1018 replies to this topic

#761 Detroit # 1 Fan

Detroit # 1 Fan

Truculence.

• HoF Booster
  • 19,074 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 02:11 PM

This.

Everyone needs to chill out. Just because other teams are making desperate moves doesn't mean the Wings should.

How are those desperate moves? They paid decent prices on this kind of day, things we could've done. Fact is, teams were competing with are filling there needs going forward and as of now, we haven't. There's still lots of time, but those moves are good for the Canucks and Sharks, and that is bad for us.

#NOMOREKINDL

#762 NeverForgetMac25

NeverForgetMac25

Kate: Jr. Wing Nut

• Gold Booster Mod
  • 18,184 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 02:11 PM

LAST UPDATED (2-27-2012, 2:06 PM ET)

February 27, 2012 (8 Total Transactions)
Chicago Acquires: (D) Johnny Oduya
Winnipeg Acquires: TBA
It's amazing how much clarity comes when you care more about the Red Wings than any individual player.

"They are the best team in the world. They are a team that can just take over when they want to," Chicago's Patrick Kane said (of the Detroit Red Wings).

#763 Tim.D

Tim.D

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 02:13 PM

leafs, sharks, flyers, and maybe nyr in hunt for nash

2nd and 3rd going for Oduya

Edited by Tim.D, 27 February 2012 - 02:13 PM.

#764 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,608 posts

People are forgetting about Quincey already. That's a significant move on defense that makes us better. Other teams are trading players but they're giving up players, too. Like someone said, Vancouver wasn't a Pahlsson away from winning the Cup. San Jose did get better, though, but they're already weaker than us in the standings.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#765 russianswede919293

russianswede919293

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,535 posts

How are those desperate moves? They paid decent prices on this kind of day, things we could've done. Fact is, teams were competing with are filling there needs going forward and as of now, we haven't. There's still lots of time, but those moves are good for the Canucks and Sharks, and that is bad for us.

I thought a physical D-man who could play the PK was a pretty big need. That is filled by a 26 year old 6'2" 207 lbs defenseman who wasn't on Detroit a week ago...

#766 hooon

hooon

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,269 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 02:15 PM

They are desperate moves because a lot of those teams HAD to make moves. The Sharks and Hawks are disasters right now. The Wings are not.

Personally, I'm glad Holland isn't a knee-jerker like some people here want him to be.
Posted Image

#767 Tim.D

Tim.D

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts

both are 2013 picks for Oduya

#768 WorkingOvertime

WorkingOvertime

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,495 posts

I won't be upset unless Brown, Ott, or Gaustad are moved for fair/low prices.

#769 kipwinger

kipwinger

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,276 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 02:16 PM

I thought a physical D-man who could play the PK was a pretty big need. That is filled by a 26 year old 6'2" 207 lbs defenseman who wasn't on Detroit a week ago...

But Kyle Quincey isn't an all star, how could he ever possibly help us out?

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#770 korrowan

korrowan

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 359 posts

I thought the Wings D was solid before that trade. Wings D > Wings offense. That is the problem when the only offense is coming from your 3rd line your team has issues. This team desperately needs scoring. 6 shots on net in the first period against the Avs is pretty embarrassing.

#771 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,608 posts

And Oduya doesn't really make Chicago all that much better right now. Depth, I guess.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#772 Detroit # 1 Fan

Detroit # 1 Fan

Truculence.

• HoF Booster
  • 19,074 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 02:17 PM

I agree. Kenny did a great job filling that need. Problem is, we have more then one need. We have a ton of assets, ton of cap space, and don't have a ton of scoring depth or grit on the bottom lines. Obviously we miss Datsyuk, but if we rely so heavily on one guy to spark the offense and the PP, we're in trouble. Likewise we don't have a strong 4th line center or much grit/big bodied players. Those types are available, like I said, time to make deals. I don't care what anyone feels, if Holland stands pat up front, I think it's a mistake.

#NOMOREKINDL

#773 xBflinker

xBflinker

Prospect

• 44 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 02:17 PM

It's gonna be funny in 5-10 years when San Jose sucks and the wings are still a solid team. Pretty sure they have one of the worst prospect pools in the NHL and they just traded more prospects lol!

San Jose's future after Thorton, Marleau, etc isn't going to be as bright as the Wings'

Still hoping the Wings make something happen here because everyone of our rivals has so far gotten better, at least for this year anyway!

#774 Tim.D

Tim.D

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 02:19 PM

Nothing new out of Buffalo I'm told.

#775 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,136 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 02:19 PM

I agree. Kenny did a great job filling that need. Problem is, we have more then one need. We have a ton of assets, ton of cap space, and don't have a ton of scoring depth or grit on the bottom lines. Obviously we miss Datsyuk, but if we rely so heavily on one guy to spark the offense and the PP, we're in trouble. Likewise we don't have a strong 4th line center or much grit/big bodied players. Those types are available, like I said, time to make deals. I don't care what anyone feels, if Holland stands pat up front, I think it's a mistake.

I tend to agree with you, only because of Lidstrom potentially retiring. Like you said, they have the cap space. When was the last time that happened? If Holland was ever going to gamble, now is the time.

#776 russianswede919293

russianswede919293

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,535 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 02:20 PM

I thought the Wings D was solid before that trade. Wings D > Wings offense. That is the problem when the only offense is coming from your 3rd line your team has issues. This team desperately needs scoring. 6 shots on net in the first period against the Avs is pretty embarrassing.

What players traded today really do much for offense though. Jeff Carter, Steve Downie, Andrei Kostitsyn were the only top 6 guys traded. The rest of the forwards moved would fill the bottom 6. Its not like the Wings are missing out on tons of scoring forwards that have been moved.

#777 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,947 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 02:20 PM

Datsyuk will be our big acquisition. :rolleyes:
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#778 Tim.D

Tim.D

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 02:21 PM

Derek Roy may be a Blackhawk by the end of the day, one tweeter suggests.

#779 hooon

hooon

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,269 posts

Past few days everyone is bringing up the scoring depth, which I simply do not get.

We have one of the highest scoring teams in the league and have TEN players with ten or more goals. We get a lot more scoring from the bottom two lines than most other teams get from their 3rd and 4th lines. That is the definition of scoring depth.

What we need is not depth scoring, it is high end scoring. It is a top 6 scorer that would help this team, and those players simply aren't available this TDL.
Posted Image

#780 Shaman

Shaman

Die hard Red Wing fan and realist.

• Silver Booster
  • 3,846 posts

Didn't Holland say over the summer that he was going to use the cap space he saved not signing a big name to get someone at the deadline?
Feuer und Wasser kommt nicht zusammen
Kann man nicht binden sind nicht verwandt
In Funken versunken steh ich in Flammen
und bin im Wasser verbrannt
Im Wasser verbrannt