• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Hockeytown0001

Detroit native Alice Cooper a big hockey fan

Rate this topic

Rocker Alice Cooper is a big hockey buff

ACAE725FDDC4EB7ABA859ED7CA65.jpg

GLENDALE, Ariz. -- To Alice Cooper, no sport resembles rock n' roll more than hockey – which is why it's been his favorite sport since he was a young boy in Detroit and remains so as a long-time resident of Arizona.

"Baseball is slow, basketball is slow. Football is better on TV," Cooper said. "But hockey never stops, just like rock n' roll. It's very similar. It's relentless."

One of the state's most recognizable stars, Cooper comes to see the Coyotes about 20 times a year, but Saturday he was at Jobing.com Arena for "Alice Cooper Bobblehead Night" -- he is depicted in full stage makeup with a snake wrapped around his shoulders, but wearing a Coyotes sweater inside his leather jacket.

"I grew up in Hockeytown and when I was ‘this tall,' my dad would take me to see Gordie Howe and Terry Sawchuk and Ted Lindsay and those guys," he said. "Those were rough guys; there was blood on the ice every night. And all I reember about (the old Olympia) was that it smelled like cigars and beer. But Detroit basically smelled like cigars and beer all over, so …

"I also remember going out on the lake at night and they would light it up and we would play pick-up hockey games. So I Iove the sport.

"If you got to a baseball game, or basketball or football … there is never a game where you jump out of your seat more than in hockey. I keep saying the game should have been called ‘Ohhhhh' because that's what you do 20 times a night. It's by far, the most fun sport to watch live."

The bobbleheads were distributed on "Coop's Troops Night" in Glendale, As a special thank you, the Coyotes are offered active military and veterans special ticket offers for the game, part of a season-long tribute the Coyotes have offered to the troops.

"Anytime you can combine rock n' roll, sports and support for the troops, everybody is all over that," Cooper said. "I know Ted Nugent goes over there all the time and lot of rock groups go over and play concerts. We definitely want to do that. But anytime you can support the military … they are all rock n' roll fans and all sports fans and anytime you can bring a little bit of home to them, I'm all over that."

Cooper said he's never had a bobblehead likeness of him done during his 40-plus years in music. He was impressed by the likeness and said the limited edition souvenir would be a hot item among his fans worldwide.

"It's amazing. I thought it was going to be a little piece of plastic but this thing has some weight to it. It's a real bobblehead," he said. "And my fans around the world – this is like the Holy Grail to them. They always try to get the stuff that nobody else can get – the first printings of press copies, a piece of clothing from the stage … but a bobblehead? And they know there are only 10,000 of them? Our European fans are already in line ... they are going to be at a real price-point."

Cooper said he hopes the team will resolve its ownership problems and secure a long-term future here -- and he said that selfishly.

"We need to be a four-sport city, and it's the only sport that I constantly go to," he said. "I got to a couple of baseball and basketball games and maybe one football game a year, but I go to a lot of hockey games so I don't want to see it move.

"It's too good a franchise to leave (Arizona). And go to Hamilton? Come on."

I'm a big Alice Cooper fan and it's pretty cool to see that he appreciates his roots here in Detroit. I was at his concert at DTE this past August and he made it clear he was proud to be from Detroit. Highlight from that same concert -

Edited by Hockeytown0001

I am sure glad he didn't move to Colorado or Missouri. He is one of the ones where I wondered why, if he grew up a Wings fan, then did he lose his allegiance? I understand supporting your local team by going to games, but you can't switch bloodlines! My in-laws used to live in Sunrise and when the Panthers moved there from Miami, they got season tickets and supported their team, but when it came down to it, they were still and are still (in Las Vegas now) huge Wings fans. Also the likes of Dave Coulier, Kristen Bell, Jeff Daniels to name a few, they would never change their bloodline and become a fan of Anaheim or LA. I am glad Vincent is still a huge hockey fan, Lord knows they need them in the desert, but for at least 2 games a year, he should be wearing Red & White.

I am sure glad he didn't move to Colorado or Missouri. He is one of the ones where I wondered why, if he grew up a Wings fan, then did he lose his allegiance? I understand supporting your local team by going to games, but you can't switch bloodlines! My in-laws used to live in Sunrise and when the Panthers moved there from Miami, they got season tickets and supported their team, but when it came down to it, they were still and are still (in Las Vegas now) huge Wings fans. Also the likes of Dave Coulier, Kristen Bell, Jeff Daniels to name a few, they would never change their bloodline and become a fan of Anaheim or LA. I am glad Vincent is still a huge hockey fan, Lord knows they need them in the desert, but for at least 2 games a year, he should be wearing Red & White.

Do you know him personaly or something? Where did he say he no longer likes the Wings?

He has lived in AZ for a long time and is a die hard hockey fan, so naturally, one would expect him to become a fan of the team in the place in which he has lived for decades, no?

It's weird that he says that about baseball, since I've seen him on the MLB Network in a segment where he argues against himself about his split fandom between the Tigers and Diamondbacks.

It's weird that he says that about baseball, since I've seen him on the MLB Network in a segment where he argues against himself about his split fandom between the Tigers and Diamondbacks.

Maybe it's the comparison to hockey and not that he doesnt like it? I mean like for me, baseball is meh but I still enjoy going to games.

I don't think he is a Detroit Red Wing hater by any means, but as for someone who lives in the area, he is huge here. I believe he still has his radio show out here, and if not, he does a lot of guest spots on a popular rock station. He does have a suite at Jobing.om arena, and is there at games frequently. He comes across to me, as a big supporter of the community as a whole. His biggest love though by far is golf. He is always playing in tournaments out here, and does a lot of charity type of work with the game of golf.

You have to do what you can to keep the game in your area if you live in a non-hockey region. It's not uncommon to have your favourite team and still cheer for the local guys (says the gal watching the Wild) as long as it doesn't hurt your team.

His radio show broadcasts up here in syndication. Pretty funny guy.

He was also given the Keys to the City of Alice, ND (population 60). My friend's brother was in the band they had for the day.