• Please log in to reply
1018 replies to this topic

#161 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

This is how I watch Wings games

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 01:43 AM

Hey LA... Maybe Hudler would go well with Carter.

Y'all can at least share hookers and strippers.

EDIT:

Franzen-Datsyuk-Bertuzzi
Filppula-Zetterberg-Brown

Edited by Red Wings Addict, 24 February 2012 - 01:49 AM.

#162 Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

LGW's impromptu Photoshopper

• Silver Booster
  • 4,340 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 02:44 AM

I thought Jack Johnson was supposed to be the phashizzle. Why does he keep getting traded?

Because he is overrated offensive garbage.

No idea why people assume he is so valuable despite his play. He has been a terrible disappointment for the Kings.

Posted Image

#163 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,015 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 03:34 AM

Because he is overrated offensive garbage.

No idea why people assume he is so valuable despite his play. He has been a terrible disappointment for the Kings.

That's overstating it just a bit.

Honestly I'm not much of a fan, but I get what people see in him. He's big, can throw huge hits, great puck mover and offensively talented (he was often in the shootout for the Kings). But his decisionmaking has always been suspect. And has not improved. He'll step up to make a big hit at the worst possible time, leading to a breakaway or two on one.

#164 T.Low

T.Low

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,980 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 03:48 AM

Thanks to you both, that explains it well enough.

#165 Hockey13Playa

Hockey13Playa

Here's my card.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,413 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 04:25 AM

Yeah, he's got to be Blue going from LA to the Buckeye state. Double ouch for him. I would have to go out and buy a new Ferrari just to have something to smile about. (Can you get a blue Ferrari?)

Yeah playing college hockey at UofM and now playing NHL hockey there is a low blow. I'd hate to play for such a s***ty franchise. I don't think there's a single perk playing there. No blue Ferraris but I'm sure he's got some extra change for a custom paint job ;)

Posted Image

#166 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

This is how I watch Wings games

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 05:04 AM

Or maybe a lineup with Brown and Hudler

Franzen-Datsyuk-Bertuzzi
Filppula-Zetterberg-Hudler
Cleary-Helm-Brown
Holmstrom-Abdelkader-Miller

Lidstrom-White
Kronwall-Stuart
Ericsson-Quincey

Howard-MacDonald

#167 Aussie_Wing

Aussie_Wing

Mursak

• Bronze Booster
  • 8,550 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 05:25 AM

Jack Johnson is the most overrated player in the NHL. I honestly think hes fairly garbage. He can hit, he can score, but he is terrible defensively, no awareness, turnovers, just often a liability.

Ken Holland: Hes (Mursak) a young guy, provides energy, can skate, hes a puck hound.

#168 Esquire

Esquire

Fix up, Look sharp.

• HoF Booster
  • 1,268 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 09:08 AM

As per Bob McKenzie on Twitter:

BOS, BUF, EDM, NJD, NYR, PHI, TOR, VAN are amongst teams with high levels of interest in Brown. #TradeCentre #TSN

Wonder if the Wings have shown any interest at all.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#169 Ozzie30

Ozzie30

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,659 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 09:46 AM

As per Bob McKenzie on Twitter:

Wonder if the Wings have shown any interest at all.

I hope so. Brown's got 2 more years at just over 3 a season and he's a huge upgrade over Hudler and Cleary. Its rumored LA is looking for a young defenseman and solid secondary scorer in return. Unless LA will take Hudler (ufa) or Cleary, I.don't see this happening.
RIP #24

#170 stinky fish taco

stinky fish taco

FEED ME NEGS

• Restricted
  • PipPipPip
  • 668 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 09:58 AM

Its rumored LA is looking for a young defenseman and solid secondary scorer in return.

commence the kindl+hudler proposals Posted Image

Helm is a perennial Selke candidate

LOL

#171 St. Michael (the Red Wing)

St. Michael (the Red Wing)

Heavenly With the Puck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 10:36 AM

Probably take Smith and either Filppula or Helm for Brown. Not worth it.

#172 NeverForgetMac25

NeverForgetMac25

Kate: Jr. Wing Nut

• Gold Booster Mod
  • 18,184 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 10:37 AM

LAST UPDATED (2-24-2012, 10:36 AM ET)

February 23, 2012 (1 Total Transaction)
Los Angeles Acquires: (F) Jeff Carter
Columbus Acquires: (D) Jack Johnson, 1st-Round Pick (2013-conditional)
It's amazing how much clarity comes when you care more about the Red Wings than any individual player.

"They are the best team in the world. They are a team that can just take over when they want to," Chicago's Patrick Kane said (of the Detroit Red Wings).

#173 Ozzie30

Ozzie30

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,659 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 10:47 AM

Teemu Selanne writes on his MTV3 blog that he is not going to go to another 'play-off contender' -- Janne Virtanen (@Amateur_hockey)
RIP #24

#174 esteef

esteef

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 12:48 PM

LAST UPDATED (2-24-2012, 10:36 AM ET)

February 23, 2012 (1 Total Transaction)
Los Angeles Acquires: (F) Jeff Carter
Columbus Acquires: (D) Jack Johnson, 1st-Round Pick (2013-conditional)

I minus'ed you for not using colorful fonts! :P

esteef
"The Wings haven't won a Cup without Darren McCarty since 1955."

#175 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,015 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 12:52 PM

I hope so. Brown's got 2 more years at just over 3 a season and he's a huge upgrade over Hudler and Cleary. Its rumored LA is looking for a young defenseman and solid secondary scorer in return. Unless LA will take Hudler (ufa) or Cleary, I.don't see this happening.

I dont' know why they'd be looking for a young D-man. If anything they could use some more experience on the blueline. They got rid of JJ but have this kid Voynov, Doughty and Martinez are young. And Greene and Drewisky are only in their late 20s.

Like a lot of teams, they need a true goal scorer.

#176 mmamolo

mmamolo

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,809 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 01:12 PM

Look here's the reality: Holland wants to have flexibility to take a serious run at Suter, Webber or Parise in the offseason. So anyone they add will probably be:
A) An RFA or UFA this summer
or
B) Affordable going forward (or with a comparable salary going the other way)
or
C) Too good a deal to pass up

Holland's going to want to have enough cap space available to keep Lidstrom around (assuming he doesn't retire) AND sign Suter/Webber/Parise.

Anyone who thinks Holland should load up on non-expiring contracts right now just because he's got the room under the cap is a fool. There's no way Holland jeopardizes future success at this stage.

I thnk your assumptions are pretty accurate. That being said I could see (or maybe I just hope) the Wings being interested in Brown. No way the Kings deal him to the Wings (as they are very possibly first round opponents) but if they did I could see Brown being a perect fit on the Wings. He's 27, has two more years at $3.125M anbd is a 25+ goal scorer.
Posted Imagewww.unsportsmanlike.ca

#177 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,015 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 01:39 PM

I thnk your assumptions are pretty accurate. That being said I could see (or maybe I just hope) the Wings being interested in Brown. No way the Kings deal him to the Wings (as they are very possibly first round opponents) but if they did I could see Brown being a perect fit on the Wings. He's 27, has two more years at $3.125M anbd is a 25+ goal scorer.

I don't know why the Kings would move Brown unless he was packaged for an elite scorer.

They can't score goals, and Brown is second on the team with 15 (to Kopitar's 17). They already traded away their leading goal scoring D man.

#178 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 02:49 PM

I think many people here forget at times that the Red Wings organization is a business. The success of that business is largely contingent upon the team being successful every season. Does this mean winning the Cup every season? Of course not, as experience has shown. But it's very important that the team always be a contender. Mortgaging the future for one shot at the Cup is very bad business. It makes far more sense for the organization to, say, make it to the second or third round five years in a row than it does for the team to win the Cup and then sink into mediocrity for lack of a farm.

#179 rick zombo

rick zombo

Grit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,142 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 03:30 PM

I think many people here forget at times that the Red Wings organization is a business. The success of that business is largely contingent upon the team being successful every season. Does this mean winning the Cup every season? Of course not, as experience has shown. But it's very important that the team always be a contender. Mortgaging the future for one shot at the Cup is very bad business. It makes far more sense for the organization to, say, make it to the second or third round five years in a row than it does for the team to win the Cup and then sink into mediocrity for lack of a farm.

I plused you for this. I would like to say though, Detroit most certainly are in the business of winning. This business, for Detroit, includes winning an actual cup every now and then on top of consistently winning in the regular season. I know Holland is building for the future and no one here, if secretly polled, would choose a cup this year in return for 5 years of not making the playoffs. But this team is closer than 2011 and 2010's teams were and closer(maybe - depending on how free agent season goes) than any team in the next 2-3 years might be. I mean let's face it, the home-grown core is getting older. Anyway, I guess all I'm trying to say is a guy like Brown, with a cap hit of 3+M wouldn't tie Holland's hands as far as free agency goes, and I don't think trading ONE of Jarnkrok or Jurco or Oullett or Tatar or, hell, even Nyquist along with a 2nd round pick or Cleary or, EVEN Filpulla would jeopordize any business related success moving forward. Maybe if Holland went uber-crazy every year at the deadline, but that won't happen.

Edited by rick zombo, 24 February 2012 - 03:31 PM.

"In Detroit, every day is a good day to win"

#180 mmamolo

mmamolo

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,809 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 03:48 PM

I don't know why the Kings would move Brown unless he was packaged for an elite scorer.

They can't score goals, and Brown is second on the team with 15 (to Kopitar's 17). They already traded away their leading goal scoring D man.

I'm not disagreeing with that at all. But if he were available..
Posted Imagewww.unsportsmanlike.ca