend this year ... because they embarrassed themselves in front of the entire hockey world by offering the best all-round defensemen in hockey 4.75 million and are dearly trying to make a run for the cup this year to show their two prized horses that they are going to be a contender/cap team going forward.

Lets not kid ourselves - Weber got 2 weeks of the Red Wing experience at the 2010 Olympics with Babcock as coach and Holland and Yzerman putting that team together. Guranteed some wheel greasing went on there.

I'm not gonna hate, I've got a friend that has played with and hangs with pro level players and its not always heresy. If that's true, it would be awesome. If we signed Weber it would be basically the best way that we could replace Nick. I've always been a Preds fan (unless they played the Wings) and that move may be devastating to way more than just their roster.

I wonder if there is a slight chance that the Ducks let go (trade) Bobby Ryan and we send them Stuart and Mursak. Saw on another forum that Stuart wants to go back to the West Coast.

Edited by RWHockey

Guest Hatethedrake!

LAST UPDATED (2-23-2012, 9:12 AM ET)

February 22, 2012 (1 Total Transaction)

Phoenix Acquires: (F) Antoine Vermette

Columbus Acquires: (G) Curtis McElhinney, 2nd-Round Pick (2012), 5th-Round Pick (2013-conditional)

The plan is for Kenny to sign Suter as a UFA this summer to replace Stuart. The NEXT summer is when Kenny signs Weber as a UFA to replace Nick. See it all works out. :thumbup:

So has there been any talk about trying to aquire a 2nd scoreresk type player? I read in the hunt for another Dman even, but nothing since the start (exept on here that is) about hunting for a scorer. Which imo is what we need most right now to put us over the top.

Teams can offer all the money they want. What they can't offer is playing with Hank/Pav/Howard and possibly Nick along with the treatment that being a Red Wings provides.

And how is this news conjecture when the writer clearly states it's from a person with knowledge of the team's plans? Nowhere does it state that the source was Twitter or Bleacher Report? I'm willing to go out on a limb and say that a writer for SI isn't using message boards as their primary source. And if he was, I hope he's smart enough to site them.

Regarding the Devils finances, this is an interesting read, and from the player himself no less:

Parise doesn’t expect Devils’ financial troubles to impact his future with team

“I don’t know too much about it,” Parise said this morning. “I don’t know what’s going on behind the scenes. The only thing I’ve been told is it’s not going to make a difference. That’s what I’m going on...

Parise also was asked again what his priority would be if he does reach July 1 without a new contract.

“The same as every player’s priority – to have a chance to win,” he said. “You want to win. I’ve said a hundred times before I love playing here. I hope not to leave here. But, priority-wise, it’s just you want to win. You want to have the best opportunity to win year in and year out. Things change quickly in this league, so if you make the playoffs you never know. You just want to have the best opportunity.”

So, money and winning? Wings can offer both.

True. But 6 mil from the Wings or 8.5+ mil from the Panthers or Islanders or some other crap team wanting to reach the floor. He will take that massive overpayment. I'd love for both players to be here, but not at 7mil+ for each.

Again, refer to the post above. Neither of those teams can offer a higher potential for winning than the Wings. It's also pure assumption you're going on that there is "0% chance he'll be a Wing" and that "he will take that massive overpayment" unless you can site a direct quote.

It would be great to get some type of good offensive power. The Wings tend to prefer players that are or can be two-way forwards. I do not know enough about Carter. I heard that Nash is not. I guess all of us want someone really good without giving up much.

This is the part I like/hate the most. Speculation. We've got four days until the trade deadline and it seems pretty likely that Holland still has one more move up his sleeve. So when with the other shoe fall? Closer to the deadline? This afternoon? Tomorrow?

This is the part I like/hate the most. Speculation. We've got four days until the trade deadline and it seems pretty likely that Holland still has one more move up his sleeve. So when with the other shoe fall? Closer to the deadline? This afternoon? Tomorrow?

My guess would be if they get anyone, it will be a forward, perhaps Selanne.

OHHH, I hope, I hope, I hope...! :w00t2:

Meanwhile, I think that Selanne's coming here (and Stuart going to the West Coast) is one of the more logical scenarios out there. We shall see...:cool: