• Please log in to reply
1018 replies to this topic

#101 13dangledangle

13dangledangle

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,839 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 12:31 PM

Unfortunately the Ducks have gone on a bit of a tear lately after being way out of it earlier in the month. Really the only teams in the West that can be written off are Edmonton and C-bus.

What would it cost for Eberle??
....Ladies and Gentlemen Jimmy "F%$*ing" Howard.

#102 Pskov Wings Fan

Pskov Wings Fan

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 12:33 PM

Unfortunately the Ducks have gone on a bit of a tear lately after being way out of it earlier in the month. Really the only teams in the West that can be written off are Edmonton and C-bus.

We can probably get Hemsky but I do not see why Wings would need him.

#103 redwingfan19

redwingfan19

On a mission

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,523 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 12:33 PM

What would it cost for Eberle??

The Oilers wouldn't even trade Eberle for Datsyuk so you can forget about it :cool:
You may not like tough hockey, but it's winning hockey.

Mitch Callahan: 48GP, 6G, 3A, 9PTS,+/- -3, 103PIMS

14 Fighting Majors

#104 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,611 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 12:36 PM

OHHH, I hope, I hope, I hope...! :w00t2:

Meanwhile, I think that Selanne's coming here (and Stuart going to the West Coast) is one of the more logical scenarios out there. We shall see...:cool:

I don't think Stuart gets traded. He's vital to a Cup win. I think we'd rather lose him for nothing after winning the Cup than trade him now and risk throwing our defensive depth out of whack for a scorer who might get cold at the worst possible time. I think the Quincey trade shows that Holland wanted a replacement locked up before the bidding wars of the off-season hits. Meaning he fully intends on keeping Stuart.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#105 Bannedforlife

Bannedforlife

your mom goes to college

• PipPipPipPip
  • 855 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 01:25 PM

The plan is for Kenny to sign Suter as a UFA this summer to replace Stuart. The NEXT summer is when Kenny signs Weber as a UFA to replace Nick. See it all works out. :thumbup:

Suter - Weber
Kronwall - Smith
Quincey - Kindl

That's not a top 6 I'd like to play against

#106 amato

amato

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,654 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 01:34 PM

True. But 6 mil from the Wings or 8.5+ mil from the Panthers or Islanders or some other crap team wanting to reach the floor. He will take that massive overpayment. I'd love for both players to be here, but not at 7mil+ for each.

Yea agreed, 95% of the time players will go to where ever pays the most but all I'm saying is its possible... Mostly wishful thinking but possible

Datsyukian

Dat·syu·ki·an [dat-soo-kee-uh n]

adjective

1. When your moves are so amazing and beyond reason, the only way to describe them is "datsyukian."

#107 kook_10

kook_10

I Like Our Team

• Gold Booster
  • 2,238 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 02:49 PM

We still are missing a key ingredient - Konopka :ph34r:

works every time

#108 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,339 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 04:03 PM

Teams can offer all the money they want. What they can't offer is playing with Hank/Pav/Howard and possibly Nick along with the treatment that being a Red Wings provides.

And how is this news conjecture when the writer clearly states it's from a person with knowledge of the team's plans? Nowhere does it state that the source was Twitter or Bleacher Report? I'm willing to go out on a limb and say that a writer for SI isn't using message boards as their primary source. And if he was, I hope he's smart enough to site them.

Regarding the Devils finances, this is an interesting read, and from the player himself no less:

Parise doesn’t expect Devils’ financial troubles to impact his future with team

So, money and winning? Wings can offer both.

Again, refer to the post above. Neither of those teams can offer a higher potential for winning than the Wings. It's also pure assumption you're going on that there is "0% chance he'll be a Wing" and that "he will take that massive overpayment" unless you can site a direct quote.

Find me any good teammate that has said, "this place sucks, get me out of here". Obviously the financial strains in the Devils won't effect Parise if they offer him the money...but they can't.

I was right about every single UFA and RFA this past summer about not signing here. Holland is predictable and has set trends. Those trends say Parise and Weber are not signing here before or during their primes. Quote me on it. Bet me on it. I want Parise and Weber here as bad as the next person, but it's just not happening.
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#109 NeverForgetMac25

NeverForgetMac25

Kate: Jr. Wing Nut

• Gold Booster Mod
  • 18,184 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 05:10 PM

Find me any good teammate that has said, "this place sucks, get me out of here". Obviously the financial strains in the Devils won't effect Parise if they offer him the money...but they can't.

I was right about every single UFA and RFA this past summer about not signing here. Holland is predictable and has set trends. Those trends say Parise and Weber are not signing here before or during their primes. Quote me on it. Bet me on it. I want Parise and Weber here as bad as the next person, but it's just not happening.

Those "trends" are because the Wings simply haven't needed to overpay up to this point. When Lids retires, I'd bet anything Holland will do absolutely everything he can to fix the hemorrhage. When guys like Stuart leave, that's what the band-aids are for.

No way in hell Holland all of a sudden goes against the cornerstone of his success in his time here. Defense first, serviceable goaltending and a strong offense: he'll stick to his proven recipe. Meaning, guys like Suter or Weber will be signed before a guy like Parise is. Then whatever money is left, throw at the offense.
It's amazing how much clarity comes when you care more about the Red Wings than any individual player.

"They are the best team in the world. They are a team that can just take over when they want to," Chicago's Patrick Kane said (of the Detroit Red Wings).

#110 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,818 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 05:16 PM

As much as I hope and pray for both Parise and Suter, I am afraid you may be right. Perfect example being Wisniewski. He signed with Columbus for a way overpayment, not even regarding the chances of winning a Stanley Cup. Look where he is sitting right now....I had said when he signed that he would not finish his contract out in Columbus and I really believe it. Heck, if they are willing to get rid of Nash, then nobody is untouchable really.

With more and more elite teams adopting the Red Wings model of running a franchise, players are going to have to start accepting less cash for the chance to win now or just follow the money around and forever be a "never-been." I just don't underdstand some players, but if to them it's all about money, then it's their own fault...

Honestly, besides the obvious mathematical answer, what is the difference between $6.5M and $8.0M? You could be a Champion or never make the playoffs let alone win anything...but sure glad you got that extra $1.5M to play more golf with!

Parise in Detroit for less makes him a multiple Champion, $8.0M+ in Carolina or Buffalo? Not.....

Back on subject, I like the Quincey pick up, Migity Mac© has solidified the goalie position. If Holland isn't getting a sniper, then give me Ott or Morrow and tighten your seatbelts for the playoff grind! (I know Ott has a NTC, but they can always be waived to the right team.)

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Nestrasil, yes...Cleary....No!

Dump Q and K Now!

#111 Esquire

Esquire

Fix up, Look sharp.

• HoF Booster
  • 1,268 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 05:21 PM

According to Cap Geek:

2009-10 Detroit Red Wings: Spending = $58,827,920 Cap Space = $0
2010-11 Detroit Red Wings: Spending = $59,497,095 Cap Space = $44,155
2011-12 Detroit Red Wings: Spending = $59,119,568 Cap Space = $4,730,432

Well ya, it isn't difficult to predict Holland being inactive at the deadline with a whopping $44k in the bank last year! We also had to sign Lidstrom, Ericsson, White, as well as plan for Kronwall's raise in that year/off-season. You're able to call them "trends" because there simply hasn't been money to spend on UFA's/RFA's without throwing in a player or pick in trade; now there is money. This isn't conjecture or speculation either, it's cold, hard numbers.

Going into next season the Wings will have Pav, Hank, Mule, Flip, Cleary, Bert, Eaves, Miller, Mursak, Emmerton, Ericsson, White, Kronwall, Kindl, Howard, and MacDonald ALL locked up for at least one more year. And if Cap Geek is correct, the Wings will have $22 million in cap space to sign players.

Assuming as you are, that Suter, Weber, Parise, or any other big name player won't be pursued, is just your opinion based on the dealings of a GM who hasn't had the money or roster spots available to him. Now he has both.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#112 Xraymind7781

Xraymind7781

Jr. Prospect

• 19 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 05:39 PM

According to Cap Geek:

2009-10 Detroit Red Wings: Spending = $58,827,920 Cap Space = $0
2010-11 Detroit Red Wings: Spending = $59,497,095 Cap Space = $44,155
2011-12 Detroit Red Wings: Spending = $59,119,568 Cap Space = $4,730,432

Well ya, it isn't difficult to predict Holland being inactive at the deadline with a whopping $44k in the bank last year! We also had to sign Lidstrom, Ericsson, White, as well as plan for Kronwall's raise in that year/off-season. You're able to call them "trends" because there simply hasn't been money to spend on UFA's/RFA's without throwing in a player or pick in trade; now there is money. This isn't conjecture or speculation either, it's cold, hard numbers.

Going into next season the Wings will have Pav, Hank, Mule, Flip, Cleary, Bert, Eaves, Miller, Mursak, Emmerton, Ericsson, White, Kronwall, Kindl, Howard, and MacDonald ALL locked up for at least one more year. And if Cap Geek is correct, the Wings will have $22 million in cap space to sign players.

Assuming as you are, that Suter, Weber, Parise, or any other big name player won't be pursued, is just your opinion based on the dealings of a GM who hasn't had the money or roster spots available to him. Now he has both.

There will be big names coming in if nick retires. There is no way the wings will sit on a surplus of cap space. This team has always done all it can for the best competitive edge. I doubt that will change for a very long time.

#113 redwingfan19

redwingfan19

On a mission

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,523 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 06:20 PM

CBJ and LAK working on a trade to send Carter to LAK

Spector's Hockey ‏ @SpectorsHockey
Rumblings the Kings and Blue Jackets working on a trade which would ship Carter to L.A. Stay tuned....

14 Fighting Majors

#114 Tim.D

Tim.D

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 06:29 PM

Couple things:

Carter to LA to be completed within 24 hours. Sources telling me JJ and 1st rounder involved. No Bernier.

Wings scouting Ducks Canes game tonight.

#115 redwingfan19

redwingfan19

On a mission

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,523 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 06:32 PM

Couple things:

Carter to LA to be completed within 24 hours. Sources telling me JJ and 1st rounder involved. No Bernier.

Wings scouting Ducks Canes game tonight.

who could the wings be scouting?

i still think there is no way selanne ever becomes a wing.

14 Fighting Majors

#116 Wingzman91

Wingzman91

2nd Pair Defenseman

• Bronze Booster
  • 309 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 06:34 PM

some tweets to back up Tim.D

@TSNBobMcKenzie: LAK and CBJ are working hard to get a Jeff Carter trade done -- Jack Johnson's name featured prominently as well -- but told not done. Yet.
@DarrenDreger: Sources say Carter to LA is possible...perhaps, likely, but not imminent. Minute by minute watch now.

#117 cwilson

cwilson

Jr. Prospect

• 17 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 06:38 PM

CBJ and LAK working on a trade to send Carter to LAK

Spector's Hockey ‏ @SpectorsHockey
Rumblings the Kings and Blue Jackets working on a trade which would ship Carter to L.A. Stay tuned....

Hmmmmm If this is true would be a good move for LAK, depending on what they would have to give up. However, if we stand pat through the whole deadline process, I will be disappointed. We still need that 1 -2 players to put us over the hump. IMO. We need PP / PPK / help desperately. The deeper we go into the playoffs, the more it will show. Amoung other things.... :siren:

#118 Tim.D

Tim.D

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 06:42 PM

Well, this means Mike Richards gets an old friend in LA!

If I hear anything else involving JC I'll let you guys know. This trade would leave NYR and SJ to get Nash... Likely at the draft.

#119 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 06:47 PM

Is Lombardi TRYING to get himself fired?

#120 Jeff6851

Jeff6851

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 726 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 06:48 PM

You've got to think that Weber loves the energy of the crowd every time the Preds come to town...
Detroit fan living in St. Louis
"To whom much is given, much is expected."
"Play them six times, they might win four, but not this game. Not tonight."
"Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard."