• Please log in to reply
1018 replies to this topic

#781 Nightfall

Nightfall

My goal is to deny yours!

• Gold Booster
  • 3,739 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 02:21 PM

They are desperate moves because a lot of those teams HAD to make moves. The Sharks and Hawks are disasters right now. The Wings are not.

Personally, I'm glad Holland isn't a knee-jerker like some people here want him to be.

I have to agree.

You would think with 4 Stanley Cups to his name in the last 15 years that Ken Holland would have gotten at least a little credit. Instead, I get the impression that everyone here wants him to make some deal that will mortgage the future of this team and go for broke this season. I just don't get that thought process.
Christopher Brian Dudek
My Domain

#782 hoogs

hoogs

3rd Line Checker

• Silver Booster
  • 403 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 02:22 PM

Everything big always happens at the last minute. I'm holding out hope!

#783 Nightfall

Nightfall

• Gold Booster
  • 3,739 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 02:24 PM

Didn't Holland say over the summer that he was going to use the cap space he saved not signing a big name to get someone at the deadline?

As if anyone is going to just give us a big name by just dumping salary and not asking for something in return......

He has the salary space, but when GMs like the Islanders are asking for a top prospect and a #1 draft choice for Parenteau, I have to agree with Kenny. Too expensive.
Christopher Brian Dudek
My Domain

#784 Tim.D

Tim.D

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 02:24 PM

Quiet before the storm...

#785 Detroit # 1 Fan

Detroit # 1 Fan

Truculence.

• HoF Booster
  • 19,026 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 02:25 PM

I have to agree.

You would think with 4 Stanley Cups to his name in the last 15 years that Ken Holland would have gotten at least a little credit. Instead, I get the impression that everyone here wants him to make some deal that will mortgage the future of this team and go for broke this season. I just don't get that thought process.

No one is saying that. What people like myself and others are saying, is that we have some needs, we have cap space and assets and there are deals to be made. I don't want Kenny to trade our 2013 1st rounder for Paul Gaustad. Would be I excited if the deal was Emmerton+3rd for Gaustad? Sure would. Or a similar deal for a David Jones type? Also yes.

The trade deadline is more about the cheeky moves, the smaller ones, that pay big dividends.

#NOMOREKINDL

#786 Tim.D

Tim.D

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 02:27 PM

Nucks and Preds making late calls...

#787 russianswede919293

russianswede919293

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,535 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 02:27 PM

No one is saying that. What people like myself and others are saying, is that we have some needs, we have cap space and assets and there are deals to be made. I don't want Kenny to trade our 2013 1st rounder for Paul Gaustad. Would be I excited if the deal was Emmerton+3rd for Gaustad? Sure would. Or a similar deal for a David Jones type? Also yes.

The trade deadline is more about the cheeky moves, the smaller ones, that pay big dividends.

That said the asking price for Gaustad was rumored to be a 1st rounder and never said to be any less.

I regret not getting Pahlsson since 2 4th rounders is practically nothing. But just because Pahlsson went for that doesn't mean Regier will lower his asking price. You can lament missing Pahlsson for 2 4ths but without knowing what COL or BUF were willing to settle on for Jones or Gaustad you cannot say he missed the boat. Colorado and Buffalo may have had set requests they wouldn't budge on.

#788 pondrocket

pondrocket

Rookie

• Pip
  • 194 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 02:28 PM

Kenny is being responsible to returning money to the bottom line. he builds teams that do well in the regular season, sell lots of tickets, even more beer & Red Wing swag. A good playoff team is not always a good regular season team. He knows how to build great reg season teams. He certainly knows more then most, but I am beyond board with the milk toast style of team. I have wasted my last Trade deadline day. Used to be my favorite day of the year. He has the money, he has the need. He is just content. too content.

#789 Shaman

Shaman

Die hard Red Wing fan and realist.

• Silver Booster
  • 3,840 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 02:31 PM

Per the Fourth Period: Nashville still looking to deal, as is Montreal, Detroit and Boston.

Please god.
Feuer und Wasser kommt nicht zusammen
Kann man nicht binden sind nicht verwandt
In Funken versunken steh ich in Flammen
und bin im Wasser verbrannt
Im Wasser verbrannt

#790 russianswede919293

russianswede919293

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,535 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 02:31 PM

If Detroit and Montreal are looking to deal...how bout Moen?

#791 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,516 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 02:32 PM

Well, we know Holland will make a move. And all the big moves happen last-minute. Ergo.....
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#792 Tim.D

Tim.D

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts

Avs are done, not dealing Jones today per Adrian Dater

#793 hooon

hooon

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,212 posts

Kenny is being responsible to returning money to the bottom line. he builds teams that do well in the regular season, sell lots of tickets, even more beer & Red Wing swag. A good playoff team is not always a good regular season team. He knows how to build great reg season teams. He certainly knows more then most, but I am beyond board with the milk toast style of team. I have wasted my last Trade deadline day. Used to be my favorite day of the year. He has the money, he has the need. He is just content. too content.

How do you have any idea what he has been doing today or who he has talked to? People always seem to think Holland can just do anything he wants at any time, as though there aren't 29 other teams and as though those teams just want to make us better without improving themselves.

I wouldn't mind another move at the right price but I simply don't understand all the Holland bashing when he has already made some good moves and has one of the best teams in the league.
Posted Image

#794 Majsheppard

Majsheppard

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,512 posts

Hearing out of Colorado that Avs won't move Jones...

The Wings seem to have missed out on the period where costs came down a bit, and now they prob are getting higher as time runs out and players dwindle.
"It is a lot easier to be an ******* to words than to people"-xkcd

Tootoo does NOT belong on this team. He is classless and I would rather see the Wings be bad than classless. I feel the same way about Bertuzzi as well, but he at least CAN make the team better. With Tootoo the team becomes worse and in danger of being classless. Would you have liked Claude on the team? Or Roy? No. So why would you be okay with that POS.

This thread has been closed due to emotions being higher than people's ability to read, interpret, and properly respond to simple posts.

#795 russianswede919293

russianswede919293

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,535 posts

Dater (Avs beat writer) reports that the Avs are done and Jones will not be traded.

#796 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,662 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 02:33 PM

I wish I tapped Holland's phone right about now.

"Papa John's? Can you make a delivery?"
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#797 russianswede919293

russianswede919293

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,535 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 02:35 PM

Only move I wish Kenny had made that went through was on Pahlsson; thought it was fair price for a guy that could help.

Cannot judge him on players that were not traded (Jones or Gaustad) as they are probably not traded for a reason (aka asking for way too much in return)

#798 RedWingAbner

RedWingAbner

My Loony Bun Is Fine, Benny Lava

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,319 posts

This deadline is enough to bring me out of the shadows.....

Ken Holland has got to be the luckiest GM in the NHL. Don't flame it before you read on. Hakan Andersson is the scout who found the core of the late draft steals--Lidstrom, Holmstrom, Datsyuk, Franzen, Zetterberg, etc.

With arguably the greatest defenseman of all-time, Ken has been content to just let years slide away. So what if the asking price for Parenteau is a 1st. Oh no! Hold onto that so we can get another Jakub Kindl! Hey, maybe we can grab a guy that Kenny waived for a first....is Matt Ellis on the block?

Last I checked, Mike Illitch paid the bills and the players played. Ken Holland has been more of a hindrance to this dynasty than an asset.

That said, if he pulls off a deal for a 3rd liner, I take this all back.

#799 Andy Pred 48

Andy Pred 48

Coming soon,"the slovak line" Marek and 2 Toms!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,864 posts

well less than 30 mins to go Qunicey and a 7th((poss) pick in and Commodore out. thats it for this year anyone who thinks more is going to happen dont hold your breath.
"What are you guys doing?" Reggie Dunlop
"Putting on the foil coach" Jeff Hanson
"Yeah, every game, you want some coach?" Steve Hanson
"Er, no. No thanks guys." Reggie Dunlop
"Make sure they don't leave the bench!" Reggie Dunlop.

#800 Nightfall

Nightfall

• Gold Booster
  • 3,739 posts

Actually, there are people saying that, so don't say no one is saying it. They want Nash and are willing to give up prospects and draft picks for him. :)

People such as yourself are aligned with what I believe as well. Probably Kenny too for that matter. Getting that right deal is going to be difficult.
Christopher Brian Dudek
My Domain